Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

1) How do you think 2 more feats (21 and 24) affect your choices?

2) Thoughts on EDs?

3) You talk about Half Elf Cleric Dilly as a viable option, but throughout this thread there is not one build discussed with the required 13 starting Wisdom. If you were building a Helf Cler Dilly in today's game, with that 13 starting Wis, what would it look like?
    Quote Originally Posted by Towrn
    ...when the worst thing that happens when you make a mistake at your job is someone complains on the internet, you probably care a little less!

Smile Mabar is coming... what a CoinkyDink

In light of being asked about Ranger builds and Ranged builds in general over the last few weeks, i thought it was a good time to Necro this for Pwes.
    She relayed she will update it sometime after the new enhancements pass. Whenever that will be.
    In the meantime? If your considering starting a Ranged toonie? And are new to the concept?
    Start at page One.
    TKSK - Thelanis ("Best Server" -NyTimes).

im thinking of doin a AA/Ranger on my main melee toon. and have all the gear needed for a easy TR and for endgame.

but my question is instead of PA what about Precision?

does it work well with ranged combat?
    Kyokoi - 26th life, Completionist Barb
    Zornly 13th life, Cleric
    Zornley 3rd life, Sharadi Wiz Proud Officer of ToySoldiers

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yendor_the_pokermage View Post
    im thinking of doin a AA/Ranger on my main melee toon. and have all the gear needed for a easy TR and for endgame.

Precision works excellently with ranged and melee both but in most cases power attack is better for melee. Honestly if I was doing a pure ranger I'd be wanting to fit in Overwhelming Critical in which case Power Attack is required (though that doesn't exclude Precision except for shortness of feats).
    Quote Originally Posted by Feather_of_Sun View Post
    Welcome to Dungeons and Dragons Online, and thanks for playing!
    Build Index

Yes it does! Frankly, I think this is now a given for ranged characters, since it works for ranged combat. It really helps bring up To hit if you are high strength and only moderate dexterity, and it means more crits and more sneak attacks against fortified foes. Gotta love it!

For melee, i think powerattack still gives more bang for your buck, but for a split-stat profession like archery, precision is an easy choice.

thx guys for your input.

i do have 4monk lives so thats +3dmg already. i think precision would give me more bang for the feat.

as for missing out on overwealming crit maybe i can still fit in somehow still researching
    Zornly 13th life, Cleric

thx guys for your input.
    i do have 4monk lives so thats +3dmg already. i think precision would give me more bang for the feat.
    as for missing out on overwealming crit maybe i can still fit in somehow still researching
    Shame shame... if u do? good luck.
    But you should first re-read the above from WoWo...
    here... let meh help u

Quote Originally Posted by wax_on_wax_off View Post
    Precision works excellently with ranged and melee both but in most cases power attack is better for melee. Honestly if I was doing a pure ranger I'd be wanting to fit in Overwhelming Critical in which case Power Attack is required (though that doesn't exclude Precision except for shortness of feats).
    Please note. Crits are much more important in most all cases, and for more than a few reasons.
    Yes, i tested, and yes i confirmed. On different builds as well.
    Pure Ranger benefits most from OC, rather than Precision. If you can fit them both, great.
    Just remember... your feats are limited.
    If however, you have Fighter levels for Kensai etc -and have feats to burn? it is great.

doesnt OC have great cleave as a pre?

so it actually takes 3 feats, PA, cleave, great cleave.

i cant see how a AA/Ranger fits that in without totally borking his build.

please show me how you fit all those feats in?
    Zornly 13th life, Cleric

doesnt OC have great cleave as a pre?

so it actually takes 3 feats, PA, cleave, great cleave.

i cant see how a AA/Ranger fits that in without totally borking his build.

please show me how you fit all those feats in?
    Correct.

As a pure ranger AA, you're unlikely to get it, but as a kensei hybrid, it's more plausible.

About the only way I see it happening is:

lvl 1: Point Blank Shot
    lvl 3: Weapon Focus: Ranged
    lvl 6: Mental Toughness
    lvl 9: Improved Critical: Ranged
    lvl 12: Toughness
    lvl 15: Improved Critical: bludgeon/piercing/slashing
    lvl 18: Cleave
    lvl 21: Great Cleave
    lvl 24: Overwhelming Critical

This, of course, does not permit power attack (unless you traded out toughness, or lost IC: Ranged) or weapon finesse.

Splash 2 levels of fighter at 19 and 20, and it looks a lot better.

Edit: that having been said, the wiki has OC only working on "weapons of that type" referring, I imagine, to the bludgeon/slash/piercing required for the feat and so I assume that it doesn't work on ranged. As I am currently on my barbarian life, I'm unable to test/confirm this. Is the feat working for any IC: type that you have?
    Last edited by Pwesiela; 10-30-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    ...Edit: that having been said, the wiki has OC only working on "weapons of that type" referring, I imagine, to the bludgeon/slash/piercing required for the feat and so I assume that it doesn't work on ranged. As I am currently on my barbarian life, I'm unable to test/confirm this. Is the feat working for any IC: type that you have?

Same. I was rather confused by the original question as well. Cannot find anywhere where any of this applies to Ranged... But there will always b something i don't know.

FYI, personal note... and stress the personal part, i would fit in Dragonmarks -if Elvey- for displacement. Me RangerDanger is very effective DPS and Nurse and usually last person standing in an EE wipe.

Really cannot wait to get me Main (K2AA) to EpicLand. She will b beast.

ps: Welcome back to thread, Pwe. U rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Kawai View Post

ps: Welcome back to thread, Pwe. U rock.
    Never left it, just don't get on the forums as much as I used to. That, and I don't tend to comment on things that other people already answered.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Pwesiela is correct.

thx Pwesiela.

just TR'd 3 days ago and im actually havn a blast. i still melee 90% of the time but enjoying the class a lot.

and im gonna try out precision instead.

i like adding a bit of my own flavour to my builds. and with the gear, PL's, and complete destinies/fate points completed i positive ill be EE capable once i hit 20.

i had just finished my 2nd rog life with the first taking PA and the 2nd precision and by far the amount of xtra crits/sneak attacks from precision out DPS's the xtra base dmg of PA.

so testing it out will be interesting on a ranger
    Zornly 13th life, Cleric

infact im thinking the combo of precision and power critical with the updates to those feats i wouldnt be suprised do as much or more overall dps as the 4 total feats to get OC.

with 2 feats to spare.

i may have to try that out considering once i cap and have my epic thornlord then upgraded pinion at 23 i doubt ill melee nearly as much.
    Zornly 13th life, Cleric

What about combat archery? Worth it? EDIT: Looks like it's not woking right now. Anyway, so I'm considering to take Precision. But what concerns me, is that I already have 2 stances to choose from, Archer's Focus (Precise shot stance) and Improved precise shot (arrows damage everything on their route), now do I have to turn those off in order to turn Precision on? EDIT: looks like you can have them both (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p...2&postcount=15).
    Last edited by Bimbelbo; 10-31-2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordovan
    People are absolutely working on it at the moment.

Awesome guide thanks a lot!

Stoner81.

Community Member

Don't worry about fitting in over-rated . . . I mean . . . overwhelming critical. You have better uses for your feats.
    Personal d000m level: 83%

Quote Originally Posted by zwiebelring View Post
    Ape_Man does clever trolling nothing more. Don't feed him/her.

Now updated here!

(It was easier to make a new post, than to go in and edit all the stuff in this one. Yay! Now you get a new thread to comment in!
    Archangels
    Pwesiela is correct.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910