Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BurningDownTheHouse View Post
    Stay at the beginning and pike for all I care, but if the LFM says "don't die" it means just that.
    It's a good deal, you do nothing and get xp.
    Just don't cost ME any xp in the process.

Yes, I know that the crowd this is aimed at, doesn't read this. I don't care.
    This is a good place to vent.

Peace and love to you all.
    Does this mean any time you've died it was intentional because the LFM didn't say "don't die"?

It is human nature to want to help, and be productive in a group. If you wish for less deaths, then perhaps you should work on your leadership skills, or be more adamant about staying at the entrance.

I usually don't die, and I have been the sole survivor to save the day in many pug quests. The ones that listen to me on the quests I know have no deaths, but you know... stuff happens. When I play a cleric, this only happens if I am dead, out of mana, or sperated...and yes... stuff happens then too.

The huge xp loss argument is null and void since a good player will not let this happen on every quest. Yes you take a loss sometimes, but this is a social game after all.

There is a huge player base now, and if you truly wish to have better players at end level, then please take the time to 'light the way'. If a man is hungry, you can give him food, but if you teach him to farm, you can feed the world; for he will pass on what he has learned. There are far too many players who rely too heavily on healers, and far too many healers who spend no coin on wands and scrolls these days.

I have seen far too many posts stating, know the way / in progress / have a clue / no noobs. I have yet to see something stating, good xp quest join to learn it / all welcome newer players lead / if you think you are good learn to zerg with vets! The last one is what I would really like to see, because how can you be expected to zerg the shroud, if you cannot zerg water works?

Most new players I have encountered are adults, and over 30; please do not treat them as children. This is a game after all, and we are all here to have fun.

If you are truly trying to help others, then please find the wisdom behind my words, and do not take offense to my statement. I only wish to aid in the long term developement of a game I love.
    Jyn... Kender... Thelanis

*Insert clever comment here*

Quote Originally Posted by Mecholi22 View Post
    There is no emotion, there is peace. There is no ignorance, there is knowledge. There is no passion, there is serenity. There is no death, there is the Force.lol.. it sounded like you were going to say this..lol
    No, but I might in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJi72 View Post
    Most new players I have encountered are adults, and over 30; please do not treat them as children. This is a game after all, and we are all here to have fun.
    No.
    In fact children are generally more respectful of authority (people with the star) than new players are.
    Children generally listen better and learn more quickly than new DDO players (trust me I work in education).
    Adults are not outright rude to children (bright ones aren't at least), but we are rude to new players when they deserve it.
    Both new players and children have trouble reading directions (think worksheets and lfms)
    Both children and new players can be know-nothings, that know-it-all.

So why oh why should we not treat adults like children when they act in such a way that makes us wonder
    how they navigated the website,
    downloaded the game,
    and created an account,
    without dying.

If this offends anyone then, well you are grounded from DDO until you listening and/or playing skills improve.
    ________________One of Two Kings_________________
    *Runix*Lazarath*Drednauht*Slaadi*Malrauthin*Umaru*

Stay at the beginning and pike for all I care, but if the LFM says "don't die" it means just that.
    It's a good deal, you do nothing and get xp.
    Just don't cost ME any xp in the process.

Yes, I know that the crowd this is aimed at, doesn't read this. I don't care.
    This is a good place to vent.

Peace and love to you all.

I did a thread like this...lol...people think you are being an elitist when you are just frustrated.

I was running sins of attrition as a loot run for a long time...I opened it to people who wanted to loot run it, in progress, 'please don't die. bring a toon that can survive, loot runners, not gimps, etc'

in almost all cases got first time visitors to the dungeon, people bringing their squishiest toons, and I had to carry them to the shrines. It is annoying to say the least. Not elitist, it is annoying.

What must they think? LFM: Zerg, know quest, loot run, only experienced, bring your strongest toon, know quest
    What they think: "hmm, I never did that before, let me jump in with my 100 hp rogue, ask where it is, get lost finding it, then get lost in quest and die a lot trying to find them"

best answer I ever got from someone who was mad that I did not let them join was 'sure, I am new and die a lot, but you said loot run....I can open a chest just like anyone else....."

<good ole thelanis>
    Cannon fodder build The Stalwart Defender, Raid Tank
    Worst Shroud PUG EVER!!!!!! Epic Fail (started 1/13/10, necro'd 3/9/10, 4/20/10, raised dead 3/ 9/11, necro'd 4/9/11, 5/28/11, fame petition necro 8/5/11, necro'd 9/30/11, KIA 10/3/11, True reincarnated famed (by cleric Cordovan) 10/4/11,

You are right, serves me right for trying to help others while I level...
    Quote Originally Posted by Correlan View Post
    I don't think you get the OP's point, he's trying to give away free xp, as the kind, big hearted player he is trying to be... when someone enters a quest, try's to help, then promptly dies, this cost both players 10%. You may say, what 10%? i'll simplify it for you.
    He's not helping if he wants people to sit by the quest entrance while he solos the quest.

There are some vets who would appreciate the free XP and not be harmed by it, but they are probably off soloing quests themselves on their TRs...

New players will learn nothing, not get to learn the dungeon layout, and will advance to the higher levels while remaining noobs.

You're not helping other players or the game in general by handing out free exp while you solo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaldaka View Post
    Hmm ... I dunno 'bout this one.

You let puggers in your group and they will die ... its a fact. You don't want puggers who will die, don't invite puggers at all. You want company? Use chat channels, send tells to guilds that you know have good players in them, etc. just don't throw up an LFM that says 'Don't die', cuz you ain't gonna get what you want.
    This.

Don't worry about 'being nice' ... If you really want to be nice, invite them in and let them know the proper way to do the quest so they *can* zerg it the next time.
    Especially this.
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

OP having the same problem on Argo, in fact enjoyed reading the thread as alot of the thoughts echoed my own.

The thing is yes everything is easily soloable most of the way up...but it takes longer and when you are doing multiple trs back to back you just dont want that 10% pen. 3 Live players I find is about perfect. This is my normal party set up when im playing off hours or there are no channel/guild peeps on.

Line-up

1. (Me) - Main Box caster
    2. (Me piking) - Second box Main toon - Groan
    3. (Optional Guy)Strong Self suff Player playing melee/caster
    4. (Box breaker/trap guy)
    5. Attrition Spots for # 3/4, Piker
    6. Attrition Spots for # 3/4, piker

Roles

#1.(Me) I always put the onus on myself to do the heavy lifting in a quest. I will generally clear the quest as fast as possible.
    #2.(Me piking) My main stands and leeches xp.
    #3.(Optional Guy) This is ur go to guy. The guy that knows the optionals is self suf and can get them in a timely manner while Im clearing the quest.
    #4 (Box breaker/trap guy) Rog/boxbreaker is a vital addition - up to 30% extra xp from this guy alone. Takes a special kind of player that doesnt mind disabling and breaking stuff. Another xp TR junkie is you're best bet.
    #5 and #6 tend to be cycled through often. Those two spots are generally there too find suitable candidates for optional guy or box breaker/trap guy. Second stringers.

Note: Im not a w@nker about it but this is what goes through my mind from an efficiency standpoint. I generally tell them why exactly we skip or do certain things so they can zerg better themselves the next time. Also those are the main roles -anything else they bring to the table is a bonus.

*Ways to maintain efficiency, group cohesion and lack of deaths. (Making them do what they are supposed to do)
    1. Very aggressive lfms. Typical Layout is this. "'XXXX' xp sack. BYOH. MUST KNW WAY! No sharing. Not noob friendly." This typically discourages the players that are realistic about their suckiness(Which is a shame as I actually like this variety of pugger...just not when im zerging). Which pretty much leaves peeps whom think they are good and are (which is great), or peeps who think they are good and arnt (which is a problem). Getting rid of the latter might take a quest.
    2. Be firm with the boot button Initially. They type 'share' they are gone. If they run a quest with you and arnt obnoxious but are dying and generally messing things up I will send them a tell asking them to leave and wishing them good luck. I dont cuss at them in Voice chat nor do I boot at this stage. They are people after all - we just have different playing needs is all.
    3. Let them know their role upfront. I will advertise for a boxbreaker/trap monkey and have no compunctions about letting them know they arent performing what they need to do.
    4. Get in front of them(Fewer deaths) Im really always main boxing a caster and have got a couple of tricks to to help cement agro on me. Initial sight agro is great followed up by death aura(if on wiz life) or intimidate (if on sorc) as I run past to coral them up to be nuked. Anybody that can get in front of me in zerg mode can definately handle themselves.

I guess leading a pug is alot like casual sex. Be clear what you're after, let them do their thing, but be firm about it, and let the good times roll. And if they misbehave tell them to GTFO, but nicely, as you never know when you're gonna need them again.

N
    GROAN-1 (Melee/Casting Horc FVS)

Quote Originally Posted by nick_robinsonchia View Post
    I guess leading a pug is alot like casual sex. Be clear what you're after, let them do their thing, but be firm about it, and let the good times roll. And if they misbehave tell them to GTFO, but nicely, as you never know when you're gonna need them again.
    Quote of the month?

N
    Don't forget a condom! uhm, I mean BYOH!
    /ex-Aureon

witty comment about your mother goes here

This, is the most awesome thing I have ever read on a forum. evar

Can I use that I my sig?
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorWhofan View Post
    DDDDDddddddDDDOOOOOOOooooOOOODOOOOOOMMMMMMmmmmmMMM MM!!!111!!!!!1!

Community Member BurningDownTheHouse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aashrym View Post
    Does this mean any time you've died it was intentional because the LFM didn't say "don't die"?
    When I post one of those "don't die" lfms, I don't die. Call it lead by example if you want...
    I know better than to post for somthing I can't handle.
    Last edited by BurningDownTheHouse; 08-02-2010 at 06:22 PM.
    Incinirate/Scracher/Pulverize/Saave/Intimidate/Extterminate/Assacinate/Dismemberr.
    Officer of Pestilence.
    --A Xorian invader to Thelanis--
    Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    Lailat is just a loot pinyata.

Damn man, you have a way with similes!!!

Here's a hearty +1.

P.S. Thanks for the advice.
    Last edited by BurningDownTheHouse; 08-03-2010 at 06:01 AM.
    Incinirate/Scracher/Pulverize/Saave/Intimidate/Extterminate/Assacinate/Dismemberr.
    Officer of Pestilence.

Community Member

Default rtfm

most death, are not attributable to the "lag monster" nor the "roll of 1"
    As I can't say it any better than the crawl across chat yesterday;
    "I do a ton of dmg though if I could have stayed alive it wouldn't have been an issue.
    can I release?"

They are not going to read anything much less your LFM listing.

You are pretty much getting what you ask for.

"don't die" is about the most silly PUG instruction I can think of. The kind of folks likely to answer such a siren call to arms are just as likely to die as not. Especially if, as you claim, you are trying to offer folks free XP. It's a nice thought but the folks that are unlikely to die in a given quest where you aren't employing team-work are likely to just do the quest on their own and not to wait for you to start it for them.

The only folks likely to tag along are either just want the company, or who can't manage the quest and are relying on you to do it for them, and such folks are not known for their patience or skill.

If you are offering free buss rides, you should expect a number of bums to jump on board.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Damn man, you have a way with metaphors!!!
    Technically, it was a Simile, not a Metaphor.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    Technically, it was a Simile, not a Metaphor.
    Noted and edited.
    Officer of Pestilence.

I can't count the number of times well intentioned would-be questers have ****ed up my xp's. Then sit, like morons, inside the quest after everyone has recalled thinking that I'm going to come back and rez them for ****ing me out of 10p. Recall, break group because what's his name is too stupid to get it.
    Lysol, Winner of the Award for Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence

Quote Originally Posted by weyoun View Post
    I can't count the number of times well intentioned would-be questers have ****ed up my xp's. Then sit, like morons, inside the quest after everyone has recalled thinking that I'm going to come back and rez them for ****ing me out of 10p. Recall, break group because what's his name is too stupid to get it.
    Oh, come now, this a "peace and love" thread, please don't ruin it.
    Officer of Pestilence.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    -1 for being inflammatory and derogatory
    +1 for being so eloquent... and multilingual!!
    Khyber
    R e v e n a n t s Renowned
    Thelanis

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast