Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast
    Community Member

1) Dispite PPls LOVE in WF, it's not nessasary for a Wizard. Can make a good build as a human. (I.E. Mine) (34 pnt build Human Palemaster 639hp>789 full buffs 44 Necro DC 43 Enchantment DC)
    2) If you "NEED" Guild Ship buffs, your gimmped
    3) Con is not a dump stat, But with most builds 3rd in imporatance.
    4) Always use a chrater buikder BEFORE you do a build, Saves you time and effort when actually building it in-game.
    5) Download the DDO Interactive Guide - It's the swiss army knife for DDO and containts 98% of everythng you need to look for, know, and keep track of.

6) Remeber it's just a game, not a life choice! RL comes first!

Hello new players, here are my tips:

1. With so many people recommending Warforged as an optimal class, I must disagree. Yes they have good constitution, they don't need to breath underwater, imune to poison, etc.. BUT, we are recommending new players what we know, and we do know that warforged is a race we can only obtain after play. A lot. Or be VIP and buy the access to the race. So, I say you pick your class and race you want. Nevermind what others say, if you like your character the way you created it, its all that matters.

2. Some say you don't need to know a quest when creating a group for it. I do recommend you do know the quest. Saves you a lot of bad criticism on not-so-party players. Or, if you don't know a quest and want to make a party for it, make everybody know that writing in the group details "I need a guide for this quest". That should shut up all of the pesky ones that always look for a thing to argue with.

3. This is only a game. Some people spend their entire life in here, doing reincarnations every week or so (TRing = True Reincarnating a character, its going back to lvl 1 when you reach lvl 20, to get an improved and stronger character from the start). There are some TR players who think they are all better than the whole world. Screw them Everybody must start from somewhere. Not all of course, I know of a few good and party players who have done reincarnations and are not bad for that. Just don't let veterans put you down just because you are fresh.

Cya all
    [Ghallanda]
    [Nemessi sorcerer][Helenya cleric][Riita cleric][Myrhea artificer][Shunrei monk][Sverlana rogue][Lillyannn paladin]

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by msdesign View Post
    3. This is only a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shanzookie View Post
    6) Remeber it's just a game, not a life choice! RL comes first!
    Very well put !

1. DPS (damage per second) is essential. Even if you sneak past most of the monsters in a quest (which, most of the time, you won't), you still need to kill the boss faster than he kills you.
    2. Hit points are essential. You can't help beat the quest when you're dead, and more hit points reduce the chances that you'll die when something goes wrong. Spec your build to have hit points, and get some means of self-healing between fights.
    3. Crowd control, upgraded healing magic, stealth, armor class-- these things let you get more mileage out of your damage and hit points (and I mean a LOT more mileage), but they don't actually replace items 1 and 2.

My first character was a bard focused almost entirely on support (buffing, crowd control, healing). Her DPS was lousy, and her hit points were so-so. I played her well, so I had no trouble getting into groups, but there was something frustrating about her total reliance on the rest of the team to do all the actual killing.

I later built a melee-specced bard. It had most of the same support abilities, but many build points were diverted to hit points and melee DPS. Finally, I understood the point of all those support abilities I carried: buffs, crowd control, and healing helped me on the front line, but they could never replace DPS or raw hit points that they augmented.

Community Member

1: Con is not a dump stat
    2: Con IS NOT a dump stat.
    3: If the Rogue says stop, you do so.
    4: Only one tank at a time.
    5: One pull at a time
    6: No Heavy Fort, no Healing.
    7: Raids will take as long as they need to, no more, no less.
    8: If this is your first time in Shroud, you must Click the 5th Portal.

Community Member

OK, I give... what does "CON is not a dump stat" mean?

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DynaBonk View Post
    OK, I give... what does "CON is not a dump stat" mean?
    It means you don't neglect it. Get con gear and put points into it.

Back in tabletop/pen and paper you could make viable character with a 6 or 8 con. Due to hit point and damage inflation of this game, doing so makes you a waste of space (as it were) as you won't be able to live long enough to make a difference in long fights.

Most advise a starting constitution value of 12.

Community Member

Got it. Thanks. My lvl 8 Wizard has con 17 and I just picked up a +3 con belt. So I should be good.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Most advise a starting constitution value of 12.
    Elves are advised to start with a 12, everyone else is advised to start with a 14, except WF/dorfs, who start with a 16
    Last edited by toapat; 04-05-2012 at 03:15 PM.

Default Check how your bonus stack

Been playing 6 months and just realised that my bonus's from items and buffs dont always stack. Check your items against your skills and statistics people!
    "i have of late, though wherefore i know not, lost all my mirth"

Mennion - Tallib - Hannse - Pathfinder Society on Cannith

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mennion View Post
    Been playing 6 months and just realised that my bonus's from items and buffs dont always stack. Check your items against your skills and statistics people!
    Yes. Plus, the new blueish information in the chat window is *great* help for resolving that !

It's imho one of the best ideas the devs had since i know the game !

Community Member

When playing a wizard, take the eternal wand (of whatever) as a reward when first offered. It will serve you for many levels to come and allow you to save spell points for the bosses/critical points.

Actually, it will even let you complete many quests without using a single spell point if used carefully.

-healing potions, cure poison, cure disease, lesser restore, remove curse pots are not optional, carrying them will help conserve the party/raid healers' sps.
    -Con is not a dump stat
    -Heavy Fort is not optional equipment
    -If your going to wear Madstone Boots, better have guild remove curse pots from House K.
    -If you don't have guild remove curse pots, take off the Madstone Boots.

Community Member

Default Newbie Assists: Manual

Been playing for a few months and I gotta say the new manual that comes with this beta is a TON better than the one I got several months ago to get a new player started.

However, it would be nice if it also listed "premium" races and classes as well. This would help a lot when deciding if its worth buying a drow or artificer for example. Also, some key information about DPS and saving throws would be great since the manual on online chatter references them but never says why having a high fortitude save would be good or what a high DPS does. It would also be nice if there was some instruction for wizards on how to inscribe a scroll. (I still haven't been able to get it to work. I found instructions online, but I seem to be missing a step or something.)

Finally, although some may question this... some general game play advice for those going solo vs finding and playing in a party would help. I've found that a lot of players seem clueless on how to act in a party and when going solo what are good strategies and quests to avoid (Still working on the strategies but so far getting killed a bunch = not for solo, puzzles that require more than you and a well trained hireling = not for solo... Having a "requires 3 or more players" on the quest start screen would help a lot. But I digress.) When playing in a party with a mage type toon it might be better to let the rogue/ranger scan for traps and lead the charge than you, even if you have find secret doors and disarm trap spells. Got killed on elite a few times because some speed demon looking for XP triggered two or three mobs by rushing ahead too quickly.

Community Member

Default If only I knew

If only I knew what the heck those little icons that show up in the right hand corner of my screen meant, some have countdown timers some don't but what do they mean to me? Are they important?

What does it mean when I hear a thumpish sound when some monster hits me?

How can you get a hireling to do stuff... like stand still or to get the heck out of the acid pool! or heal themselves or better yet me (sometimes they just watch you die and other times they don't, its a mystery).

Community Member

Default If I only knew: Shortcut Bars

How to use more than one shortcut bar effectively would have been great when I started (CTRL-1 or 4, then 5...) weapons on one feats on another, etc.; only found out about this by watching a walk-through... the person had at least 10 bars on the screen! Once I saw that I had an epiphany and have had two or three on my screen ever since.

Default TRs are not all amazing

I learned this after TRing, when I didn't instantly become better than 1st life artificers

Also, The newest class is typically the best
    (monk & fvs are good, artificer is better)

Community Member

-How to bind multiple hotbars to keyboard (1, alt1, ctrl 1, etc)
    -Multiclassing is not recommended on your first character
    -If your HP is going to be less than 200 at level 15, people probably won't group with you.
    -Guild airships are something that anyone in a party can be invited to, and they contain a large number of very useful buffs, including some elemental resistances that will make a difference between life and death when facing down a lighting-using Kobold Shaman at levels 3-5.

My first characters (got one up to level 11-12) a year or so ago had no clue what an airship was. I think that's probably why they died so much...

Quote Originally Posted by toapat View Post
    Elves are advised to start with a 12, everyone else is advised to start with a 14, except WF/dorfs, who start with a 16
    Since this thread may be viewed by brand new players - add two to the numbers in the above post... 14 or better. 12 cuts it too close on a brand newbie.

1 -- If it's not bugged it will be
    2 -- If it was bugged it will be again
    3 -- It will be bugged worse than last time
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast