Default Greater Dragonmark of Storm

Has anyone tried the Greater Dragonmark of Storm: Call Lightning Storm? Is it equal any spell or is more like an effect like the effects of Shroud weapons? Ty.

Community Member

I did not have the chance to test on Llama-landia but the way I understood it worked like this. Has a duration of roughly 1 minute. During that time it randomly? strikes targets within its distance with a lighhtning bolt and had reflex save for half damage. Can be maximised, empowered...could not be extended I think.

The way I understood it is that the spell dc were based on CHA?

Sorry for not having exact data. Would also like to know how much damage it does. How often does it proc etc. Considering adding it to my wizard, but just not sure if its worth spending 3 feats.

Quote Originally Posted by ddobard1 View Post
    Has anyone tried the Greater Dragonmark of Storm: Call Lightning Storm? Is it equal any spell or is more like an effect like the effects of Shroud weapons? Ty.
    I have a new half-cleric that I am bringing up and intend to take all of the dragonmarks. He is currently level 7 and has the Lesser Dragonmark learned. I intend to get the Greater when it is available. I actually like the Least Dragonmark as it occasionally slows down a monster. I'll let you know what it is like unless another responds first when I get it.
    Fizban - Avatar of Khyber
    Guild Leader of Legends: Where adventurers are born & Legends live.

Community Member

Anyone have done any testing or have any info regarding the matter. Would not like to eat a lesser heart of wood to try them - find out they are garbage and eat another just to get back to starting point.

I tested it on Lam, it isn't worth 3 feats unless you completly spec just for it. No extend, duration 24 +3/level or 84 at 20. The save is cha based, so even on a evo archmage, you won't have top end dc. I am going to try a sorc lightning nuking build with it, but the feats are a problem. I have to drop toughness or heighten, and can take no spell pen or focus feats. Also have to spend 10 aps on extra marks and equip the tower dragonmark set. It hits like a lit II shroud weapon every few seconds, but sometimes I would go long periods of time with no hits. Without knowing the exact formula, can't tell if it is buggy or not.

Conclusion, only take it if you are a evo archmage with a high cha or a sorc, who wants to heavily spec in lightning.

On average it seems to strike once every 3-5 seconds if a target is within range. The Range is pretty decent, and I rather liked the damage output on lamannia, mind you this was on an archmage wizard with high charisma.

Going off memory here, but the spell normally did around 300 damage and 500-600 on a crit. So assuming it hits once every 4 seconds, at level 20 that is 21 times per cast, times 300 damage assuming no crits we are talking around 6,300 damage for no spell points. This is with maximize and empower. And that's just 1 charge, with enhancements you can have 5 charges for 31,500+ damage total.
    The poster formerly known as San'tar...

Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Don't make me pull this forum over and come back there

Community Member

Thanks for the info guys. Sound like its actually not too bad at all - for a dragonmark at least. I have evo-archmage helf that is around level 9 and was curious if this is worth it. Sounds like I will give it a shot. My char has a base cha at 14 so wont reach top end DCs but with greater evo and archmage enhancements should be decent.

Duration seems too short. 1 min on my 12 half elf wizard. Damage with Max/Enlarge is only hitting mobs for 60-130 in searing heights. Cha is 11 (full int wiz)
    Timing between hits seems too long. Waited almost 20-30 seconds to hit a mob at times, and other times it would hit one after the other with 2 mobs.
    I don't like the effect either.
    What might be better is just a clicky that lightning strikes the mob for 1d10+3 per lvl with half damage on save (caster level+int mod+focus), with max/empower enabled. That would make it worth it for the feat cost.
    As for now I used up my free feat exchange, and spent 1 S. Shard to re-feat my wiz. Don't bother with the feat line. 99% of the mobs would be dead in a group anyway before one went off.

Community Member

Old message chain but wanted to update a bit at level 19 currently. I must say I'm loving it. This should be great for air savants. On my wiz with max and emp on most times it does about 300 avg on succesful saves with almost 900ish on crits and failed save. It has a decent range and goes of every 2-4 secs if there are mobs in range. My only gripe with this is that mobs get SR checks....should not for damage spells...and at least for me spell penetration is d20+13 instead of 19 which is my character level.

I dont use least hardly ever except to clear some nasty fogs sometimes.
    I usually use the lesser ones even though the damage is not all that impressive its still free damage.
    The greater dm is all win as far as I'm conserned. As most AOE are now 30 sec the 80 sec feels quite long and it follows you where ever you go so you dont need to kite mobs through it.