Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default draught of midnight

I'm curious what other results have been when using the Draught OUTSIDE of the event times. It is for sale in the DDO store at the moment and after 1 hour of use, here's what we found.

(all with level 20 toons)
    Note: Only the person getting the actual kill gets a chance at a mote.

* And the Dead Shall Rise (Spire of Validus with the lich in it) (Elite)- total 60 motes. (sorry, forgot to check the number of undead). Oh, and no Lich dust :P

* Delaras Part 1 (norm): 102 kills prior to ghostly pops, 39 ghostly kills, 17 respawn kills =158 kills- 7 motes

* Delaras Part 1 (elite): 117 kills prior to ghostly pops, 20 ghostly kills = 137 kills - 12 motes

* From Beyond the Grave (normal): killed everything = 7 motes

Sorry this wasn't more scientific, but I am curious as to what others might be experiencing. I don't think I will be purchasing draughts if the drop rate is this low.

Yeah, i thought everyone knew already

Draught of Midnight is a huge total waste of TPs.

you dont get enough Motes to even amount to anything. doesnt matter that the potion is cheap... its still a waste and worthless.

not to mention if you where to die... it wears off instantly. (got smoked in the event by a lvl 20 avenger someone was running from... lucky me the avenger decided to hurt me a "little" about 2min after i drank one.)
    Do or Do not..... there is no Try. -Yoda
    'DDO, or DDOn't. There is no WoW' -Dunklezhan

20 motes in an hour running Delara. Let my wasted 25 TP serve as a warning to those that where planning on stocking motes for the next event!

Quote Originally Posted by Elmaster_Thay View Post
    20 motes in an hour running Delara. Let my wasted 25 TP serve as a warning to those that where planning on stocking motes for the next event!
    yeah that sounds about like what i got.

so mad at that item why even put it in the store if its going to be THAT useless.
    Do or Do not..... there is no Try. -Yoda
    'DDO, or DDOn't. There is no WoW' -Dunklezhan

Community Member

You get far more motes from undead outside of deleras... While the event is running.

As soon as the event time is up. The drop rates in all other quests and undead areas drops way off.

So this weekend you don't HAVE to really stay in the event once you got the parts you need. And still have a way to gain motes.

In the graveyard event, I was seeing 1-7 motes (I've heard 1d8, but don't remember seeing an 8) per killing blow. Running around w/ a level 11 wizard specced out for fire and one-shotting appropriate critters, I didn't see enough return for it to be worth the 500 motes it would cost from the trader. And having death wipe an effect I payed TP for just stings.

Just a thought, but could things have been jiggered so that farming an instance significantly below your level would result in poor returns? A level 20 arcane firewalling something like the shadow quest that's all ring-shaped passages full of shadows (sorry, forget the name) for quick kills would be as unfair* as the monk/fvs supremacy in the ice games. Were I implementing something like this, I'd like to think I'd take that into consideration.

* While anybody could have an appropriate farmer for whatever turbine plans, I wouldn't expect everyone, or even most players, to keep a high level alt of each class handy.
    Near useless builds for those who want a challenge: The True(ly Useless) Necromancer - The Abuse Sponge Paladin
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Quote Originally Posted by Legohaiden View Post

so mad at that item why even put it in the store if its going to be THAT useless.
    I thought that you only get higher chances at Motes if the undead you kill is within 3 levels of your current level? Have you tried DM with level 6-9 characters?
    Shriners

Community Member

Default quite a ripoff

25tp for a chance to gain about 10 motes in any undead quest I have tried (delera, spire, necropolis). Either the draught is badly bugged, or the chance to gain motes outside of the event itself is criminally low.

Surprised no one is screaming for refunds yet.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmaster_Thay View Post
    Same here. Level 6 Half-Elf (hehe) Ranger running the entire Delera's chain last night. Ended up with 27 motes, and that included the few I got from going into the graveyard during the event (briefly). So probably less then 20 motes from the draught and chain. Severely disappointed. Have two more draughts left but will maybe use them in the graveyard (on another character if they are not bound, haven't checked) when the event is back.

It's only a 'buck' but I could have gotten a candy-bar and it would have been a bit more satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    *Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

Quote Originally Posted by MrkGrismer View Post
    Same here. Level 6 Half-Elf (hehe) Ranger running the entire Delera's chain last night. Ended up with 27 motes,
    Were you getting most of the kills?
    olganon.org - Remember to play in moderation.
    olganon.org - A videogame shouldn't be your life.

Hero

The Draught of Midnight is dependent on killing level appropriate undead. If you're level 20 and you run any part of the Delera's quest chain, you're going to be disappointed with the drop rate.

A sorcerer guildmate of mine used a Draught during the last preview to farm undead in the public area around Delera's. He ended up with 2800 motes in an hour, just from Fireball killing blows (does not include turn-ins).
    U19 Kensei: Centered Cleaver | TR Junkie Leveling Framework

~Ying~ (10 lives), ~Hamada~(9 lives), ~Vadanken~ (6 lives), ~Kobeyashi~ (10 lives)
    Over Raided of Orien, First Level 100 Guild

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyfruit View Post
    Were you getting most of the kills?
    Solo with hireling, I was getting ALL of the kills (well, the hireling got a few, but very few).

*Handwraps. Yes we know. Here is my known issue for handwraps. Hand wraps in assorted flavors are borked.

I haven't done any hard testing, but I've noticed more motes outside of the event with use of the draught.

However, during the preview it seemed more undead were dropping motes instead of it being completely random.

Today I ran my level 17 cleric for a little over an hour in the graveyard and maybe got 30 motes for my trouble and maybe 15-20 turn-ins and not a single key (nabbed 4 keys in two hours during the last preview).

I had 20 mins left on my last draught and decided to test it in the Orchard. Just the run to the Temple of Vol netted me about the same amount of motes as all that wasted time in the graveyard. And I got guild renown.

I'd have to do some more messing around, but it seems that if it's level appropriate it'll drop more motes. Will have to check quests later.

Something I've noticed in the graveyard is that I'm not getting near as many turn-ins as I had been when using spells. Maybe I just have **** luck, but if I kill something with a spell stuff rarely drops except vampire fangs. If I whittle it down to where I can kill it with a weapon, it seems the drop rate increases. Just something weird I noticed today.
    aka ~The Jelly Bean Slinger

Then darkness would eat me. Cold would devour me.
    I would die naked beneath a blackthorn, keening for the missing moon.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carpone View Post
    The Draught of Midnight is dependent on killing level appropriate undead. If you're level 20 and you run any part of the Delera's quest chain, you're going to be disappointed with the drop rate.

A sorcerer guildmate of mine used a Draught during the last preview to farm undead in the public area around Delera's. He ended up with 2800 motes in an hour, just from Fireball killing blows (does not include turn-ins).
    It doesn't seem to matter if you are level-appropriate or not based on this thread, my level-appropriate got less then 20, the OP's level 20 got less then 20.

If you want motes the only way to get a decent amount is in the public graveyard apparently, and maybe the draught matters there, but I suspect it doesn't and any 'increase' there even is pretty much a placebo effect.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy_Mouse View Post
    I haven't done any hard testing, but I've noticed more motes outside of the event with use of the draught.
    Well yes, since without the draught motes outside the event are ZERO.

However, during the preview it seemed more undead were dropping motes instead of it being completely random.

Today I ran my level 17 cleric for a little over an hour in the graveyard and maybe got 30 motes for my trouble and maybe 15-20 turn-ins and not a single key (nabbed 4 keys in two hours during the last preview).

I had 20 mins left on my last draught and decided to test it in the Orchard. Just the run to the Temple of Vol netted me about the same amount of motes as all that wasted time in the graveyard. And I got guild renown.

I'd have to do some more messing around, but it seems that if it's level appropriate it'll drop more motes. Will have to check quests later.
    I will have to try the orchard, hopefully the two draughts I have left are not BtC. I don't want to buy more just to test. (and my level 6 can't hit the orchard)

Something I've noticed in the graveyard is that I'm not getting near as many turn-ins as I had been when using spells. Maybe I just have **** luck, but if I kill something with a spell stuff rarely drops except vampire fangs. If I whittle it down to where I can kill it with a weapon, it seems the drop rate increases. Just something weird I noticed today. [/COLOR]
    From what I undersand AOE kills are treated as only 1 kill for drop purposes. Also going 'mano-o-mano' helps cut down on killing stuff far below your level, so less chance of getting smitten by the mabar fairey.

Well yes, since without the draught motes outside the event are ZERO.
    Umm, yeah. I think you know what I mean.

From what I undersand AOE kills are treated as only 1 kill for drop purposes. Also going 'mano-o-mano' helps cut down on killing stuff far below your level, so less chance of getting smitten by the mabar fairey.

I'm not so sure about the AOE spells. I've found a few times getting two collectibles, vampire fangs not included, when killing with an AOE during the preview. Since I'm running solo, usually only 2-3 spawns pop. Today it didn't happen, but then again, the drops seemed to be fewer in general.

If the spawns are supposed to appear and take your level into consideration, then everything I spawned should have been level appropriate. I never got the Mabar watching me notification. The only times I got the "below your level" was when someone had already been through an area and I was cleaning it up to get spawns for my level.

Something else I liked better in the Orchard, Blade Barrier.

Community Member

Umm, yeah. I think you know what I mean.
    I'm not sure. If you mean that you get more motes outside of the graveyard then inside I have to disagree. The draught seems pretty useless unless you are going to do some undead stuff anyways and don't mind getting motes for more then 1TP each.

I'm not so sure about the AOE spells. I've found a few times getting two collectibles, vampire fangs not included, when killing with an AOE during the preview. Since I'm running solo, usually only 2-3 spawns pop. Today it didn't happen, but then again, the drops seemed to be fewer in general.

If the spawns are supposed to appear and take your level into consideration, then everything I spawned should have been level appropriate. I never got the Mabar watching me notification. The only times I got the "below your level" was when someone had already been through an area and I was cleaning it up to get spawns for my level.

Something else I liked better in the Orchard, Blade Barrier.
    It is so random it is difficult to tell. One thing that really annoyed me is that the spawns seem to happen in groups of undead, with a mixure of different levels and while you will get 'level appropriate' it doesn't seem to pay attention to how many people are actually around, I don't know what it goes by here. Maybe it is the people that have passed by in the past ## minutes or something, because most of the time it was spawning multiple undead (even when I was making an effort to be off by my lonesome) and of very mixed CRs. Especially in the rectangular walled areas, there would be around 10 undead of all different levels, and it would be difficult to aggro just one of them.

I'm not sure. If you mean that you get more motes outside of the graveyard then inside I have to disagree. The draught seems pretty useless unless you are going to do some undead stuff anyways and don't mind getting motes for more then 1TP each.
    Maybe I didn't make the comparison clear enough.

In a little over one hour, I got roughly 30 mote drops from the graveyard. Again, that's for 60-75 minutes.

In a single run to the Temple of Vol in the Orchard, I got approximately the same amount of mote drops. + guild renown. The run took....4-5 minutes? With dropping BBs and some kiting.

Not counting the turn-ins, which don't seem to drop as often as they had been for me, running in the Orchard is better for me. Plus, I can farm for tapestry pieces.

Now, once my buddies are on this weekend things may turn around.

It is so random it is difficult to tell. One thing that really annoyed me is that the spawns seem to happen in groups of undead, with a mixure of different levels and while you will get 'level appropriate' it doesn't seem to pay attention to how many people are actually around, I don't know what it goes by here. Maybe it is the people that have passed by in the past ## minutes or something, because most of the time it was spawning multiple undead (even when I was making an effort to be off by my lonesome) and of very mixed CRs. Especially in the rectangular walled areas, there would be around 10 undead of all different levels, and it would be difficult to aggro just one of them
    Yeah I did notice the rectangle grave areas do seem to spawn a random group. I tend to avoid them for that reason. I think usually there was one or two CR 14+ in those groups, but the rest were well below level. Those were the areas I seemed to get the Mabar notification.

I think for soloing, the graveyard isn't as friendly. I kinda get that, it should be a bit of a team effort. There are larger groups of spawns that way so possibly more fruitful for farming and it IS more fun with friends.

But if, like today, none of my buddies are on I think loading up a draught and running the orchard solo is a better bet. Just my opinion based on what I noticed.

I still like hanging out in the graveyard and "mothering" low level groups as I run by them.

Quote Originally Posted by Legohaiden View Post

Answer $

I got one for the first live test and was very pleased with the results. It was active during the event and I did not use it outside of the public spawning area in Delera's.

I got between 2 and 9 motes for nearly every kill that I got, it was not 100% chance. I would say around 75%. I even got motes for some undead that were one step down from my level.

I was doing this with a lvl 20 monk. Over all I would say in the hour that it was active I got around 750 motes just from killing undead.

Now the draught may have changed since the first live test....
    Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. -Seneca the Elder
    Iryklaunavan, Jhasmyne, Desideratum, Temere, Debacchor, Fidicina, Gregorii
    Ubique Eo, Invenio me esse ducem hominium.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast