Default Ranger 6 Question

I'm working on a new build that is going to have a ranger 6 splash. Would it be worth it to try to fit in improved crit ranged? That would be nice if I needed to use a silver bow, but I can't imagine that coming up often. I could see me possibly using a paralyzing bow soloing, but I wouldn't need improved crit for that.

Community Member

I wouldn't recommend TRYING to fit it in...but if you happen to have one extra feat left over and you can't take another toughness (like a fighter bonus feat), then sure, take it...I do wish I had ic:ranged on my 12/6/2 barb/rgr/rog but then again, I wish I just had more feats in general...and ic:ranged would be about 4th on the list

Quote Originally Posted by kinar View Post
    I wouldn't recommend TRYING to fit it in...but if you happen to have one extra feat left over and you can't take another toughness (like a fighter bonus feat), then sure, take it...I do wish I had ic:ranged on my 12/6/2 barb/rgr/rog but then again, I wish I just had more feats in general...and ic:ranged would be about 4th on the list
    So what's the first 3 on that list? Lol

What are the other 14 levels going to be?

The decision really depends on how many feats you are going to have available and what your other plans are for the character. If you will be shooting a lot of the time then IC: ranged is consistent with the build plan. And, in that sense it would make sense to try to fit the feat into the build.

OTOH, if you will not be shooting a lot or if your other classes don't give you a lot of feats to work with then IC: ranged probably doesn't make as much sense.

W/o more info it is hard to give meaningful advice. However, I'll assume that you have the feat to use and that it is an issue of choosing from 2 or more options. IMO you should look at the primary focus of the build and take whatever feat gives the most support. If you do that it seems unlikely that IC: ranged is going to rise to the top. If it does then you know to select it.

If it is a very near thing between 2 specific feats that both would significantly help the build then we'll need more information in order to really debate pros and cons.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    What are the other 14 levels going to be?

The decision really depends on how many feats you are going to have available and what your other plans are for the character. If you will be shooting a lot of the time then IC: ranged is consistent with the build plan. And, in that sense it would make sense to try to fit the feat into the build.

OTOH, if you will not be shooting a lot or if your other classes don't give you a lot of feats to work with then IC: ranged probably doesn't make as much sense.

W/o more info it is hard to give meaningful advice. However, I'll assume that you have the feat to use and that it is an issue of choosing from 2 or more options. IMO you should look at the primary focus of the build and take whatever feat gives the most support. If you do that it seems unlikely that IC: ranged is going to rise to the top. If it does then you know to select it.

If it is a very near thing between 2 specific feats that both would significantly help the build then we'll need more information in order to really debate pros and cons.
    The build is an elven 12ftr/6rng/2brb with thf and twf slashing. I fit imp crit ranged into a spot that I couldn't take any higher slashing focus or specialization feats. I could have taken quickdraw or stunning blow sooner, but I can always swap a feat if I don't like it. The only other thing I probably could have taken was cleave and I really don't have the room for it in my toolbar! lol
    Last edited by Sani_Medicor; 09-28-2010 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sani_Medicor View Post
    The build is an elven 14ftr/6rng/2brb
    I'm interesting know how you're going to get to level 22 to make this toon
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
    Hi welcome!

(I wonder if I'll get banned for this?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mangloid View Post
    I'm interesting know how you're going to get to level 22 to make this toon
    They sell it in the ddo store. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sani_Medicor View Post
    The build is an elven 12ftr/6rng/2brb with thf and twf slashing. I fit imp crit ranged into a spot that I couldn't take any higher slashing focus or specialization feats. I could have taken quickdraw or stunning blow sooner, but I can always swap a feat if I don't like it. The only other thing I probably could have taken was cleave and I really don't have the room for it in my toolbar! lol
    In your situation I'm not sure that there is a more useful feat for you. IMO if you have the feats for stunning blow and quickdraw and already have power attack and the full line of THF & TWF feats shoehorned into the build then IC: ranged makes as much sense as any other feat.

I'll presume with 6 ranger levels you are taking Tempest I and that with 12 fighter levels you are taking Kensai and I will be confused as to why you took both THF and TWF feat lines. But, that is certainly your choice within the build so my being confused doesn't mean that you need to explain.

OTOH, if you do not take the Tempest I enhancement then you save 3 feats that you probably would not take on the build. Freeing up those 3 feats gives some added flexibility to the build. That makes some sense to me.

In my rough guess at what the build would take for feats this is the only way that I could envision you having spare feats.

Quote Originally Posted by Therigar View Post
    OTOH, if you do not take the Tempest I enhancement then you save 3 feats that you probably would not take on the build. Freeing up those 3 feats gives some added flexibility to the build. That makes some sense to me.

In my rough guess at what the build would take for feats this is the only way that I could envision you having spare feats.
    Yeah...I didn't feel like tempest I was worth 3 feats. I plan on fighting with a falchion most of the time anyway. I'll just swap to twf scimitars when I want multiple effects like para/vorpal.