Default 7 Fighter/1 Rogue/12 Ranger Advise appreciated

Hi,

First off all i hope you don't mind if my english sounds a little funny sometimes and there are some grammar errors. I'm no native speaker and my english is far from perfect.

I came up with an idea for a new character i would like to play, but since i am a rather inexperienced player i guess there is much room for improvement.
    The basic idea behind this character is that he should be able to solo much of the content. I know this is a party game and i enjoy playing my bard or pala in a party but sometimes I just want something different. Of course the character should be able to fullfil his role in a party too. Some DPS & to be a Trapmonkey in this case.

Vindariel d'Thuranni
    Level 20 Chaotic Neutral Elf Male
    (7 Fighter / 1 Rogue / 12 Ranger)
    Hit Points: 304
    Spell Points: 136

BAB: 19/19/24/2929
    Fortitude: 15
    Reflex: 15
    Will: 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
    (32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
    Strength 16 23
    Dexterity 14 16
    Constitution 14 14
    Intelligence 12 12
    Wisdom 12 12
    Charisma 8 8

Base Skills Modified Skills
    Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
    Balance 6 9
    Disable Device 5 25
    Hide 6 17
    Jump 7 12
    Move Silently 6 15
    Open Lock 6 9
    Search 5 23
    Use Magic Device 3 22

Level 1 (Rogue)
    Feat: (Selected) Least Dragonmark of Shadow

Level 2 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 3 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Dodge

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Construct
    Feat: (Selected) Mobility

Level 7 (Ranger)

Level 8 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Spring Attack

Level 9 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 10 (Fighter)

Level 11 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons

Level 12 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 13 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Slashing Weapons

Level 14 (Ranger)

Level 15 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Lesser Dragonmark of Shadow

Level 16 (Ranger)

Level 17 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider

Level 18 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) ???

Level 19 (Fighter)

Level 20 (Ranger)

Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost II
    Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost III
    Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost I
    Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
    Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Attack II
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Damage II
    Enhancement: Extra Dragonmark Use II
    Enhancement: Kensei Scimitar Mastery I
    Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy II
    Enhancement: Fighter Kensei I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Attack II
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage III
    Enhancement: Ranger Tempest I
    Enhancement: Ranger Tempest II
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
    Enhancement: Rogue Disable Device I
    Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I
    Enhancement: Fighter Strength II
    Enhancement: Fighter Toughness III
    Enhancement: Elven Enchantment Resistance II

4 Points left
    I decided to go Ranger 12 because of the spells and tempest prestige and to add some fighter lvls to be able to get some vor variety and damage. The rogue lvl is for some useful skills ... obviously.

I guess many will complain about the dragonmarks, but I am more or less settled here. I like the chance to link the character a little bit with the background story and testet this enchantment once on another char which was quite fun.

What do I expect from this character:

- a good survivability even without buffs from other casters
    - to do decent DPS
    - to be able to heal himself
    - to be able to disable most traps and open locks

Some problems I have with this character:

- the Will save is still low

I hope to get some input how to improve this char, although negativ criticism is appreciated too. If this char is going to to more or less worthless in Late-Game i wanna know it. I can live with the fact to do less dmg than optimal build DPS chars as long as its only about maybe 60%.
    Last edited by N-0cturn; 10-05-2010 at 03:46 PM.

You get the best ranged feats free with ranger (bow strength, manyshot & improved precise shot) so archery will be pretty useful. When soloing you dont get agro from the party for kiting so it's always an option.

When you swap out GTWF before you level to 18, I would suggest either Empower Healing or Maximise to make your self heals better, or maybe Improved Crit Ranged if you get into the archery aspect.

For your will save you might be able to get it to a respectable level with the right kit, or bite the bullet and take more wisdom at creation (not such a bad thing as you'll get a bit more SP for heals also). Maybe even get Iron Will (lol) when you're swapping out of GTWF.

Ah thanks for your answer.

Quote Originally Posted by negativeprogression View Post
    You get the best ranged feats free with ranger (bow strength, manyshot & improved precise shot) so archery will be pretty useful. When soloing you dont get agro from the party for kiting so it's always an option.
    Good to know i don't have to care about other range feats than the given ones. Gives me a chance to test ranged combat without a trade-off.
    When you swap out GTWF before you level to 18, I would suggest either Empower Healing or Maximise to make your self heals better, or maybe Improved Crit Ranged if you get into the archery aspect.
    I didn't think of empower healing and maximise because I asumed i would be healing with Wands and Scrolls most of the time. With lvl 12 of Ranger I would only have 112 Spellpoints + 42 Points with a +6 Wis item + SP from equipment. That ain't many and I'm not sure if there would be much left for healing after i casted the buffs. And heal moderate will be my best healing spell ^^)
    or does the feats also apply to scroll healing? If that's the case I'll take back everything i said and claim the contrary.

For your will save you might be able to get it to a respectable level with the right kit, or bite the bullet and take more wisdom at creation (not such a bad thing as you'll get a bit more SP for heals also). Maybe even get Iron Will (lol) when you're swapping out of GTWF.
    hm yeah i really could go to 12 con and 14 wis ... would mean to get +2 will save and 42 SP but lose 20 HP. Of course i could take toughness at 18 so balance things out. Overall does not really seems to be worth it.
    Seems like i will habe to boost it with equipment. At least every pure Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger have the same Problem unless they take some Wis.

Another thing that crossed my mind is, that i would get some important ranger abilities not until i reach a high lvl (lvl 15 Protection from Elements, Barkskin ; lvl 16 evasion, lvl 18 30 point resist). A +2 int tome could help to get more Skill Points and change the level order, but i don't see that comming ^^

As an alternative, you might take a look at a 12 ftr/ 7rogue/ 1 monk build http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...90&postcount=4

It will put out more dps, has more HP, and better saves than your posted build. It also should meet all your stated requirements in what you are looking for.
    Last edited by Mangloid; 10-05-2010 at 10:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!

(I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Quote Originally Posted by N-0cturn View Post
    I didn't think of empower healing and maximise because I asumed i would be healing with Wands and Scrolls most of the time. With lvl 12 of Ranger I would only have 112 Spellpoints + 42 Points with a +6 Wis item + SP from equipment. That ain't many and I'm not sure if there would be much left for healing after i casted the buffs. And heal moderate will be my best healing spell ^^)
    or does the feats also apply to scroll healing? If that's the case I'll take back everything i said and claim the contrary.

hm yeah i really could go to 12 con and 14 wis ... would mean to get +2 will save and 42 SP but lose 20 HP. Of course i could take toughness at 18 so balance things out. Overall does not really seems to be worth it.
    Seems like i will habe to boost it with equipment. At least every pure Barbarian, Fighter, Ranger have the same Problem unless they take some Wis.

Another thing that crossed my mind is, that i would get some important ranger abilities not until i reach a high lvl (lvl 15 Protection from Elements, Barkskin ; lvl 16 evasion, lvl 18 30 point resist). A +2 int tome could help to get more Skill Points and change the level order, but i don't see that comming ^^
    Oh yea only L12 ranger cure moderate, maybe maximise or empower not such a good idea, no the feats dont work with scrolls and wands sorry

...although... if you're bumping wis, and take maximise, plus can get an item with potency and healing lore, cure mod might be quite decent.. you might get to to 500+ spellpoints eventually so a few heals even after buffing.

I'm never keen on taking con less than 14 on a build though (always costly since i have quite a few elves), I'd drop strength before thinking about dropping con, but you could get away with it by having 2 toughness feats as you say.

The build Mangloid posted looks pretty solid for solo & party play but you wouldnt be able to try out ranged combat, try working up an elven version of that build with the dragonmark feats you want included, then you can compare it to this build and see which you might prefer.

Community Member

I have a character similar to what you proposed. Easy to play, easy to solo or group with. A good all-around utility DPS. She looks like this:

Andrialla
    Level 20 Chaotic Good Elf Female
    (6 Fighter \ 2 Rogue \ 12 Ranger)
    Hit Points: 332
    Spell Points: 115
    BAB: 19\19\24\29\29
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 17
    Will: 6

Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
    (32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
    Strength 16 24 (30 with gear)
    Dexterity 14 18 (25 with gear)
    Constitution 14 16 (22 with gear)
    Intelligence 12 12
    Wisdom 10 10 (16 with gear)
    Charisma 10 10 (11 with gear)

Tomes Used
    +2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
    +2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7

Base Skills Modified Skills
    Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
    Balance 6 15
    Disable Device 5 25
    Haggle 4 4
    Jump 7 11
    Open Lock 6 11
    Search 5 28
    Spot 4 14
    Tumble 6 8
    Use Magic Device 4 23

Level 1 (Rogue)

Level 2 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead

Level 3 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Dodge

Level 4 (Ranger)

Level 5 (Ranger)

Level 6 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Selected) Mobility
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Spring Attack

Level 7 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Oversized Two Weapon Fighting

Level 8 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Elemental

Level 9 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 10 (Rogue)

Level 11 (Fighter)

Level 12 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Improved Critical: Piercing Weapons
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Piercing Weapons

Level 13 (Fighter)

Level 14 (Fighter)
    Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Piercing Weapons

Level 15 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 16 (Ranger)

Level 17 (Ranger)

Level 18 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider

Level 19 (Ranger)

Level 20 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost I
    Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost II
    Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I
    Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
    Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost II
    Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost I
    Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost II
    Enhancement: Ranger Skill Boost III
    Enhancement: Ranger Sprint Boost I
    Enhancement: Aerenal Elf Melee Attack I
    Enhancement: Aerenal Elf Melee Attack II
    Enhancement: Aerenal Elf Melee Damage I
    Enhancement: Aerenal Elf Melee Damage II
    Enhancement: Kensei Rapier Mastery I
    Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
    Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy II
    Enhancement: Fighter Kensei I
    Enhancement: Fighter Item Defense I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Attack I
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Attack II
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage II
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage III
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Resistance I
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Resistance II
    Enhancement: Ranger Tempest I
    Enhancement: Ranger Tempest II
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I
    Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
    Enhancement: Rogue Disable Device I
    Enhancement: Rogue Open Lock I
    Enhancement: Ranger Search I
    Enhancement: Ranger Search II
    Enhancement: Ranger Spot I
    Enhancement: Ranger Spot II
    Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I
    Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II
    Enhancement: Fighter Strength I
    Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I
    Enhancement: Fighter Toughness II

HP:
    332 - Build and Enhancements
    60 - Con +6 belt (Vornes)
    30 - Greater FL belt (Vornes)
    20 - Minos Legens
    10 - Argonesson Favor
    452 Unbuffed

AC:
    A joke. I get hit a lot.
    Andrialla / Archellus / Corylone / Rorifeela / Rugare / Slappi / Sylvarian
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

Your character is certainly a viable build, you should be able to solo relatively well with it, and be fine in groups at higher levels. But, it won't be able to do everything you want.

Your AC likely won't be too useful past level 8 or 9. The way the enemies scale, to have useful AC at higher levels you need to really focus on it, and the class splits you chose aren't optimal. That's not a big problem as most characters can't get a useful AC, it's just an observation.

You will have some self-healing, but you'll find that you'll do most of it between fights. Wands and potions aren't easy to use mid-battle, and your best cure spell (cure moderate wounds) won't do much. If you get the right gear, you'll eventually be able to get your UMD skill high enough to use heal scrolls; that will be very nice healing, but you won't get there until you're at high-level.

Unless you have already memorized the location of most traps, you will have trouble if you don't put points into your spot skill. Spot makes you aware of traps, which allows you to then use search to find it. Since you're willing to invest in a +2 tome for DEX, I'd suggest also getting a +2 INT tome, which will give you a skill point to put into spot.

I would suggest dropping the Rogue Faster Sneaking enhancement, as it's not very useful. I'd also suggest dropping the Ranger Favoured Defence enhancement, since your AC won't be useful anyway, adding 1 point to it against favoured enemies won't help. I'm not sure what you could do with those points, but putting them into something that will help directly help your combat effectiveness would be better, if that's possible.

On the Will Save issue, that is a weakness of the build, and hard to get around. You can improve your save in a few ways: more Wisdom, buying the Elf Enchantment Resistance enhancement (almost all Will Saves are against enchantment), or resistance items. There is a very good item that you can get for free that gives you +5 to your will saves; the level 12 quest, Relic of a Sovereign Past, allows you to gather collectibles in the quest and buy one of a number of items at the end. One of them is the Nightforge Darkhelm.

http://ddowiki.com/page/A_Relic_of_a_Sovereign_Past
    http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:A_R...t_reward_items

Good luck, and have fun.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

Thanks @ all for the feedback .

Ich changed the character a bit based on what you suggested. Most changes was based on the fact that for this character AC is obsolent at higher lvls.
    Attributes:
    -1 Str, -1 Dex and +4 Wis

Feats:
    Toughness at lvl 13 instead of lvl 18. GTWF comes with 11 lvl ranger at lvl 18.

Enchantments:
    - Armor mastery (+6)
    - Elf Dex 2 (+4)
    - faster sneaking (+1)
    - favored defense (+1)
    + fighter toughness III (-3)
    + extra Dragonmark use II (-2)
    + Elven Enchantment Resistance I + II (-3)

4 points are still left, a possibility could be the ranged damage/attack enchantments.
    @ Mangloid:
    Yeah your build is quite nice although it has about the same HP if one doesn't count the con tome (at least after i added Toughness III ^^) .The higher Wis safe is a nice one though. I dont have the time to run the nummbers at the moment but one problem would be that the sneak attack part of the DPS is more or less useless while solo play because there aint other player to attack for the monster. Maybe tomorrow I'll have some time for a better comparison.

@negativeprogression:
    You are probably right about the con loss. I'll have to see ingame if I'll be able do fit some healing with spells into it. At the moment I would guess, that the item restrictment would be to great to be worth it.

@Maelphistez:
    nice to see an alike build and to hear it works fine . I thought about 2 lvl rogue at well but in the end I decided for 7 lvl fighter because of haste boost III
    How do you manage the low will save?

@Mercureal:
    Hm yeah Spot would be nice ... I know the traps of some quests pretty good but always forget about other ...
    The helm would help a lot, although it would only be a temporary solutions since i would want minos legend on my head as soon as possible.
    Last edited by N-0cturn; 10-05-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Community Member

You fail a lot. Simple as that.

Try hard to get the delving boots for the FoM and that'll make life a lot easier.
    Andrialla / Archellus / Corylone / Rorifeela / Rugare / Slappi / Sylvarian
    Knight of The Silver Legion (Forum name: Rugar)
    Cannith