Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Let us refine the idea a bit.

Let us use the bank as a way of doubling the amount of money a single character can hold. If VIP has a four million plat cap, with bank storage, it becomes eight million. And let the doubling effect scale with the plat limits placed on premium and f2p. Possibly make this a VIP perk/low TP cost for premium and f2p(I say low cost since it would work within the existing bank that they already have access to).

With the shared bank, let us place money in there for transfer between characters. Place a limit on how much can be placed in the shared bank, maybe something like 100k plat. This feature could be a low cost TP addition (shared bank is already a VIP perk). Maybe even have different tiers of limits, depending on how much someone is willing to spend for the extra plat space.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathseeker View Post
    Being able to put plat in the shared bank? Yes please!

Making plat account specific instead of character? No thanks.
    /signed
    Yes please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fomori View Post
    As is, your comment is just plain drivel especially with no reasoning to back it up.
    You sir, need to look in the mirror. I think you may see a troll looking back at you.
    Mazertron - Polymath - Icastflare - Threeword - Jujan - Zurgur

Quote Originally Posted by Cubethulu View Post
    Hi Welcome is now welcome to enter The Cube's belly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    Look at the Ion stones on that!

Quote Originally Posted by Woundwolf42 View Post
    I never understood why they call it a bank anyways. Without the ability to put money there, its actually The Lordsmarch and Kundarak Storage Facility.
    "Kundarak Bank, how may I assist you?"
    "Yes, I would like to store some platinum coins in my family account."
    "I'm sorry, you would like to store some what?"
    "Coins. Platinum coins. You know, the things we use for money around here?"
    "Oh, I'm terribly sorry, but the bank is not allowed to store money in its vaults. Is there anything else I can assist you with?"
    "Wait. You're telling me I can't put money in my bank account?"
    "That's correct. Is there anything else I can assist you with?"
    "[this space intentionally left blank]"
    Quote Originally Posted by havokiano View Post
    you are boring. And you rosik a lot. bye.
    Quote Originally Posted by suitepotato View Post
    With the amount of facepalming we do, it's a wonder DDO players have any noses left.

+1

And if you've ever played a game where coin had weight, you'd love the fact that most modern games eliminated that bit of annoyance.

I remember in the original Everquest, low level characters would make money by running to high level dungeons and changing out copper and silver coins for players there. This would save the player the time it took to run to the bank and back and possibly lose his camping spot in the dungeon. They took a 10% cut and did pretty well with it!

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mister_Peace View Post
    "Kundarak Bank, how may I assist you?"
    "Yes, I would like to store some platinum coins in my family account."
    "I'm sorry, you would like to store some what?"
    "Coins. Platinum coins. You know, the things we use for money around here?"
    "Oh, I'm terribly sorry, but the bank is not allowed to store money in its vaults. Is there anything else I can assist you with?"
    "Wait. You're telling me I can't put money in my bank account?"
    "That's correct. Is there anything else I can assist you with?"
    "[this space intentionally left blank]"
    +1 for the funny

and this is for the fact we can't store money in the bank...

Maybe will be easier to just add one single digit so we can mail 99999 pp.

Yawn...

Perhaps uncalled for, true... but apparently I struck a nerve (since you felt the need to point it out) so that it must be closer to the truth.
    If I called you a disgusting piece of filth and you replied to my post, would that somehow make my assertion true?

Unfortunately, swiftboat style attacks work when people choose to not respond to them.

Quote Originally Posted by donfilibuster View Post
    Maybe will be easier to just add one single digit so we can mail 99999 pp.
    The current limit is due to code design. Because this is a 32-bit game, the limit is that of an unsigned 32-bit integer (or from 0 to +2,147,483,648). Because the base currency is copper pieces, that is 2.147 billion copper pieces, or 2.147 million platinum pieces.
    In order to add that single digit you suggest, the game would need to be re-written (or at least recompiled) in 64-bit, which would bring the maximum value to 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 or 18 billion trillions.

Try carrying that amount in your pocket!

Incidentally, making the game a 64-bit only game would knock out the lower tier of gaming platforms .. especially those running on Windows XP.
    -=]ArchAngels[=-

Quote Originally Posted by PopeJual View Post
    If I called you a disgusting piece of filth and you replied to my post, would that somehow make my assertion true?

Unfortunately, swiftboat style attacks work when people choose to not respond to them.
    A more correct analogy would be if you made comment about player A, with one word in the entire comment that could be taken several ways one of which is condescending. Then player B singles out the one line with that word and specifically has to point out that he denounces with it. If I go out of my way to single out a portion of a comment I have a ulterior motive for doing so. My point was that his motive was to point it out for some reason. Since the rest of the comment itself was true, he didnt give any reasons to back it up, I simply inferred that the word drivel used toward another person, NOT HIM btw, struck a nerve.
    Male Fairy: "Dont cry my dear. You know what I do when I'm sad?"
    Felicia Day Fairy: "Look douchy..."

Quote Originally Posted by mournbladereigns View Post
    Actually, if this Nerf's one of Shade's barb's I doubly support this!

If I go out of my way to single out a portion of a comment I have a ulterior motive for doing so.
    This is incorrect. Also, /reported for the insult of claiming that I have an ulterior motive.

[quote=guidelines]1. While participating on the Community Sites, you must respect the rights of others to participate in the community. To this end you may not harass, defraud, threaten or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other members or Turbine staff. This includes, but is not limited to:
    [/qoute]

I am teh distressed nao!

It is right in the way that the Developers probably used an 32-Bit Integer but it is not the unsigned on (signed: -2.147E+9 - +2.147E+9; unsigned: 0 - 4.294E+9). Also it is neither necessary to recompile the code for 64-Bit only as those Datatypes (Quadword, Long, BigInteger) are available for 32-Bit too, nor does it then knock out Windows XP as this one exist in a 64-Bit Version as well

However the code is designed for that 32-Bit value and this one is used probably in so many places (functions for vendor, AH, repairs bills, loot, ...) that it would be a huge rewriting work to adapt this to a 64-Bit value. This as well is then a reason to not make it Account based and therefore rise the cap as it would mean to change all this places as well.

Anyhow I like the idea of being able to store money in the bank and it even would avoid the issue with the Datatype limit as it is a second place that may as well be limited to the same amount.

The other Question is: Banks in real life charge the client. Charging the client for an object in DDO is not possible, but would be for money and in that way even not need to cost Turbine Points at all. So depositing money may cost nothing but to draw out money will cost a charge that may be a bit lower then of the mail system (otherwise it wouldn't make sense to send it by mail in the first place). Well, one could say that a fee is not necessary as we as well not get interest on the money that is stored in the bank but something that came to my mind.
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhaven View Post
    An old idea but a good idea.
    I brought this up before. In my opinion, why aren't banks accepting money?? Will the dwarves steal it all to spend on beer and rum?

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=265446
    In case you didn't already notice, my posts that end with must NEVER EVER, under any circumstances, be taken seriously.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3012617

Scholar Of Adventure Lost_Leader's Avatar

Love the idea of being able to store coin in the account bank. I would actually love it to be all coin pooled into one big sum over all of my characters, but I worry that that would be problematic to implement, due to maximum coin/character restrictions.

It is difficult to move money around now, and difficult to keep track of my in-game finances.

As a tangent, I would actually like it if all Auction House transactions were done by account instead of by character. Would make it easier to keep track of bids when I want to play different characters, and I wouldn't bid against myself... oops.
    Leader of the Lost Legions
    ~Sarlona~

Quote Originally Posted by AyumiAmakusa View Post
    I brought this up before. In my opinion, why aren't banks accepting money?? Will the dwarves steal it all to spend on beer and rum?

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=265446
    Maybe they fear that something like VoN might happen again and that they are unable to get hand on the Gold

However my guess is just that the GUI not has the possibility to drag/drop/move single coins and would need a GUI improvement to handle that and its for now unclear how to. A buttons below the bank tabs to open a new window (like the bottom line of the mail window) or make the coin icons drag & drop-able, or...
    * We have collectable bags, hell even hireling folders, but can I have that 6-pack for my potions please?
    * Having already a past life on the dieng EU servers, I rerolled here and started from scratch as I like the game and the community, so lets see what awaits me here

Quote Originally Posted by Deathseeker View Post
    Being able to put plat in the shared bank? Yes please!

Making plat account specific instead of character? No thanks.
    +1 /signed

That doesnt make sense. Being able to put plat in the shared bank effectively makes it "account based". Even if they limited it to a certain amount all it does is slightly alleviate the prevailing annoyance. Right now to move large amounts of plat you either spend a half day at the mailbox, get a 2nd mule account, or find a friend to transfer.

Its not like there is any purpose to a plat/character concept. If we had; exchange rates for condensing coins, coin carried weight meant something, or even bank that charged a storage fee, then I can see your comment as starting to have merit. As is, your comment is just plain drivel especially with no reasoning to back it up.
    -1 /insertconstructivecomment

Community Member

1. Coin weight Issue: In D&D, gold coins, and in fact any coins, used to weigh 0.1 lb. So 5500 gp - which is just enough to pay for a +2 suit of full plate, actually weighed more than said full plate itself. For what it's worth, any DM worth his salt came up with a way to circumvent this limitation, such as money changers who exchange coins for gems at a moderate fee of only 10%, or banks that would issue 'letters of credit' (basically the equivalent of a bank note), that this bank would be willing to change back to it's original value in coins (and of course, again at a fee). Even early D&D games such as Pool of Radiance had jewelers who would sell you expensive gems or jewelry as an easier way to carry wealth.

2. Coding issues: as has been pointed out, the current plat limit most likely stems from a limit of the data types being used. Porting the game onto 64 bit however wouldn't change anything, neither the platform the game could run on nor the limitation itself - the limit would still remain the same until the actual code gets changed to accomodate this. And 32 bit OSs can normally run 64 bit applications, they will just be slower. That said, I highly doubt they will go to the effort of changing this limit. Chances are that some error will kill huge amounts of cash, or create it, and that would be a very bad thing. There is really no incentive to take such a risk.

That said: storing cash for all characters of your account in shared bank wouldn't neccessarily have to be restricted by the usual 2Mpp limit: you can just restrict coin storage to pp only and not accept smaller coinage. That way the program could store 1000 times as much pp in the bank without need for other data types.

3. Usability issues: From a player's perspective, I like that I don't need to micromanage my coin purses (with respect to coin weight), and I want it to stay that way. Of course, mailing cash to another toon feels a bit weird, especially when considering the transfer limit, but in PnP you usually didn't even have twinks, and even if you did, roleplaying aspects demanded that everyone keeps and maintains his own property. Not that I expect anyone to still roleplay in DDO, but I would regret to see a limitation go that does no more than 'enforce' a minuscule aspect of roleplaying. There still is an 'R' in MMORPG!

To the OP: /signed with respect to storing cash in your character bank - but since coins have no weight there would be no point.
    /not signed with respect to putting cash in shared bank, because, as I have pointed out in 3, this would suspend yet another aspect of roleplaying, and I see no imminent need.
    Last edited by Aschbart; 09-04-2010 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aschbart View Post
    1. Coin weight Issue: In D&D, gold coins, and in fact any coins, used to weigh 0.1 lb. So 5500 gp - which is just enough to pay for a +2 suit of full plate, actually weighed more than said full plate itself. For what it's worth, any DM worth his salt came up with a way to circumvent this limitation, such as money changers who exchange coins for gems at a moderate fee of only 10%, or banks that would issue 'letters of credit' (basically the equivalent of a bank note), that this bank would be willing to change back to it's original value in coins (and of course, again at a fee). Even early D&D games such as Pool of Radiance had jewelers who would sell you expensive gems or jewelry as an easier way to carry wealth.

2. Coding issues: as has been pointed out, the current plat limit most likely stems from a limit of the data types being used. Porting the game onto 64 bit however wouldn't change anything, neither the platform the game could run on nor the limitation itself - the limit would still remain the same until the actual code gets changed to accomodate this. And 32 bit OSs can normally run 64 bit applications, they will just be slower. That said, I highly doubt they will go to the effort of changing this limit. Chances are that some error will kill huge amounts of cash, or create it, and that would be a very bad thing. There is really no incentive to take such a risk.

3. Usability issues: From a player's perspective, I like that I don't need to micromanage my coin purses (with respect to coin weight), and I want it to stay that way. Of course, mailing cash to another toon feels a bit weird, especially when considering the transfer limit, but in PnP you usually didn't even have twinks, and even if you did, roleplaying aspects demanded that everyone keeps and maintains his own property. Not that I expect anyone to still roleplay in DDO, but I would regret to see a limitation go that does no more than 'enforce' a minuscule aspect of roleplaying. There still is an 'R' in MMORPG!

To the OP: /signed with respect to storing cash in your character bank - but since coins have no weight there would be no point.
    /not signed with respect to putting cash in shared bank, because, as I have pointed out in 3, this would suspend yet another aspect of roleplaying, and I see no imminent need.
    Not that I don't respect your views and opinions, but only number 2 seems to be relevant. What does coin weight have anything to do with this suggestion? So it has no weight in DDO, big deal!

As for 3, we're already twinking out our characters by sending plat through the mail, all this suggestion does is make our life easier.
    In case you didn't already notice, my posts that end with must NEVER EVER, under any circumstances, be taken seriously.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3012617

Thumbs up

/signed

I had problems while mailing cash to alts and now I'm very afraid of doing so, in fact I only mail plat to an alt if is complete necesary... I don't want to lose more 9999 plat mails only to be tell by a DM that the mail is WAI and they didn't know about my missing mails.

Plat in the shared bank will be perfect for me or every other altoholic out there and I even don't mind to pay in TP for that option.

Si non confectus, non reficiat

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by AyumiAmakusa View Post
    Not that I don't respect your views and opinions, but only number 2 seems to be relevant. What does coin weight have anything to do with this suggestion? So it has no weight in DDO, big deal!

As for 3, we're already twinking out our characters by sending plat through the mail, all this suggestion does is make our life easier.
    Well, only 3 was my opinion/view, 1. and 2. were just plain informative facts, referring to questions being asked or issues being raised earlier in this thread.

Of course, I realize the suggestion would make life a bit easier, and TBH I would also use it in spite of what I stated above. It's just that I'm a bit sad for every piece of roleplaying slipping away, even if the change is for the better of the gaming experience

Quote Originally Posted by kernal42 View Post
    It's never specified how large 1 platinum piece is. It could be very...very small.
    In the 3.5 rulebooks, 50 coins weigh one pound (110 per kilogram for those of us that only know metric).

In short - enough gold to purchase a Large Devil Scale would weigh more than a semi-trailer weighs - or if you paid platinum, the plat would weigh more than a family car with the family inside it.

Back to the OP - /signed.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12