Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Epic Sword of Shadow versus Epic Antique Greateaxe

I am wondering with 1 is better for my barbarian and I really dont know with 1 I should take, both are greate...
    Epic Sword of Shadow have crit 18-20/x3 5d6+10 and Adamentine attacks
    Epic Antique Greateaxe have crit 20/x3 2d12+6 force burst and Metalline attacks

so antique can bypass much more reductions... but sword of shadow should have better avarage dps and better plus to hit... I really don't know with 1 I should take

Community Member

the epic antique greataxe is the poor man's choice.

ppl that have the epic sos, use the epic sos.
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

Community Member mediocresurgeon's Avatar

In general:
    Epic Sword of Shadow > All other weapons
    Epic Antique Greataxe > Mineral II Greataxe

Epic Antique Greataxe will out-DPS eSoS if you are fighting devil raid bosses on Hard or Elite, though.

If you love your barb, get both.

The nerfing will continue until morale improves!

Quote Originally Posted by mediocresurgeon View Post
    In general:

Epic Antique Greataxe will out-DPS eSoS if you are fighting devil raid bosses on Hard or Elite, though.

Yes, exactly.

Why not get both?

They're from two different content packs (Carnival and VON), so you can farm for the components for both, and get a decent amount of tokens in the process. Also, the Greataxe is the one you're likely to get first, and it'll be a good introduction to the DPS output you can see on Epic weapons.

Raw Damage vs. Versatility.. but choosing isn't necessary. Get both, love both.

Also, don't neglect the Epic Hammer of Life. One more big two-hander to keep an eye out for, just in case you manage to find the parts for it first.

Angry

I love my barb and havent even managed to get either of the normal ones to drop.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by stoolcannon View Post
    I love my barb and havent even managed to get either of the normal ones to drop.
    so how many completions you have?
    Thelanis - Inferus Sus
    Keeper Refugee - Exclusively playing Warforged
    Nursing IsFutile (FvS) - Unorthodox Behaviour (Kensai) - Bigbofo (Warchanter) - Nukelear Blast (Sorc) - Jurugu Fleshbane (currently TRing) - Reviving IsCheaper (Radiant Blaster)

You can get the base antique greataxe in about 1hr. Its about a 50% drop for the end reward of the chain. Do the chain 2-3 times and you will have it. Something tells me you are looking for it in chests instead of as the end reward for the chain lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Quote Originally Posted by blitzschlag View Post
    so how many completions you have?
    Let's just say I'm not ****ing and moaning about the drop rate

I've been focused on my GS for now. I'll switch over to SoS as soon as I complete my 2nd Tier II.

This is my first barb (and my favorite toon I've played in any game much less DDO) and he's only level 18.

So far I've got a Tier II (Min II) and will craft a Tier II (Lit II) tomorrow. I'm a few devil scales and several other larges away from Tier 3 of either and I haven't decided which one to complete first.

So far I've got a Tier II (Min II) and will craft a Tier II (Lit II) tomorrow. I'm a few devil scales and several other larges away from Tier 3 of either and I haven't decided which one to complete first.
    Considering the relative ease of getting the Antique Greataxe Epiced, I think you'd be better served making the Lit II, and taking about two weeks of nonstop Epic Big Top/Snitch until you get what you need, and roll from there.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    Considering the relative ease of getting the Antique Greataxe Epiced, I think you'd be better served making the Lit II, and taking about two weeks of nonstop Epic Big Top/Snitch until you get what you need, and roll from there.
    The main reason for the min2 greataxe is that you can use it at level 12.
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Getting shard is the really tricky part. I have over 100 ev6 completions across my characters but no luck so far.
    Osmand d'Medani, Stonebearer Eric, Wardreamer

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCalico View Post
    True, this would be the main reason for anyone interested in doing a True Reincarnation. The original poster did not express any interest in this thus far.

It would be faster to make a lit 2, and then grab the parts to make the epic antique great axe. The min2 great axe, at that point is nothing but flavor if they wish to TR that toon.

If they wish to raid, generic DR busters are relatively cheap in comparison to buying larges for greensteel. Those can certainly serve well enough until they finish crafting.

Agreed.

But since he's already at level 18 on a non-TR toon.. meh. He's gonna be 20 soon anyway, min level won't matter for a while. If ever. Maybe he doesn't plan to TR the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDearLeader View Post
    Lit2 can be used at level 12 just as good as Min2.
    Osmand d'Medani, Stonebearer Eric, Wardreamer

Post well

I believe that it is widley understood that the ESOS is much better, albeit harder to aquire than the AGA.
    Whooops. We clearly were out of line with several of these ingredients. Including items like Dreamspitter and Chattering Ring is an embarrasing error on our part and was in no way intentional.

2014 DDO Players Council

Try look for both. SoS may be harder to get but then you can always use the Ancient GA in the meantime
    Don't let common sense stop you...
    Qualified Devil's Advocate ` Refugee Boldrei '06 / Keeper '09

I say: they're all good and get whatcha like. Do your GS's and try for the SoS or AGA when you need a break from grinding or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by mediocresurgeon View Post
    In general:

Lol. Come on man the Epic antique Greataxe is not in general better then mineral 2 they are prettty equivalent and much of the time min 2 is better. Post some numbers before you make claims. Here is my stance if I have a mineral 2 GA I am not wasting time farming the clown series because everything else is junk and unless one of the items that currently can not be made (once seals in a small problem drop) is great then forget about it. Do not waste time.
    Norg Fighter12/Paladin6/Monk2, Jacquiej Cleric18/Monk1/Wiz1, Rabiez Bard16/Ranger3/Cleric1, Hangover Bard L20, Boomsticks Fighter12/Monk 6/Druid 2, Grumblegut Ranger8/Paladin6/Monk6, Rabidly Rogue L20, Furiously Rogue10/Monk6/Paladin4, Snowcones Cleric 12/Ranger 6/Monk 2, Norge Barbarian 12/FVS4/Rogue4. Guild:Prophets of The New Republic Khyber.

Quote Originally Posted by maddmatt70 View Post
    Lol. Come on man the Epic antique Greataxe is not in general better then mineral 2 they are prettty equivalent and much of the time min 2 is better. Post some numbers before you make claims. Here is my stance if I have a mineral 2 GA I am not wasting time farming the clown series because everything else is junk and unless one of the items that currently can not be made (once seals in a small problem drop) is great then forget about it. Do not waste time.
    Well while I agree with you on the MINII > AGA, the main reason to make that one epic over a minII is to save larges IMO.

Aliann (Fighter12/Barbarian6/Rogue2) - Alavann (Rogue20) - Alaminum (Sorcerer18) - Alidrone (Barbarian/Fighter18/2)

Quote Originally Posted by P3tunion View Post
    Well while I agree with you on the MINII > AGA, the main reason to make that one epic over a minII is to save larges IMO.
    That is a pretty good reason tho.

Plus, Kehgeld swears the AGA is better and I generally believe him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast