Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Community Member

Ok Ok, I see. It's just that I've already been threatened by other users for even having this info available. Someone posted another spoof alias in my guide thread, and it had to be removed. My intentions are well, and your spoofing post up there undermines my goals. And yes, it might not be exactly right, but it's a much better start than nothing.The colors WERE removed because of fake dice rolls, GM impersonation, and things of that sort. Which is why it's a bad idea to give actual code of how to do these things. Simply saying "You can make fake GM messages with this" is saying too much. Let alone actual code. Hence my frustration with the post. I do very much appreciate your feedback, and understand that you are trying insipre comment. Mission Successful. No hard feelings, but I would feel alot better if you edited that part out, before I get warned again.

Quote Originally Posted by YourDudeness View Post
    Which is why it's a bad idea to give actual code of how to do these things. Simply saying "You can make fake GM messages with this" is saying too much. Let alone actual code.
    The problem is the colors are simple html code, as is the line break code which is the root of most of the issues. The easiest way to fix this in my opinion would be not to reinstate the code as it was originally, but to allow players to purchase, though the ddo store, potions which color your text (remember that ddo store items drop as loot now too). The main problem is it was never really the RGB code that was the issue, it was the line break code, it was just easier to remove both at the same time rather then just removing the ability to use line break code. While not all html was allowed in the ingame chat, it was easier for turbine to disallow all html from chat. Reenabling the RGB code without disabling the line break code would be developer time that could be better spent on other things.

You can still use color chat with macros if I am not mistaken, your guide even says how to set up said macros so I don't see the big issue of making <rgb=#ffffff> come back when ;white is easier after you have set it up.
    The poster formerly known as San'tar...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Don't make me pull this forum over and come back there

Default loose ends

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Or they could block us from using any of the Official Announcement colors, such as red.
    If they blocked FF0000, people would use FE0000. just sayin...

And @ Dylos: ty

The colors do work right now, in all their prismatic splendor, but they are not supposed to. They were outlawed because of malicious exploiters. I have no malice in my intention. I very much enjoy macros. There are literally endless possibilities when it comes their usage. I know that there are people who would agree with me on this; alot of them. Which is why I wrote the guide. I frown on liars and thieves. But they will never go away. Don't punish us because of something we did not do. Let us keep our colors.

Hmm... Has there been any Dev confirmation on this? I know people that have used color codes in chat for years. I don't think allowing us to use them is a mistake.

All and all until a DEV say hay we are going to be changing this, it all chicken little.

Quote Originally Posted by Dylos_Moon View Post
    I think the real issue here is not the red server coming down text.

Its the green I'm a GM give me your username text.

I mean if some people are evil enough to send a fake admin tell saying +GM+ Tells you, "There seems to be a problem with your account, I need your username to fix it, type /r to respond"
    Then that basically kills it for all of us right?
    First off anyone that falls for that is standing in the shallow end of the brains gene pool.

Also if for some reason you feel your dumb enough to fall for something like that do yourself a favor and change the color of Admin messages to something other then the default. Its in the UI.
    there's one thing you never put in a trap if you're smart. If you value your continued existence. If you have any plans on seeing tomorrow then there's one thing you never, ever put in a trap.

Arrow Prologue

Before I wrote the guide, I was not aware that the colors had been disabled. I was with some new guildies when someone asked how to do colors. I remembered how and tried to show him, but it didn't work. Then I mentioned the alias command and we started trying emotes with them. Nothing worked, we were both disappointed and gave up. I decided to search the forums to maybe find what it was that I was missing. That's when I found Thalion's guide on importoptions. This guide solved all the problems I've ever had with aliases and made colors work to boot. I was happy. So I wrote my own guide. All the while, completely unaware that colors weren't supposed to work.

It was only after the guide started getting popular, that I was made aware of the psuedo-exploitive controversial nature of my guide's content on colors (colors still work if imported as aliases). This saddened me. I decided to do whatever was in my power to fight this. Which is why I made this petition to try to save our colors. It may be a fool's errand, but if there is any chance to change things, democracy in action is it. The developers/community may not listen to ME, but they will listen to US. Whatever happens, at least I can say I tried. All I ask, is that you say you want to keep our colors. Let them know.

Default Good timing

Very good post Robi. Another fine way to say it like it is.

And good question. No there is no dev confirmation on this. They were disabled for a reason. And I've found a loophole they've missed. This loophole is likely to be closed. This petition is a sort of preemptive strike, before colors become an issue that needs "fixing" again.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabronsisimo View Post
    after one year of playing i decided to use a macro for 'trap!' and 'hug me for heals!', and now i see we wont be able to add color?!? i feel sad
    agreed
    and therefore
    /signed
    ~~~~{Rampant Altoholic based in Cannith and multiplying...}~~~~

~~~~{Former UI skin author of Cosmos, currently waiting for a new art asset release}~~~~

I've never seen this guide before but now after reading it and seeing all the useful ways colors can be implemented in-game to enhance the fun and the gaming experience:

/signed
    "These fauchards have gone too far!"
    Hi Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Robi3.0 View Post
    First off anyone that falls for that is standing in the shallow end of the brains gene pool.

Also if for some reason you feel your dumb enough to fall for something like that do yourself a favor and change the color of Admin messages to something other then the default. Its in the UI.
    I could say the same for anyone who falls for the whole the world is coming down text. You not only are able to change the color of global announcement text, you also see it outside your text window (unless you have that disabled).

Any illegitimate uses of the color text are easily noticeable if one knows what to look for, but that doesn't stop people from going omg the server is going down.
    The poster formerly known as San'tar...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Don't make me pull this forum over and come back there

Community Member

/signed

/signed.
    Very useful feature, please don't take it away!

When God gives you lemons, find a new God.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Heck. Why not allow us colors.

HOWEVER, update the game rules that state anyone caught abusing said colors in a manner that attempts to undermine Turbine representatives and/or game control (aka faking being a + or faking world events) earn and automatic ban of 3 days minimum, and it goes on their permanganate game record.

Not like it is hard to report such either. right click on name, report harassment.

Black and white were feeling a bit dull, then they expanded their two-tone box to 57 crayolas and were happy.

very few were abusing the privilege, it would be neat to find a way to prohibit *GM* like colors or something and still allow the fun to proceed.
    (Perma) - Khyber - Official Helpers Guild Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is an extremely valuable party buff.

Community Member

Thumbs up

/signed

The colors are usefull, such as having the word TRAP in red if you have a talkative aprty, it draws the eye.
    i know your can do that eithier with the aliases

/signed

As many have told allready, just make the really official stuff more unique. Don't cut on our posibilities!

Community Member

Thumbs up

Qualna casts mirror image then /signs with all of the mirror images.

then /signs 500 times himself.

although, i can't quite figure out why i can only colorize text within the .txt while my guildees can do it on the fly.
    I had them copy-pasted from the guide and everything.

/signed

It's been really helpful on my rogues. I often like to help newbies on low level quests who don't quite know the game yet, and typing 'xX TRAP Xx' in red and yellow colors is much more effective than just saying 'trap' as it gets people to stop about 102% of the time.

Turbine, do you WANT to have the new players suffer at your expense? And why not just perma-ban anyone who is idiotic enough to try to scam others? That should defiantly turn off some potential exploiters.

Can't we just allow colors in party chat where they have legitimate uses? All my permie scouts had macro'ed Danger! Trap! It was a great way to warn others of danger when they miss the voice chat. The way I play, this was a difference maker. I've never seen it abused, yet seen it used legitimately countless times in my parties. It was a cool funtionality. I miss it.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member

/signed

I love using emotes and using macros is fun and useful.
    I'd love to use colors with both, and if such things get banned, it can take a dip in my fun.
    I'd like people posting messages in specific colors based on situations.
    Red for danger, Yellow for alerts, Green for gross stuff, etc.

Smile Ty

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for opening up. Your comments, rants, expressions, and general input is very much appreciated. I to believe that having the ability to create custom emotes and responses adds an entirely different side to the game. It's like crafting behavior. Simply using creative words and colors adds another dimension to the gaming experience. Not just for social use, but they can be functional as well. The 'toons' become less robotic, the characters become more defined. The only limits are what your imagination can conjure up.

omwshrineoomhealmeholdloswinfailyesnowhystopbuffso nghasteaggrohiderunstayfollowlootlostfoundomg***bb q

PS-Check out my new project: AliasHQ - tis my WYSIWYG alias studio.

PPS-Keep it coming folks! We still need a few thousand more sigs! 8]= <---Word muncher says 'lol'
    Last edited by Jacoboon; 01-13-2011 at 07:05 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast