Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ltshark1980 View Post
    I will continue to look for people that don't judge immediately on first response and simply play this game to enjoy it.
    In doing this, don't be afraid to send private tells to the person forming the group letting them know that you are a newly capped player that has a strong gaming background and is looking to learn the end game content. You'll find many that are very supportive of this (some won't be). That will also start a dialogue/relationship that might lead to some guild invites over time if the run goes well.
    INFERUS SUS Sorcs (Socky, Sockie, Socklin), Rogues (Sockpuppet, Sockum), Clerics (Sockington, Sockase), FVS (Sockle), Intim (Tubesocks), Bards (Sockdolenger, Sockish), Rangers (Sockin, Sockel), Wizzy (Sockut), Kensai (Sockt), Monk (Sockfist), Arty (Sockficer, Sockcraft)

Spammy Backstory I always add for some reason...
    feel free to skip:
    Before I said screw it and just made the Silver Spiders to replace my original solo guild, 'NIDWTJYG' (NO, I Don't Want To Join Your Guild), I was in several guilds. Some were destined to die a quick, leaderless death. Others lasted for a good year or two. But, all died before the renown system came about. (Mostly due to the ever present problem with the current guild system that if the leader leaves the game, but doesn't leave the guild, you can't replace him/her.)

After my last big guild all but died I took some time off from the game. I had things going on in RL that were more important at the time. But, since my return, I shuffled all my characters out of my dead guilds into a single group to put all the renown I gain into one place and I've PUG'd. I've done pick up groups for everything short of the epic missions with one group or another. (save the Abbot. And the Epic is because I haven't bothered trying yet.) I've met some good people that don't mind me tagging along with their guild runs if I'm available and they have room just about anytime we're on at the same time..

The actual statement relative to your post:
    I'm sorry you've had a bad time of it with the guilds you've tried to join. Personally, I mostly run solo or with my buddy from work. But, when I feel like getting a group on and hitting something full on, I just PUG a while until I find a good group. Even if the PUG sucks as a team. You can usually find one or two other players that are good and willing to work with you again after you survive a bad PUG together. I've met many people that way.

If your active and on at a regular time, it isn't very hard to find a good group of people that will run with you regardless of their guild and after a few runs, you'll probably end up being invited. I still get invites to leave my solo guild and join a bigger one at times. But, most of the people I run with (that have one) don't mind inviting me onto their ship. So, I have no need to formally join up.
    Last edited by Skirmish; 08-31-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Community Member

+1 to ur rep after retracting, thank you Kobold, your later statement makes sense. I am taking all of this to heart, and maybe trying to change my approach to how I play with others here.

I do prefer the meathead joke way of playing, mona, gripe, kill enmies, mona gripe. Keeps my heart racing and is a minor outlet for a bit of my anger, and a place to enjoy decent competition in dungeons. Even if it is only minor things like kill count/ or how takes least damage, or if my healer can not use a single sp pot in a raid.

Again thank you all for directions into playstyle, and attitude style.

Quote Originally Posted by Emili View Post

I invite new players all the time. To groups, To guild and wager to say is among some of the oldest of guilds in game. I rub elbows with power gamers and casual players alike.

Ya know.. in some countries.. rubbing elbows is sekshul!
    Boldrin//Grandmaster Flash//Cartaras
    Plucky // Whipping //Malachus
    Juxta//Pigsticker//Stealyour// Internet
    Proud member of Loreseekers

How do you add infraction points to someone like this that is clearly flaming me in a "nice" way for posting something?
    hit the ! in the upper right corner and report the post as breaking the rule in attempting to start a flame.

Usually you need to do something really bad in order to not make raids. On Khyber, I quite often join shroud runs on my characters. I've even been on a shroud with my gimped (soon to be TR'd) wizard.

As far as epics, people are generally picky about epic quests. Fill yourself out with some decent eq from raids and what not and try again. You should be able to get into a decent guild, but you may have ruined your chances in getting in a decent guild with your insulting posts. I would recommend posting on the guild forums, but that might not work now ... *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Ltshark1980
    Obviously I have been in a few groups if you MyDDO me
    Just to toss out there, this may be hard to do if you are trying to allow MyDDO to prove a point:

Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Community Member

wrong person

(yes this is my first post)

SO your new to game and level 20. Yup you won't be getting into any good guilds, because they don;t allow new people. Wanna do epics? sorry no your not in a good guild so we don't think your good enough for our PUG. Oh you have never done an epic yet? Nope sorry we cannot take you then. This guild only takes in people who have done all epics and all raids.....blah bloody freakin blah.

Your new guild renown system has created a virtual wall for the "cool kids". They now have a reason to form wicked cliques where new people have no chance at surviving anywhere in this game. Shame on you Turbine for your guild renown.

As a fromer player of Star War Galaxies, Vanguard, Tabula Rasa, World of Warcraft, City of Hereos, EverQuest, and many many other games, as well as a game programmer myself, shame on you.

You have created a place where new people suffer at the expense of the old players, who see no room for new people because as a rule new people don't know the game. Welcome to a time period where a game that forces guilds too late and in fact begind to deter new players and thus buries itself in the downfall of its own game.

(golf claps)

and yes I did play this game during beta, don't let start time fool you.
    This game is no more elitist than any of the others you mentioned. You possess the tools to fix all the problems you seem to have - form your own groups, and/or be nicer to groups you do join so they let you play with them again.

Community Member

I need to +1 this guy. Either you are cool, or you aren't. If you aren't, then you don't get to play. Being waiting for two days on my Rogue to do an 18th level quest on Elite, have posted LFMs religiously..at best, three people will join, wait 5 minutes, then leave.

This isn't even an epic quest...it's 18th. I'm guessing it's because 1) No one cares about favor like they used to 2) It's a high end quest, so most people just don't need the xp anymore. and very likely, 3) My name isn't familiar, and rep for PUGs is horrible, so no one joins.

Accursed Ascension is a great example of what OP is talking about. If you aren't in the 'in crowd' you just don't run this raid, period. "Just put up an LFM." Is the common response, to that I say, read the above comments, it is very likely you'll be waiting days for it to fill, because of those same three reasons, and a 4th to boot: "I've never seen that name before, doubtful he knows what the raid is about..I don't want to risk dying and waste my time."

I could make my own guild...and wait for enough people to get to 20th..and hope they stick around in the guild long enough to give it reputation..and hope more people follow...but...it's a far shot. Not saying it's not possible...just...no.

Or...people with sticks up their wazoo could actually come out of their bubble, risk touching the 'unworthy,' party with them a few times, and maybe...just maybe, you'll find out that someone else DOES know what they are doing after all...

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sigtrent View Post
    A. Your whining because you haven't gotten exactly what you want. Boo hoo.

B. Your new to the game and level 20, how does that work exactly?

C. Guilds are foremost groups of friends that like playing together. All builds are cliquish, they are clubs, thats how clubs work. If you want in a club you get to know the members, you prove you are the kind of person they like to play with, then you get in. You don't demand entrance by divine right.

D. If you want to run Epics, just start your own groups, or start your own guild. If you aren't good enough, keep working at it. If you don't want to do the work, don't expect to get a privilege.

E. There are tons of non exclusive guilds out there, they just don't raid and do epics all the time. Consider why that might be and perhaps you will have learned something.
    This is the person I meant to quote. Thank you for being rude. +1 negatvie rep.

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfCheese View Post
    In doing this, don't be afraid to send private tells to the person forming the group letting them know that you are a newly capped player that has a strong gaming background and is looking to learn the end game content. You'll find many that are very supportive of this (some won't be). That will also start a dialogue/relationship that might lead to some guild invites over time if the run goes well.
    /qft

Community Member

I can do any of that with my unguilded poorly equipped characters who I almost never play so no one even recognizes their name. Maybe the problem you're having is that people DO recognize your character's name?

This is the person I meant to quote. Thank you for being rude. +1 negatvie rep.
    I always chuckle a little bit when I see someone who can't neg-rep say they neg-repped someone

Community Member

+1 rep to you Azoralq.

That is the point I am basically trying to get across. Some of us wait very very long periods of times for groups to form on even simple quests to form like The Prisoner of the Planes.

Then you have a few drop to go do something with their guild. Then you wait another 15 minutes to replace that 1 person, while still waiting on the rare healer lol. Eventually you do get a group if you are patient enough to wait up to an hour at times.

Oddly no one has siad solo the quests. Which when you don;t have a 20 to back you new chars, or it is TR'd with uber gear solo is just....well not an option.

SO yes we newish people do wait long periods of time to get our 1 quest in. Then it's back to bed for work, school, sports, or whatever it is some of you do in real life.

This post was meant to wake up some people and shake them out of their ivory towers.

It's called paying your dues...

And building good rep on the server.
    The Nak Abides - Argo - Ascent
    Ganak Goblinjuicer ~ Xanak the Irregular

Quote Originally Posted by Azoralq View Post
    I need to +1 this guy. Either you are cool, or you aren't. If you aren't, then you don't get to play. Being waiting for two days on my Rogue to do an 18th level quest on Elite, have posted LFMs religiously..at best, three people will join, wait 5 minutes, then leave.

This isn't even an epic quest...it's 18th. I'm guessing it's because 1) No one cares about favor like they used to 2) It's a high end quest, so most people just don't need the xp anymore. and very likely, 3) My name isn't familiar, and rep for PUGs is horrible, so no one joins.

Accursed Ascension is a great example of what OP is talking about. If you aren't in the 'in crowd' you just don't run this raid, period. "Just put up an LFM." Is the common response, to that I say, read the above comments, it is very likely you'll be waiting days for it to fill, because of those same three reasons, and a 4th to boot: "I've never seen that name before, doubtful he knows what the raid is about..I don't want to risk dying and waste my time."

I could make my own guild...and wait for enough people to get to 20th..and hope they stick around in the guild long enough to give it reputation..and hope more people follow...but...it's a far shot. Not saying it's not possible...just...no.

Or...people with sticks up their wazoo could actually come out of their bubble, risk touching the 'unworthy,' party with them a few times, and maybe...just maybe, you'll find out that someone else DOES know what they are doing after all...
    Some quests are notorious for their difficulty to complete in a PuG setting. For instance, elite SoS comes to mind. Not a raid, but good luck filling up an LFM for it unless you're well known on the server or running with well geared friends.

Not sure about the state of the abbot on Arg. On Thelanis there are pugs for this all the time. As long as new players to the raid let the leader know they are new, there is generally no problem. And yes, abbot is hard to fill up a group for if you're an "unknown commodity" as its rate of completion is more based around puzzle ability than dps/gear. My advice, read a guide for the raid, watch some videos, familiarize yourself with the puzzles. If you can get a guild group together, go in on normal, and just practice puzzles without worrying about saving sp or anything for beating down the abbot.
    700+ HP? 90+ AC? TWF DPS and Hate?
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=326756

Call me cynical but I highly doubt this entire thread. I think this kid is a fake. I think his alleged characters don't exist. I think he's a spaz and this whole thread is a farce. Just my personal opinion.

I would, however, like to say that I am highly impressed with the quantity of folk who took his cry for help at face value and tried to offer up some helpful suggestions.

The fact that he titled this thread: "This game is a sad joke" is enough to make me want to tear him to shreds (verbally of course). Accordingly, I kinda just see him for the social misfit he is. Which might explain why no guild will take him. No offense.
    Last edited by Celestrata; 03-28-2011 at 01:01 PM.

+1 rep to you Azoralq.

That is the point I am basically trying to get across. Some of us wait very very long periods of times for groups to form on even simple quests to form like The Prisoner of the Planes.

Then you have a few drop to go do something with their guild. Then you wait another 15 minutes to replace that 1 person, while still waiting on the rare healer lol. Eventually you do get a group if you are patient enough to wait up to an hour at times.

Oddly no one has siad solo the quests. Which when you don;t have a 20 to back you new chars, or it is TR'd with uber gear solo is just....well not an option.

SO yes we newish people do wait long periods of time to get our 1 quest in. Then it's back to bed for work, school, sports, or whatever it is some of you do in real life.

This post was meant to wake up some people and shake them out of their ivory towers.
    We didn't have healers in all our runs when we were new either. Those of us who are still here are the ones who adapted and learned how to crush quests with sub-optimal parties, builds, players, and gear. We are Darwin's prodigy in DDO.

maybe some of those 'clicks' and 'guilds' you tried to run with are not that good.

part of this game is recognizing good players and guilds, not guild renown or levels.

(yes this is my first post)

SO your new to game and level 20. Yup you won't be getting into any good guilds, because they don;t allow new people. Wanna do epics? sorry no your not in a good guild so we don't think your good enough for our PUG. Oh you have never done an epic yet? Nope sorry we cannot take you then. This guild only takes in people who have done all epics and all raids.....blah bloody freakin blah.

Your new guild renown system has created a virtual wall for the "cool kids". They now have a reason to form wicked cliques where new people have no chance at surviving anywhere in this game. Shame on you Turbine for your guild renown.

As a fromer player of Star War Galaxies, Vanguard, Tabula Rasa, World of Warcraft, City of Hereos, EverQuest, and many many other games, as well as a game programmer myself, shame on you.

You have created a place where new people suffer at the expense of the old players, who see no room for new people because as a rule new people don't know the game. Welcome to a time period where a game that forces guilds too late and in fact begind to deter new players and thus buries itself in the downfall of its own game.

(golf claps)

and yes I did play this game during beta, don't let start time fool you.
    Cannon fodder build The Stalwart Defender, Raid Tank
    Worst Shroud PUG EVER!!!!!! Epic Fail (started 1/13/10, necro'd 3/9/10, 4/20/10, raised dead 3/ 9/11, necro'd 4/9/11, 5/28/11, fame petition necro 8/5/11, necro'd 9/30/11, KIA 10/3/11, True reincarnated famed (by cleric Cordovan) 10/4/11,

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by oweieie View Post
    I can do any of that with my unguilded poorly equipped characters who I almost never play so no one even recognizes their name. Maybe the problem you're having is that people DO recognize your character's name?
    Possible. Could be that you made a bad name for yourself, and you didn't even know it. Unlikely, but possible. In DDO, when you **** up...EVERYONE tells you, on the spot. The cleric that doesn't heal fast enough in the Shroud is bombarded by nasty tells or belittlement over Voice Chat..You hear it all the time. "My God xxx, you suck...heal sometime?"

The Fighter that doesn't do enough damage to suit your needs, the rogue that blows up a single trap in a quest you deem 'too easy.'

If you have negative rep...you know about it.

To beat everyone to the punch: No..I'm not one of those people. I don't 'know this from experience' of whatever wise ass comment you have coming..I'll admit..I've been one to jump in on the belittling from time to time..no one is perfect.

I just came back from a long break..no one knows my rogue...Negative Rep is out of the question. So...I'm back to 'no one knows the name, so that must mean it isn't good enough to play with.'

Furthermore..I'm sure your poorly equipped, unguilded character is known as a side effect of being on the same account as your highly equipped, High Teir guilded character.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast