Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Magic Missile, Missing Some Useful Features?

    When I'm playing in game as a caster or with a caster (sorcerer and wizard obviously) I almost "always" hear some complaint against Magic Missile. To be honest, I don't dislike Magic Missile, but I do think it's missing some of the better features it has in the Forgotten Realms, and PnP.

    First off let me make one thing clear, I do NOT want the damage affected. 1d4+1 per missile is set out in "every" version I've read so far and I'd rather not make an overpowered Magic Missile Spell.

    Anyway here's what I think magic missile should do when a player casts it:

    *A party is fighting a mass of oozes in the sewers the targetted ooze has 2 other oozes adjacent to it
    1. Level 9 player casts Magic Missile at a targetted ooze with a little hp left.
    2. First missile hits the ooze inflicting 5 damage
    3. Second missile hits the ooze inflicting 3 damage, ooze dies
    4. One of the adjacent oozes is randomly chosen by the spell
    5. Two of the missiles hit that ooze and it dies
    6. There are no adjacent enemies to that ooze, the last missile is wasted

    So basically if one enemy is killed before all the missiles are used up, they target another enemy. I don't think this suggestion deviates too far from the PnP version or overpowers Magic Missile, just adds a new feature to a spell that really isn't as good as some of the other evocation spells (niac's cold ray can hit for 20 damage at level 2 and burning hands basically has the limit of range to the number of targets it can hit)

  2. #2
    Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    work....
    Posts
    30,347

    Default

    The idea has merit, but what if you ONLY want to target that singular one? That is one of the strong points of the current implementation.

  3. #3
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrescentCalling_5 View Post
    So basically if one enemy is killed before all the missiles are used up, they target another enemy.
    Partially wasting some MM shots due to overkill is a really negligible concern. If the monster was so, so, so very weak that it takes less than one MM spell to kill it... why bother using any spell on it? Who cares?

  4. #4
    Community Member Ganolyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    On A Sailing Ship To Nowhere, Leaving Anyplace...
    Posts
    2,344

    Default

    If I were to change anything it would be the non-linear route they take to their target. It takes too much time and adds nothing to the spell.
    Anál nathrach
    orth’ bháis’s bethad
    do chél dénmha

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    The idea has merit, but what if you ONLY want to target that singular one? That is one of the strong points of the current implementation.
    True, in PnP version you get to choose whether Magic Missile targets one or a maximum of 5 enemies, so maybe make it work like the Resist Energy spell? You choose during casting whether all missiles will only target a single enemy or they will target more than one.

  6. #6
    Founder Nerate_Mireth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    The Vale of Twilight
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrescentCalling_5 View Post
    True, in PnP version you get to choose whether Magic Missile targets one or a maximum of 5 enemies, so maybe make it work like the Resist Energy spell? You choose during casting whether all missiles will only target a single enemy or they will target more than one.
    Wait...we can make the resist spells target multiple people now? Since when did this happen? Must have been that stealth patch last night.
    The Misfit Toys
    Nerate, Tarene, Lupina, Satina, Throckmorton, Dramain, Yarka, Unka, Cryptstalker, Scurd, Steadyhanded, Zonaari

    Armor Dye Kits?

  7. #7
    Community Member jcTharin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    witty comment about your mother goes here
    Posts
    1,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nerate_Mireth View Post
    Wait...we can make the resist spells target multiple people now? Since when did this happen? Must have been that stealth patch last night.
    hes probably talking about how you cast the spell then a window pops up with the different versions of the spell.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    DDDDDddddddDDDOOOOOOOooooOOOODOOOOOOMMMMMMmmmmmMMM MM!!!111!!!!!1!

  8. #8

    Default

    I think Magic Missile is fine. It's moderate damage for a 1st level spell and it's no save.

    Niac's Cold Ray is high damage, but it's save for none.

    Burning Hands is low damage, but save for half and AOE.

    How is Magic Missile not balanced?

    The only real problem I guess is that a 10% damage boost is rounded down to 0 no matter what your level is, since it deals low damage multiple times. Unless they fixed that; I have no idea.

  9. #9
    Bwest Fwiends Memnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ¿
    Posts
    16,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ganolyn View Post
    If I were to change anything it would be the non-linear route they take to their target. It takes too much time and adds nothing to the spell.
    Agreed.
    If they were to fix one aspect of MM, this'd be my choice too. And if ya can't make em go straighter - at least speed up the time it takes em to meander to the target.
    53699

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Memnir View Post
    Agreed.
    If they were to fix one aspect of MM, this'd be my choice too. And if ya can't make em go straighter - at least speed up the time it takes em to meander to the target.
    I was gonna rant about that at first actually xD but I guess I went for the one I missed most from Neverwinter Nights and Pnp :x

  11. #11
    Community Member Damionic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    ENGLAND
    Posts
    606
    I'm here because your not WISHING HARD ENOUGH!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload