Default Halfling Spellsword (12ftr/7wiz/1brd)

While reading over some posts about spellsword, I decided to make my own for fun.

Str 15 +5 level ups
    Dex 10
    Con 16
    Int 14
    Wis 08
    Cha 11

Halfling (The true Master Race)

1 bard, 7 wiz, then 12 ftr

Feats:

1. Least dm of healing
    2. Extend Spell
    3. Toghness
    6. Lesser dm of healing, Maximize Spell
    9. Power Attack, Greater dm of healing
    10. W. Focus (Greataxe)
    12. S. Focus UMD, W. specialization (Greataxe)
    14. Imp Critical (Greataxe)
    15. Empower Healing
    16. Stunning Bow
    18. Combat Reflexes, Imp trip
    20. Toughness

Is toughness a fighter bonus feat? I forgot.
    Would the 2hf line be better than stunning blow and imp trip?

It should rock on the lower levels, but will it be viable at end game?

Thank you for your input.
    Jyn... Kender... Thelanis

*Insert clever comment here*

Community Member

Warforged spellsword-like (warrior/arcane caster hybrid) chars are common. Works good. Fleshling versions are less good.

The difference is that WF is a bit more durable (better CON, immunities) and can have effective self-repair in combat (spellsword is part arcane caster). Fleshings don't have this.

If you ask me, for so called end game, then for Spellsword (warrior/ arcane caster) go WF, and if you don't want WF, then go with Warpriest-like build. Warrior/divine caster or melee oriented Bard.

Edit: No offense, but that build *is* basicaly a tipical Warchanter Bard.
    Last edited by Kriogen; 09-30-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Toughness is not a fighter feat.

If you can't get your Stun and Trip DCs high enough (I heard 40 is a good area), you'd probably be better off with the THF line.

Viable in the end game? Depends on how one defines the word, I guess. Just keep in mind that you won't be the one defining "viable" - it will be all the other people that you attempt to group with.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Build Constructionist unbongwah's Avatar

What exactly do you want out of this class combo? A bard splash adds UMD, but so would a rogue splash; and rogue 2 gets you Evasion as well. A single use of Inspire Courage is nigh-useless, IMHO. Wizard 7: OK, you can cast lvl 4 spells (hooray Stoneskin!) and get two metamagics - anything else? Bear in mind your spell durations will be fairly short and your DCs too low to make offensive magic useful.

The reason I did not go with melee-bard is because I am planning on making a half-orc virtuoso later on.

Quote:
    Warforged spellsword-like (warrior/arcane caster hybrid) chars are common. Works good. Fleshling versions are less good.
    The difference is that WF is a bit more durable (better CON, immunities) and can have effective self-repair in combat (spellsword is part arcane caster). Fleshings don't have this.

Halfling cunning/guile are strong, and Halflings have better saves. The way I have this built, I can self-heal and heal others very well without draining my already limited mana. I was also trying to 'think outside the box', and try to make a good spellsword that was not a WF. That and my guild is called 'Kender', so I try to make my builds Halfling when I can. Yes WF might be a little better, but not by much, and you just gotta love the greataxe swinging melee midgets lol.

Quote:
    What exactly do you want out of this class combo? A bard splash adds UMD, but so would a rogue splash; and rogue 2 gets you Evasion as well. A single use of Inspire Courage is nigh-useless, IMHO. Wizard 7: OK, you can cast lvl 4 spells (hooray Stoneskin!) and get two metamagics - anything else? Bear in mind your spell durations will be fairly short and your DCs too low to make offensive magic useful.

Once I decided on 12 fighter / 7 wizard, I did not have room for another 2 levels. Niether of my to main classes are Reflex based, and I do not have a high dex, so evasion would not be much help anyway. I chose bard over rogue for the extra spellpoints, ability to use all cure wands early, the possibility of maxing perform for 2 useful fascinates, and so I would not get the 'can you do traps' inquisition while trying to get into a group (I won't have the points for traps).

What do I expect to get? A survivable, self buffing, high dps warrior who can also fill the role of a backup healer and buffer. This is more of a concept build that I will play as an alt for fun. It might be good though. Only time will tell.

How many times can you take toughness btw?

Community Member

With the way ThF is working in update 7 you really might want to fit the 3 THF feats in there somewhere.

I'd suggest dropping a toughness feat, UMD focus, and emp healing.

You can take toughness as many times as you have feats available for it.

I may drop the stunning blow / imp trip feats for the 2hf feats. I definitely want at least one toughness for the fighter boosts, and mana free uber healing brings a lot to the table. Maybe I can drop sf umd for stunning blow, but I would like to have reliable scroll use by the time I hit the vale without having to sacrifice too many equipment slots.