Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Off the top of my head, I can't remember if Mozeze has pure good or holy wraps yet. But I don't think so. He does have a holy kama though. His best handwraps include the following: +5 handwraps, +2 flaming burst of parrying, +1 crippling of greater giant bane. And that's about it.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

During a lag storm, Losh was killed. Qepto saw him take a big shot, moved over and attempted heals from spell and wand. Even though he was only a few feet away, neither would take. Then he went incpap. Still laggy. Then he died. Although I don't like to blame lag, there wasn't much could be done.

(Edit Dec 13, 2010)
    The group has restarted on Orien
    Last edited by parvo; 12-13-2010 at 10:53 PM.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Although I don't like to blame lag, there wasn't much could be done.
    I know what you mean, through necessity you have to make lag deaths count, because people will just blame lag for actual deaths if that policy is not in place... but real lag deaths DO happen, and it really sucks when they do.
    Member of The Sublime Permadeath Guild on Thelanis.
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Quote Originally Posted by Talltale-Storyteller View Post
    I know what you mean, through necessity you have to make lag deaths count, because people will just blame lag for actual deaths if that policy is not in place... but real lag deaths DO happen, and it really sucks when they do.
    Yeap, the other issue for PDers is the combat nerf and how they changed the way the physics checks are coded. Allow me to elaborate.

What used to be causing the lag was the huge number of physics that occurred for every_single_melee_action, including all swings. So for every swing the server was checking to make sure your character was close enough to the mob and facing the mob in order to award the hit.

The nerf changed this system so that if a main hand swing occurred and you were within range of the mobs, the offhand swing "assumes" you are also within range. This holds true for combat animations and casting animations well, for both the players and the mobs.

In our static group, we were drawing a named ogre toward the door in WW when our cleric made the wise choice to just command it to the floor. When this happened, everyone ran into the door and down the hall to smack the prone ogre, and I took 3 full ogre stomp crits, a full 2 seconds after it had been commanded. The computer "assumed" that because the ogre was starting a combat animation while being commanded, it got to play out the entire animation and award all three hits to its target, my rogue, who was not even in range when the animation began, who doesnt have the hp to take that kind of damage. BLAM!!! Back to korthos.

I have also seen situations where mobs have slower caster animations. The blue ogres will raise their hands slowly and cast spells. I will stun one of these on my monk and the mobs 18 hit dice chain lightning will still go off a full second after the autocrit on the stun kicked in. I have even succeeded in killing the mob with autocrit before the spell goes off out of thin air.

The reality is: If the mob started doing something before you incapacitated it, it gets to continue to do the entire action, regardless if what happened in the meantime. If you kill an ogre in the middle of a tripple stomp, he still gets three hits on you. If you dance a mob in the middle of casting a CC spell, the end result will be a dancing mob and a bunch of hypno'd players. If you see a mob casting a spell and step around the corner to avoid the result of the spell, you can end up held in a completely different room.

How many cleric mobs have you dropped cold, only to have the flame strike spell hit the entire group 2 seconds after the fact?

For PD players, the new physics check system is bunk, because it completely screws up timing, and timing is everything when taking survival into account.
    Last edited by Chai; 12-07-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

I hear what you're saying. I've seen a lot of that kind of damage when an ogre is tripped: WHAM! ogre is on his back but still does major damage with that delayed cleave attack.

But I think it has gotten better, at least in regard to spells. Even tonight in Freshen the Aire we dropped a trog caster who had cast ice storm, but because we killed him in time, no one took any damage. I got the enemy spell message so I knew exactly what he cast upon us, but we did enough damage in that moment to kill him and cancel out the spell. I like that change.

It's not perfect now, but at least the spell effects have improved.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    I hear what you're saying. I've seen a lot of that kind of damage when an ogre is tripped: WHAM! ogre is on his back but still does major damage with that delayed cleave attack.

But I think it has gotten better, at least in regard to spells. Even tonight in Freshen the Aire we dropped a trog caster who had cast ice storm, but because we killed him in time, no one took any damage. I got the enemy spell message so I knew exactly what he cast upon us, but we did enough damage in that moment to kill him and cancel out the spell. I like that change.

It's not perfect now, but at least the spell effects have improved.
    I think the persistent AOE spells disappearing the minute the caster dies is part of them trying not to go too overboard with allowing mobs to complete their action regardless if they should have been able to do so, just because the action started before the mob was CC'd / killed. Having to deal with a firewall that completed after a mob was killed would be crazy.

Single shot AOE still hurts though, and making us take that damage from chain lightning or flame strikes a full second or more after we killed the mob is just lame.
    Advocating repeated nerfs in the name of "balancing the game" then complaining about how DDO is moving away from D&D, is a direct contradiction in logic - D&D 3.5 (what DDO is based on) is not a balanced game. We can either have a balanced clone MMO with homogenized classes, or we can have a D&D game. We cant have both.

May the Community know where Losh perished?
    Lag is an annoying issue for PD Heroes!

Quote Originally Posted by ddobard1 View Post
    May the Community know where Losh perished?
    Lag is an annoying issue for PD Heroes!
    Captives elite. We're moving to Orien and starting over. We don't want to deal with Khyber's prime time lag issues. Extra respect for The Core PD who use that server.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Funny I feel Where There's Smoke harder than The Captives.
    Hey start again!? And loose all the loot already acquired!!
    May be start with 2 parties to balance baleful deads?!

In order to avoid the laggy Khyber, the group restarted and relocated on Orien. First night was a romp through Korthos. We completed all of Korthos with barely a few scratches.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

So level 2?
    Same Party as in Khyber?

The group got back on track last night and completed some harbor quests. Everyone attained character level three. Niab pulled Featherfalling Boots.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Quote Originally Posted by ddobard1 View Post
    Hey start again!? And loose all the loot already acquired!!
    You know they always start at level 1 with no loot, right?
    Member of The Sublime Permadeath Guild on Thelanis.
    www.thesublimeguild.com

Go Hard or Go Home!

Aw, reading the topic I had assumed by extreme permadeath rules you meant that if you died in game you would commit suicide in real life.

We finished all the level two quests. Only close call was Qepto getting a bit ahead of the group and running into a trap. For most traps it would have meant death, but Qepto was lucky enough to live through it. Next session, we'll explore the Cerulian Hills, see our trainers to gain character level four, and go on to the level three quests.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by lugoman View Post
    Aw, reading the topic I had assumed by extreme permadeath rules you meant that if you died in game you would commit suicide in real life.
    That's what I do. Fortunately I am as incompetent in RL as I am in game. Three failed suicide attempts so far...

-Ozmar the EXTREME PDer
    I can has no signature. Alas!

Your are no longer at ABC levels, and henceforward you will need to stand the heat!?
    Few amateur's speculations:
    1. Niabara seems the Party's DPS'er.
    2. Pommesfrites Mechanic is a poor strategical option because enforces Niabara to quit DPS, and may be Qepto is more suited.
    3. Pommesfrites perhaps will be the Trapsmith.
    4. The heals appear to be in good hands.
    5. Ranglosh takes on the scout functions.

Looks an average solid Party, I would put the fate of your Voyage depending on the performance of Niabara!

Oh I almost forgotten, may Ranglosh's Deity enlighten his Favored Enemies choice...

Niab is well rounded and can dish out damage or turtle up and intimidate. Pom is going for a survivable scout trapsmith. Paladin/rogues have a long history of success in PD. Losh seams to be going more offensive type ranger. Qepto is a spellsinger bard going for high enchant DCs and buff/heal support. Clourth is a solid healer and I think Kaz is going for archmage of some sort.

If we stay focused, although not "perfect", this mix of characters has great potential.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Our group explored the hills then visited the trainers to gain level four abilities. Redfang elite wasn't bad, but Sacred Helm was a notch up and Kobold Assault got pretty nasty. When the enemies leader attacked, we really had to step it up, but we didn't give up the fort. Fun stuff. Niab scored +2 dorf and greataxes.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Last week we completed Swiped Signet.

This week, the group completed Where There's Smoke and The Captives then visited the trainers, achivinge character level five. Afterward, we completed Catacombs I-IV. We found a +2 Silver Bastard Sword and a few other minor +2 upgrades and lots of Wavecrashers.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast