Community Member

Default Archmage vs. Pale master

I know Archmage has not been thoroughly tested yet but at least on paper it looks quite promising. Also a lot of nice changes to make fail master fail a lot less horribly. So what are your opinions on these two prestige classes. The way I see it:

Pale master:
    Can stay in the undead form and have some self healing and deathblock and 100% without needing to use items for it. The undead forms are quite nice. Necro touch and bolt are kind of meh. +2 DC to Necro spell DC is nice for wail and FOD.

Archmage:
    At will spells look very sweet and ability to spam some spells looks very cool. I mean you can spam enhanced, maximised, empowered, critting magic missiles like 1500 x between rests. (if you got nothin better to do )

Community Member

In DDO spells are only good if boosted by meta-magic feats.

Best part in archmage is a dc boost for the school you've specced imo.

:: [ Air Savant - Level 160 ] ::

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kriogen View Post
    In DDO spells are only good if boosted by meta-magic feats.
    Archmage at will spells are currently boostable by meta-magic feats. For free.

Community Member

Pale master 3 now has a new spell like ability added to it. Its called Necrotic Blast it deal 1d6/caster level negative energy in a blast area like fireball and has a fortitude save for half damage, with a 3 second cool down. so in boss fights you can easily be in lich form with your aura going and never lose hp even if you are spamming every 1.5 seconds either a bolt or blast.

My level 20 pale master was landing saved damage against this for 60-80 and failed saves 120+. Criticals were landing for 200+.

Obviously I am a bit biased in my opinion here but I will say this, Pale master is great for non-WF casters to self heal and have all around good DC's. Archmage in my opinion if you take the minimalist approach to it offers a lot to wf casters namely 400 sp but if you sink 150 of that into the arcane bolt and blast you do get some more long term sustainable spells damage.
    Last edited by Arsengio; 09-24-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Community Member

Default ...

Well, I always said if the pale master forms became toggles it might make me TR into a non WF Wizard. It looks like it actually happened! I think my TR #2 might actually be a human pale master! Even when my WF was a pale master the healing was perfectly fine and saved me quite a bit of sp and money since I used far less reconstruct spells/scrolls.

I am honestly not all that impressed with Archmage. I mean some look decent, but some just look horrible. I mean seriously, we have to take stone to flesh? One of the most worthless spells in DDO. We have to take grease, which I doubt will work with heighten which means it will be worthless. (PLEASE make this work with heighten!) Then it will be "most likely" the best CC spell in the game!

We are also forced to take mental toughness? Seriously? That is very lame imo and they should allow arcane initiate to substitute for this if we are a TR.

I do see a lot of good having cheap invis/blur/displacement since I use those spells ALL the time, but to do this I need to get SF Illusion/GSF Illusion? No thank you! (If I am mistaken and I can do this with ANY SF or ANY GSF then it would be very nice! I might have misread?)

I am definitely going to try AM though. I mean it is easy to pre judge something, like a movie for instance when you hear how everyone thought it sucked. Then you go see it and think it is amazing. I just think it needs some tweaking from the notes though!

I think the basic idea behind AM is to focus on one school, with decent strength into a second, not to pick up every single one. With some of those spell selections though, I personally think most will be focused in Evocation and one of the Buffing paths. Even with spells that you consider useless, adding in +2 DC is helpful.

It may not be the greatest but I fully intend on specing into it. I love the idea of being able to throw out some arcane damage without blowing my mana apart or wanding all afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsengio View Post
    Pale master 3 now has a new spell like ability added to it. Its called Necrotic Blast it deal 1d6/caster level negative energy in a blast area like fireball and has a fortitude save for half damage, with a 3 second cool down. so in boss fights you can easily be in lich form with your aura going and never lose hp even if you are spamming every 1.5 seconds either a bolt or blast.

My level 20 pale master was landing saved damage against this for 60-80 and failed saves 120+. Criticals were landing for 200+.

Obviously I am a bit biased in my opinion here but I will say this, Pale master is great for non-WF casters to self heal and have all around good DC's. Archmage in my opinion if you take the minimalist approach to it offers a lot to wf casters namely 400 sp but if you sink 150 of that into the arcane bolt and blast you do get some more long term sustainable spells damage.
    Pale Master had just come out when I TRed my wizard, and since I really don't want to play a WF wizard like everyone else, I reincarnated into another class. Now that the forms are indefinite and with the introduction of Archmage, I might be willing to try again. I do have a question concerning their Prestige spell abilities, such as Necrotic Blast and Arcane Blast. Pale Master concentrates on Necromancy spells, and I was wondering about the effect of Epic Death Ward. It seems like the feats placed in Spell Focus would be wasted in Epic since it has such a high need for Mass Hold and such. Would necrotic bolt do anything to the mobs with epic ward?

I like Pale Master for non-WF Wizards. Especially with the new toggle forms.

For WF Wizards I like a minimalist Archmage, essentially just using the PrE for extra SP and (more importantly) a DC boost. I'm also not forced to spec Necromancy.
    Last edited by yams; 09-26-2010 at 09:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alhaz1970
    Welcome to D&D (or D&D based in DDO's case) where players have spent the last 34 years rolling characters that they want to play, that fit what they think is fun, or their idea of a heroic fantasy character...
    Orien: Sevalia|Cugel|Fedor|Blastomatic