Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Returning Arrows

it would be great if there were a ranger/and or elven enhancement that lets you imbue your currently used arrows with returning. Maybe like a ranger spell that costs 20sp , lasts for 5 minutes and makes your equipped arrows act as returning arrows.

maybe even include it in arcane archer pre.

and please....bring in hammer arrows for skeletons.

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Get your house D favor, they sell returning arrows and bolts.

+1 For the ideas

Mainly because you have shards of light for skeletons, and it would actually make them worth using if a arcane archer could make these 100% returning!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    OPs idea revolves around other types of arrows, ie anarchic, axiomatic, flaming, silver, coldiron etc.

If an arcane archer could make these 100% returning then the problems with aa ranged dps would actually be brought back of the dark ages imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    as the post after you states, this is mainly for arrows with different effects, not just the +3 variety.

Community Member dragons1ayer74's Avatar

The returning arrows from house d are nice but should not be the only real source of ammunition for missile combatants. The DDO cast had some great ranged combat discussion on the last show, returning arrows where only mentioned as raid loot, a good idea but I like this idea too. An enhancement to make ammunition returning would be great, the enhancement line should be available for any character that has the rapid shot feat, basically any one using a missile or thrown weapon that has a little bit invested in it. The enhancement line could be called "Skilled Retriver". From the perspective of the user there ammunition is not magically enhanced but rather it represents taking time after the heat of battle to recover some of their ammunition. For ease of game administration and player ease of use this would be in the form of a stacking returning percentage.

Here is my recomendation on how to add it to DDO.

Skilled Retriever 1
    Cost: 2 AP
    The combatant is skilled at recovering and reusing ammunition.
    Prerequisites: Rapid Shot
    Benefit: Add stacking +25% returning to any missile/thrown weapon

Skilled Retriever 2
    Cost: 1 AP
    The combatant is more skilled at recovering and reusing ammunition.
    Prerequisites: Skilled Retriever 1, 16 AP Spent
    Benefit: Add a stacking +10% (for a +35% total from enhancement) Returning to any missile/thrown weapon

Skilled Retriever 3
    Prerequisites: Skilled Retriever 2, 32 AP Spent
    Benefit: Add a stacking +5% (for a +40% total from enhancement) Returning to any missile/thrown weapon
    Last edited by dragons1ayer74; 10-19-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Community Member

The returning might be a bit overpowered. I think blunt and slashing arrows though are long overdue - could easily be added to the House D merchant. Would also think that AA's should be able to choose their damage type when they summon their arrows.

This is a great idea if it replaces Slaying Arrows.
    Favorite Quote: "Why are you being so serious?" - The Joker

(how do I get interviewed by DDO because I have lots of cool ideas)

Community Member hityawithastick's Avatar

Returning arrows should take damage when they hit oozes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chai View Post
    Dragons cant be vorped.
    Wait! Where are you going? Come back here and die for my fleeting tactical advantage!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcTharin View Post
    Hityawithastick, the super-naked dragon-slayer.

This would be interesting no matter how it's done.
    If the returning property became an arrow Imbue of it's own, it would be great (espeically if it appears alongside the first imbue so we get it at level 6)
    If the returning property was added to all arrows you fire if you have the right enhancement, it would be great even if there is only a % chance of them actually returning.
    If you had to cast a spell that would make your arrows returning, it would STILL be great.

The first is already balanced, the second would be balanced since it would cost AP and be partial and the third would be alright so long as the spell is given in the Arcane archer PrE arcane archer.

Something needs to be done to allow archers to use random drop arrows

Quote Originally Posted by h4x0r1f1c View Post
    This is a great idea if it replaces Slaying Arrows.
    This will replace Slayer arrows, and two levels of monk won't give you evasion, polar ray won't exist PWS will stop working Flesh to Stone will stop working and meteor swarm will more closely mimic a 4 year old tossing pebbles at people.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamblerjoe View Post
    if u put 1000 smurves in front of 1000 computers, eventually one of them will make a pally that isnt a complete abomination.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonofsteel2 View Post
    Why should I care about what none friends think? It really not like anythink they do are say in this game really affects me.

Community Member AltheaSteelrain's Avatar

I vote for random loot returning arrows.

I am sick of UMD's N number of Fire Arrows from wands just to get a cheap 1-6 extra damage against trash mobs that are not immune from it. :P
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoJ View Post
    I've never spent more than 5 minutes in a character generator. But I've spent countless hours talking about myself, and how great I am.

The Most Gimpiest Bard Build Ever!
    Before you start a bard, please read:
    Diva's Bard Love Guide / Genghis Khan by LeslieWestGuitarGod / Rabidly Halfling by Madmatt70

Quote Originally Posted by toughguyjoe View Post
    This will replace Slayer arrows, and two levels of monk won't give you evasion, polar ray won't exist PWS will stop working Flesh to Stone will stop working and meteor swarm will more closely mimic a 4 year old tossing pebbles at people.
    Wow. You actually fed the troll O.o
    I've never spent more than 5 minutes in a character generator. But I've spent countless hours talking about myself, and how great I am.

Diva's Bard Love Guide / Genghis Khan by LeslieWestGuitarGod / Rabidly Halfling by Madmatt70

PWS will stop working
    NO!!!!! This will completely break PvE!!!!!! I see party wipes in the future

Quote Originally Posted by AltheaSteelrain View Post
    Wow. You actually fed the troll O.o
    Going to feed the Troll slayer arrows once Dispelpwn gets up to level!
    Quote Originally Posted by gamblerjoe View Post
    if u put 1000 smurves in front of 1000 computers, eventually one of them will make a pally that isnt a complete abomination.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonofsteel2 View Post
    Why should I care about what none friends think? It really not like anythink they do are say in this game really affects me.

Quote Originally Posted by dragons1ayer74 View Post

From the perspective of the user there ammunition is not magically enhanced but rather it represents taking time after the heat of battle to recover some of their ammunition. For ease of game administration and player ease of use this would be in the form of a stacking returning percentage.

Skilled Retriever 1

Skilled Retriever 2
    Benefit: Add a stacking +10% (for a +35% total from enhancement) Returning to any missile/thrown weapon

Skilled Retriever 3
    Benefit: Add a stacking +5% (for a +40% total from enhancement) Returning to any missile/thrown weapon
    I like the way you describe this, it would also go a long way in explaining why ranged combat is so slow

Quote Originally Posted by dragons1ayer74 View Post
    The returning arrows from house d are nice but should not be the only real source of ammunition for missile combatants. The DDO cast had some great ranged combat discussion on the last show, returning arrows where only mentioned as raid loot, a good idea but I like this idea too. An enhancement to make ammunition returning would be great, the enhancement line should be available for any character that has the rapid shot feat, basically any one using a missile or thrown weapon that has a little bit invested in it. The enhancement line could be called "Skilled Retriver". From the perspective of the user there ammunition is not magically enhanced but rather it represents taking time after the heat of battle to recover some of their ammunition. For ease of game administration and player ease of use this would be in the form of a stacking returning percentage.

Skilled Retriever 1

Skilled Retriever 2

Skilled Retriever 3
    I could definitely get behind that one, though not real sure on the numbers there. 40% only gives you 28 from a stack of 20 (probability wise). Even 75% (non-stacking with inherent) would only raise that to 35, which doesn't seem that OP given either many-shot or repeater heavy usage. Now if you're only using the things as a differently modeled returning dagger, sure, but I'll blow through 500 or more a quest on average of those 75%'ers from house D on the one I've got at present built for primary ranging.

Going to feed the Troll slayer arrows once Dispelpwn gets up to level!
    lolx

Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    I could definitely get behind that one, though not real sure on the numbers there. 40% only gives you 28 from a stack of 20 (probability wise). Even 75% (non-stacking with inherent) would only raise that to 35, which doesn't seem that OP given either many-shot or repeater heavy usage. Now if you're only using the things as a differently modeled returning dagger, sure, but I'll blow through 500 or more a quest on average of those 75%'ers from house D on the one I've got at present built for primary ranging.
    First returning is not like normal math "40% only gives you 28 from a stack of 20 (probability wise). " 40% Returning is more statistically like an actual percentage increase of 66%. So stacks of 20 would be like getting a bonus of 13 arrows on average. Secondly the ideas where also meant to go hand in hand with increasing the random arrow drops form 20 to 100 and also work with some random arrows already in the game (ie: Screaming Amethyst Arrows and / or Shards of Light).

I do conceit that the proposed values need adjusted or the system tweaked. A stacking +40% to bring some arrows to over 100% is perhaps overpowered. In the same way that 40% on random arrows is better than nothing but on a stack of 20 arrows really not great for the cost associated. A better system might be 30% per tier for base ammunition that is non-returning and 10% per tier for ammunition that already posses a returning percentage.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyker View Post
    I like the way you describe this, it would also go a long way in explaining why ranged combat is so slow
    lol +1

You mean ranged combat is slow because in game it represents players taking time after combat to go retrieve the ammunition.

ROFL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast