Community Member

Default Monk/rogue build

hi there....
    can anyone help me with a build of a monk with some self healing abilities (halfing with dragonmark of healing?) and some detect/open secret doors/locks and disarm traps?

ty

Quote Originally Posted by psycho74 View Post
    hi there....
    can anyone help me with a build of a monk with some self healing abilities (halfing with dragonmark of healing?) and some detect/open secret doors/locks and disarm traps?

ty
    for detect hidden there are clickie for that..doors/lock.. there is knock, though wouldn't be able to open high dc lock.. self healing.. i thought all light monk can self healing??(fist of light+light light light finisher)

personally i think the best way is drow 6 monk/14 rogue dark monk build.. put about 14~16 on int and you should be able to master umd, search, disable device and open lock... (umd wand for self healing)

p.s. personally i think all dragon mark are useless.. unless you are a fighter with lots of feat slot to waste...unless you can self heal, mostly the major healing came from umd..at least for me...
    Last edited by windchant; 10-21-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by windchant View Post
    for detect hidden there are clickie for that..doors/lock.. there is knock, though wouldn't be able to open high dc lock.. self healing.. i thought all light monk can self healing??(fist of light+light light light finisher)

personally i think the best way is drow 6 monk/14 rogue dark monk build.. put about 14~16 on int and you should be able to master umd, search, disable device and open lock... (umd wand for self healing)

p.s. personally i think all dragon mark are useless.. unless you are a fighter with lots of feat slot to waste...unless you can self heal, mostly the major healing came from umd..at least for me...
    thx for the tips but.... what are the "UMD"????

Quote Originally Posted by psycho74 View Post
    thx for the tips but.... what are the "UMD"????
    UMD stands for Use Magic Device skill. It allows you to used magice devices that you normally couldn't.

One of the popular and effective builds is to go 13 rogue & 7 monk, with acrobat2 PrE - then you can use quarterstaff for the vast attack speed bonuses while staying centered to get even more bonuses plus doublestrike chance from wind stance. 7th level monk will let you have the self-healing meditation which can be very handy, and theres enough space to take the full halfling dragonmark line for increased self sufficiency - the 1st 2 parts are ok, though nothing special without metamagic at later levels but Heal is always nice & if you take them as soon as they're available, then as a halfling you'll actually have a no-fail Heal spell (though limited uses) even before clerics & favoured souls can get them.

For the light/dark side option, its pretty much personal taste whether you go for dark side with ninja spy to get shadow fade, which is a very handy ability (incorporeal miss chance is nice to have in addition to blur/displacement as iirc since they are different types attacks against you have to roll against both), and being able to use dual shortswords while centered can be very nice too, especially if you get hold of a couple of wounding/puncturing, and a pair of banishers which will make your life considerably easier (plus you'll get a little extra sneak attack damage).

Light side is a viable option too, as Fists Of Light can boost your survivability & the other buffs, while short lived, can be very useful indeed as they stack with pretty much everything and cant be dispelled (also, giving casters 25% SP discount for buffing at the start of a quest, or giving it to healers during a raid can make a noticeable difference in resource use)
    I don't mean to come across as unsympathetic - but I am, so I do.

Quote Originally Posted by FuzzyDuck81 View Post
    One of the popular and effective builds is to go 13 rogue & 7 monk, with acrobat2 PrE - then you can use quarterstaff for the vast attack speed bonuses while staying centered to get even more bonuses plus doublestrike chance from wind stance. 7th level monk will let you have the self-healing meditation which can be very handy, and theres enough space to take the full halfling dragonmark line for increased self sufficiency - the 1st 2 parts are ok, though nothing special without metamagic at later levels but Heal is always nice & if you take them as soon as they're available, then as a halfling you'll actually have a no-fail Heal spell (though limited uses) even before clerics & favoured souls can get them.

For the light/dark side option, its pretty much personal taste whether you go for dark side with ninja spy to get shadow fade, which is a very handy ability (incorporeal miss chance is nice to have in addition to blur/displacement as iirc since they are different types attacks against you have to roll against both), and being able to use dual shortswords while centered can be very nice too, especially if you get hold of a couple of wounding/puncturing, and a pair of banishers which will make your life considerably easier (plus you'll get a little extra sneak attack damage).

Light side is a viable option too, as Fists Of Light can boost your survivability & the other buffs, while short lived, can be very useful indeed as they stack with pretty much everything and cant be dispelled (also, giving casters 25% SP discount for buffing at the start of a quest, or giving it to healers during a raid can make a noticeable difference in resource use)
    i think for staff acrobat it seem to be go with the light.. since you get heal with every attack, and you do attack 30% faster with all enhancement + wind stance. plus staff is str base, walk of the sun would be useful(give +2 ab)..

the dark path's only benifit is been able to use short sword and cast invisible spell with ki. which seem to fit in assassin build. (you could get banishment from other monk weapon....)

p.s. btw why 13/7? is it for wholess of body? does it wroth it? i mean the amount of healing is dependent on your monk level and wis mod... doubt it would make any different at end level..

Partly. 7 Monk for first tier PrE and Wholeness of Body, 13 Rogue for Acrobat II and two Rogue-specific feats.

At least, that's what I think is behind the reasoning for the 13/7 split.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen (Pokémon G/S/C)
    Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by SaneDitto View Post
    Partly. 7 Monk for first tier PrE and Wholeness of Body, 13 Rogue for Acrobat II and two Rogue-specific feats.

At least, that's what I think is behind the reasoning for the 13/7 split.
    yea but with 14/6 you also get the PRE, but not wholeless of body. but you get 4 extra skill point.. which could be helpful if you plan to umd, pick lock, disable device etc..

i think wholeness of body is 1/2 monk level + wis mod.. which is 6/2 + 5(start 14 with +6 wis gear) = 8 hp per tick with a total healing amount of 15X8 = 120 every 3 minutes.. it is nice free healing but you have to stay put for 30 sec.. which seem kinda worthless. i was never been able to use it while in team..

Personally, I consider free healing more valuable than extra skill points. And if your team can't wait for a party member to get back into fighting shape, you shouldn't be in it in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen (Pokémon G/S/C)
    Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites.

Quote Originally Posted by SaneDitto View Post
    Personally, I consider free healing more valuable than extra skill points. And if your team can't wait for a party member to get back into fighting shape, you shouldn't be in it in the first place.
    well mostly while cleric still have mana there are no need to use wholeness of body.. when cleric is outa mana they just us RS brust to heal you.. or other team member will use wand.. i did try to use it few time, but other team member always heal me to full within first 10 sec XD

Community Member

wow.....
    i didn't expect so much interest in this char!!!
    i realize now it is a really interesting combination!!

but....even if you all gave me lot of ideas... .now... i'm more confused than before!!

...anyone has already a build i can look??

Wholeness of body is handy to have, especially if soloing & the other thing 7th monk level gets you is the 2nd tier of healing amplification.

If you only want 6 monk levels, the 14th rogue level gets you some more skill points but nothing else of note. The other helpful options could be wizard (take maximise as the bonus feat to boost your least/lesser dragonmarks, plus you'll be able to use wizard wands with no fail chance) or fighter (extra HP from 1st tier toughness enhancement plus an extra feat).

Community Member

Default Monk/Rogue

I have a 16 Monk / Rogue 3 it works very well. I took the Dark path the ninja spy adds a lot to survivablity.
    with some equipment i have been able to find and disarm any traps i have come across and unlock doors.

I also have a light monk same stats and she takes a lot more damage, the healing ki is nice, if you need a quick burst it is fine. At level 12 with some monk and human improved recovery will typically heal for 20-25hp. not much but if you can do it quickly enough its the difference between life and death. Also heals those around.

Wholeness of body is good not a quick heal and only really useful if you are no where near the cleric and not in danger of being hit.

come to think about it.. wouldn't it be better to splash 1 level of barb/fighter/ranger?
    so 13 rogue/6monk/1 barb/fighter/ranger

1lvl of barb give rage and fast movement(10%)
    1lvl of fighter give 1 extra feat
    1lvl of ranger give bow strength feat

Quote Originally Posted by windchant View Post
    come to think about it.. wouldn't it be better to splash 1 level of barb/fighter/ranger?
    so 13 rogue/6monk/1 barb/fighter/ranger

1lvl of barb give rage and fast movement(10%)
    1lvl of fighter give 1 extra feat
    1lvl of ranger give bow strength feat
    You cant have barb & monk on the same character due to alignment restrictions - for the same reason you couldnt have a single bard level.

For the ranger level, bow strength could be handy if you also take zen archery which lets you stay centered while using bows, but the real benefits of ranger would be the ability to use no-fail cure wands & get a single favoured enemy type for a little extra damage.. (+3 per attack including the 1st tier of bonus damage enhancement) it'd also give the 1st tier of sprint boost for bursts when charging/retreating

Fighter bonus feat & 1st tier toughness enhancement is nice, very straightforward.

Paladin could be a potentially handy one too, though would limit you to lawful good alignment - no extra feat, but you'd get the 1st tier aura and can spend AP so it'll grant +3 concentration to boost your Ki a little, as well as a toughness enhancement for +10 HP. You'd also get a smite, but with low pally levels & CHA modifier it'd hardly be worth it.

Edit: I forgot to add, with paladin or ranger you'll also get access to the 1st tier of devotion enhancements for +10% extra effect when using your dragonmarks or healing ki - not a huge amount, but its there. My personal preference on the dragonmarked build would still be to take the single level wiz splash for maximise though.
    Last edited by FuzzyDuck81; 10-25-2010 at 05:32 AM.