Default half-orc 18/2 Kensai/monk

Here we go with the half-orc builds......

The Monkinator?

I posted a while ago about multiclassing monk with a number of things and upon researching I found that I really wanted to find a way to synergize Kensai with monk, with the half-orc coming out it looks even more viable now.

The plan: TR - past life monk + fire stance + improved power attack enhancements + Kensai/power surge + weapon spec feats/enh + cheap strength = lots of unarmed damage

starting stats might look like (I think that equals 34 on half-orc):

18 str
    15 dex (+2 dex tome used later)
    14 con
    6 int
    14 wis
    6 char

I would display the Char Generator output but some the half-orc enhancements are key to this build so showing it would really only be good for feats.

Besides the above this build features

stunning fist + stunning blow plus Kensai and 3 of 4 levels of fighter DC increases
    toughness X3: total base hitpoints 364 at 20
    full weapon specialization and weapon focus feats/enhancements
    30% Haste boost
    patient tortoise
    Precision feat (might be situationally useful now with update)

Level Class Feats
    1 monk TWF, stunning fist
    2 monk power attack
    3 fighter Past life: monk, WF: bludgeoning
    4 fighter toughness
    5 fighter
    6 fighter toughness, WS: bludgeoning
    7 fighter
    8 fighter ITWF
    9 fighter IC: bludgeoning
    10 fighter GWF: bludgeoning
    11 fighter
    12 fighter stunning blow, GTWF
    13 fighter
    14 fighter GWS: bludgeoning
    15 fighter quickdraw
    16 fighter toughness
    17 fighter
    18 fighter toughness, superior weapon focus
    19 fighter
    20 fighter toughness

My main question was whether to go one level ranger instead of two monk - 1 AC, evasion, feat vs. FE and wand use.
    Last edited by fool101; 09-23-2010 at 07:58 PM.

Community Member

Consider 12/8 or 12/7/1 instead. This probably brings more to the build than 18 levels of fighter does.

why dodge, mobility, spring attack?
    Levistis, Orcys, and Thirzax of the Dragon Blood Cult of Maguuma, GW2.

Why do so many people put dodge, mobility, spring attack in fighter builds?

The only, only reason to take those three feats is requirements for Tempest.

Instead of those three, go Stunning Blow, Quickdraw (fighter boosts), and another Toughness.

I would even dump Wis and Stunning Fist, in favor of more Con and even another Toughness.
    F O E C L E A V E R

took out that line of feats now and put quickdraw and toughnesses in place of them - for a total of 5 toughness feats; seems excessive but then again hps shouldn't ever be a problem even with 14 con starting

Pure Fighter

10% double strike
    Khopesh - 1d10 base 16-20 crit range (imp crit / kensai III) x3 multiplier
    Min II / light II etc

1 more feat over pure fighter
    1d6 ki attacks, 4 dam earth attacks, 1d4 void
    unarmed strike at 1d6 base 18-20 crit range (imp crit / kensai III) x2 multiplier
    holy burst / shocking burst rings
    +2 str fire stance

Dps wise i think the extra crit range and multiplier AND the 10% doublestrike will have the khopesh kicking the snot out of the monk splash. That being said however, evasion is nice in certain situations and i can see accepting a dps loss for it. question is though.

why not keep the 2 monk levels for the extra feat and evasion and still use the khopesh?
    I am roleplaying. My toons are zergers.

Community Member

Actually, since he planned for a past life Monk his unarmed base is 1d8. He could choose to go earth stance + fens bracers for base 1d10.

That said the base damage of unarmed attacks is not the point at all. With such a high STR it is the fact that offhand attacks get FULL STR bonus instead of half and the inherrant approximately 12% faster speed of unarmed via flurry of blows that matters. These are massive bonuses to unarmed attacks that you failed to mention in your comparison.

For all intents and purposes of this build, ignore the base damage and ignore the special attack damage.
    Last edited by richieelias27; 09-26-2010 at 11:55 AM.

Community Member

With only 2 levels in monk your unarmed damage won't be substantial. Consider picking up Whirling Steel Strike and dual wielding longswords.

Quote Originally Posted by tjaysteno View Post
    With only 2 levels in monk your unarmed damage won't be substantial. Consider picking up Whirling Steel Strike and dual wielding longswords.
    Provide some evidence that you're not suggesting he just wastes a feat?

With 'only' 2 levels in monk he'll do more damage by far than dual longswords unless his strength ends under 18. (and even then he'll probably do more damage with the fists)