Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast
    Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Understand that Maximizing one aspect of your character frequently comes at the cost of crippling another part of your character. Be aware of character weaknesses then build in additional strengths to help cover these weaknesses.

For instance, the recommended building option is to start with an 18 or 20 in your primary ability score. It costs a lot of points to do that. You character is going to have lower saves or hit points as a result .

Understand this result and build in extra features to minimize the effect of this lower survivability. Consider playing:

1. a class or multi-class that has inherently good saving throws. i.e. monk, paladin (and others)

2. a race that has bonuses to saving throws or constitution

3. a race and class that can spend action points in enhancements that increase your character's survivability.

4. a class that can self-heal. Healing others is great. Self-healing is super.

5. a class that has evasion. Taking reduced area effect damage in DDO is huge.

6. a character that can solo well-enough (with the help of a hireling) so you can earn gold by farming quests and explorer areas. You want to be able to buy lots of potions and scrolls and other resources to protect your character. Have a rich friend!

7. a character that can slay monsters while being beyond the reach of monster melee attacks.

You do not need to have a character that does ALL of the above in order to succeed in DDO.

Teamwork, game knowledge, and smart play is more important to success than character building. Practiced arcade-reflexes help a lot too.
    Last edited by winsom; 10-25-2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Nightshayde, Wiz 17 (Ghallanda), Kyonna, Dru 13, Irnaetha, Mnk 15, Drelzna Art11/Rog2, Aurelyn, Pal11/Ftr2, Eidoloni, Rog 16, Tymore, Sor 20 (Khyber)

Community Member

1) Grazing hits are not Glancing blows. Grazing hits are weapon base damage only without bonuses (but with penalties, if any).
    2) You need a very high AC for enemies to do grazing hits on you. Having mediocre AC means the enemies just hit you normally instead. The chance for enemies to grazing hit you increases with quest difficulty (as does their chance to hit you normally). AC only protects against normal hits.
    3) Damage Reduction protects you from grazing hits really well. Shields also reduce incoming grazing blow damage by a percentage (10% light shield, 25% heavy shield, 50% tower shield).

I hope that's all still up to date at least. Never read any sort of clue about that ingame..

4) Glancing blows are the area of effect part of twohanded weapons. They have a separate to-hit roll and are also applied against your main target (so even if you're fighting a single creature, glancing blows happen). Glancing blows deal a percentage of your weapon damage with bonuses. Weapon effects (such as flaming, paralyzing) are only rarely applied (the chance can be improved with feats and half-orcs get enhancements for same purpose as well) on glancing blows.
    Last edited by Tizian; 11-06-2011 at 11:47 PM.

1) Dwarves are an often under rated race, and the extra bump to health and fortitude saves makes them a solid choice for new players of most classes. Humans play every class well. Half-Elves can enjoy some of the advantages of multi-classing even in a pure class character. Every other race is worthwhile but may require a bit more planning to match them with the classes that take advantage of their unique abilities.

2) Get to know spells, it is easier to play a caster that can swap spells until you learn what spells you most enjoy. I would always suggest playing a wizard before rolling up your first sorcerer and I would suggest playing a cleric before trying Favored Soul.

3) DDO has some of the most robust character options I have seen in any MMO, plan your character in advance to take advantage of prestige abilities.

4) /a will talk to the advice channel in chat, this is a fantastic place to ask questions about quests or equipment.

5) A single small one time purchase of turbine points gives your account premium status, and enjoys quite a few advantages over someone who has only been free to play. (Is this still true? I couldn't find the benefits of premium listed on the site but I thought it was worth a few perks like more character slots.)
    Last edited by strath; 12-14-2011 at 07:50 AM.
    Poor grammar bad for you is, leads to the dark side it does.
    -Yoda's Book of Grammar This Is

Default :)

1) When multiclassing class splits are very important a 10/10 split is not really worth it.
    Again Multiclassing is tricky.

2) Do not True Reincarnate until you have aquired good enough gear to help you threw all the lvls of the game. Not just when you've hit 20 for the first time.

3) Game is free to play. It just requires much more time for you to be able to get everything.

4) Not all builds are viable threw out the whole game.*

5) When you know your build, the quests, and aquire the better gear almost every quest is soloable.

6) Aces over Kings will hit the altar at the end of shroud.

7) Have fun

8) Gear trumps stat points except in extreme cases.

*Discalimer unless its a Build from Star's current life he can run anything he wants.
    Kasik ~20 Rogue~ Fui 18/2 brb/ftr ~ Emmeryl 20 Clr Hilcias 20 Sorc
    Cool kids play on Mabar!

Community Member RedDragonScale's Avatar

Wow, 344 responses huh?

I don't suppose any of them said, "CON is not a dump stat!"?

mmmmmm.... necro-tastic.
    Bogenbroom's DDO Wishlist.......Tolero's guide to actionable feedback
    Bogenbroom's legion... 83 characters, 3 accounts, and 1 irate wife.

Community Member RedDragonScale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bogenbroom View Post
    mmmmmm.... necro-tastic.
    Not really.

Community Member

1: Chucking in precise shot feat just in case you need to use a ranged weapon is a waste

2: Drow are not as cool as claimed

3: Waiting for druids to be implemented is a hobby best abandoned.

4: Con at the expense of your prime requisite will gimp your toon regardless how many hps he ends up with

5: Heavy Fort item should not be in a regularly swopped out location, You will forget to rewear it normally just before boss fight.

6: Cannith Crafting is a all or nothing affair, you get nothing decent for mid lvls so unless your willing to grind your way to high lvls of skill dont even bother starting your better off with the plat to buy items off those that have got high lvl.

Community Member Alrik_Fassbauer's Avatar

A simply Newbie's advice (from myself, I still consider myself as a Newbie) :

Keep in mind what you read in the character creation screen ! Especially keep in mind what the character creation screens say about needed stats for the character !

And a very personal und very subjective advice from me : Health is always a good thing. The more health, the more likely you are going to survive. THerefore, I regard con as being needed.

But - nothing will save you if you put too much in con and too few points into other fields your character just *needs* to be effective (like cha or wiz or int for characters which are primarily magic users). Because no matter how much health you have - you WILL have to fight, too ...

Community Member

Ways to avoid damage are:

If you can sufficiently get your AC high enough will reduce physical hits but don't expect to do this with out applying all types of AC you can possibly have at your level, Armor, Insight, Resistance, Natural armor, wisdom bonuses or shields, Dex bonus, Dodge bonuses.

If you cant get your AC high enough reflex saves and evasion is also very important.

Other ways of avoiding damage are, blurr or displacement, concealment (solid fog, blind ect), and incaporeality. The only 2 ways I know of getting incaporeality misses are monk dark, and necro pale masters. Nothing works except incaporeality on bosses that have true seeing. Not all bosses have true seeing. Not sure if any end bosses have ghost touch.

Another great way of avoiding damage is running speed and kiting (staying just out of their attack range). Some people talk this down but it can save you a ton of damage.

Damage resistance from the elements in the form of ranger past lives, ranger resistances or rogue resistances, monk monky path, and ship buffs/resistance and protection spells can save you a ton of damage as well.

Invunerability items early on in the game is especcially usefull. Make use of them. DR in other forms are nice to have but don't always stack. DR of a proper type can save you a ton of damage in the long run.

You can get elemental and damage dr if you get the right items.

The equipment your character wears and his enhancement choices makes a large part of how your character will perform. This however takes time but the game is doable with basic available gear.

AH can be your friend if you are patient and know a good deal when you see one. Same for selling stuff compared to dumping it at the bar tender. But remember the Auction House will take 30% of the value of any items you sell. So selling in trade you can offer at lower prices and get the same deal.

A few venders in certain houses will buy items from you for more than most venders.

A charisma item and a hagling item can be well worth their cost if you remember to swap to them when you sell stuff.
    Last edited by DustTheWind; 01-28-2012 at 09:31 PM.

1) Almost any low level toon (1-6) should go THF, especially casters (master's touch and just a few points in str will do the trick)

2) Don't rush, don't pull levelrs, don't open stuff in quests you don't know when in a party. Rely on your allies' experience for that, and learn. Actually common sense but still worth saying I guess. I see a lot of newbies dying in very stupid ways, nothing to do with them being new to the game, more about the player behind the toon. Some will even get mad at you if you point out how idiotic their demise was...crazy world XD

3) Potions indeed are helpful. So are wands (cure moderate) if you can use them. They give you emergency heals when you need them, and they are NOT too expensive, you'll have a lot of plat later on.
    Cannith - Juzam, Water Savant II Ranger 6 Monk 2 AA/ Orocarn, Stalwart Defender III Monk 2 / Taigongwanng, Sorc TRing - Guardiani di Eberron

I did not read the entire thread and from what I saw every thing I could think of was covered already except one thing. Running out of components for an important spell mid quest is terrible, but most have had it happen at some point. Place a hot bar somewhere out of the way on your monitor and place your components on it that way it is always visible to you making them easier to see so you can get them refilled before it happens at the worst possible time.
    Last edited by Gawdzilla; 01-29-2012 at 05:08 AM.

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
    I Place a hot bar somewhere out of the way on your monitor and place your components on it that way it is always visible to you making them easier to see so you can get them refilled before it happens at the worst possible time.
    That is a nice tip.

Several times I have ran out of 3rd and 4th level components. They get used up very fast.

It is really bad when I am expecting a Haste, Displacement or Wall of Fire and I get nothing...

I have twice witnessed clerics that could not raise dead because they were out of components and scrolls.
    Nightshayde, Wiz 17 (Ghallanda), Kyonna, Dru 13, Irnaetha, Mnk 15, Drelzna Art11/Rog2, Aurelyn, Pal11/Ftr2, Eidoloni, Rog 16, Tymore, Sor 20 (Khyber)

Community Member

If only I knew then that the large ingredients I gave to my friends and guildies 'cos I didn't want to craft anything at the time ...were gone forever!

or for that matter, that they were gonna be used to make constitution-enhancing weapons, I mean, that's adding insult to injury, isn't it?
    "It's ok Anna, no one will have to know!"

there is no pause button

The number of crafting systems in the game will eventually make your head explode.
    I'm piking at work.
    I disarm traps........with my face!

When on the forums, always look at the date on the original post so that you make sure you aren't responding to some thread that is nearly two years old. D'oh!

1. CON is not a Dump Stat.

2. If someone runs ahead and dies it is their fault, dont rush in to save them, you are not a lemming.

3. Expect to be self sufficient and visit potion vendors..stock up on cure,poison removal, disease,curse pots

4. hirlings are as helpful as 4 year olds.. don't let them do anything on their own.

5. loot everything that is not bound from the chest, check the auction house and compare values.
    If it is Named and you don't know what to do with it, keep it and get advice from more than 1 person.
    Many a poor soul has sold or given a named item like a Ioun Stone or bloodstone for less than its realized value.

6. When you get your bags from Mari, open the bag and check the collect automatically checkbox.
    Get every collectible and bag that drops, collect them all... eventually you will know what to do with them.

7. There is a lock icon for all the items in your inventory, remember to lock everything you want to keep.

8. When you level remeber to upgrade your enhancements but first on your stats page open the enhancements tab
    and check "show unavailable" and look at all your future poteontial options and what you need to unlock them.
    Until the tree system comes out you will want to see what you need to get to open up what you want.

9. WWW.DDOWIKI.com is your friend and a useful tool, use it often.

10. If it looks like a trap or a ambush it probably is.

11. Don't randomly interact with yellow named mobs in a quest or open doors if someone else is leading the group
    and you don't know the quest, there is probably a reason that hasn't been done yet. ask first. It usually leads
    to bad things.

11. Take everything from the forums like you take advice from a drunk neighbor, some of it is usefull and some is ....

Many posters have opinions, but your choices are your own, build what you want how you want, it is a game and we play to have fun... and really, whats the worst that can happen..ding...The best experiences come from failure.
    Jotmon - Let's not forget why we play these games - to have fun - ~
    Guild: Degenerate Matter - 200 (Former Guilds: ChaosKnights, Big Damn Heroes, Shadowfiends, Order of the Drow, Unusual Suspects, Raided R)
    Argo-Jotmon(HC 28/42,EC 26/36,IC 12/12), Jotmonheals(Clr17/Rog2/Mnk1-EC 32/36), Whatthetruck(Raid farmer-2nd life).. and many many more alts..

Update 24: Champions... "whew, it's ok, it's only a red name" .. sad day when trash spawn Champions and their one-shot ignore fort attacks instill more party fear than the Red named bosses.

Though DPS(Damage per second) is the name of the game, skills can save your character as well as potions and scrolls. Bluff to allow rogue sneak attack, Diplomacy to get mobs to stop attacking you, and UMD for scrolls, wands, and specialty weapons use( alignment, racial, caster restrictions). Use the highest plus haggle item you find to increase the sale of items to vendors and pawnshops.

Always carry healing(repair) pots, curative pots like restoration, blindness removal, neutralize poison, paralysis, rage, and haste pots.

Default On rogues...

1. While anyone with a splash of rogue can get many of the locks, traps, etc. in the game, unless they are a Monk or some other class with Evasion and a high reflex save, there are some traps they aren't going to get. This is because rogues get to save versus traps with all sorts of trap save bonuses and pack on Evasion (later Improved Evasion) so, by level 10 or so, a rogue can literally stand in the trap and disarm it without getting interrupted. Additionally, he/she can boost her skills to find and disable by several levels...

2. While rogues are often DPS, another use is the use/abuse of sneaking and bluff skills to let you take on those enemies one-at-a-time at a location of your choosing instead of general melee where you're mobbed. Takes patience and zergers never have it, but a rogue and a hireling can often solo areas with large groups of enemies this way.

3. Ranged does lose power compared to melee. However, a rogue mechanic's Evasion, sneak attack damage, and an INT mod damage boost to light repeaters does wonders at taking out enemy casters that often don't have that many hit points. Evasion and a high reflex save, plus the bonuses you often have in WIS-gear (for spotting) usually mean, if you do get the caster's aggro, you often don't hold it for long... As long as a rogue mech is in sneak attack range, they still get sneak attack damage with crossbows. Rogues often make great caster killers.

4. Listen--while of less use than Spot most of the time--has a side benefit of working around corners and through "concealment" from terrain. It pops the enemy into your viewing orb which lets you target and kill it anyway. It also lets you detect enemies that Spot misses and vice versa. Consider its use if you have the skill points.

5. Rogues--like wizards--are adaptive characters if built well. They can solo, they can trap, they can do damage, they can backstop other types with UMD in some situations depending on the situation and the build. At the very least, be able to manage the traps in your level...

6. To go with #3, if your party lets you, consider sneaking past the first mobs before an attack and parking next to the enemy casters. Once you get a lock on them, it give you the chance to sneak attack the casters as the melee's attack, often while the enemy casters are trying to self-buff. A ranged rogue can be farther away, an assassin needs to be closer. Either way, dead casters makes life easier for the tank and healers...
    Last edited by Todkaninchen; 02-29-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast