Default Bound to character items

A guy was complaining about his TR character. Told me he was going to stash his bound-to-character items and delete his character -- then create a new character with the same name.

I told him he'd lose his BTC items.

Am I right?

Yep.

Unless he TR's....yes, he will lose those items.
    Ghallanda - Deltree (Rogue 11), Niecih (Cleric 14) Pemn (Barb 8), Ehseri (Sorc 3) - Blackmoor Defenders

Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

You are correct.

When you TR your stuff is kept for you in the bank.

If you delete other than by TR, your character and all its stuff is gone.

There have been cases where people have stated that if they delete a character and then re-create one with the same name items they had on the old character magically appear on the new character.

I was just thinking about writing a thread asking devs to allow characters to be able to unbind or switch to bta currently btc raid loot upon true reincarnation. Since there are going to be raid items you can no longer use on your next incarnation it seems to me that it would be better to be able to transfer these to another character that you have that could use them more then to let them sit in a bank or vendor them because you won't be needing them anymore on the reincarnated character. This would be better imo then having to farm them for each of your characters and allow more raid items to be put up for roll or be given to others instead of being hoarded for the future. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by jjflanigan View Post
    There have been cases where people have stated that if they delete a character and then re-create one with the same name items they had on the old character magically appear on the new character.
    I have done this before multiple times, and I can tell you for sure that non-bound items do not appear on the new character. Never tried it with bound items, but I see no reason to think that they would carry over either...you are officially DELETING the old character before you re-create him.
    b
    Think about it this way...let's say I have a character "Bob" with tons of good raid loot, and I decide to delete him for some reason, but not to re-create him...if his items pass over to a new "Bob", then the next person who happens to make a toon with the name of "Bob" on the same server would get a new toon with tons of free raid loot...not gonna happen.
    Yazston the Invoker, Nyyarlathotep, Thongo Stonesplitter, Stumpvvater Jack, Iaug Sothoth, Egostu Theman, Hastuur D'Rlyeh,
    Vehnison Deerslayer, Guendaril Kherras, Khaloss Meierson, Haestan Cloudreaver, Ygolonac
    Member of The Madborn

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    I was just thinking about writing a thread asking devs to allow characters to be able to unbind or switch to bta currently btc raid loot upon true reincarnation. Since there are going to be raid items you can no longer use on your next incarnation it seems to me that it would be better to be able to transfer these to another character that you have that could use them more then to let them sit in a bank or vendor them because you won't be needing them anymore on the reincarnated character. This would be better imo then having to farm them for each of your characters and allow more raid items to be put up for roll or be given to others instead of being hoarded for the future. Any thoughts?
    Interesting...seems to me that this would be exploited in some way, though how does not come to mind at the moment...

If they were going to do something like this, I would imagine it would probably be done through a store item...like an "Unbinder" that would change BTC items to BTA, or perhaps remove the binding altogether...probably for about 250 TP per item or somesuch...
    Yazston the Invoker, Nyyarlathotep, Thongo Stonesplitter, Stumpvvater Jack, Iaug Sothoth, Egostu Theman, Hastuur D'Rlyeh,
    Vehnison Deerslayer, Guendaril Kherras, Khaloss Meierson, Haestan Cloudreaver, Ygolonac
    Member of The Madborn

Thanks for the responses. Try to talk him out of it . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Yazston_the_Invoker View Post
    Interesting...seems to me that this would be exploited in some way, though how does not come to mind at the moment...

If they were going to do something like this, I would imagine it would probably be done through a store item...like an "Unbinder" that would change BTC items to BTA, or perhaps remove the binding altogether...probably for about 250 TP per item or somesuch...
    Yeah there is a way to exploit it which was why I switched the idea from being simply unbound to bta. If you were to be able to unbind it altogether you would start seeing alot of raid loot on the AH.

Community Member

I think the best implementation of that would be to switch the gear to bind on equip yet keeping it bound to account. Setting it as BTA is a bit too powerful. But BOE/BTA would let you switch it, but just once.

I have deleted characters before and re-created them with the same name, and the only remnant I noticed of their previous existence was the friends list.