Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Packrat

Community Member dragons1ayer74's Avatar

Default Packrat

Fellow Citizens of Stormreach,

The time has come. I know we all suffer from the same problem. Now we have to talk about it.

That problem is stuff. So much... stuff.

One day all you have to worry about is the twenty or so masterwork docents your low level bard is hauling around (thank you so much, Coin Lords of Stormreach!), and the next, you're trying to remember whether you sold, traded, banked, vendored, brokered, lost, bartered, or gambled away that prize Hamstringing light crossbow of Merfolk's Blessing that would be just right for this new content that just came out. If you are especially unlucky, you have access to a guild chest, which is code for another black hole to lose things in.

So if you have been playing for any length of time at all (I have) you probably have a vast inventory filled with junk (I do) that you just couldn't part with when you picked it up (like I couldn't). Lucky for you and for me, you now have a weapon to help your fight against the vasty horde of collectables, raid loot, and symbols of whatshisname the Evil Doctor of wherehistown.

It's called Packrat.

The idea is simple. You take screenshots of your insane pile of rubish and the program reads the names and builds you a list of everything you have which you can then access out of game. Did you finally decide to build that warforged dart throwng bard you always dreamed about? No problem! Packrat will have a list of where you stashed all those axiomatic darts you've been saving up since module 2. Just returning to a favourite old character and need to load him out with some of your high end stuff from your other, newer, sportier types? Easy! Packrat can list all your characters on all servers so no nook or cranny goes unnoticed. The possibilities are endless. Actually, its not endless. Doing Rainbow in the Dark on elite with level 12 chars was bloody endless. Packrat, though, is a close second.

In time, additional features will be at your command. You will be able to enter tasks for specific inventory items and be able to filter for those tasks, to make it easier to know what you are planning on selling or keeping or doing other things with - such as earmarking items for another of your characters. Of course, since we are all packrats at heart, you won't actually sell any of that stuff you marked for sale, but its nice to dream, isn't it?

Trust me, you can sell that Sword of Tesyus now. Its time. Let it go.

So, if you need help hitting that "sell" button, Packrat can help. If you would rather spend more time obtaining loot then sorting it, Packrat can really help. And if you try it and you don't notice immediate improvements in your inventory cataloguing capabilities... well, thats unfortunate. Maybe send an e-mail and your idea could be implemented into a newer, snazzier version.

So that is that, fellow believers. We've talked the talk we've needed to talk. Now all you have to do is follow this link:

Packrat's Home Page

and give Packrat a whirl. Try it out, have some fun, and along the way help make Stormreach a better place.

And really, sell that Sword already.

Curent Version: Packrat 2.0

For people that would like to jump right in follow this link for the entire installation package Packrat Install. Please remember to correctly configure Packrat after installation.

Please feel free to visit the site and download and enjoy the application.

Many thanks to Sovereign for the very enjoyable introduction tale.
    Last edited by dragons1ayer74; 11-03-2011 at 11:26 AM.

The most common mistake using the program after you have it setup correctly will likely be aligning the navigator. A screen similar to this will be included inside the application in the next release. Hopefully this clears up any issues user might be having getting the navigator aligned.

Also a further note to the item box alignment the Left and Top coordinates of the item box need to remain consistent for each screen shot. Some items have different widths many have different heights. Do not let the pop up item box remain in the default position when taking your screenshots. Do not position it anywhere close to the bottom of your screen and do not have it extremely close to the right side of your screen.
    Last edited by dragons1ayer74; 09-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.

Packrat Instructions

Step 1: Create Some Sceen Shots in DDO
    • The first thing we need to do is create one screenshot for every item that you want Packrat to manage. Before you do this you should empty out the DDO screenshot folder of all screenshotXX.jpg files.
    • Now load up DDO and at this time you may want to map print screen to a single key to make this process easier.
    • Now open your inventory and possible move the inventory screen to an out of the way location. You need to ensure the item description is always up to do this press "z" and do not close the item description window until you finish the entire process.
    • Next you need to position the description window in an area of the screen that has lots of nice empty screen real estate and will accommodate your largest item description without changing the top position of the item description. Now the tedious part and perhaps the most time consuming part of the entire process. In your first inventory tab click on your first item, then take a screenshot, now click your second item in the first tab and then take a screen shot...repeat this for each of the 20 items in your inventory including blank slots. Now without doing anything else click on the second inventory tab and then click on your first item in the second tab and then take a screenshot. You need to take one screen shot for each item in your inventory for every tab you have this should create 20 images per tab. If you did not specify the DDO Screenshot folder as your screenshot path in Packrat you will need to move the screenshots to the alternate path.

Step 2: Startup Packrat and Configure your Position
    • Exit or minimize DDO and start the Packrat application.
    • Press settings.
    • If you have setup everything correct in the alignment tab you should see the screenshot of your fist item. Now slide the right and bottom scroll bars as needed to position the screen so your item description is in the center of the scroll box. Now double click on your screenshot in the top right border of the item description window. The blue navigator should appear, you can use the arrow keys to fine tune the position of the navigator it must be located on the outmost solid straight line border of the item description. Once the blue navigator is positioned press save. The auto position feature that was added might have this aligned properly for you. For more info: see aligning the navigator in the post above.

Step 3: Import
    • Now we are ready for Packrat to do its work, press the import button. Before you can continue the navigator must be aligned. Packrat will ask if your Image is aligned, if you click no you must cancel and go back to step2 and align your image, unaligned images will not import properly if at all.
    • Assuming you click yes your favorite character and favorite serve should appear in the character and server drop down respectively. Change the character and Sever values to match the screenshots you took.
    • Pick an inventory type (yes Packrat can do Bank slots in the same manner as inventory slots).
    • Once everything appears good click on the "Proceed with import" button. Packrat will do some checks to see if it needs to overwrite the applicable inventory, if not it will begin its job. On the development computer it processed the items at the rate of about 1.2 seconds per image so 2 minutes to do 100 slots of inventory (This time estimate was prior to packrat 2.0 when the only thing being recognized was the item name).
    Last edited by dragons1ayer74; 09-28-2011 at 10:03 AM.

<<Reserved>>

<<Reserved>>

<<Reserved>>

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

This could be very cool. Will try it out when I get some time.
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Hero
    Knight of Movember
    2014 DDO Players Council

I will give it a whirl when I get a chance - it sounds very useful.
    The evolution of DDO: Stormreach to Eberron Unlimited to Dungeons & Dragons Online
    -1- -2- -3- -4- -5- -6- -7- -8- -9- -10 - -11- -12!! years & still spawning kobolds
    From Turbine to SSG, who are the devs anyway? DDO Peeps Tracker

The idea is interesting, but it also sounds like you're talking one screenshot per item...if you've got even a handful of mules, you're talking hundreds of pictures to capture every item. How feasible is this to actually use?
    I am the 'Who' In the call "Who's there!?"
    I am the wind blowing through your hair.
    I am the shadow on the moon at night, filling your dreams to the brim with fright.

Yes that is the worst part of the entire process and it is one screenshot per item. By remapping the print screen key so it is easier accessible (ie: * on the key pad) you can easily do 100 screenshots (204 clicks from the get go) in under 3 minutes. If you are doing this for mules that entire inventory are full of stuff that rarely changes place but you want to get a handle on where it is, for when you want it, this is a great time investment, doing it on high level character with serious inventory issues is also likely a good time investment. Doing this on level 5 characters that has 3 inventory slots and best item is an account bound +3 it is likely not a good time investment. Also what I like to do is take the screenshots on my gaming computer then copy them over to the laptop (which does not have enough resources to play DDO), I can now manage my inventory and use the app to make a task list so when I do get back in game I can get organized again.

How does the program handle the auto-compare boxes that pop up (making sure it reads the correct one) and do you have to use the default skin, or does the skin matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    How does the program handle the auto-compare boxes that pop up (making sure it reads the correct one) and do you have to use the default skin, or does the skin matter?
    I believe the auto-compare is handled in the instructions documentation on the website, but for sure I will go over the way it works again. You need to ensure that your item descriptions are up in the static box "z" when you take your item screenshot. Before you take your first screenshot you need to reposition that window to some open screen real-estate that will not conflict or overlap with any other pop-up’s and will not have the item description box’s horizontal or vertical access automatically moved on the top or left side of the window.

It has only been tested and developed on the default skin. In theory it should would work with other skins (perhaps even better) but you might have to play a bit with the image alignment before importing also the other skin would need some type of solid lined border around the item.
    Last edited by dragons1ayer74; 09-02-2010 at 10:27 AM.

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

OK, gotta say, this seems very cool after my initial test session.

Grabbed the images of a page of inventory on one of my clerics, took those screenshots and put them into a directory (16 screenshots took a couple minutes tops) Assigned the Directory, Aligned my Description box, added my character name and hit IMPORT!

16 images took about a minute on my laptop.

Heres the output

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It was VERY easy and easily searchable/filterable.

I only wish there was an "Edit" feature so I could correct the Capital letters that are Wrong
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

I might have to to give this a try

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Definitly need an "Edit" function. Noticed a couple other minor spelling/OCR errors inthe item names as well.

Takes way less time than the Excel spreadsheet I tried to use for a while(Gave up on that)

Further sorting can easily be accomplished by naming a character "Ingredient Bag" for example.
    Thelanis

Sev~

Quote Originally Posted by Impaqt View Post
    I only wish there was an "Edit" feature so I could correct the Capital letters that are Wrong
    Impaqt thanks for trying it out. Wish is granted without a recompile even, the edit feature already exists. I for sure need to get the documentation a bit better. The edit button is the 6th one on the bottom left bar it looks like a small black pyramid. Press the pyramid button then go into the name cell and make your changes then press the check mark button beside it and it should be properly updated.

I am more than curious about the accuracy or inaccuracy result form a few of your items, was you vertical and horizontal alignment good for all images?
    Last edited by dragons1ayer74; 09-02-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Does it save just the name, or is the/a description saved and available also? That could be useful in distinguishing upgraded/base Mindsunder items, or between various Icy Burst axes, etc.

Cheers,
    Kernal

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by dragons1ayer74 View Post
    Impaqt thanks for trying it out. Wish is granted without a recompile even, the edit feature already exists. I for sure need to get the documentation a bit better. The edit button is the 6th one on the bottom left bar it looks like a small black pyramid. Press the pyramid button then go into the name cell and make your changes then press the check mark button beside it and it should be properly updated.

I am more quite curious about the accuracy or inaccuracy result form a few of your items, was you vertical and horizontal alignment good for all images?
    the Triangle is Edit? lol... ok....

Yes, My alignment seems dead on according to your post above. the Errors seem to be on items where the background image curves down into the text AND the background swoop is a different color than the text (Some items have a gold background with grey text, some grey background with grey text, no real consistency it seems there)

ALl my Screenshots were taken in succession with no adjustment to the position of the Z window at all.
    Thelanis

Sev~

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by kernal42 View Post
    Does it save just the name, or is the/a description saved and available also? That could be useful in distinguishing upgraded/base Mindsunder items, or between various Icy Burst axes, etc.

Cheers,
    Kernal
    all the item images are saved in a file and are displayed as you select each item, so its very easy to tell what you are looking at.
    Thelanis

Sev~

Hall of Famer
    2016 DDO Players Council

Found an odd bug....

If you select an item and then use the scroll wheel to roll down to another item the list seems to get out of sync. You cant select the item even though its highlighted and sometimes the program doesnt respond at all until you click an item a few times, and then it highlights the wrong item.
    Thelanis

Sev~

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast