Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Help with a pure wizard build.

Notes before hand:
    1) This is a PURE wizard build, do NOT say "Well you should just do wiz 18/blah 02391", I don't care, I want a pure build, if I didn't I'd be in the multiclass forum.

2) I don't want a sorc, I want a wizard.

3) I'm using a warforged, not a drow, not a human, not anything else.

I'm looking on advice, this is a rough (VERY rough) draft of the build I'm going for, I'm not familiar with wizards at all and I'm looking for advice on them.

This is a 32 point build, please pretend tomes do not exist for the time (Yes, yes, I will get them, blah blah blah, I know, but let's just pretend they don't for now, shall we?)

If you think something should be changed, please don't just say "That sucks, do this instead." Tell me why, what's wrong with it, what makes your way so much better.

As far as what kind of build, am going for a crit fire wall spec, seems like a fairly safe way to go and lots of fun.

And without further ado, here's the build.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34
    DDO Character Planner Home Page

Wizard 
    Level 20 Lawful Good Warforged Male
    (20 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 266
    Spell Points: 1786 
    BAB: 10\10\15\20
    Fortitude: 10
    Reflex: 8
    Will: 10

Starting          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength              8                     8
    Dexterity            14                    14
    Constitution         18                    18
    Intelligence         18                    28
    Wisdom                6                     6
    Charisma              6                     6

Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance               2                    11
    Bluff                -2                    -2
    Concentration         8                    31
    Diplomacy            -2                    -2
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                0                     9.5
    Heal                 -2                    -2
    Hide                  2                     2
    Intimidate           -2                    -2
    Jump                  1                    10.5
    Listen               -2                    -2
    Move Silently         2                     2
    Open Lock             n/a                   n/a
    Perform              n/a                   n/a
    Repair                8                    36
    Search                4                     9
    Spot                 -2                    -2
    Swim                 -1                    -1
    Tumble                4                    13.5
    Use Magic Device      0                     9.5

Level 1 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
    Enhancement: Wizard Concentration I
    Enhancement: Wizard Repair I
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Warforged Mechanics I

Level 2 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Force Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar I
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence I

Level 3 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements I
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Force I
    Enhancement: Wizard Wand Heightening I

Level 4 (Wizard)
    Ability Raise: INT
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation II
    Enhancement: Warforged Mechanics II

Level 5 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Improved Mental Toughness
    Enhancement: Wizard Concentration II
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements I

Level 6 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Wizard Repair II

Level 7 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements II
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation III

Level 8 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence II

Level 9 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements II
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar II

Level 10 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Maximize Spell
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation IV

Level 11 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements III

Level 12 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration

Level 13 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar III
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence III

Level 14 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements III
    Enhancement: Wizard Subtle Spellcasting I

Level 15 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Penetration
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Quicken Spell
    Enhancement: Wizard Subtle Spellcasting II

Level 16 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration I
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar IV

Level 17 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration II

Level 18 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Concentration III

Level 19 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Concentration IV

Level 20 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Heighten Spell
    Enhancement: Wizard Master of Magic
    Enhancement: Wizard Subtle Spellcasting III
    Pure Fighter build - http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=408856 - Solvera on Ghallanda (TR2), feedback is welcomed!

Default hey bud

if your quickeni spelling then dont need the concentration points dump em in balence jump first and diplomacy or bluff if extra

Quote Originally Posted by deathsacredbliss View Post
    if your quickeni spelling then dont need the concentration points dump em in balence jump first and diplomacy or bluff if extra
    Please, do not do this. Their are situations where you won't have quicken on. Not to mention your concentration check will still be important when using a scroll, such as reconstruct.
    Blood ~ OSD

Why dex? Your AC won't be any good and reflex is better augmented by insightul reflexes too.

3 toughness feats? 2 of these at low level? They help least during low levels, apart from the first one. And, one toughness feat should be more than plenty on a warforged wizard.

You'll want heighten earlier probably. Also, I suggest a spell focus line of either necromancy or enchantment. Necromancy is wail, enchantment is mass hold monster DC, both can be very useful.

Edit: also what bobo said. Don't drop concentration :P

Community Member

First off, half skill levels don't help you in any way, shape or form. Get rid of those.

I don't see you really profiting from your dex, maybe it would be better to just put those points into constitution for more survivability or strength for low level meleeing.

I would consider loosing the 2nd and/or 3rd toughness feats and get a spell focus instead, maybe insightful reflexes because half damage is still better then full damage and resistances can take care of a big chunk of what is left.

The heightening enhancements conserve loads of sp, you should get those.

Repair isn't that great, while i see you taking the skill due to lack of really useful options and loads of points to spare i certainly would not spend ap on it.
    Concerning ap the same goes for concentration.
    You waste 16 ap on those 2 skills alone which would be of better use for metamagic enhancements, spell penetration or maybe some damage enhancers.

You need warforged inscribed armor 1 to loose the 5% arcane spell failure due to your plating.

I'll just echo what you heard already...

Dex is not going to help you do anything useful. Those points are better spent on Str so you can fight a little at low level and mid levels with a greatsword using masters touch spell. It works nicely and saves mana on the easy critters.

Don't spend enhancements on concentration and repair. The only reason to take repair is you don't have anything better to spend it on. Saves you a bit of SP when shrining and that's about it. concentration might be worth a rank or two but certainly not spending 4 AP to get 1 point. Better to take the Spell Penetration enhancements of diversify your damage enhancements.

I'd take heighten earlier, its very useful by level 7.

Other than that it look quite good, very solid character.
    Happy Host of DDOcast The Dungeons and Dragons Online Podcast
    Member of the Umber Hulks and The Madborn of Thelanis
    You can see my many builds listed in this thread.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by supp3nhuhn View Post
    First off, half skill levels don't help you in any way, shape or form. Get rid of those.

I don't see you really profiting from your dex, maybe it would be better to just put those points into constitution for more survivability or strength for low level meleeing.

I would consider loosing the 2nd and/or 3rd toughness feats and get a spell focus instead, maybe insightful reflexes because half damage is still better then full damage and resistances can take care of a big chunk of what is left.

The heightening enhancements conserve loads of sp, you should get those.

Repair isn't that great, while i see you taking the skill due to lack of really useful options and loads of points to spare i certainly would not spend ap on it.
    Concerning ap the same goes for concentration.
    You waste 16 ap on those 2 skills alone which would be of better use for metamagic enhancements, spell penetration or maybe some damage enhancers.

You need warforged inscribed armor 1 to loose the 5% arcane spell failure due to your plating.
    Can't do anything about half skills, after the ones that aren't, I have a bunch of points left over and EVERYTHING is half, they are useless, yes, but either I spend useless points or accumulate them and they do nothing, no difference either way.

Thought maybe 4 points of dex would be more useful than 1 point of con, is this incorrect?

From what everyone says I'll take that advice and drop the 2 toughness and try something else, will post the new build in a little bit.

Will look into heightening enhancements, but those points are super tight as it is

So drop repair and concentration? Every post above you says don't drop concentration...I understand the repair (sort of), but not the concentration, could you explain?
    Pure Fighter build - http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=408856 - Solvera on Ghallanda (TR2), feedback is welcomed!

Quote Originally Posted by deathsacredbliss View Post
    Concentration will be very important before he gets Quicken, and having Quicken turned on all the time really eats up a lot of sp on a Wizard. Also, Concentration works on scrolls, Quicken doesn't. Concentration should stay maxed, after all, he already has a maxed Balance and enough Jump to get him to 40 with the Jump Spell. Repair can definately be lowered. All it does is give you more HP at shrines, but you don't have all that many hp and you can self heal with wands and sp. 5 points in Repair + a +15 Item + your Int should be plenty. Diplomacy is a good alternative, as is Spot. Search looks good with it's Int synergy, but it's really very weak. A wand of Detect Secret Doors will find doors higher than you could search for and it's faster too. As for trap boxes, once the DC is over 20, you need a level of Rogue to find the boxes. At least spot will show you hiding enemies and can give you a hint where to spot. At lower levels, it may warn you of traps as well.

One thing that could be improved is dropping all the .5s. They don't add to your score. A 11.5 needs the same roll as an 11.

As for Ability scores, Str is usually preferred over Dex. Insightful Reflexes will allow you to use your Int score for your Reflex save bonus and your AC won't really be high enough for a 14 to matter. Putting Str at 14 increases your carrying capacity, gauds against Ray of Enfeeblement and allows you to be pretty good in melee with a two-hander, Master's Touch and the right buffs.

As for feats, hp are good, but 3 Toughnesses might be overkill. A lot of peopel like to pick up a Spell Focus line and I've already mentioned Insightful reflexes.

Other than that, it looks pretty good. Once the other PrEs come out, it may require some tweaking, but it looks like a solid start.

First of all:

I recommend the starting attributes as 32 Point build

16 Strength
    8 Dexterity
    16 Constitution
    18 Intelligence
    6 Wisdom
    6 Charisma

or 14 Strength and 18 Constitution

Reasons: 16 Constitution will net you eventually approximately 400 Hps; with the 16 Strength you get to solo quests much easier with a nice weapon; and master's touch.
    In fact at levels 2-4 with Master's Touch and Bull Strength you don't even need to cast spells, mobs will die on normal / hard without any problems and you'll be able to repair yourself. With Divine Power Clickies, you can also damage monsters at higher levels and tank them. I do this with a drow wizard and it's not optimal but it helps.

Focus on the following skills:

Concentration, Balance, Tumble

Concentration avoids you being interrupted using scrolls/casting when saving mana while taking quicken off. (Shintao Cord is a good necklace to equip as a caster)
    Tumble helps on falls, specially in the reaver if you want to solo the quest
    Balance to get up faster when knocked down.

I would recommend farming Necropolis Part II, for the scarabs. If you get all 5 scarabs and turn them into a powder, you can give that to your level 1 WF Wizard and use it to trade it for a docent that gives you lesser arcane casting (-5%) and Wizardry II if I'm not mistaken no level requirement.

You'll have enough skill points to select

40% enhancement to fire/cold
    9% to crit chance
    2.25 damage to crit modifier

and still take 40% enhancement for force/repair which will give you a nice advantage against those pesky end bosses that are immune to fire/cold or resistant to it.

Affects: Reconstruct: 250 Hps on 35 mana, Magic Missle (single), Force Missile (single), Chain Missile (Area around the mob you select)

I would recommend taking off so many toughnesses and adding Spell Focus Necromancy, and Greater Spell Focus Necromancy.

It'll affect your Finger of Death, Waves of Fatigue, Wail of the Banshee, at lower levels it affects Command Undead, Halt Undead, Ghoul Tough. Which if you notice FoD, WoF and WotB are end game spells, and Halt undead is really useful in epic, same as Waves of Fatigue. Specially with the +2 intelligence from the capstone, you'll have extremely good DC's to slay monsters with your spells.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paroon View Post
    Can't do anything about half skills, after the ones that aren't, I have a bunch of points left over and EVERYTHING is half, they are useless, yes, but either I spend useless points or accumulate them and they do nothing, no difference either way.

Thought maybe 4 points of dex would be more useful than 1 point of con, is this incorrect?

From what everyone says I'll take that advice and drop the 2 toughness and try something else, will post the new build in a little bit.

Will look into heightening enhancements, but those points are super tight as it is

So drop repair and concentration? Every post above you says don't drop concentration...I understand the repair (sort of), but not the concentration, could you explain?
    No i didn't say drop the skill concentration but drop the enhancements for concentration (and repair) which would free up enough ap for improved heightening 1 and 2 and additional enhancements to your liking.

And its 6 points in dex which would be 2 points in con or 6 points in strength.
    Dex only gives you better armor and reflex saves, both of which you won't be able to get into meaningful ranges anyways.

Wizards do get a lot of skill points because of their Int. I would proiritize Concentration, Tumble, Balance, UMD, Spot, Haggle, and at the beginning, Jump. If you have any left over, Repair is semi-useful. 4 points in the beginning isn't a bad idea. Some less obvious choices would be Hide, Move Silently, and Swim. Hide and MS combines with items and Invisibility can make Stealth very viable for a Wizard. And Swim might be useful when underwater combat is introduced next month. All of these are more useful than extra half ranks in a skill.

He means the enhancements, not the skill points. As you've pointed out, you have plenty of skill points, but your enhancements are tight. Spending 2 , 3 or 4 APs for one point of Concentration just isn't a good choice. However, enhancements are easily reset. As long as the feats and stats are good, you character will be in good shape.

Community Member

Gotcha on the points, and the enhancements are what I did understand and did rearrange, lemme know how it looks now.

Also re-adjusted the stat points

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.34

Wizard 
    Level 20 Lawful Good Warforged Male
    (20 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 212
    Spell Points: 1786 
    Fortitude: 10
    Reflex: 5

Abilities        Base Stats          Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)             (Level 20)
    Strength             14                    14
    Dexterity             8                     8
    Constitution         18                    19
    Intelligence         18                    28
    Wisdom                6                     6
    Charisma              6                     6

Base Skills         Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)            (Level 20)
    Balance              -1                     5.5
    Bluff                -2                    -2
    Concentration         8                    28
    Diplomacy            -2                    -2
    Disable Device        n/a                   n/a
    Haggle                0                     9
    Heal                 -2                    -1.5
    Hide                 -1                    -1
    Intimidate           -2                    -2
    Jump                  2                     4.5
    Listen               -2                    -2
    Move Silently        -1                    -1
    Open Lock            n/a                   n/a
    Perform              n/a                   n/a
    Repair                8                    32
    Search                4                     9
    Spot                 -2                    -2
    Swim                  4                    13.5
    Tumble                1                    10.5
    Use Magic Device      0                     9.5

Level 1 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Extend Spell
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
    Enhancement: Wizard Concentration I
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation I
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar I

Level 2 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence I
    Enhancement: Warforged Inscribed Armor I

Level 3 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Heighten Spell
    Enhancement: Wizard Wand Mastery I
    Enhancement: Wizard Wand Heightening I
    Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I

Level 4 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements I
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation II

Level 5 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Improved Mental Toughness
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements I
    Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration I
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar II
    Enhancement: Wizard Subtle Spellcasting I

Level 6 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Spell Penetration
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence II

Level 7 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Heightening I

Level 8 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements II
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation III

Level 9 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Greater Spell Penetration
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements II

Level 10 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Maximize Spell
    Enhancement: Wizard Elemental Manipulation IV

Level 11 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Elements III
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar III

Level 12 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 13 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Maximizing I
    Enhancement: Wizard Intelligence III

Level 14 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Lineage of Deadly Elements III

Level 15 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Empower Spell
    Enhancement: Wizard Energy of the Scholar IV

Level 16 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Maximizing II

Level 17 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Spell Penetration II

Level 18 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Selected) Enlarge Spell
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Empowering I
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Enlarge I

Level 19 (Wizard)
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Empowering II

Level 20 (Wizard)
    Feat: (Wizard Bonus) Eschew Materials
    Enhancement: Wizard Master of Magic
    Enhancement: Wizard Improved Quickening I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I

Thumbs up My advice

I'd go true neutral instead of LG, better for Litany of the Dead.

For skills I'd drop swim, WF don't need swim speed. I'd also drop repair, you can't repair yourself and the 30ish HP more when resting isn't all that great.

I dropped UMD on my WF Wiz, since you can self heal with repair and reconstruct, I didn't think it was worth it. But that is very debatable, some will say go for UMD, I don't think it's worth it on a WF Wiz.

I didn't know about Tumble helping with falling but with Feather Fall, I only put 1 point in. Search can also be replaced with the spell Detect Secret Doors.

Now with all those freed points, max Concentration, Balance and I would also raise Spot (useful for detecting stealth enemies). With the points left you may want to round out with skills like jump (no more than a total of 10 with stat bonus, jump caps at 40 and your jump spell will be +30), Diplomacy can help you loose aggro when grouping but I'm not sure if 11 pts or so if enough to make a diff, Haggle can help you make more $$$ even a little will make a difference.

You can usually minimize the .5 by always maxing your 2 or 3 cross-class must have skills until level 19 by then they will be at their effective max of 11. You can then dump the skill points of 20th into your round out skills, you may still end up with a .5 but you shouldn't have more than 1 such skill or better yet, put that .5 in repair and you'll be golden.

Edit: For Feats I would not take Enlarge and Eschew Mats, both are marginal IMO, I would rather take Spell Focus and Greater SF Enchantment or Necro depending on what you prefer, CC or InstaKill. SF and GSF will raise your DC making sure the nasties save less often.

2nd Edit: For your enhancements, I wouldn't spread myself thin, the Wand stuff is mostly useless, your spells are going to me much more effective than wands. If you don't take Enlarge, you can save some AP there, I'd concentrate on Max and Emp. I'm not sure you need more than Energy of the Scholar 2, you could always use pots to complement your SP. Try and get the 3rd Spell Pen, it will help in end game. I'd also try and get WF Con 2 and at least the 2nd racial toughness (Maxing your HP will help a lot).
    Last edited by Warwolf42; 07-27-2010 at 11:57 PM.
    Founder and only member of Anti Social Soloers

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warwolf42 View Post
    I'd go true neutral instead of LG, better for Litany of the Dead.

For skills I'd drop swim, WF don't need swim speed. I'd also drop repair, you can't repair yourself and the 30ish HP more when resting isn't all that great.

I dropped UMD on my WF Wiz, since you can self heal with repair and reconstruct, I didn't think it was worth it. But that is very debatable, some will say go for UMD, I don't think it's worth it on a WF Wiz.

I didn't know about Tumble helping with falling but with Feather Fall, I only put 1 point in. Search can also be replaced with the spell Detect Secret Doors.

Now with all those freed points, max Concentration, Balance and I would also raise Spot (useful for detecting stealth enemies). With the points left you may want to round out with skills like jump (no more than a total of 10 with stat bonus, jump caps at 40 and your jump spell will be +30), Diplomacy can help you loose aggro when grouping but I'm not sure if 11 pts or so if enough to make a diff, Haggle can help you make more $$$ even a little will make a difference.

You can usually minimize the .5 by always maxing your 2 or 3 cross-class must have skills until level 19 by then they will be at their effective max of 11. You can then dump the skill points of 20th into your round out skills, you may still end up with a .5 but you shouldn't have more than 1 such skill or better yet, put that .5 in repair and you'll be golden.
    Please read above posts. I. Have. An. Over. Abbundance. Of. Skill. Points. Concentration and Repair are already maxed, everything else is .5, and with 8 skill points a level they are just dump stats, so no choice ^-^

However, didn't think about diplomacy. Will mull over that idea while I wait too see what others think ^-^

Please read above posts. I. Have. An. Over. Abbundance. Of. Skill. Points. Concentration and Repair are already maxed, everything else is .5, and with 8 skill points a level they are just dump stats, so no choice ^-^

However, didn't think about diplomacy. Will mull over that idea while I wait too see what others think ^-^
    I understand you have a lot of skill points but you haven't maxed balance, you can take all those .5 at 20th and pool them into Balance or Swim, I recommend maxing Balance and Spot over Repair and Search also.

Community Member

I understand you have a lot of skill points but you haven't maxed balance, you can take all those .5 at 20th and pool them into Balance or Swim, I recommend maxing Balance and Spot over Repair and Search also.
    AH ha, gotcha, fair enough then. Still, going to wait till a few more hints and tips are put up before reconfiguring, takes a while to do it so want to do a bit more than just a skill point change (assuming that isn't all that's necessary...if it is...awesome but I doubt it for some reason ^-^; )

Thumbs up

AH ha, gotcha, fair enough then. Still, going to wait till a few more hints and tips are put up before reconfiguring, takes a while to do it so want to do a bit more than just a skill point change (assuming that isn't all that's necessary...if it is...awesome but I doubt it for some reason ^-^; )
    Cool I'm not sure about cross skill diplo, it may not be enough to make a difference. When I can't max a skill to 23, I try and pick skills that have some impact even when low like haggle.

I whipped up a 32pt WF Wizard in the char builder, I can post it if you are interested.

Community Member

Cool I'm not sure about cross skill diplo, it may not be enough to make a difference. When I can't max a skill to 23, I try and pick skills that have some impact even when low like haggle.

I whipped up a 32pt WF Wizard in the char builder, I can post it if you are interested.
    I wouldn't mind taking a peek at it, keep in mind I'm not attempting to emulate another person's build...actually...this was the first build I did with absolutely no baring on what the hell to do period x.X But from the sounds of it the second attempt I posted seems like the only issue is the skills, and if that's it I think I did a damn fine job ^-^

yea, if you don't mind, I'd like to take a gander, thanks

I haven't checked everything before my last post since it was like 4am but here goes now.

Feats look ok, except what the other guy said about eschew and enlarge. Eschew isn't worth it even for me, and I'm a pretty poor person. Enlarge can be, and is useful for sniping, but all it does is extend the casting range, not the size of the actual firewall/ball. I'd still take Spell Focus/GSF over it.

On the skills: Put points in in this priority:
    1. Concentration
    2. Balance
    3. UMD
    4. Diplomacy
    5. Spot
    6. Jump

If you never use any tomes, you get +1 skill point per level at 8, and another +1 at 16. What I did with these was put 4 points into tumble (-1 from dex +2 from points = enough to tumble), and dumped the rest into haggle. Can be put into whatever though. Getting a tome earlier just means you get a bit more haggle in the end.

On repair: While heal/repair is imo very useful when soloing, it loses it's punch very quickly (I've had a paladin with maxed heal, by level 5 it didn't heal half maxhp anymore). It still saves you sp/wand charges, but I'd take spot/jump/haggle over it.

Jump doesn't need to be maxed, you only need 10 minus any str bonus.
    Last edited by Truga; 07-28-2010 at 03:56 AM.

Thumbs up Here's a WF pure Wiz

I understand you are not looking for someone's build but just to compare, here's how I'd do a WF pure Wiz.

Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.5.1

32pt-WF Pure-Wizard
    Level 20 True Neutral Warforged Male
    (20 Wizard) 
    Hit Points: 252
    Spell Points: 1621 
    Fortitude: 11
    Reflex: 15

Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats         Modified Stats
    (32 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 20)           (Level 20)
    Strength             14                 14                   14
    Dexterity             8                  8                    8
    Constitution         18                 18                   20
    Intelligence         18                 23                   28
    Wisdom                6                  6                    6
    Charisma              6                  6                    6

Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement
                     Base Skills        Base Skills        Modified Skills
    Skills           (Level 1)          (Level 20)          (Level 20)
    Balance               1                 10                   10
    Bluff                -2                 -2                   -2
    Concentration         8                 28                   28
    Diplomacy             0                  9                    9
    Disable Device        n/a               n/a                   n/a
    Haggle               -2                  9                    9
    Heal                 -2                 -2                   -2
    Hide                 -1                 -1                   -1
    Intimidate           -2                 -2                   -2
    Jump                  2                  6                    6
    Listen               -2                 -2                   -2
    Move Silently        -1                 -1                   -1