Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Angry Petition: Save the color tags! Let us have our macros!

I made a guide on how to make aliases, custom emotes, and use colors. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=282941 The funny thing, is that we're not supposed to be able to use colors. I have apparently exposed some sort of loophole. And our days of using colored text are truly coming to an end.

A Founder informed me that people were exploiting colors and spoofing messages to look like things they were not. And that my loophole would soon be closed. (Now that you've turned up this loophole, it's likely to be closed.)

Proposed Solutions:
    • Change the background color of any truly official text - distinguishing itself from any text that any player would be able to create.
    • Create checkbox option to display colors - default off

Let us keep our colors! Can I get a witness? Let them know how we feel! Show your support -- Reply
    Last edited by Jacoboon; 11-06-2010 at 08:37 PM.

Community Member

./signed

having an alias for a trapwarning popping up in specific color is not just help full but great

Yes please!
    Please split the class forums into REAL subcategories this is a jumbled mess.

Unhappy Hello?

Not exactly the response I was hoping for. Come on people, if there is going to be any chance of saving the colors - this is it. Let them know that we want to keep them. All I ask is for a simple "Yes." or "signed". Once word gets out that colors still work, they will be "fixed". Let DDO know that we want our colors!

Or they could block us from using any of the Official Announcement colors, such as red. There was little harm beyond a few (rather damn funny) instances of this being used in a questionable manner - and it was kinda neat we do it.

But, at the end of the day it's just easier to prevent us from using any at all - so I'm sure that's the way it's gonna be. It only takes one Baby Ruth to clear the pool, and all.

/signed - even though I'm sure it won't do much.

/signed

If someones let themselves to be fooled in chat, it is their problem. Not ours. Not Turbines. Theirs.

/not signed

Color tags are nothing but annoying.
    Osmand d'Medani, Stonebearer Eric, Wardreamer

/signed.

The pranks were hilarious (although one or two might have crossed the line, red text fake server shutdown messages...), but in general, it's just fun, and useful in some situations: red text 'DANGER! Nasty trap ahead', yellow text 'I've got a big aggro lead, start attacking now' and orange text 'Roll 1d120 (120 so I know which item you are rolling on) in the next 20 seconds for (link item/shard/seal here)' all have their places as aliases.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

/signed

colours goood
    "Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ... except the weasel." Homer J. Simpson

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Or they could block us from using any of the Official Announcement colors, such as red. There was little harm beyond a few (rather damn funny) instances of this being used in a questionable manner - and it was kinda neat we do it.

But, at the end of the day it's just easier to prevent us from using any at all - so I'm sure that's the way it's gonna be. It only takes one Baby Ruth to clear the pool, and all.

/signed - even though I'm sure it won't do much.
    /clap for way too long.

Community Member

Further proof of...

We can't have nice things.

I agree, let colors reign!
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

after one year of playing i decided to use a macro for 'trap!' and 'hug me for heals!', and now i see we wont be able to add color?!? i feel sad
    Orien Denizen: Mandel, Tux, Pux, Rodix

I am not really the prankster type.
    And if what I am reading is correct, I am inclined to say some of the devs aren't much, either.

Apparently, it takes one prank too many to spoil the fun for everybody.
    I would sign the idea of making official announcements look more "official".
    If any random prankster can spoof official text to cause grief, maybe the text itself isn't unique enough.

Personally, I don't like colours in bio or general communication much either.
    They usually feel tacky to me; people tend to go overboard, Rainbow Brite style.
    That said, I'm all for MORE variety and options, not less.

Keep the colours; pranksters eventually get bored with stuff when it's readily available, and normal users usually resort to it when really needed or useful.
    Also, please consider making official announcements look more official and unique.

Seriously, how old are we?
    Pranks from 30+ yo people...?
    Shame on you.

* Live by the Pencil - My D&D-related Art * <-> * Focus Orb Paperbag - My Workaround for Helves *

Default Another solution

I just thought of another fix to the problem. Make a checkbox in the options to show colors. Then people who don't like them are happy and the people who do like them are happy. Make the default to NOT show colors. So people have to willingly enable colors via options.

I think the real issue here is not the red server coming down text.

Its the green I'm a GM give me your username text.

I mean if some people are evil enough to send a fake admin tell saying +GM+ Tells you, "There seems to be a problem with your account, I need your username to fix it, type /r to respond"
    Then that basically kills it for all of us right?
    Last edited by Dylos_Moon; 11-06-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    The poster formerly known as San'tar...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Don't make me pull this forum over and come back there

Quote Originally Posted by Dylos_Moon View Post
    Then that basically kills it for all of us right?
    You know what they say about one rotten apple...

Thumbs down Disappointed in you

Quote Originally Posted by Dylos_Moon View Post
    Its the green I'm a GM give me your username text.
    You seem to have that down pretty well Dylos. Do us all a favor and please edit that out of the thread. Are you showing off your knowledge of things idiotic or trying to sabotage my thread? Either way, it's not appreciated. This is a thread for telling the developers we want to keep our colors. Not for spreading idiocy.
    Last edited by Jacoboon; 11-06-2010 at 05:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoboon View Post
    You seem to have that down pretty well Dylos. Do us all a favor and please edit that out of the thread. Are you showing off your knowledge of things idiotic or trying to sabotage my thread? Either way, it's not appreciated. This is a thread for telling the developers we want to keep our colors. Not for spreading idiocy.
    Nah, that green is actually the wrong color, GM text green is a different shade I was just being lazy with that shade, still it would be enough to get you banned if you used such a message in game.

I'm not trying to show off or sabotage your thread, and the way I did it shouldn't really trick anyone, its no where near perfect, there are several parts missing that separate it from what a real admin tell would look like.

I miss my color codes as much as anyone else, for legitimate purposes, but its the illegitimate uses that make us unable to use it. Those illegitimate uses are important to note, while the exact way to duplicate the illegitimate uses may not be important, they are fairly easy enough to figure out once you understand the basics.

Plus the turbine folks have stated many times that petitions in which the majority of the posts simply say /signed or /not signed don't get read, discussions are much more likely to get read, I'm offering discussion on why it was taken away, I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything, I am simply playing devil's advocate.
    The poster formerly known as San'tar...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Don't make me pull this forum over and come back there

Quote Originally Posted by Jacoboon View Post
    Wow. You really misinterpreted Dylos' post. Did someone put a Baby Ruth in your Wheaties?

By the way, are you aware that insulting someone, regardless of how subtly done, is an actionable offense that can earn you infractions?
    On Argo I play: Allandra Lvl 17 Rogue, and a few others.
    Quote Originally Posted by stainer View Post
    I don't actually know what is going on, but it is a lot of fun!
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaselKing View Post
    This is actually Argonnessen's motto.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristalla View Post
    I agree, this gif is very...ALL HAIL HYPNOBABY!! /blank stare

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast