Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
    Community Member

Never start with less than 16 CON on a melee character
    Weapon Finesse gives your to-hit to DEX, if you dump STR you will do ineffectual damage
    On a melee char, take Power Attack, but never turn it on. Your loss of to-hit will result in a loss of DPS. Taking Power Attack allows you to take other feats that don't suck.
    Play with the UI options. You will need to rapidly change hotbars at some point.
    Never use Drow for melee
    Never use Elves for melee
    Never use Elves
    Never multiclass unless you built your char to multiclass.
    Never max out any stat scores unless this is a multilife character or you're building a Wizard
    Just because INT is not a class ability doesn't mean you shouldn't take a point or two in it. INT determines the number of stat points you get per level.
    Your first quest pack should be Devil Assault. Run Chronoscope often, even if it gives no XP.
    Always sell the Vials of Pure Water. Never give them to Wash.
    Do Wizard before Sorceror.
    Always use Drow for Wizard.
    If you have the Greater Dragonmark of Finding (human feat only), let your party know. It takes time to buff the chests, and you will never buff it unless they know to wait for you to tell them it's ready.
    Marching order is important. Remember, you can walk backwards through your party members, but not enemies.
    You can solo Korthos, Harbor, and Marketplace quests. Don't think you can solo level 16 quests.
    Never shortman a raid, even if you're all level 19 and you're running low-level raids on normal.
    Never solo a raid, even a low-level raid on normal with a level 20 tank.

#1 how to read the map ( a quest to get to the mailbox would be a good one)
    #2 how to set up spells
    #3 examples of things that need to be hot barred to activate
    #4 hot to scribe scrolls
    #5 AH limits for free vs VIP
    #6 plat max structure
    #7 Where to buy spell items or add low level ones to a shop near where they come into the harbor from Korthos
    #8 Bilboards for shops. IE *Come to (shopname) for all your (class items) needs. Located (directions to the shop)

I could go on forever with a TON of stuff but to make it simple... have a GM stationed in the harbor for a month and watch the questions that get asked by new players and asked and asked. And while a month isnt really all that long and not nearly long enough, you will get a good idea. Then take some of those placards you have around that advertize quests and make them readable explaining all of the things people ask about ALOT. End the Korthos split up of players (sunny/snowy) and just make it so they can all party together if they have done the flagging quests like the rest of DDO. It would really help the older players group with the newer players to give them an idea of what's going on.

-> How to set up my hotbars;
    -> That bonus feats limit you in what you can choose;
    -> That scrolls are awesome;
    -> Where to buy my scrolls;
    Nerdrage/Endgame ~ Sarlona
    Ekkehart (human PM) - Hammet (WF AM) - Cerussite (helf THF kensei) - Anordineth (helf dark monk)
    Buy my stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by parvo View Post
    1 -- If it's not bugged it will be
    2 -- If it was bugged it will be again
    3 -- It will be bugged worse than last time
    Bugs that help players will be fixed quickly(ish). Bugs that hurt players will not.

Parvo's #2 does apply to bugs that help players, however. Keep a list...

Quote Originally Posted by PopeJual View Post
    Bugs that help players will be fixed quickly(ish). Bugs that hurt players will not.

Parvo's #2 does apply to bugs that help players, however. Keep a list...
    Indeed. I'm waiting for the day the unlimited Manyshot bug returns. That was an amazing time on my AA.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    as for voice actors I wanted Betty White for Lolth but I got voted down.
    Khyber: Alelric - Wiz 5 (Hero), Arayaleth - Ranger 20 AA (Champion), Altrocks - Cleric 20 Radiant Servant (Champion), Zinnix - Rogue 20 Assassin (Champion)

1) It is better to be good at one thing than bad at many things, especially if that one thing is "killing stuff".
    2) Use magic device is the best skill in the game, consider it before you put points into haggle.
    3) There's no such thing as a dex based build. Two weapon fighters use strength as their main stat.
    4) Don't underestimate the value of combat control and tactical attacks.
    5) Carry jump and haste pots in case you need to jump over a trap. They cost 5 and 75pp a pop, a lot cheaper than death.
    That which does not kill you gives you experience points.

(Fighter->Fighter->Fighter->Monk->Monk->Barbarian->Paladin->Ranger)

Default True value of money/Items

While depending largely on play-style and what you spend it on... I'd say the true value of items and plat.

I can't count the number of times I see things like +1 masterwork bow being spammed for an hour on the trade channel with a ridiculous price of even half what it's "base value" is.

This obviously comes with experience in the game too... but I myself spent a lot of time trying to sell my trash loot (that I thought was worth anything other than vendor trash) where that time could had been spent on learning more of the finer points of the game, and just having fun in general, rather than getting frustrated over why someone isn't taking advantage of a good thing.
    Orien Characters
    Kierkan - Bladeforged 12/6/2 Shiradi Favored Soul/Wizard/Monk| Dragonnbaito - Half-Elf Legendary Dreadnought 12 Monk/6 Paladin/2 Fighter

Quote Originally Posted by eden2760 View Post
    While depending largely on play-style and what you spend it on... I'd say the true value of items and plat.

I can't count the number of times I see things like +1 masterwork bow being spammed for an hour on the trade channel with a ridiculous price of even half what it's "base value" is.

This obviously comes with experience in the game too... but I myself spent a lot of time trying to sell my trash loot (that I thought was worth anything other than vendor trash) where that time could had been spent on learning more of the finer points of the game, and just having fun in general, rather than getting frustrated over why someone isn't taking advantage of a good thing.
    TL;DR version: The "base value" line on most objects is a lie. The most valuable items almost always list their "base value" at something like 10 GP, or have no "base value" listed at all.

That's a lesson that it can take a long time to learn because so many people do list stupid weapons and armors on the AH at low levels for ridiculous amounts of cash. Brokers are a good place to get equipped on your first life if you have no one helping you out while you learn the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    as for voice actors I wanted Betty White for Lolth but I got voted down.
    Khyber: Alelric - Wiz 5 (Hero), Arayaleth - Ranger 20 AA (Champion), Altrocks - Cleric 20 Radiant Servant (Champion), Zinnix - Rogue 20 Assassin (Champion)

Grinding 100 favor on each server gets you like a dollar an hour. Just throw 20 bucks into the game, save your time and you'll have a few nifty premium bonuses too.

Don't kite stuff on a ranged character, this only annoys your party. If you grab aggro when you shouldn't, take it to the tank and hold shift and hope for the best.

If you've never done a quest, say it up front. If you don't and screw us up, we will be much more annoyed, and we'll be fine warning you of anything special going on in a quest.

Lots of women play this game (although lots of men play female characters, don't mix them up), it's not that surprising to see one, and keep your d*ck in your pants when you do.

Also, no con isn't a dump stat, but unless your character only uses 2 stats, only put in 6 build points. The rest aren't worth it. Put it in the other stuff your class needs.
    Last edited by ZeebaNeighba; 07-12-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Community Member

Smile

put creative restraints on your game play to improve your finesse and tactics in game.
    like a Drow monk with 6 con who uses wind stance (effectively 4 con), no toughness feats, dont increase con.

After having a couple of discussions with some newbies in the last week the following probably needs to be said.

This is NOT Dungeons and Dragons. I say again this is NOT Dungeons and Dragons.

This is a Fantasy MMORPG set in the D&D universe but it largely uses it's own rules.

Think of is as a campaign where the homebrew rules come in a 3 volume set and they have torn about 40 pages from the "official" rules and added it as an addendum to the end of that 3rd volume.

Most of the multiclassing you are used to using just isn't going to work out for you here, it really really just isn't. That Cleric 10/Rogue 6/ Ftr 4 isn't going to be anyone's friend here I am affraid.

Most of the stat splits you are used to making probably isn't going to work out here. Mainly CON is not a dump stat. This really can't be said enough.

DPS is king and unless you bring it or support it (Hjeals, Buffs, and/or Crowd Control) you will quickly find that you aren't having a heck of a lot of fun as you can't solo well unless you are on casual and maybe normal and you aren't really contributing much of anything in a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin-ator View Post
    Never start with less than 16 CON on a melee character
    Weapon Finesse gives your to-hit to DEX, if you dump STR you will do ineffectual damage
    On a melee char, take Power Attack, but never turn it on. Your loss of to-hit will result in a loss of DPS. Taking Power Attack allows you to take other feats that don't suck.
    Play with the UI options. You will need to rapidly change hotbars at some point.
    Never use Drow for melee
    Never use Elves for melee
    Never use Elves
    Never multiclass unless you built your char to multiclass.
    Never max out any stat scores unless this is a multilife character or you're building a Wizard
    Just because INT is not a class ability doesn't mean you shouldn't take a point or two in it. INT determines the number of stat points you get per level.
    Your first quest pack should be Devil Assault. Run Chronoscope often, even if it gives no XP.
    Always sell the Vials of Pure Water. Never give them to Wash.
    Do Wizard before Sorceror.
    Always use Drow for Wizard.
    If you have the Greater Dragonmark of Finding (human feat only), let your party know. It takes time to buff the chests, and you will never buff it unless they know to wait for you to tell them it's ready.
    Marching order is important. Remember, you can walk backwards through your party members, but not enemies.
    You can solo Korthos, Harbor, and Marketplace quests. Don't think you can solo level 16 quests.
    Never shortman a raid, even if you're all level 19 and you're running low-level raids on normal.
    Never solo a raid, even a low-level raid on normal with a level 20 tank.
    How to solo a raid on a level 20 elf/drow melee.
    Milacias of Kyber

Leader of the Crimson Eagles Kyber

Community Member

k, got to about page 8, decided I wanted to go play the game instead of making sure this wasn't mentioned, but:

1) The difference between resist elements and protection from elements.
    2) The ability to separate stacks of items, or to buy more than one thing at a time.
    3) How to use the LFM panel, including creating your own LFM

oh yeah, and something about con... and heavy fort...

How to right click on a spell and select its metamagics.

Default Also...

You need at least 400hp to survive the level 18 and higher raids. This requires Con and Toughness. Know them, love them.

Have the highest fortification available for your level.

There are real females playing. Treat us like you want your mother/sister/wife/daughter treated, and you won't go far wrong.

Don't multiclass any toon until you have played both classes to level 20. You need that experience playing a pure toon first. You also need to know what you are giving up in terms of capstones.

Divines are capable of far more than standing at the back and healing. You are responsible for staying where you can be healed without being chased. You are also responsible for removing your own blindness, curses, poisons, diseases, stat damages. Keep a full line of potions. Including cure potions.
    Orien: Zizie, Zeelee, Zeeny, Zeety, Zeleste, Zeeby
    ?

Community Member

I would have saved my $65 and waited till DDO went free.

Community Member

Default If I only knew then...

As a newbie (in particular a soloing newbie) I wish I had known:

#1 - The usefulness of UMD
    #2 - How to use hot bars/what needs a hot bar
    #3 - How to use the environment to my advantage in a fight
    #4 - How to use bluff to pull one monster out of a mob
    #5 - The uselessness of TWF until you are at higher levels and have ITWF
    #6 - A cleric hireling is cheaper (and more effective) than a bunch of healing potions
    #7 - You don't need to Elite everything. Do the quest at the highest level can complete. Yes Elite is more XP, but if you wipe out you don't get any XP at all. Come back and try to Elite it again when you are a higher level.
    #8 - Dying isn't the end of the world (in-game anyway). It happens. Rest at a tavern, repair your stuff, and try again.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920