Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Very nice write up. Should help others out alot.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingTurtle View Post
    Eternity is an Undead, not a dragon, so Firewalls and cleric light spells do double damage and Dragon Bane does nothing.
    *sigh* And here I thought my ghost touch rapier of GDB was finally going to be useful.

Nice guide.

My tip from failed early runs - get in the instance ASAP after it unlocks. That way, you'll be in a full instance of ~30 people rather than stuck in one with ~12. As there is no scaling, a 30 minute hard enrage timer (you insta-fail after 30 min) and mob spawns that can overwhelm a solo or duo group in one of the altar rooms, 16+ people is required unless you have a truly stellar group, and under 20 it's tough.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

I would add that the gargoyles are susceptible to disco ball and if everything is going wrong you can get your key back by exiting the instance through a green door

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Between cloud kill (gargoles are living things, and this tends to grab agro a heck of a lot better than WoF) WoF, and an air elemental.... We pretty much sit back and collect motes/items while waiting on people to kill the dragon.
    Exactly. My greed prevents me from testing lever/spawn interaction.
    Near useless builds for those who want a challenge: The True(ly Useless) Necromancer - The Abuse Sponge Paladin
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I cross-linked this guide in my guide to the festival, which focuses primarily on how the spawns/collectibles work and then just emphasized some of the major (or non-intuitive) points about the spectral dragon encounter.

Was on lever duty with a sorc last night once. WOF and disco balls worked like a charm. Like the cloudkill suggestion also.

We had used the roving band of lever guardians approach also...it takes some time to get from lever to lever, but if you are shortmanning it, it is a viable tactic with good communication.

Quote Originally Posted by Crann View Post
    Was on lever duty with a sorc last night once. WOF and disco balls worked like a charm. Like the cloudkill suggestion also.

We had used the roving band of lever guardians approach also...it takes some time to get from lever to lever, but if you are shortmanning it, it is a viable tactic with good communication.
    Just target the lever and cast wall 5 times. When the gargoyles get near the lever, they'll walk into all 5 walls, take 600 damage, and die instantly.

Repeat every 60 seconds.

Sleep.

Oh yeah, if you get a crit, leave it, one crit alone kills them (they have 400-450 hp).

Tinied the link for purposes of easily elucidating the masses through general chat: http://tinyurl.com/3yo2bws

Further magic notes:
    Disintegrate did work, rather nicely in fact
    A prismatic ray did lightning damage and shot up a resisted number. No idea how much damage I was doing, so no clue on resist numbers.
    level 11 wizard - not necessarily applicable to other variants of eternity, and lights were on
    Near useless builds for those who want a challenge: The True(ly Useless) Necromancer - The Abuse Sponge Paladin
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by Depravity View Post
    My greed prevents me from testing lever/spawn interaction.
    Confusion, on the other hand, trumps greed. People were telling me not to pull the lever, pull the lever, do the hokey pokey, etc on my last run, so I did leave it off for a while. Gargoyle non-spawning while lever is dark is officially confirmed.

Guide updated thanks to Depravity's research.

+rep him for me, I can't do it any more than I have.

Thanks to whomever gave me the rep (and Turtle for suggesting it ).

Something to test whenever they fire this up again - I've seen several people claiming that leaving the lights off reduces the number of gargoyles that spawn on altars. I never noticed this effect, but then I almost always was on levers so the impression I got was garnered from what I could see through the grill up top. That impression, however, is that this is a big pile of cleric level II spell components.

Tactical note - when doing something that grabs aggro, hang out away from the altar. I saw plenty of people sitting in firewalls on top of the altar, getting swung at by gargoyles. Taking the risk of having them miss you and connect (or cleave, if they have it) with the altar seems like a really dumb move. Not sure how easy it was to move the dragon around, but same thing applies to her - try to fight away from the altar so she's not cleaving through it.
    Last edited by Depravity; 11-01-2010 at 08:16 AM.

Something to test whenever they fire this up again - I've seen several people claiming that leaving the lights off reduces the number of gargoyles that spawn on altars. I never noticed this effect, but then I almost always was on levers so the impression I got was garnered from what I could see through the grill up top. That impression, however, is that this is a big pile of cleric level II spell components.
    It seemed that way to me, for the 3-8 & 9-14 versions.

There's a few that pop down there and say "Snuff the Light!" when it's on. Sometimes it's around 6 instead of 3.

Some people were even mass triggering the lights to farm gargoyles.

Also nice guide Turtle ^^
    olganon.org - Remember to play in moderation.
    olganon.org - A videogame shouldn't be your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Depravity View Post
    I'd like to see some evidence or experience backing this claim. I remember that most recently, many seemed to believe that the levers were tied to additional, crippling lag (either via additional Gargoyle spawns, or otherwise). I'd like to know for sure what the behavior is so that a "best course of action" can be determined.
    PLEASE FIX LAG. PLEASE FIX BUGS.

Just wanted to point out that a Maximized Blade Barrier around the altar rocks the gargoyles pretty hard - and helps for eternity as well...

I'm bumpin' this thread, for the ejumacation of the general populace.

Quote Originally Posted by Crann View Post
    One point might be to address the raid grouping.

I know that on Lam, that if you were in a party/raid going into the dragon instance, you may not be in the same instance as your raid/party members.

I had read a couple posts about people in the live previews going in with their raid group, so not sure about which holds true for the live event.
    I'm pretty sure parties are kept together in the same instance now. Entered the dragon twice in a raid party, and pretty sure we we're all together in the same instance.

This guide is old, so some things have changed. The basic mechanics seem to be accurate though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12