Default Targetting NPCs mid-combat, hotkeys?

I'm having a huge problem with the quest The Last Stand. I'm a solo clonk, so I imagine if I had a party it wouldn't be such a big deal. My own survival is not an issue, but rather, the NPC keeps dying on me.

I've even tried hiring an NPC cleric of my lvl (Flower) and ordering him to protect the NPC... but that doesn't seem to help much, if at all.

If I could just target him with a hot key, ala targetting a fellow party member, I think this would be no problem. But I just can't heal him easily enough mid combat. If I keep my target on him while fighting, I eventually have to release it in order to heal myself. And once I do that, I can't seem to reaquire him in the heat of battle. I've tried tabbing through targets, but that only seems to get enemies. I've tried clicking him with the mouse, but with the tons of bad guys running around, I've been unable to do that in a timely fashion.

Is there some way I'm missing? Or do I just need to do this quest on casual for now so I can do the other quests in the series (I already did one other, and it wasn't too hard).

I must have tried this half a dozen times now... and he tends to die around the same time with or without the follower. (I fend off the first wave. Then I leave him to beat the stragglers in the town. Then I come back and near the end of the second wave he gets bucked. I think once he survived to the third wave, I fully healed him, and he got bucked pretty quickly during that wave.) I think if he'd just stop throwing those area-affect attacks he wouldn't get so much aggro.....

I'm also thinking that with no follower is easier due to scaling. When I tell the hireling to protect him, he doesn't seem to heal him much. I could tell him to heal... but again, I'd have to target the NPC....

I believe the default key for selecting an object/NPC is Q.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhaz1970
    Welcome to D&D (or D&D based in DDO's case) where players have spent the last 34 years rolling characters that they want to play, that fit what they think is fun, or their idea of a heroic fantasy character...
    Orien: Sevalia|Cugel|Fedor|Blastomatic

key mapping select nesarest interactable and select nearest monstar are different take all auto targets Off there is like 600 of those

Hmmm... if I can find a "select interactable" and an NPC is one of those... I could work with that...

Q won't work, as I've hotkey'ed that away. I'm changed many many keyboard mappings....

Well, that was key, I was able to pull it off. It did take a few tries though... I failed once because I was waiting until he was really low to US him, and I screwed up, and once more because I didn't realize that US doesn't regen when you hit a rest shrine (rather key...). Plus... once more because I'm just that noobish.

But the fourth one stood... er... the fourth try (not counting the numerous flailing tries where I couldn't target him) worked.

Junk reward, but at least now I can go and finish this series.