Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

We completed Catacombs and Irestone. Niab pulled +3 Full plate. We're all still level five and a good ways off from six. However, it looks like there is enough XP in the base level 4 quests that we'll hit six before we're done with them.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Sounds Great! Especially for Niab. If someone makes the ultimate sacrifice, let me know, I have a Pally Monk Halfling with Dragonmark build I have been wanting to try in PD, but have full slots on Argon (knock on wood).

You are the undoubted stars of Permadeath!

Which 4th level quests are the Extreme Heroes missing? Ty.

Keep up the pace, fighting weariness, hunger, and thirst...

The team tackled Sharn series and Freshen the Air on elite. Normal assortment of Sharn upgrades and Qepto pulled a Proof Against Poison Belt. We got hit pretty hard in Sharn, but survived without deaths. We're still character level five, but probably 2/3 of the way to six. For base level four quests, we still have first two depths, Rest for the Restless, Proof is in the Poison and first legs of STK and Tanglefoot. We're hoping to hit level six before handling up on Proof.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

I updated post #2 with links to MyDDO for the characters on the team.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Still moving through the lower levels and behind the level of quests a bit. We completed all of the base level four singles except Proof. We decided to do all of the Depths in succession, so we still have Doom left and are a bit less than 3k XP from character level six. In the Depths, Qepto found +3 Studded Leather and Niab found a +1 Flaming Heavy Pick. Our resources are starting to pile up. I can't speak for the rest of the group, but Qepto has something like 13 mana potions (split between lesser, minor and normal) and 6 wavecrashers. I'm not sure when we will hit Proof, but we're ready for it. STK is also coming up soon.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

The team completed Depths of Doom and STK, training up to character level six. Next session will be Proof which might be the first time we use much consumables.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Let me start by saying what a fine idea to post the links to MyDDO for the characters on the team!
    Some questions rose in my mind:
    Where did Qepto found a +4 Studded Leather?
    Why Ranglosh is still level 4?

A few notes:
    The Cleric has less SP than the Bard?!
    The Bard has less HP than the Wizard?!
    Niabira reached a nice AC value!

How did it go Proof is in the Poison? Which resources did you spend there?

Quote Originally Posted by ddobard1 View Post
    Let me start by saying what a fine idea to post the links to MyDDO for the characters on the team!
    Some questions rose in my mind:
    Why Ranglosh is still level 4?

A few notes:
    The Cleric has less SP than the Bard?!
    The Bard has less HP than the Wizard?!
    Niabira reached a nice AC value!

How did it go Proof is in the Poison? Which resources did you spend there?
    I don't know how many other players are interested, but I personally find it annoying when PD players hide behind veils of secrecy. Transparency is a compliment to the voluntary nature of permadeath play in DDO. However lacking it is, I've come to appreciate MyDDO for at least that.

You caught my mistake for Boarlosh. I had his previous character linked (the Khyber one that died in lag there). Thanks for the note. I corrected with the proper link. Boarlosh is indeed level six as well as the rest of us.

I believe most of us got some upgrades in the last session. Loot boost was going so we saw some decent upgrades. I'm sure Qepto will be wearing that +4 Studded for a long time, but in the grand scheme of things it's little consequence. Even with very nice armor for level six, Qepto's AC is not good. Unless bored, Qepto tries to stay out of combat, using enchantment spells and backing up Clourth. Backing up Clourth is a boring job however. He's usually pretty fast. As a human Qepto has an extra feat. At level six, with Toughness, Spell Focus Enchantment and Greater Spell Focus already in the bag, I considered what would be next. Spell penetration would be a fair choice, but how many opportunities will we have to use it prior to level nine? Skill focus Use Magic Device might also be a good choice, but Qepto will already have a decent UMD score and has not found any "critical" items requiring it's use. Another Toughness feat is probably not a bad way to go either. Extend or Enlarge Metamagic feats are good choices. After some thought, I settled on Mental Toughness. It's not a lot of extra spell points, but we will have some longer quests coming up. I think I might even take Improved Mental Toughness at level nine. That and Spellsinger will give Qepto the opportunity to cast enchantments more often. By nature, enchantments generally save resources by turning potentially damaging fights into easy ones.

I think Niab is going to have a solid AC through the mids. He's got the foundation built. With buffs, his intimidate will be reliable and we will use that to save resources. There are times when an otherwise very difficult encounter can be tamed with ease by intimidation and a tower shield.

Proof is in the Poison is next on our list. We have a member that could not play this week, so we took the week off. At some point, we might occasionally progress with less than six of us, but so far we've done everything together (with exception of some solo quests and Korthos). Proof will be interesting. While it's certainly dangerous, we are well stocked with consumables. I'd be surprised if most of us don't still have starter cure light potions. Hopefully it will challenge us and require thoughtfull play. In any case, we will certainly face serious challenge as we progress. If not next week, than the weeks to come.
    Last edited by parvo; 03-09-2011 at 12:07 AM.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

I'm all for MyDDO too, and excels here in order to better understand your adventures without mishaps.

Until now Qepto has enjoyed an easy task, but I forecast weary times in a short-term period like the Carnival or Kundarak quests!

Can the Party open all the quests on Elite? Ty.

We're certainly going to run eveything on elite once-and-done up to level seven quests and most eights. As that is where Jepto (my elite-once-and-done MV character) met his match, it is reasonable to pause and consider our situation there. We have many sessions left before that time.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

The Extremers are only 6!

How do you plan to handle the raids on Elite like Chrono or Tempest? You need 6 more!

The Extremers are only 6!

How do you plan to handle the raids on Elite like Chrono or Tempest? You need 6 more!
    I doubt we will complete them on elite. Have not talked about that.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Completed Proof is in the Poison elite. Although there were a couple dangerous moments, we completed it without mishap. Used some of our resources but we're far from depleted. In all I think we uses three partial CMW wands and nine low level mnemonics. For perspective, consider Qepto has collected enough to still have nine mnemonics left. Everyone is looking forward to enough money to purchase Medium Collectible Bags. We also did the first two Tangleroot series quests.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Despite being level six, we decided to go ahead and complete Tangleroot. Two close calls. Once, our scout moved into a room by himself and another involved Losh trying to outrun an enemies spell. Loot was very good. Acid Greatsword, pair of +3 Khopesh, +3 dex boots, Frost Battleaxe of Pure Good, Icy Burst Heavy Repeater. For an end reward, Qepto picked up Visors of the Flesh Render Guards, a rather unique item that may see some use.

We didn't discuss what we would do next. We're somewhere around 7k XP from character level 7. Probably take out some of the single fives before tackling Carnival and Nec I.

It's worth noting, we have over 600 favor already.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member

Why do you ask questions for which you know the answers?

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    Despite being level six, we decided to go ahead and complete Tangleroot. Two close calls. Once, our scout moved into a room by himself and another involved Losh trying to outrun an enemies spell. Loot was very good. Acid Greatsword, pair of +3 Khopesh, +3 dex boots, Frost Battleaxe of Pure Good, Icy Burst Heavy Repeater. For an end reward, Qepto picked up Visors of the Flesh Render Guards, a rather unique item that may see some use.

We didn't discuss what we would do next. We're somewhere around 7k XP from character level 7. Probably take out some of the single fives before tackling Carnival and Nec I.

It's worth noting, we have over 600 favor already.

Splinterskull elite with level 6 characters and no shrines feels about right. If you like a challenge and being kept on your toes, you don't want to have characters higher than that. We have been running it that way in The Core for about 6 months now and sometimes we permanently lose characters, but when we are using good tactics most of the time we survive without a death.

Mothreetusks, a 5th level half-orc bard training to become a warchanter, died in a room full of hobgoblins when he sang to fascinate and instead got annihilated by Slayer khopeshes. Remembering to use a wand of invisibility in his pack would have saved his life.

On a different run another 6th level bard (Thweetsong?) was torn apart by scorpions.

Butterkup was ripped to shreds by a twirling blade trap (we were running without a rogue again).

And those are just a few of the losses. Elite once and done can certainly jump up and bite ya. Another death occurred at the boss fight of Purge the Heretics: our level 8 wizard/rogue Mirlark. All in all, however, it's probably the way to go if you want the normally boring quests to provide a gritty challenge. We have been running Proof Is In the Poison pretty regularly (9k xp is nice to have) and seldom ever have a death.
    Last edited by Duncani_Daho; 03-22-2011 at 06:49 AM.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by Duncani_Daho View Post
    Splinterskull elite with level 6 characters and no shrines feels about right. If you like a challenge and being kept on your toes, you don't want to have characters higher than that. We have been running it that way in The Core for about 6 months now and sometimes we permanently lose characters, but when we are using good tactics most of the time we survive without a death.

Mothreetusks, a 5th level half-orc bard training to become a warchanter, died in a room full of hobgoblins when he sang to fascinate and instead got annihilated by Slayer khopeshes. Remembering to use a wand of invisibility in his pack would have saved his life.

On a different run another 6th level bard (Thweetsong?) was torn apart by scorpions.

Butterkup was ripped to shreds by a twirling blade trap (we were running without a rogue again).

And those are just a few of the losses. Elite once and done can certainly jump up and bite ya. Another death occurred at the boss fight of Purge the Heretics: our level 8 wizard/rogue Mirlark. All in all, however, it's probably the way to go if you want the normally boring quests to provide a gritty challenge. We have been running Proof Is In the Poison pretty regularly (9k xp is nice to have) and seldom ever have a death.
    Static groups have a lot of advantages over open groups. Because we are well-rounded and always six of us, we use less resources. At level six, we have a radiant, an arcane and a spellsinger. We also have an intimitank who saves a lot of melee damage and a manyshot ranger with good strength. I'd by lying if I said we are roughing the low levels like your groups. The real test will be how far we can take elite-once-and-done. This is not a suicide mission and at some point (hopefully before we take it too far) we'll have to agree elite is too much risk. I'm not sure where that point will be.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Just out of curiosity, how many warforged are in your party? I think having at least one in your future beholder-battles will make a big difference. Having the Silver Flame Amulet is nice, but the lack of shrines means you get only the 5 negative energy level absorptions and then you're on your own. With no save vs. enervation, when you increase the number of beholders you're facing in one quest, the likelihood of death shoots through the roof. Mozeze, level 13 monk, recently was bested (and then raised) by Invaders on hard, and having the Silver Flame Amulet would not have saved him because he took about 10 negative levels in the course of 2 minutes of fighting. He went in, got enervated, ran like a little girl until I got hit with Unyielding Sovereignty. Then he went back in to confront the remaining enemies and get enervated repeatedly again until he was incapped and bled to death.

I think it is easier now, in general, to run with a hardcore ruleset than it was a year ago. But I agree that the real challenges will come with level 8 and level 9 quests. On elite, at level, and without shrining, most of those 9's are just flat-out brutal. Gigantic accomplishment to run something like Von3 on elite hardcore. We've never done it in The Core and it's not something that I think is just around the corner, although I'm crazy enough to give it a shot. Thinking about how difficult that would be, and what character I'd want to add to the foolhardy party, just makes me appreciate how kick butt this game is. Period.
    Last edited by Duncani_Daho; 03-24-2011 at 03:42 AM.
    The Core HC Permadeath Guild
    HC stands for Hard Core
    on Khyber
    thecorehc.home.comcast.net

We have no warforged. Character links to My.DDO are in the first post if you like to take a look. We'll have to find a way to deal with beholders. I'm not worried about that now. We have a good ways to go before then. Carnival will be fun as I'm certain some in the gorup have never done elite. One thing is certain, if we to beholders, we're going to have a lot of tools to work with. So long as we're not surprised, it's more about choosing the right strategy and execution.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast