Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nick_robinsonchia View Post
    OP having the same problem on Argo, in fact enjoyed reading the thread as alot of the thoughts echoed my own.

The thing is yes everything is easily soloable most of the way up...but it takes longer and when you are doing multiple trs back to back you just dont want that 10% pen. 3 Live players I find is about perfect. This is my normal party set up when im playing off hours or there are no channel/guild peeps on.

Line-up

1. (Me) - Main Box caster
    2. (Me piking) - Second box Main toon - Groan
    3. (Optional Guy)Strong Self suff Player playing melee/caster
    4. (Box breaker/trap guy)
    5. Attrition Spots for # 3/4, Piker
    6. Attrition Spots for # 3/4, piker

Roles

#1.(Me) I always put the onus on myself to do the heavy lifting in a quest. I will generally clear the quest as fast as possible.
    #2.(Me piking) My main stands and leeches xp.
    #3.(Optional Guy) This is ur go to guy. The guy that knows the optionals is self suf and can get them in a timely manner while Im clearing the quest.
    #4 (Box breaker/trap guy) Rog/boxbreaker is a vital addition - up to 30% extra xp from this guy alone. Takes a special kind of player that doesnt mind disabling and breaking stuff. Another xp TR junkie is you're best bet.
    #5 and #6 tend to be cycled through often. Those two spots are generally there too find suitable candidates for optional guy or box breaker/trap guy. Second stringers.

Note: Im not a w@nker about it but this is what goes through my mind from an efficiency standpoint. I generally tell them why exactly we skip or do certain things so they can zerg better themselves the next time. Also those are the main roles -anything else they bring to the table is a bonus.

*Ways to maintain efficiency, group cohesion and lack of deaths. (Making them do what they are supposed to do)
    1. Very aggressive lfms. Typical Layout is this. "'XXXX' xp sack. BYOH. MUST KNW WAY! No sharing. Not noob friendly." This typically discourages the players that are realistic about their suckiness(Which is a shame as I actually like this variety of pugger...just not when im zerging). Which pretty much leaves peeps whom think they are good and are (which is great), or peeps who think they are good and arnt (which is a problem). Getting rid of the latter might take a quest.
    2. Be firm with the boot button Initially. They type 'share' they are gone. If they run a quest with you and arnt obnoxious but are dying and generally messing things up I will send them a tell asking them to leave and wishing them good luck. I dont cuss at them in Voice chat nor do I boot at this stage. They are people after all - we just have different playing needs is all.
    3. Let them know their role upfront. I will advertise for a boxbreaker/trap monkey and have no compunctions about letting them know they arent performing what they need to do.
    4. Get in front of them(Fewer deaths) Im really always main boxing a caster and have got a couple of tricks to to help cement agro on me. Initial sight agro is great followed up by death aura(if on wiz life) or intimidate (if on sorc) as I run past to coral them up to be nuked. Anybody that can get in front of me in zerg mode can definately handle themselves.

I guess leading a pug is alot like casual sex. Be clear what you're after, let them do their thing, but be firm about it, and let the good times roll. And if they misbehave tell them to GTFO, but nicely, as you never know when you're gonna need them again.

N
    good post Nick. I do something similar... but have 2 piking toons. Have 2 friends running and don't bother with lfms. One of them sometimes 2-boxes, and we 3man (5 or 6 toons) everything.
    Khyber
    R e v e n a n t s Renowned
    Thelanis

Default Oh Come on!

The truth is if you really want to not lose the 10%, the best thing to do is not worry about it!

Do you actually think you are helping the situation by putting pressure on eveyrone to 'not die' for a measly 10% xp?

It is more likely putting everyone 10% more 'on edge' and that much more likely to get you the -10%.

IMO.. putting 'pls no -10%' in the LFM is fine. Making a big deal about it if it happens is not helping anyone, and is probably making more people likely to screw up and/or forget something stupid/important that will lead to the death.

I think we're a little past the point of complete idiots joining and dying in these groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Daggertooth View Post
    The truth is if you really want to not lose the 10%, the best thing to do is not worry about it!

Do you actually think you are helping the situation by putting pressure on eveyrone to 'not die' for a measly 10% xp?

It is more likely putting everyone 10% more 'on edge' and that much more likely to get you the -10%.

IMO.. putting 'pls no -10%' in the LFM is fine. Making a big deal about it if it happens is not helping anyone, and is probably making more people likely to screw up and/or forget something stupid/important that will lead to the death.

I think we're a little past the point of complete idiots joining and dying in these groups.
    hee hee

a pee'd a lil
    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Math never helps solve problems, it only further complicates them. Far too often players use it as a tool to push there own agenda and twist numbers to cause strife where its not due.

Quote Originally Posted by nick_robinsonchia View Post
    OP having the same problem on Argo, in fact enjoyed reading the thread as alot of the thoughts echoed my own.

The thing is yes everything is easily soloable most of the way up...but it takes longer and when you are doing multiple trs back to back you just dont want that 10% pen. 3 Live players I find is about perfect. This is my normal party set up when im playing off hours or there are no channel/guild peeps on.

Line-up

1. (Me) - Main Box caster
    2. (Me piking) - Second box Main toon - Groan
    3. (Optional Guy)Strong Self suff Player playing melee/caster
    4. (Box breaker/trap guy)
    5. Attrition Spots for # 3/4, Piker
    6. Attrition Spots for # 3/4, piker

Roles

#1.(Me) I always put the onus on myself to do the heavy lifting in a quest. I will generally clear the quest as fast as possible.
    #2.(Me piking) My main stands and leeches xp.
    #3.(Optional Guy) This is ur go to guy. The guy that knows the optionals is self suf and can get them in a timely manner while Im clearing the quest.
    #4 (Box breaker/trap guy) Rog/boxbreaker is a vital addition - up to 30% extra xp from this guy alone. Takes a special kind of player that doesnt mind disabling and breaking stuff. Another xp TR junkie is you're best bet.
    #5 and #6 tend to be cycled through often. Those two spots are generally there too find suitable candidates for optional guy or box breaker/trap guy. Second stringers.

Note: Im not a w@nker about it but this is what goes through my mind from an efficiency standpoint. I generally tell them why exactly we skip or do certain things so they can zerg better themselves the next time. Also those are the main roles -anything else they bring to the table is a bonus.

*Ways to maintain efficiency, group cohesion and lack of deaths. (Making them do what they are supposed to do)
    1. Very aggressive lfms. Typical Layout is this. "'XXXX' xp sack. BYOH. MUST KNW WAY! No sharing. Not noob friendly." This typically discourages the players that are realistic about their suckiness(Which is a shame as I actually like this variety of pugger...just not when im zerging). Which pretty much leaves peeps whom think they are good and are (which is great), or peeps who think they are good and arnt (which is a problem). Getting rid of the latter might take a quest.
    2. Be firm with the boot button Initially. They type 'share' they are gone. If they run a quest with you and arnt obnoxious but are dying and generally messing things up I will send them a tell asking them to leave and wishing them good luck. I dont cuss at them in Voice chat nor do I boot at this stage. They are people after all - we just have different playing needs is all.
    3. Let them know their role upfront. I will advertise for a boxbreaker/trap monkey and have no compunctions about letting them know they arent performing what they need to do.
    4. Get in front of them(Fewer deaths) Im really always main boxing a caster and have got a couple of tricks to to help cement agro on me. Initial sight agro is great followed up by death aura(if on wiz life) or intimidate (if on sorc) as I run past to coral them up to be nuked. Anybody that can get in front of me in zerg mode can definately handle themselves.

I guess leading a pug is alot like casual sex. Be clear what you're after, let them do their thing, but be firm about it, and let the good times roll. And if they misbehave tell them to GTFO, but nicely, as you never know when you're gonna need them again.

N
    Gotta spread more rep around...blah blah blah...

That last paragraph was 100% pure genius
    Bacab Warforged 18 Arty (Active) Hjealer Dwarven Battle Cleric 10CLR/1FTR
    Atropine Human 11 WIZ/1ROG (Active)
    Member of THACO on Ghallanda

Quote Originally Posted by BurningDownTheHouse View Post
    You are right, serves me right for trying to help others while I level...
    I disagree with your statement. Having them just stand there does nothing for the learning process. In fact the argument could be made that they would learn more in the mistake that caused the death.

Community Member SpanishBlueEyes's Avatar

I think if you are learning a quest then maybe you shouldnt join a group that says dont die. To me it is a lil common sense. If you dont know what to do what is the problem with asking what you should be doing if you wanted to join that persons group. All the people complaining about how his lfm isnt teaching and he shouldnt complain need to go somewhere. because no where did it say in his lfm or his complaint that he was trying to teach anyone anything. if you expect everyone to teach you something then you need to let your leader know that you are trying to learn the quest. but dont just jump in and expect everyone to read your mind or know instantly that you are new/learning.
    Rakellalea, Razakiller, Spritefire, Eekk THELANIS
    Originally Posted by eclipsechild
    My problem is getting worse. I tried to involve her, so I rolled a human female barbarian two handed tank with low Int and named it after her. What did I do wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBoy View Post
    I disagree with your statement. Having them just stand there does nothing for the learning process. In fact the argument could be made that hey would learn more in the mistake that caused the death.
    /Ranton
    Missing the point. The LFM did not say I want to teach the server how to do this quest please join so I can show you. It said you can join but either come run and have fun with out dieng or sit your happy a$$ at the entrance. It is not a vets job to always teach the noobs. I do a lot of pugging and help out too many noobs. But when I want to zerg a quest and I open it for other vets to come in and take advantage it ****es you off when someone joins, says yes I am self sufficient runs off and dies. The worst is when they die slowly and you can see it coming.
    75%
    Rev: come back ill give you a heal
    pug: I got it just looking for my pots
    50%
    Rev: you sure you got it? I can throw you a heal. Want me to come to you
    Pug: nope Im good
    25%
    Rev: I am on my way don't move.
    Pug: Ok ill come to
    Rev: NO don't move
    Pug DING!!!
    !@#@# hole mother @!$% ^ sucker $ %@# licker #% %!##
    OMG Why do I pug. Then come on the forums and read self righteous pricks talking about how it is our fault as vets. We need to do more to teach and be more patient. **** that!!!
    Notice I wrote pug in lower case and made sure I was above them, that shows how much of an elitists A-hole I am.
    Last edited by ace_mason; 08-04-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    Leader of PESTILENCE!!Loot whoring is our business and business is GOOD! Revrend Band.
    "I would never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man."

If you are trying to help people, then actually help them. Having people pike at the start of your quest does nothing, in fact, it is worse for the community because it helps level up people who don't actually know what they're doing.

When I was around level 9 I started running with a great warforged caster who piked me through a ton of stuff. At first I though it was great, I leveled so quickly! But I came to realize that I was just running after him, letting him kill things, and not actually learning anything. I didn't learn where traps or secret doors were. I didn't learn when mobs spawned. I didn't learn the best routes. Once I got around to running those quests again on another toon I took the time to learn them, and when running with people who knew them well, I asked them to explain to me what they were doing any who, so that I would understand for next time.

Yes, it's frustrating to lose the xp, but if you explain things properly it will be a lot less likely to happen. If you can't do that, then just don't create parties.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishBlueEyes View Post
    I think if you are learning a quest then maybe you shouldnt join a group that says dont die. To me it is a lil common sense. If you dont know what to do what is the problem with asking what you should be doing if you wanted to join that persons group. All the people complaining about how his lfm isnt teaching and he shouldnt complain need to go somewhere. because no where did it say in his lfm or his complaint that he was trying to teach anyone anything. if you expect everyone to teach you something then you need to let your leader know that you are trying to learn the quest. but dont just jump in and expect everyone to read your mind or know instantly that you are new/learning.
    +1 rep.
    Leader of PESTILENCE!!Loot whoring is our business and business is GOOD! Revrend Band.

Quote Originally Posted by ace_mason View Post
    /Ranton
    Missing the point. The LFM did not say I want to teach the server how to do this quest please join so I can show you.
    Alright, point taken, you don't want to teach. That's fine. But make that clear. I guess I don't really understand why you're accepting random puggers if you're only looking for a specific kind of player.

Quote Originally Posted by Chette View Post
    If you are trying to help people, then actually help them. Having people pike at the start of your quest does nothing, in fact, it is worse for the community because it helps level up people who don't actually know what they're doing.

When I was around level 9 I started running with a great warforged caster who piked me through a ton of stuff. At first I though it was great, I leveled so quickly! But I came to realize that I was just running after him, letting him kill things, and not actually learning anything. I didn't learn where traps or secret doors were. I didn't learn when mobs spawned. I didn't learn the best routes. Once I got around to running those quests again on another toon I took the time to learn them, and when running with people who knew them well, I asked them to explain to me what they were doing any who, so that I would understand for next time.

Yes, it's frustrating to lose the xp, but if you explain things properly it will be a lot less likely to happen. If you can't do that, then just don't create parties.
    -1 rep. I wish people would learn to read.

Alright, point taken, you don't want to teach. That's fine. But make that clear. I guess I don't really understand why you're accepting random puggers if you're only looking for a specific kind of player.

I do teach. I am very very clear in my LFM's. If i am in the mood to help out with knowledge I will post the lfm accordingly. But when I am in the mood to zerg I put up an lfm that says just that. ZERGING, DONT DIE, BYOH, KNOW THE WAY. This mean today I am not your teacher I am a guy who is playing the game I pay 15.00 a month for and if anyone wants some free xp come join. BUT DONT ****ING DIE!!!!.
    Last edited by Tarrant; 08-05-2010 at 09:38 AM.

He's not accepting random puggers. He's accepting puggers who are self-sufficient and know how to NOT DIE. That's the reason for the little blurb you can create to describe your party.

If you start a party that requests "NO ZERGERS", and someone joins then zergs to the end, would you be mad? I bet you would.
    "And you ate an apple, and I ate a pear,
    From a dozen of each we had bought somewhere;
    And the sky went wan, and the wind came cold,
    And the sun rose dripping, a bucketful of gold. " - Millay

OMG Why do I pug.
    Yes, why? You're in this friggin game for nearly 5 years, you should have a friendlist from here to Rarotonga, besides guild connections, custom chat channels etc. Why the hell do you PUG? Please, you're so uber, if you don't want to deal with people not as great as you please just solo, you will do yourself and the rest of the community the greatest possible favor. And perhaps it's time to realize that the times when the complete WHO-List was just as uber as you and you knew every alt of every player are over. You can word your lfm whatever you want, there will always be players who overestimate themselves. Learn to live with it, draw the consequences and either stop pugging or stop taking yourself and this friggin' game so friggin' seriously. Because you're not, and this game isn't either.

Notice I wrote pug in lower case and made sure I was above them, that shows how much of an elitists A-hole I am.
    I couldn't have said it better. You're so right.

If you start a party that requests "NO ZERGERS", and someone joins then zergs to the end, would you be mad?
    No. I would put him on my DNG list, recall and reform. I would certainly not whine about a ridiculous XP loss, insult him the worst way possible and come to the forums and whine about him. It's just not worth the effort. And after all - there's still a human being on the other end of the line. Perhaps an idiot, perhaps an a-hole, perhaps the worst player ever. But still a human being, who didn't exactly shoot my grandpa or rape my sister, but did nothing but cost me a few lousy XP in a video game. Some people should really reconsider their priorities.

Community Member

Ah, jeez...

Read the LFM, folks. If it applies to you, join. If not, then stay the **** away.

More to the point, what makes some of you think that you're ENTITLED to a vet's time to hold your hand through a quest? If you want to learn a quest's various ins and outs, then bloody well go in solo and learn it the hard way (just like about 80% of the Vets did!!!). Expecting a Vet player to sacrifice his/her time to make YOU happy is more selfish than you claim these supposed elitist vets are.

Learn the game on your own or find these same Vets when THEY'RE in the mood to teach. You're not entitled to another player's game time, nor are you in any position to steer their gaming habits to suit you.

Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by SpanishBlueEyes View Post
    /Ranton
    Missing the point. The LFM did not say I want to teach the server how to do this quest please join so I can show you. It said you can join but either come run and have fun with out dieng or sit your happy a$$ at the entrance. It is not a vets job to always teach the noobs. I do a lot of pugging and help out too many noobs. But when I want to zerg a quest and I open it for other vets to come in and take advantage it ****es you off when someone joins, says yes I am self sufficient runs off and dies. The worst is when they die slowly and you can see it coming.
    75%
    50%
    25%
    Pug DING!!!
    OMG Why do I pug. Then come on the forums and read self righteous pricks talking about how it is our fault as vets. We need to do more to teach and be more patient. **** that!!!

You both fail. What I took issue with was that exact statement of "You are right, serves me right for trying to help others while I level... "

I could careless if you were trying to teach them or not, but then I'm not the ones putting up LFMs saying "don't die" I just solo it.

By the way just a simple question for both of you. Have you never died in this game from any reason at all?

Community Member

I like what the OP is doing. He's definitely doing a favor to people. The fact that people join and then don't know the quest, expect healed, etc. is the reason that several groups around a month or two after F2P came out (at least I think that was the time frame) said TR only. It's just a different level of expectations for people that are trying to maximize xp/time than people that are playing just to play and the people that were already on TR's at that point were the ones that were trying for that max xp/time.

On a side note, that post about the ideal group for this offers an interesting opportunity for role play...you could have a mechanic rogue that loathes fighting and just sticks to the shadows, busting up the place while disabling the traps. Could be fun from a RP perspective.

Community Member

I always wondered how such incompetent players and ineffective characters were getting past low levels...

It's not exactly fun when you get a level 12 group together assuming that, by this point, the people involved have some idea of how to play and how their character works. This assumption has been proven wrong again and again, unfortunately.

By giving free xp away to people for not actually doing the quests, you're making life harder for those of us who have to play with them later, since they've never actually been challenged enough to learn how to play smart. While I applaud your generosity, I cannot help but feel that it is misguided. "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

/Ranton
    75%
    50%
    25%
    Pug DING!!!
    Don't pug then. Seriously.

Look, no one is saying vets HAVE to teach newbs... We're saying, if you don't feel like teaching, don't bring them along. You're not helping any newbies by making them sit at the entrance... All you're doing to making things tougher for the rest of us when we have to group with them at level 17.

I would suggest that the LFM should read "experienced only... know the quest"... "Don't die" could be construed as "experienced only", but it's not as clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh_Troll View Post
    We are no more d000m'd then we were a week ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eth View Post
    When you stop caring about xp/min this game becomes really fun. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_Gygax
    No single character has all the skills and resources needed to guarantee success in all endeavors; favorable results can usually only be achieved through group effort. No single player character wins, in the sense that he or she defeats all other player characters; the goal of the forces of good can only be attained through cooperation, so that victory is a group achievement rather than an individual one.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast