Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Mm, this is gonna be a rough one. Part of what makes Rogue-like games fun is that the monsters are insanely hard and you can't fight them back to back without getting overwhelmed and be forced to retreat.

Another part of the rogue-like system is the incentive to not die, as with most rogue-like games you lose all your items and money upon defeat. If they did that in DDO, people would scream more than they'd enjoy.

Static traps already kill a ton of players. Rogue like games usually have a TON of traps on each "floor", running across one is inevitable, but usually not fatal. In DDO, almost all higher level traps are fatal.

And besides, we already have something similar to a rogue-like dungeon, and it's a pretty infuriating one at that (New Invasion!).

Some more current console/handheld versions of Roguelike games are:
    Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (GBA and DS)
    Izuna the Unemployed Ninja (DS)
    Azure Dreams (PSX)

The Anti-Conformist
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigana View Post
    ...It was a dwarven thrower--you know, it throws dwarves!

Quote Originally Posted by AZgreentea View Post
    My only issue is:

How would you make it lore appropriate? There would have to be a reason for a random dungeon to be in Xen'drik. ...
    While Xoriat is a fine excuse, you don't really need one. The idea that you would go back to the same dungeon over and over is really what doesn't jibe with the lore. Dungeon layouts and denizens should be a surprise more often than not. All you have to do is pretend each visit is the first time. Something the game is doing already.

Quote Originally Posted by Draccus View Post
    There was a Neverwinter Nights mod available that played like a Roguelike. It was called Endless Dungeons or something like that. I bought it and played it.

It was fun for about an hour but then something odd happened. This next sentence is going to sound wierd but hear me out: The randomness of the dungeon got repetitive and boring.
    I've bought and played that quite a while ago and have to agree with you.

However, I'm wonder who has played the original Diablo? IMHO, Diablo 1 and Endless Dungeons - while they had the same idea - were quite different. Somehow, the dungeons in Diablo seemed more... creative and fun.

I love the idea of dungeons like this, but believe they should be thought of carefully before being implemented.

I actually posted a pretty similar idea a while back, but that includes ideas on how to make it make sense, and how to make it work without clogging up the system with random maps being generated every time someone enters a random dungeon/area.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=214777

Quote Originally Posted by DToNE View Post
    Another part of the rogue-like system is the incentive to not die, as with most rogue-like games you lose all your items and money upon defeat. If they did that in DDO, people would scream more than they'd enjoy.
    I think that you would find a good base of people that would like to have this. The biggest contributors to power creep in MMO's are persistent/indestructible gear and lack of character level loss.
    Male Fairy: "Dont cry my dear. You know what I do when I'm sad?"
    Felicia Day Fairy: "Look douchy..."

Quote Originally Posted by mournbladereigns View Post
    Actually, if this Nerf's one of Shade's barb's I doubly support this!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12