Default PD Heroes and Beholders

I start this thread following a question raised in my mind. Many PD Heroes adventure in Guilds with strict rules about using the AH and the Brokers. These PD only use looted magic items. A Deathblock item is hard to loot below level 10.
    Then how do these Heroes face a Beholder casting for instance Phantasmal Killer? (Deathward spell doesn't ward because of Beholder anti-magic field.)

High HP + High Fort Save plus pray most of the time.

If you are lucky enough to have found a resist 20 fire cloak it helps A LOT against their scorching ray.

They don't cast Phantasmal Killer (Tharaak hounds do though) they cast Finger of Death. So just one fort save or you're dead.

If you are level 4-8 you MAY see a deathblock item. They have them on the end reward list RARELY for tangleroot, along with Moderate Fortification items.

The best protection in PD against a beholder IMHO is being a warforged. You don't take negative levels, so they can't debuff your saves all to heck before disentigrate or finger of death.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamblerjoe View Post
    if u put 1000 smurves in front of 1000 computers, eventually one of them will make a pally that isnt a complete abomination.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonofsteel2 View Post
    Why should I care about what none friends think? It really not like anythink they do are say in this game really affects me.

To fight a beholder with high success it is often wise to study the beholder first, so that you can attack it from locations that are less threatening to you.

Most races will find that all sides pose threats such as enervation and disintegration from the front, hold monster from the right hemisphere, flesh to stone from the left hemisphere, and finger of death from the rear. A Warforged finds that the left hemisphere is the most savory bit to whack, as they are completely immune to flesh to stone and slow. A geared person will find the rear a safe location as deathblock and greater fire resistance can completely nullify any incoming damage (as Bestow Curse can't cause death on its own). Staying in these sweet spots for melee engagement is a tricky task though that requires attention. A beholder does not willingly fire near its prey, preferring to fire from a range of 30-60 feet away from their main target.

For those who wish to remain in the safest location they can choose to take the beholder out from a range. Because all of the beholders major threats are ray attacks they can be dodged if one stays mobile while attacking with things like darts, bows, and projectile halflings. A predictable pattern can be established such that moving around the beholder in a full circle, strafing left and right with the sound of the eyestalks being fired, or jumping (with a reasonable jump score and featherfalling off) will allow you to dodge the rays. Be aware, the animations for the eye rays do not match where they physically get shot, so you have to trust instinct somewhat.

Of course, there is also the possibility of flinging a bit of magic too. Many of the older beholders are such that they have 10 STR and a reflex score as their lowest save, making them very susceptible to strength damage and Web. As they only care to move when their main target is too close or too far they also sit pretty well inside effects like Wall of Fire and Cloudkill.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Ty. So for a PD Hero the best spot I think it will be the left side. But I think I will prefer to fight him at range. I must lure him to a place where I can dodge his rays, like a pillar or a wall.

The safest way to handle a beholder with a PD toon is to avoid him. It's easy to survive the encounter when there isn't an encounter to survive.
    Hide and move silently work wonderfully. Sneak, and keep your distance. Beholders don't have particularly high perception scores [listen and/or spot] so they're fairly easy to sneak by.
    What they do have on the other hand, is a 360 degree viewing arc. So positions that would be safe from being spotted by other creatures may not be safe from a beholder.
    He really does have eyes in the back of his head.

Sneak.
    Keep your distance.
    Keep moving.
    Beholder avoided.
    Hero survives.

The best way to prepare for these beasts is to earn the Silver Flame Amulet from Necroplis I and II. The going can be rough, but it should be possible before level 11, even without the use of shrines as long as you have a radiant servant and wizzie/sorc for firewall. I probably wouldn't risk a PD in there without one or both.

Silver Flame Trinket upgrades into a necklace with 5 charges of negative energy level absorption and deathblock. But you might also be able to get the Mantle of the Worldshaper before too long. And wouldn't that block a beholder's Finger of Death?
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

The other tactic to consider is your weapon set. If you have a weakening or weakening/enfeebling weapon you can turn him into a helpless eyeball in just a few swings as they have a really low str score. Once at zero str, he can't cast at you anymore.

I would imagine Enlarge could be a popular metamagic for PD groups for purposes like these.

There are a great many things you can do slowly, which you can not do quickly without better gear. When I first started playing about a year ago, some of the explorer areas kicked my rear because I entered them early and with else running around meleeing. Then I spent a day in the searing heights and along the way discovered the magic that is returning weapons and draw distance. It took time and was no more than a personal accomplishment at the time, but I cleared the area without a death.

A PD group isn't going to have super awesome gear by most of their rules. A decent bow and some draw distance could do wonders on many dangerous foes like beholders. Most of those groups have the time to proceed a bit slower and aren't necessarily trying to set any speed records.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

I prefer to throw three or four halflings toward the beholder for distraction. In Mortal Voyage, we share consumables freely, so always make sure you have some on hand. Use the halflings to distract the beast while you hack at it with a two hander. If there are no halflings available, use Erky.

Observe...
    http://www.mortalvoyage.com/movie.wmv
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    The other tactic to consider is your weapon set. If you have a weakening or weakening/enfeebling weapon you can turn him into a helpless eyeball in just a few swings as they have a really low str score. Once at zero str, he can't cast at you anymore.
    sounds like a weakening/enfeebling bow is a good thing to have

My tactic is leave the cleric back at the end of the hall (or wherever behind cover) and have my monk and any other high hp/high saves melee toon run towards it. If I make it to it then I use ToD and usually it dies. Now that I know their perception is low I will start sneaking up to it. With all those eyes I just assumed they had a high spot
    :P
    Member of The Sublime Permadeath Guild on Thelanis.
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Community Member

I'm not into PD, but this is what works good vs Beholders:
    - multishot with weakening bow. Must be multishot, normal pew pew is too slow.
    - Web, Phantasmal Killer and/or Hold Monster. Just cast all. Enlarged meta helps. Web is the key. Behos are weak vs Web.

For protection:
    - threnal Mantle
    - silver flame trinket

Community Member

Some abilities can also be used within an antimagic zone:

Bard songs
    Light monk buffs (the +2 saves one can make the difference on a disintegrate)
    Halfling buffs (again, more bonus to saves)
    Dragonmarks
    Radiant servant burst

Also, while the zone prevents spellcasting through SP bar, scrolls and wands, it does not prevent the use of clickies. Ray of Enfeeblement/Exhaustion clickies are quite useful anyway in PD (they work on red named bosses), so keep an eye out for these to use with any Strength-damaging equipment you find.

I've only ever faced a beholder once (and, since I first tried it after not too long in-game, I don't play anything outside Mortal Voyage).

It turns out ignorance was the key. I had no idea that I should be terrified

While everyone was frantically searching for the key to success, I popped my ranger speed boost, whipped out my bow (there was a fairly long hall and decent cover to use), and proceeded to take it down, dodging ray attacks all the while.

I'm not sure if it helped, but it might have been a bonus that that character was made specifically to be resistant to magical attacks...