Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

1. Some sick fool a a developer put a trap on a collectible.

2. Some sick fool of a developer put a trap in a shrine.

3. Developers are sick fools, who are just out to try and kill us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeshaper View Post
    Now that's just crazy talk
    “It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire staining, the staining becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.”

1) Most any class can be built in a variety of ways. Any number of those builds can be valid as long as they can get along in game.

2) Multi-classing your character is tricky. You want to find synergies in classes to work with. For example, Monks and Clerics both value Wisdom as a stat. On the other hand, Fighter and Wizards are polar opposites in their stat needs, so mixing them will create a character that is a weak fighter and a weak wizard.

3) Multi-classing a caster class will weaken that character as a caster. Not only will he have fewer spell point and fewer spells, but the strength of his spells is directly related to his caster level (not overall level.) In addition, lower caster level means easier saves for enemies and weaker spell penetration.

4) Damage mitigation is extremely important. The easiest and most common way to do this is by maximizing your hit points. This is done by having a good CON. By finding and and wearing False Life items and CON items, and by acquiring certain items / goals (Minos Legens from the Orchard and second Tier Argo favor.) While it is never a good idea to have low HP, Damage Resistance is one other way of mitigating damage.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

1) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

2) Clerics are not your slaves! So help him keep you up. Gift him ressources, carry potions.

3) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

4) Same Boni types rearely stack! Dont use multiple Items which grant you an enhancementbonus.

5) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

6) If you charaktersheet says 17+3 does it NOT mean that you abilityscore is 20! You have a
    17 wich gives you a +3 Bonus to everything that uses this stat.

7) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

8) Dont invest skillpoints in Heal, Repair or Swim. they are wasted.

9) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

10) Drow arent a cool race. They are squishy and unsuited for most Characters.

11) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

12) Warforged are ugly as hell, but for most builds they are the strongest pick. They can be healed by both arcane and divine casters.

13) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

14) you cant avoid to get hit in higher level Quests. Get a Fortification Item, you healer will thank you!

15) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

16) dont be afraid to SAY or TYPe that you are new. Most people will change their type of normal play and at least give you a short explanation what is expected of you.

17) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

18) Rogues are a High damage dealing class. Yes they can do Traps. But that is NOT the reason why you want one in your group.

19) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

20) Group composition is not that Important. Most Quests in the game can be done without a Cleric or Favoured Soul.

21) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

22) If you die in a Quest, in 99% of the cases its your fault! Just because you have a Cleric of Favoured Soul in your group does not mean that you dont have to look at your red Bar!

23) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

24) If someone gives you advice, he doesnt do that to annoy you but to help you!

25) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

26) Armour class is not of much use once you get into the Gianthold. Only dedicated Ac builds which need an awful amount of Gear have a meaningful AC.

27) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

28) You preferred playstyle is not the preferred playstyle of all other persons. (Yes thats an advice for Vets also)

29) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

30) The predefined builds you can choose while creating your Character are garbadge. If you really want Information how to best build your toon, look into the Forums.

31) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

32) Yes it is entirely possible to build a charakter who is gimped beyond repair. DDO has a relatively open System to build your char. Ask yround before you build it so it doesnt ruin you fun later on. No, there is no real Respec mechanism in the game. Choose wisely.

33) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

34) No, just because you surivded most of the quests up to lv10 does NOT mean that your charakter is still effective later on. in fact the lower level area is much more forgiving then later areas.

35) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

36) Yes, Warforged are really the best race for any Arcane character.

36) No this game dont have any suitable PvP. Yes it has a brawling area. There you can find Players testing New Gear and spells or some people who havent read the first part of Number 36.

37) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

38) "I wont get hit" is NOT a suitable excuse for having only 200hp on your Drow Arcane on lv18+

39) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

40) Yes, it is a grind to get all the shiny stuff those Vets carry.

41) This is a game. You play a game to have fun. Your definition of fun may differ from other peoples Point of View.

42) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

43) Lesser Restoration. Remove Curse. Remove desease. Cure Serious Wounds. Remove Blindness. Do not forget these names. these are the Potions you have to carry with yourself as soon as possible. Yes i know, they are expensive in the beginning. But they are worth it.

And before i forget it:

45) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    I am no native english speaker

Other Toons: Siaphas, Kelderian, Kelras, Keldi, Kelmons

1. Guilds are a good thing, if you pick the correct one.

2. This is a game, enjoy it at your own pace and don't let others ruin that.

3. Stay with your party, stay in the healers sight. If you are the healer, get a mirror to aid in this.
    “It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire staining, the staining becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.”

#1 if you just want to goof around and learn the game mechanics, build your toon any way you please. Ftr/Clr/bard? Sure go for it. But dont fall in love with this toon. You will leave or delete it later. take this time to learn all you can about the game

#2 When you are ready to focus on making a good build, use all your resources to do this: DDO forums, ddo wiki, chats with other players, and server forums.

#3 Be a good team member. There are a number of good players that are horrid team members.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagone View Post
    Stay classy DDO
    "It's a strange world. Some people get rich and others eat **** and die" - Hunter S. Thompson

some more.

- Do not make a battle cleric. If people see a clerical icon, they're going to expect you to heal them.

- Do not make a rogue who can't disable the traps and/or open the locks. It's going to make people hate you.

- Do not make a generic bard. Such a character would be pretty worthless. Instead, research Spellsinger or War Chanter.
    Cannith:
    Brigette; Warlock12/Monk3(14th life) || Aoeryn; Wiz20(3rd life).

I guess a lot of people can't count
    Leader - Ωmega Syndicate [L41] guild of Khyber|Orien - www.os.rumbaar.net
    Khyber - Eldraine - Monk | Eldaline - Favored Soul | Eldnuker - Sorcerer
    █████ - Eldalorne - Wizard | Elarawr - Fighter | Eldrainge - Ranger/Rogue

1) The first 6 points you spend (AT A MINIMUM) MUST go into Con at character generation.

2) Wearing Heavy Fortification and carrying potions will not only make your adventuring life easier, it will endear you to the group you are with.

3) If you are new to a quest, for gods sake SPEAK UP and let the leader know. Nothing annoys group leaders more than having a new player not speak up or worse yet, start talking like they know what is going on when they haven't a clue.

BONUS!) Do not Waste your money in the DDO store for ANY starter gear as you will find more than enough as you adventure in game. +1 Weapons, +1 Armor can be found in almost ANY quest right from the start and it gets easier as you go along.
    I've met and chatted with both Dave Arneson and Gary Gygax.
    To both of you, I raise a glass in toast and say THANK YOU!
    There are other ways and OTHER FORUMS, PM Strakeln for details.
    Lackey, Pee-on and general No Good Doo-er of BANNED FROM ALL GUILDS!

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

1. Concerning spells. There are no ranged attacks you must roll on. Due to the active combat system, it is Line of Sight.

2. Do not expect to be able to roll up a Legolass type character in this game. For balance purposes, you get about 1/3rd the number of attacks that you would in pen and paper.

3. Gold is plentiful, and there is a lot of loot created that players consider "vendor trash". Sell it to them, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzie View Post
    1) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    3) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    5) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    7) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    9) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    11) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    13) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    15) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    17) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    19) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    21) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    23) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    25) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    27) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    29) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    31) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    33) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    35) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    37) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    39) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    42) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.
    45) Con is NOT a dumbstat! In Fact it is the second most important stat on most characters.

Seriously? You may have had some good points in there, but nobody was going to read through that much spam.

1) A Marine never said he had too many bullets for a battle, and a DDO player never said they had too many hit points for an encounter. (i.e. Con isn't a dump stat)

2) There is no quest, at any level, any place in DDO that you need a perfect party for. Doing a all (insert class here) quest can be some of the most fun you've ever had. Give it a try.

3) DDO Isn't every other MMO out there, learn to play this one. If every game were the same, why would you want to play it? Enjoy the play styles that DDO offers, and learn your DDO play style.

4) People on the forums, do not know it all. Learn from your fellow party members, guildies and from your own experiences.
    http://www.dkforums.com - Look Mom it's a Guild forum, can I have one too?

1. Read some of the forum build threads.
    2. If you aren't sure of what build to go for, ask.
    3. In DDO respeccing to correct an early mistake is a srsbzniss, and in large part a Turbine money spinner. It is NOT just an inconvenient necessity every now and again when you feel like a change, as with most if not all other MMOs. Now go re-read 1 &2
    4. If by now, you haven't learned that CON is not a dumpstat, read here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...97#post3302297
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    The best of the best DDO players generally overperform when given a real challenge

After reading the thread, I wasn't sure if anyone said this:

Con is not a dump stat.

Neither is greensteel(hp), toughness(feat), or toughness(item) or GFL on a rogue.

2. Rogue are DPS first.

3. It's rogue, not rouge.

1) Try to learn what you can about damage reduction against specific kinds of creatures. Pay attention to the combat log and don't be afraid to experiment with different weapons/spells/tactics in order to find something that works better. Other, more knowledgeable players are good resources for this.

2) Not all weapon effects are equally effective. Some look cool, but really aren't. You can learn some of this through experience, but again, other more knowledgeable players can inform you what effects are worthless/powerful.

3) Knowledge of the quests is half the battle for being more successful in the game. The rest is gear + skill. The first few times through, you will be confused and lost (especially in complicated quests/raids). Don't hesitate to indicate when you are new if grouping with others. Ask questions and read the wiki. Also, take advantage of casual/solo scaling to learn new quests.

1. Don't be afraid to admit it's your first time in a quest. Depending on who's group you're in, this can save you a lot of grief later, and make your pugging experience more enjoyable.

2. If you don't have sound and join a group, let them know first thing. It is annoying as hell to be giving out directions and never having them followed, then have to ask in chat and the guy says he has no sound.

3. Some parties are more demanding than others. If you see an LFM that says BYOH, know the quest, IP, and you have no clue what you're doing, do not join it. You will save yourself a lot of grief.

4. Candy canes are not sufficient for BYOH :P

5. DR is awesome
    700+ HP? 90+ AC? TWF DPS and Hate?
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=326756

For a sec there from the title I thought Tarrant was quitting. By the way in case no one mentioned it con is not a dump stat.

Community Member

If you plan to hit stuff with melee weapons, you need strength. Do not make a weapon finesse barbarian with 12 STR.

Quote Originally Posted by Orratti View Post
    For a sec there from the title I thought Tarrant was quitting. By the way in case no one mentioned it con is not a dump stat.
    Tarrant is not allowed to quit.

2014 DDO Players Council
    Community Member

When I got to 20 for the first time, got dragged into my first epic, and didn't have a UWA item, I threaded exactly this topic.

It's really REALLY bad the way new people are just *dumped* into this game and bombarded with information. It's appallingly laid out and fed to you. Really bad. Glad to hear that you are addressing this topic. I have a lot to say on it but can't see the point of getting lost in the masses above.

Let me see if I can find my original thread on this....

And frankly I think I would rather thread my own really detailed thread on *exactly* how I wish the information was fed to me for other people who think and approach things the way I do. Because again I suspect anything I say is going to get lost and ignored.

EDIT: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=224530
    haven't started that many threads.... i was in the process of massively rewriting this one... i think i will too. for my own satisfaction even if no one else cares.
    Last edited by MeliCat; 09-29-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    ~Thelanis ~ Khyber ~

Default just 2 more

1. Some stuff you hear is a myth

ie. 26) Armour class is not of much use once you get into the Gianthold. Only dedicated Ac builds which need an awful amount of Gear have a meaningful AC.

You can get a good enough AC in certain builds with reasonably easy to obtain gear at that level all the way up to the Vale. Also this AC almost invariably comes with DR which is helpful at all times. It may not coincide with high DPS but it does not preclude its use

2. Go Premium - spend 5 bucks get some points - buy some adventure packs (not gear) from the store. The best things you get is 3 more character slots AND unlimitted AH postings versus what you get as a sole P2P type. That alone is enough to justify the $5.
    gotta to kick at the darkness til it bleeds daylight - B. Cockburn
    Guild Leader - Order of the Silver Dragons
    Mains Darlao Completionist Toogor Wiz28 TR5 Also Listarn Shadar Kai Rogue 20/7 - WhiskyTango CL28 TR4 - Toongor Bd28 TR2 - Sooey Dwarf ConBarb28 Pusshy -WizMo 18/ 2/8+9 More

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast