Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best DPS class?

Community Member

Default Best DPS class?

Well, a question that has certainly been asked a whole lot. So, I'm looking for a pure DPS class and I'm kind of getting an impression that a 'Sorcerer' would be the way to go. If this is so, then this game is another MMORPG with the typical 'glass cannon'.

So, if the Sorcerer is the main DPS. What would I do when creating my character (as far as I remember, it's not that simple and you can choose all different options when creating a char) in order to get the biggest DD?

Thank you.

idk about glass cannon. I run a warforged sorc and am looking to max 500 hp (467 now ) with great blocking dr and instant self healing.
    I am roleplaying. My toons are zergers.

Community Member

Main DPS is melee.

The different melee classes perform differently against various monsters and fortifications.

Overall, highest unconditional DPS is Fighter Kensai, followed by Barbarian.
    Knight of the Chalice Paladins get their DPS into the region of the big 2 vs Evil Outsiders but less against other creatures.
    Rogues do very high DPS when the monster's fortification is low and they dont have aggro (sneak attacks) - but their DPS crumbles with rising fortification.
    (Melee) Rangers are pretty low, even against their Favored Enemies they are far off from Fighters and Barbs - against non-favored enemies, they barely do more damage than melee Clerics.
    Where Monks stand i dont really know.

Ranged damage is generally very low.

Arcane DPS can get very high when spamming many spells in short order but that isnt sustainable.
    Firewall can do some damage to a lot of creatures so there they can get some good numbers but DPS in DDO is primarily about single-target DPS where casters are far, far, far off unless they could shrine every 1 or 2 minutes.

Community Member

Well, if Sorcerers/Wizzards aren't glass cannons, what are they good for then? Surely they are not used for buffing or healing.

And I'm only interested in PvE (absolutely no interest in PvP whatsoever) so it might work differently for different purposes.

Melee are the DPS of this game. Arcane casters can dish out large amounts of damage but as their damage is limited by the amount of sp they have they cannot sustain it for long periods of time.

The main high DPS classes are Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue and Monk.

Rogues have the highest DPS but its application is limited as you must not have a mobs agro for SA to work. Fortification (found on most bosses, undead and constructs) lowers Rogue DPS by a large amount as it gives a % chance for sneak attack to be ignored (25,50,75,100%). Assassin Rogues gain vorpal on all their weapons at level 18 allowing them to instantly a large number of mobs on a roll of a 20.

Fighters have the second highest of the 4 and while their damage is not situational like a Rogues, it can only be sustained for up to 6 minutes. With a high attack speed they are effective with weapons that apply effects to a mob like vorpals and stat damagers. Fighters damage is specialized in one weapon type and once they stop using it they lose a chunk of their DPS.

Barbarians recently received a lot of nerfs but while two weapon fighting they still retain a large amount of their DPS. A large advantage of Barbarians is the fact the in most quest they will be able to stay at max DPS for its entire duration. Barbarians are easy to play for the most part and will not have to fill any extra party functions. Barbarians will reach very high stunning blow DCs, once a mob is stunned every hit on that mob becomes a critical hit and this makes Barbarians very useful when killing trash mobs endgame, Fighters will also reach high DCs giving them the same advantage. As Barbarians are not limited to one weapon type they make great all round toons.

Monks DPS is clicky based, you have to constantly use different hot keyed attacks and maintain ki levels to sustain your DPS. Again like a Barbarian your DPS will never run out but it is much more difficult to keep it at high levels. As Monks have nothing to enhance their crit range or multiplier their DPS advantage is focused on fortified enemies which makes them especially good for killing raid bosses.

Imo the best DPS class atm would be and 18/2 TWF Barb/Fighter, not only do you have high sustained DPS but the 2 Fighter levels also give you the ability to haste boost increasing your burst DPS. You will also have very high HP and free damage reduction.

The highest DPS class is a pure Halfling Rogue wielding Khopeshes, however due to the way the DPS is applied Rogues are not for everyone. Maxing out DPS also requires HP and skill sacrifices which are important for a Rogue.

One thing to bear in mind is that in DDO a large portion of your DPS comes from your equipment, depending on the class you will have to grind different amounts of gear.
    Last edited by Consumer; 08-28-2010 at 07:02 PM.

on critical immune enemies monk are highest dps they cant quite reach a barb/fighter dps though on crit enemies but not to far behind.

Community Member

Well, Monk is definitely a class I would never go for. For years and years I used to play as a Melee warrior/fighter/barbarian/zerk (that kind of thing) and then I discovered that I like being a Mage (as they are usually the DD's as opposed to Warriors being Tanks) but other classes were always a definite no-no for me. So I'm gonna go for a Barbarian even though he has an ugly armor -.- What Path should I choose? And how should I level at the start and blah blah blah.

BTW Remember, I'm gonna aim for being the main DPS @ PvE

This topics been done to death but heres my take on it.

I love sorcerers. They can do huge amounts of damage and forget the single target jobbies. polar rays about 50 sp, end game you can easily have 2500+ sp. so you could single shot 50 times just with polar ray and drop trash.

Wail can kill mulitple trash for 60 odd sp.... check these, im running a wiz atm and to be honest i have no idea on sp costs changes all the time with maxi, empower, sp reduction etc.....

Most quests you can spam quite alot of spells between shrines. End bosses, you will cream as a sorc. Your not gonna solo pt 5 of the shroud for sure but in your flagging quests etc you will do fine.

HOWEVER!

Using a melee is constant. If you miss a swing it doesnt overly matter. If your sorc misses a few finger of deaths it starts to get expensive.

I think its always a bit misleading trying for "the ultimate dps". Even if you use melee theres lots of variables. Fort/ no fort. resistances, DR, burst damage, temp boosts etc all make the topic difficult to judge.

At the end of the day a melee will be EASIER to do high damage but if things work well for your sorc, you dont cast spells into the celing, you dont get interupted etc then you will also be doing excellent damage.

Another thing to consider is agro. A melee can attack, do damage, take agro and deal with it. A sorc does damage, takes agro and needs a plan to get rid of it.... or kill the mob quickly.

Different strokes. As for who does most damage.... IMHO.... I dont think thats a question that can be answered. A maxi, empowered polar ray that crits can do 2000 odd damage against venerable foes. No single melee attack can match that. BUT!! in the 6 seconds it takes to cool down the melee has put in X attacks at Y damage...... And, as i say, that X and Y are tough to work out. especially against a number for the polar ray that is also very variable.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

Casters are NOT dps. With crappy melee, the caster over a short time can do more dmg than the melee, but when the melee is good even if the caster increases his rotation of spells (meaning he uses even more sp and can't sustain it at all) he will barely do more dmg than a melee.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlll View Post
    (Melee) Rangers are pretty low, even against their Favored Enemies they are far off from Fighters and Barbs - against non-favored enemies, they barely do more damage than melee Clerics.
    Welcome to DDO
    Khyber
    Swez Sowan
    Sowen Sown

Quote Originally Posted by Nezichiend View Post
    Casters are NOT dps. With crappy melee, the caster over a short time can do more dmg than the melee, but when the melee is good even if the caster increases his rotation of spells (meaning he uses even more sp and can't sustain it at all) he will barely do more dmg than a melee.
    but this is what i mean. How do you work it out?

Im not overly disagreeing with you, im just saying. you seem very certain about that.

Lets give you an example......

your a melee and im a sorc. we are standing in a room with.... 10 orcs, each have..... 500 hp.

they surround me and i cast wail. some drop some dont. i cast it 3 times. and 1 polar ray. all trash are dead. Its taken me..... 250 sp to clear the room in..... 10 seconds. thats with a fairly standard capped char. No greensteel not many raid items, tomes etc.

Your melee wont do it in such a short time. Now..... sustained....? I could do another 8-9 encounters before needing to shrine. That means for a huge pool of trash i can PROBABALY kill them faster then you. meaning I have more dps. I can do it for long enough to make the next shrine, in most quests.

thats trash.

Bosses, we went throguh this before on the EU forums. I can cycle spells and deal X damage. as you say, i will then run out of spells. You will still be swinging away. But to calculated the damage in a comparative manner is almost impossble.

Ok, I dump my mana meaning im now useless, BUT i have already done....... 10,15,20 k damage. You will do more as you can stand there "forever" swinging. but that depends on healing recieved, I.E how long CAn you actually stand there for.

Also, it depends on how your char is build. what boss your against, immunities etc.

standing toe to toes with the demon queen is likely to be messy unless you have a sympathetic cleric to help you out. By the same respect SP dumping harry in the first 30 seconds is likewise gonna result with me in tears unless i have a melee to finish him off.

As I say, Im not really disputing what you say. We all know the sustained damage argument, and its correct. A sorc is great for doing damage but a melee does it easier. I just think the statment "ULTIMATE DPS" is misleading as it can only be "ultimate" in a certain circumstance.

Whether thats against fort mobs, non fort mobs or for only X amount of time i think the variables make it a question that cant be answered. All I would say is Yes, sorcerers can do big DPS. the SECOND is what makes it important.

If you were to ask about damage over 5 mins........ no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanvar View Post
    I believe my left thumb is Gimp. I think I need to reroll.
    DDO Acronyms: http://ddowiki.com/page/Glossary
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...78#post2326178

Just curious as to what happens to my capped fighter after 6 minutes? Which is less time than it takes to take out Harry . . . . and usually still have haste boosts and damage boosts left??? Or are you talking Kensai power surge?

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer View Post
    Fighters have the second highest of the 4 and while their damage is not situational like a Rogues, it can only be sustained for up to 6 minutes. With a high attack speed they are effective with weapons that apply effects to a mob like vorpals and stat damagers. Fighters damage is specialized in one weapon type and once they stop using it they lose a chunk of their DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by snakethejake View Post
    Just curious as to what happens to my capped fighter after 6 minutes? Which is less time than it takes to take out Harry . . . . and usually still have haste boosts and damage boosts left??? Or are you talking Kensai power surge?
    10 Fighter haste boosts can be activated one after another for 5 minutes (20 secs boosted, 10 cooldown), equipping lesser action boost enhancement (Verik's set) gives another 2 boosts enabling 6 minutes of straight haste boosts. Once you run out of haste boosts your maximum or 'burst' DPS can no longer be sustained.

Obviously you won't be activating them asap most of the time and they will last for longer but for the sake of DPS calculations that it how they are used.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezichiend View Post
    Depends on the mobs. I've rolled through wizard king on my wizard and got just about all the kills. My firewalls hit for 1200+ per tick against mummys when they crit. When they don't crit they kill them in a tick anyway.
    Come Amrath he's a haste and web bot.

End game, I have to agree with you, but levels 7-18 casters own. Maximized and Empowered firewall, Banish, WotB, and FoD > melee for trash. For bosses, get out the sticks. You can contribute DPS, use stuff like waves of exhaustion against bosses to debuff them, but melee is overwhelmingly the dominant dps against bosses with a bunch of immunities, deathward etc.

The only weaknesses for casters are some oozes/slimes, red named bosses, and blackbones levels 7-18.

If you are an offensive caster and you aren't at least being competitive, in non-raid quests before amrath there's something wrong. Your tool bag is incomplete, you don't have the gear you need, you took feats in the wrong order, the wrong feats, gimped your char, or you need to learn the game better and figure out what mobs are weak to which spells because you are using the wrong ones. (hint: firewall isn't the only spell you can use to kill stuff).

This should be true from the minute you hit level 7. My warforged wizard was soloing Menechtarun undead slayers at level 7 with no problems at all. I pulled both bloodstones I use on my other characters with him.

If you consistently run out of mana half way to the next shrine you are doing it wrong. Carry pots for quests with few shrines. I dump every mana pot I find on all of my characters into my wizard's inventory. He's got an orchard +100 SP helm (20 tapestries, also farmed solo, Totemic Lavalier with Magi) he uses to shrine/buff before switching out to minos legens, as well as a spell storing ring and lots of pots for emergencies. Sp management and having the DC/SR/potency/spell crit items you need is key. It's even more important to know which ones to use on which mobs with what spells. I believe I have more weapon sets on my wizard than I do on my exploiter. The rabbit hole is pretty deep with a caster.

Wizards and sorcs are the ultimate trash disposal units and can be very efficient when built and played properly. They are just tough to play well because it takes a good build and knowledge of what you are getting into to do it right. It's more important to know what doesn't work so you don't waste SP on useless stuff. I spent a lot of time going into quests solo to learn mobs before joining LFMs, mainly so I don't look like the type of wizard you are talking about in the parent.

It takes a lot of experimentation and game knowledge to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Consumer View Post

Imo the best DPS class atm would be and 18/2 TWF Barb/Fighter, not only do you have high sustained DPS but the 2 Fighter levels also give you the ability to haste boost increasing your burst DPS. You will also have very high HP and free damage reduction.
    Firstly really good summary and agree on all points except the one above. That build is fantasitc for norm/hard content but elite/epic its too hit is waaaay too low. You need to turn off PA killing alot of ur DPS potential.

N
    GROAN-1 (Melee/Casting Horc FVS)

Where Monks stand i dont really know.
    Only thing to add to this person's post; Monks can go anywhere from laughable to top shelf damage. Most classes have a fairly clear path laid out. If you want a DPS fighter you're a Kensii. If you want a DPS Ranger you're a Tempest. Monks have quite a bit more leverage in their AP choices.

If you want to deal serious Monk damage, though, you will get your ToD rings and TR for the monk past life feat ASAP.

This post is oh so wrong.
    Main DPS is melee.

The different melee classes perform differently against various monsters and fortifications.

Overall, highest unconditional DPS is Fighter Kensai, followed by Barbarian.
    Many multiclass builds have higher unconditional DPS than a Fighter. But, I'll assume you are talking about pure classes.
    Knight of the Chalice Paladins get their DPS into the region of the big 2 vs Evil Outsiders but less against other creatures.
    Pallys get their damage from smites and divine sacrifices
    Rogues do very high DPS when the monster's fortification is low and they dont have aggro (sneak attacks) - but their DPS crumbles with rising fortification.
    Rangers can hit just as hard against Favored Enemies as a Kensai with Strength Boost, and with 20% more offhand hits. Although they lose out on Fighter Speed Boosts. Against non favored enemes, they out class Clerics still, you are forgetting the 100% offhand +5% doublestrike.
    F O E C L E A V E R

Quote Originally Posted by Aurora1979 View Post
    your a melee and im a sorc. we are standing in a room with.... 10 orcs, each have..... 500 hp.

they surround me and i cast wail. some drop some dont. i cast it 3 times. and 1 polar ray. all trash are dead. Its taken me..... 250 sp to clear the room in..... 10 seconds. thats with a fairly standard capped char. No greensteel not many raid items, tomes etc.
    That's all fine and good when you're running Gianthold. Move into endgame content and Epic monsters, well, it's a much different picture.

Community Member English_Warrior's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THOTHdha View Post
    That's all fine and good when you're running Gianthold. Move into endgame content and Epic monsters, well, it's a much different picture.
    Yes...Im pretty sure that was his point...its all so situational as to make the question almost meaningless.
    Sarlona
    Main Toons = Alphasixsix - Blackbell - Ironsack - Deltasix - Ironflute
    Euro Refugee...both in game and out.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast