Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Community Member YakoSpiritFist's Avatar

I'm pretty excited to try out a repeater build. However i'm curious as to how well you guys do at spotting traps without putting any points into wisdom?
    Server: Argonnessen
    Guild: Noble By Design
    Characters: Vorlok (Human Bard/Fighter), Trollokk (Paladin/Monk)

Quote Originally Posted by YakoSpiritFist View Post
    I'm pretty excited to try out a repeater build. However i'm curious as to how well you guys do at spotting traps without putting any points into wisdom?
    Couldn't stop laughing...my guess you never played rogue in DDO
    Fairytales don't teach us that dragons exist, but rather that dragons can be beaten.

Quote Originally Posted by BelVic View Post
    Couldn't stop laughing...my guess you never played rogue in DDO
    You're right I have not. :P Oh and just to be clear i'm talking about spot not search. Incase that's what you thought.
    Last edited by YakoSpiritFist; 08-12-2010 at 10:18 AM.

In DDO you can have - (minus) 100 SPOT skill and still do all the traps...spot skill just make it convenient to see where is traps are.
    Without spot skill you can find them other ways :
    1> Ask other party member where is box for trap
    2> Remember where is trap box from previous running of this quest
    3> Throw halfling ( or dwarf) ahead and they will find trap for you hard way.
    After that all you need to get close by and use "search" skill.

More use "spot" skill considered for characters who is playing stealth sneaking so they can see invisible monsters. For finding traps it's bonus but not required.
    Fairytales don't teach us that dragons exist, but rather that dragons can be beaten.

Got it. Thank you for explaining.

NP...old picture from DDO comic back in time...if you want to smile a little bit

Quote Originally Posted by BelVic View Post
    In DDO you can have - (minus) 100 SPOT skill and still do all the traps...spot skill just make it convenient to see where is traps are.
    Without spot skill you can find them other ways :
    1> Ask other party member where is box for trap
    2> Remember where is trap box from previous running of this quest
    3> Throw halfling ( or dwarf) ahead and they will find trap for you hard way.
    4) Tell the party barbarian "Ooh look, something shiny on the other end of the corridor!"

(okay, a slight variation of the 3. maybe)
    Synaan : Synay : Synaya : Syngheal
    To lead is to follow your people.

Quote Originally Posted by Minttunator View Post
    Cool story, bro - and I mean that in the most sincere way possible. You're playing what you want and having fun doing it, more power to you!

agreed and that what D&D is about having fun not FTW most uber builds that every one else uses.

Community Member

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread "human, drow, or warforged."

Human and warforged both bring some really great things to the table. Human gives extra feats of course, at the very least. Warforged give all there little bonuses, Plus since you are going mechanic, you can give yourself a "free" regen effect in exchange for a skill boost.

However, i went drow for one reason and one reason only: dex/int. Dex of course helps your chance to hit. Always shiny with a rogue who has trouble hitting anyhow. And for the first 5 levels before you get repeaters, that turns out to be very helpful (take weapon finesse and drop it at level 6). Int however helps our damage, and since we are trap monkeys, high int also helps our main skill. No longer must we deside for ourselves "Should i max int and nerf str/damage, or should i balance them and take the penalty to my skills max." Now we can have both, and getting int to 18 is MUCH simpler with a drow then any other race. (20 is probably overkill. by level 7 i had all the many skills i wanted maxed and all the rest at 5 or so.)

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osma77 View Post
    However, i went drow for one reason and one reason only: dex/int. Dex of course helps your chance to hit.
    That's nice unless of course you have 32pt in which cause the "bonus" is completely nullified

Always shiny with a rogue who has trouble hitting anyhow.
    Never seen a rogue (especially a halfling) with problems hitting things...Crit/SA immune things sure...but that has nothing to do with to-hit

And for the first 5 levels before you get repeaters, that turns out to be very helpful (take weapon finesse and drop it at level 6)
    Thats an ok idea except taking a repeater prof instead make more sense...than drop it before taking the mechanic enhancement

Int however helps our damage, and since we are trap monkeys, high int also helps our main skill. No longer must we deside for ourselves "Should i max int and nerf str/damage, or should i balance them and take the penalty to my skills max."
    Strength does absolutely nothing for repeaters they are dex to-hit and thats it...they have NO damage stat....but mechanics add int to damage......the only thing Strength does is carrying capacity/avoid becoming helpless (which is really annoying because otherwise it would be a complete dump stat).

Now we can have both, and getting int to 18 is MUCH simpler with a drow then any other race. (20 is probably overkill. by level 7 i had all the many skills i wanted maxed and all the rest at 5 or so.)
    I give you 18 Int on a WF...I'll admit to you that you can get 20 on a drow but you would have to sacrifice something for it (ie.4 build points, crappy racials and loss of whatever bonus other races get)...and that -2 Con is deadly.

Warforged

Str 8+2(Tome) +4(Bull Str...pot/spell) = 14
    Dex 16+6(Item) +3(Tome) +2(Rogue) +3 (Exceptional) = 30
    Con 16+6(Item) +2(Tome) +2(WF) = 26
    Int 18 +6(Item) +3(Tome) +3(Wiz) +5(Lvls) +3(Exceptional) = 38
    Wis 6+2(Tome)
    Cha 6+2(Tome) +4(Eagle's Splendor) = 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Failedlegend View Post
    That's nice unless of course you have 32pt in which cause the "bonus" is completely nullified
    Completely nullified...?

Increasing dex to 15 & 16 costs the drow 1, and your WF 2

Increasing dex to 17 & 18 costs the drow 2, and your WF 3

Increasing dex to 19 & 20 costs the drow 3, and your WF...errr...doesn't

The drow has the advantage of having the threshold of cost increases increased by 2 for both dex and int...and is NOT nullified by 32pt builds.

The Mad Multiclasser Failedlegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by peterfrosty42 View Post
    Completely nullified...?

Increasing dex to 15 & 16 costs the drow 1, and your WF 2

Increasing dex to 17 & 18 costs the drow 2, and your WF 3

Increasing dex to 19 & 20 costs the drow 3, and your WF...errr...doesn't

The drow has the advantage of having the threshold of cost increases increased by 2 for both dex and int...and is NOT nullified by 32pt builds.
    Thats great except to make dex or int 20 (cant have both...not enough points) you'd end up with a stat spread like this

Drow

Str 8
    Dex 18/20
    Con 8
    Int 20/18
    Wis 8
    Cha 10

WF

Str 8
    Dex 16
    Con 16
    Int 18
    Wis 6
    Cha 6

That gets +1 Damage & +1 to-hit or +2 to-hit over my WF...and all you had to sacrifice was a large amount of HP...immunities....a useful AP line,etc. oh yeah I'm sorry your right drow are SOOOOOOO much better than a 32pt toon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    There is little value in getting into an edition debate; as with anything, we create what we believe works best for DDO.

Community Member

WF

Str 8
    Dex 16
    Con 16
    Int 18
    Wis 6
    Cha 6
    Wasn't sayin it's SOOOOOOOO much better. Just sayin it's not "completely nullified"...

My repeater drow stats don't look much like you posted...
    Str 10
    Dex 18
    Con 12
    Int 18
    Wis 8
    Cha 10

Comparatively -- Drow gets +1 to hit ranged & melee (w/ finesse), +1 melee damage, +2 UMD/intim/diplo, and +1 will save. Not really saying the WF is a bad choice by any means...just sayin 32pt builds don't nullify a slight stat advantage...depends on your intended focus imho

Of course, my drow will have 40 less HPs, and -2 Fort save, but I'm not in the middle till agro is established. WF immunities are meh...and I can further supplement my rapier damage/toHit if I choose.

I ended picking drow, even with having 32pt access. Your mileage may vary...hope the WF works out for ya

Well I rolled one up.

Halfling - 32 points
    Chaotic Good

Str 8 - "6 is just to low 8 is bad enough"
    Dex 17 - Could be 18 if I was a 34 point build, but i'm not.
    Con 14
    Int 18
    Wis 8
    Cha 8

I put my skill points into search, spot, jump, swim, tumble, disable device, open lock, UMD, Haggle, Hide, Move Silently,& Balance.

For Feats I went Point Blank Shot, and then Rapid shot at level 3. At level 6 i'll most likely either take precise shot or toughness.

For enhancements I pretty much only got what is required to take Mechanic 1. I'm still trying to decide where to put the extra points.

Anyway I went vet status and leveled to 5 with a +1 Acid Densewood light cross bow of pure good. On normal mode the cross bow hits pretty good. On elite though I get a lot of misses and typicaly go through a lot of bolts. So I was wondering if once you get mechanic 1 and a decent repeater if the build improves much? It's kind of a pain right now and i'm trying to decide it it's worth going all the way with it.

My Dex and Int are both at 20 right now. Thank you ahead of time.
    Last edited by YakoSpiritFist; 08-13-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread "human, drow, or warforged."

Human and warforged both bring some really great things to the table. Human gives extra feats of course, at the very least. Warforged give all there little bonuses, Plus since you are going mechanic, you can give yourself a "free" regen effect in exchange for a skill boost.

However, i went drow for one reason and one reason only: dex/int. Dex of course helps your chance to hit. Always shiny with a rogue who has trouble hitting anyhow. And for the first 5 levels before you get repeaters, that turns out to be very helpful (take weapon finesse and drop it at level 6). Int however helps our damage, and since we are trap monkeys, high int also helps our main skill. No longer must we deside for ourselves "Should i max int and nerf str/damage, or should i balance them and take the penalty to my skills max." Now we can have both, and getting int to 18 is MUCH simpler with a drow then any other race. (20 is probably overkill. by level 7 i had all the many skills i wanted maxed and all the rest at 5 or so.)
    Thanks Osma77! I did decide to go with Human for the extra feat and higher HP potential, as I'll be soloing a little bit in between static guild nights. WF definitely would have made a lot of sense, especially from a soloing-self-healing standpoint, but I'm a little tired of playing WF right now Drow still held me for a bit for all the reasons you mentioned, but the racial enhancements are horrible and I really have never played a Human character.

So far so good, but I am more in TWF mode until Mechanic I comes along. Although with all the extra feats afforded me, I went ahead and picked-up Heavy Repeater from the start and will swap it out once I hit Mechanic I and get Light Repeater for free, or Mechanic II (I haven't decided yet).

Antikytherah is certainly not uber, but very fun to play when in a group. There's a Repeater Bard in my static group as well, and we have so much fun plugging things full of holes. And with Diplo maxed out, the Sneak Attack is awesome...especially with a Flaming Heavy Repeater of Backstabbing
    Quote Originally Posted by 404error View Post
    there will always be bugs in DDO it will never be bug free at any point in its lifetime.

Community Member

Strength does absolutely nothing for repeaters they are dex to-hit and thats it...they have NO damage stat....but mechanics add int to damage......the only thing Strength does is carrying capacity/avoid becoming helpless (which is really annoying because otherwise it would be a complete dump stat).
    You misunderstand. What i mean is that with a non-repeater, you have to deside if you are going to nerf str to 10 or less (probably a bad idea) in order to get int high, or if you are going to balance them. However, with the update, repeaters can now totally not have to worry about it at all; they can just max int without worry and keep str very low (how low is based almost entirely on how much they worry about carry weight.)

I was going to wait until I hit 20 before posting my repeater build but I am running into a big decision and I am not sure which way I want to go.

"The Professional"
    Race: Drow (the only race that will give me 20int)
    Starting stats
    Str 8
    Dex 16
    Con 12
    Int 20 + lvl ups (for max dps and full rogue skills)
    Wis 8
    Cha 10

My initial plan was to go 6rogue/14fighter, however the ranger dwsniper looks like it could add a lot of short term dps to a repeater. I assume the PrE ehn boost only lasts 1 min and that I will only get 5 of them so I am just not sure if it is worth giving up steady kensai II damage.

I am now trying to decide if
    6r/14f
    6r/12f/2wiz (for int enhancement)
    or
    6r/6f/8ranger

Any thoughts

Asymetric War, my old main from Khyber, was a repeater build. it was a ton of fun before they nerfed the distance at which you could sneak attack from ranged. I'm not at all convinced the build is viable since that nerf went into place but if you're having fun then go for it!
    DDO Rogue FAQ: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=244964
    Find me on Cannith: Level 20's: Scathach (x2) / Boudicca / Caileach / Fhirdhia / Cuchulain / Maedb (x2) / Dagdha

http://my.ddo.com/character/khyber/anjing/

was built from the original Calamity Jane build by Sigtrent. cap was 14 when i started her and never made it pasted 15 when cap went to 16. if i could ever get her to 20 i would probably TR her to the updated Calamity Jane build.
    "I stab and chop and punch at will. I wear a skirt that's called a kilt. Don't have a beard but I'm Scottish still. 'Cause I'm the William Wallace."

Thx for the part about rof speed. I did trade precision for rapid shot though I'm not sure yet whether or not I'd rather have precision. The increase in shots does provide a little extra difficulty in lost shots but I find that if I take my finger off the firing button during reloads I lose fewer shots. Part of the shot loss seems to be related to the angle of your opponent to you also. These builds are quite impressive in range damage output and were even before the update. I really enjoy playing mine.

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast