Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
Results 161 to 180 of 197
  1. #161
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    Also, for you folks that aren't keeping up with the Lamannia forums...

    From the preview server. Drops in the upcoming "Operation: Blockade Buster" quest.
    Yeah, they will pretty much become a must have for ranged damage. AA included. I only wish that it did more for normal hits, not just natural 20s.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

  2. #162
    Hatchery Founder Glenalth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    A mountain fortress.
    Posts
    4,280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    Yeah, they will pretty much become a must have for ranged damage. AA included. I only wish that it did more for normal hits, not just natural 20s.
    The +2/+1 on top of the vorpal strike is very nice.

    As far as overall damage goes, The charged gauntlets use loaded dice and this probably will too. After 30+ or so procs on the training dummy with the gauntlets I never saw a number under 50. That makes for around 2.4-3.8 damage per hit depending on saves. Since it's fortitude for 1/2 instead of reflex you don't have to worry about evasion like with the Charged Gauntlets. Not many items in the game can boost your damage that much and the ones that come close are typically item sets or epics. This is an excellent specialty item. The fog removing clicky is just a bonus.

    My main complaint is that there isn't an epic version.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

  3. #163
    Community Member Nephilia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Rome (Italy)
    Posts
    1,575

    Default

    I'm Loving It !!!! <3 <3 <3
    ALL HAIL TO ITS SQUISHY-MAJESTY SIR KNORR, LORD OF OOZES AND MASTER OF SLIME
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=386688

  4. #164
    Community Member Lord_kNiels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Behind you.
    Posts
    189

    Default Nice Guide

    Brilliant guide and how right you are.
    Of course each person would probably like to do a few changes according to their way of playing but i couldnt agree more in the overall idea of a good AA.

  5. #165
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    The +2/+1 on top of the vorpal strike is very nice.

    My main complaint is that there isn't an epic version.

    With range dos lagging at least over 100 points behind, it's gonna take a lot more (shout out for increase rate of fire here) to get some semblance of parity. But what can you do?
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

  6. #166
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Updated OP now that I've played more with the horc and helf and figured I should update them.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

  7. #167
    Community Member Ayuur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Pwesiela, your guide is a godsend. Thank you so much!

    However, I have a question about an AA build I'm currently working on.

    I created her with the following ability scores:
    STR 15
    DEX 18
    CON 13
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 8

    I've put all my level-ups into STR and have taken all but one of the DEX enhancements, as well as the Valenar Racial Weapon line. At end game, without taking tomes or gear into account, my build will look something like this:
    STR 20
    DEX 23
    CON 13
    INT 8
    WIS 10
    CHA 8

    I was thinking that my low WIS score could easily be remedied with a +4 WIS item, while my DEX, bolstered by class and racial enhancements, can be raised with tomes and gear. My STR will probably be boosted with a tome, too.

    Here are my enhancements:
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page
    
    Kestrel 
    Level 20 Chaotic Good Elf Female
    (20 Ranger) 
    Hit Points: 242
    Spell Points: 425 
    BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
    Fortitude: 13
    Reflex: 18
    Will: 6
    
    Level 1 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Elven Ranged Damage I
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage I
    
    
    Level 2 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Damage I
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Resistance I
    Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity I
    
    
    Level 3 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Elven Dexterity I
    
    
    Level 4 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Attack I
    Enhancement: Elven Ranged Attack I
    Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild I
    
    
    Level 5 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage II
    
    
    Level 6 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Force Arrows
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Attack I
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer I
    
    
    Level 7 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Elven Ranged Damage II
    
    
    Level 8 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity II
    
    
    Level 9 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Acid Arrows
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Resistance II
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +2 Arrows
    
    
    Level 10 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Elven Dexterity II
    
    
    Level 11 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage III
    
    
    Level 12 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Explosive Arrows
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
    Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +3 Arrows
    
    
    Level 13 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Favored Damage IV
    
    
    Level 14 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Damage II
    
    
    Level 15 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Force Burst Arrows
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Terror Arrows
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +4 Arrows
    Enhancement: Improved Spot I
    
    
    Level 16 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Elven Ranged Attack II
    
    
    Level 17 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Valenar Elf Melee Attack II
    
    
    Level 18 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Imbue Slaying Arrows
    Enhancement: Ranger Arcane Archer: Conjure +5 Arrows
    
    
    Level 19 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Dexterity III
    
    
    Level 20 (Ranger)
    Enhancement: Ranger Master of Archery
    Enhancement: Ranger Energy of the Wild II
    Here are my feats:
    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page
    
    Kestrel 
    Level 20 Chaotic Good Elf Female
    (20 Ranger) 
    Hit Points: 242
    Spell Points: 425 
    BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
    Fortitude: 13
    Reflex: 18
    Will: 6
    
    Level 1 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Undead
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot
    
    
    Level 2 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 3 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons
    
    
    Level 4 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 5 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Giant
    
    
    Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
    
    
    Level 7 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 8 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 9 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
    
    
    Level 10 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Elemental
    
    
    Level 11 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 12 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Toughness
    
    
    Level 13 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 14 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 15 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
    
    
    Level 16 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 17 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 18 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
    
    
    Level 19 (Ranger)
    
    
    Level 20 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Aberration

    I'm wondering if it's viable to rely on Enhancements and Tomes to raise my DEX while I put all my level-ups into STR. Is the trade-off in my ranged to-hit worth the increase in melee and ranged damage?
    Officer of Dark Sun Renegades (Khyber)
    Toons:
    Calemvir Draco (Level 15 Human Fire Savant) — Meralyn (Level 13 Elven Arcane Archer)

  8. #168
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Thumbs up Love this!!! Thank You

    Pwesiela thanks for posting this, it was instrumental in helping me with my new build.

    I know Rangers make the best AA but I went with something a little bit different. I went with a FVS 18/ RGR 2 build. Now I know there are many problems with this and I know many people would discourage it, but I figured this would be a VERY FUN Character to play.

    I chose FVS for two reasons, one their bonus to Ranged Weapon dmg as well access to spells (I like being a secondary healer/buffer). I have no intention of melee so to help with that I dumped most of my Skill points into Diplomacy.

    When it is all said and done my base dmg output (Using the Silver Longbow) will be: 9-18 (3-12 Bow, +2 Elf Enhancement, +2 FVS Enhancement, +2 FVS Feat) Which is pretty darn cool if you ask me! (and I know you were!!!)

    So here is how I went about creating this. (28 Point Build)

    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page
    
    Level 20 Lawful Good Elf Male
    (2 Ranger \ 18 Favored Soul) 
    Hit Points: 220
    Spell Points: 1742 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 22
    Will: 10
    
                      Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats         Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 20)           (Level 20)
    Strength             14                 14                   14
    Dexterity            18                 23                   26
    Constitution         14                 14                   14
    Intelligence          8                  8                    8
    Wisdom                8                  8                    8
    Charisma             10                 10                   12
    
    Level 1 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Deity) Favored by the Silver Flame
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot
    Feat: (Automatic) Attack
    Feat: (Automatic) Elven Keen Senses
    Feat: (Automatic) Enchantment Save Bonus
    Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
    Feat: (Automatic) Immunity to Sleep
    Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Magical Training
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longsword
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
    Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
    
    
    Level 2 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
    Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
    Feat: (Automatic) Trip
    
    
    Level 3 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons
    Feat: (Automatic) Child of the Silver Flame
    
    
    Level 4 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 5 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Fire
    
    
    Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
    Feat: (Automatic) Bow Strength
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
    Feat: (Automatic) Wild Empathy
    
    
    Level 7 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Automatic) Rapid Shot
    Feat: (Automatic) Two Weapon Fighting
    
    
    Level 8 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 9 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Precise Shot
    
    
    Level 10 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 11 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 12 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Cold
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
    
    
    Level 13 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 14 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Beloved of the Silver Flame
    
    
    Level 15 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Precise Shot
    
    
    Level 16 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 17 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Acid
    
    
    Level 18 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Manyshot
    
    
    Level 19 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Leap Of Faith
    
    
    Level 20 (Favored Soul)
    So for my level 18 Feat I had two options: Manyshot & Power Critical. I figured Manyshot is the best bet here due to burst dmg. (But if others feel differently then I am open to changing that.)

    Dex & Str will get boosted with in game Loot items.

    For my Charisma modifier I am planing on using a +2 CHA Tome and other loot items to boost it up to the minimum spell level requirements.

    I would like feedback on this build, but I intend this Character to be more of a support DPS and healer/buffer. Thoughts???
    Last edited by Eberak2; 08-22-2011 at 02:13 PM.

  9. #169
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eberak2 View Post
    Pwesiela thanks for posting this, it was instrumental in helping me with my new build.

    I know Rangers make the best AA but I went with something a little bit different. I went with a FVS 18/ RGR 2 build. Now I know there are many problems with this and I know many people would discourage it, but I figured this would be a VERY FUN Character to play.

    I chose FVS for two reasons, one their bonus to Ranged Weapon dmg as well access to spells (I like being a secondary healer/buffer). I have no intention of melee so to help with that I dumped most of my Skill points into Diplomacy.

    When it is all said and done my base dmg output (Using the Silver Longbow) will be: 9-18 (3-12 Bow, +2 Elf Enhancement, +2 FVS Enhancement, +2 FVS Feat) Which is pretty darn cool if you ask me! (and I know you were!!!)

    So here is how I went about creating this. (28 Point Build)

    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page
    
    Level 20 Lawful Good Elf Male
    (2 Ranger \ 18 Favored Soul) 
    Hit Points: 220
    Spell Points: 1742 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 22
    Will: 10
    
                      Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats         Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 20)           (Level 20)
    Strength             14                 14                   14
    Dexterity            18                 23                   26
    Constitution         14                 14                   14
    Intelligence          8                  8                    8
    Wisdom                8                  8                    8
    Charisma             10                 10                   12
    
    Level 1 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Deity) Favored by the Silver Flame
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot
    Feat: (Automatic) Attack
    Feat: (Automatic) Elven Keen Senses
    Feat: (Automatic) Enchantment Save Bonus
    Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
    Feat: (Automatic) Immunity to Sleep
    Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Magical Training
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longsword
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
    Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
    
    
    Level 2 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
    Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
    Feat: (Automatic) Trip
    
    
    Level 3 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons
    Feat: (Automatic) Child of the Silver Flame
    
    
    Level 4 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 5 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Fire
    
    
    Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
    Feat: (Automatic) Bow Strength
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
    Feat: (Automatic) Wild Empathy
    
    
    Level 7 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Automatic) Rapid Shot
    Feat: (Automatic) Two Weapon Fighting
    
    
    Level 8 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 9 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Precise Shot
    
    
    Level 10 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 11 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 12 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Cold
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
    
    
    Level 13 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 14 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Beloved of the Silver Flame
    
    
    Level 15 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Precise Shot
    
    
    Level 16 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 17 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Acid
    
    
    Level 18 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Manyshot
    
    
    Level 19 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Leap Of Faith
    
    
    Level 20 (Favored Soul)
    So for my level 18 Feat I had two options: Manyshot & Power Critical. I figured Manyshot is the best bet here due to burst dmg. (But if others feel differently then I am open to changing that.)

    Dex & Str will get boosted with in game Loot items.

    For my Charisma modifier I am planing on using a +2 CHA Tome and other loot items to boost it up to the minimum spell level requirements.

    I would like feedback on this build, but I intend this Character to be more of a support DPS and healer/buffer. Thoughts???
    I'm not going to comment on everything, but some things to consider:

    1) You should take your first level in ranger. You get bonus skill points when creating as a ranger, sort of like how all rogue splashes should start with their rogue level. Only in this case, it's ranger. You get more starting skill points as a ranger, so take advantage of it.

    2) You're going to be light on healing metamagic feats. Namely, you have none. Now, I understand that you're only wanting to be a back up healer, but empower healing can go a long way to help that secondary healing ability. This, of course, will run you into problems with the feats you want for ranged ability. I'd consider dropping improved precise shot (I know, it hurts) for empower healing and possibly dropping rapid shot (depending on just how bad it hits your reload rate and if they ever fix the reload delay problems) for toughness.

    3) You have no toughness. And with only 14 con, that's going to hurt a bit. Well, a lot. See point 2 above.

    4) Have you considered 17Fvs/2Rgr/1Fgt? That would give you leap of faith and an extra feat for something, like getting Improved Precise or Rapid Shot back.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

  10. #170
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayuur View Post
    Pwesiela, your guide is a godsend. Thank you so much!

    However, I have a question about an AA build I'm currently working on.

    I'm wondering if it's viable to rely on Enhancements and Tomes to raise my DEX while I put all my level-ups into STR. Is the trade-off in my ranged to-hit worth the increase in melee and ranged damage?
    With the stats you put in, you'll get 31 dex with a +6 item and a +2 dex tome. You can add an additional 3 to that (for 34) by making a ToD ring. So, in the short form, yes, you'll be fine on dex with just enhancements, tomes, and equipment. You'll likely be meleeing more than you want (welcome to the current life of the ranged character), and the additional strength will be nice.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

  11. #171
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    I'm not going to comment on everything, but some things to consider:

    1) You should take your first level in ranger. You get bonus skill points when creating as a ranger, sort of like how all rogue splashes should start with their rogue level. Only in this case, it's ranger. You get more starting skill points as a ranger, so take advantage of it.

    2) You're going to be light on healing metamagic feats. Namely, you have none. Now, I understand that you're only wanting to be a back up healer, but empower healing can go a long way to help that secondary healing ability. This, of course, will run you into problems with the feats you want for ranged ability. I'd consider dropping improved precise shot (I know, it hurts) for empower healing and possibly dropping rapid shot (depending on just how bad it hits your reload rate and if they ever fix the reload delay problems) for toughness.

    3) You have no toughness. And with only 14 con, that's going to hurt a bit. Well, a lot. See point 2 above.

    4) Have you considered 17Fvs/2Rgr/1Fgt? That would give you leap of faith and an extra feat for something, like getting Improved Precise or Rapid Shot back.
    Great suggestions! Loving the idea about starting out as a 1st level ranger. Will rework that.

    As for the metamagic feats I thought about that but then looked at my enhancements, here is the break down:
    *FVS Life Magic IV = 40% Bonus to healing
    *FVS Prayer of Life III = 9% chance to crit
    *FVS Prayer of Incredible Life III = Healing spells crit for an extra 2.25%
    Plus I always pick up items to help boost my healing, though I do have to toggle them on and off, which is something I am already doing.
    I figured with items and enhancements I can still be an effective back up healer without Empower Healing.

    You are right about the toughness feat, Can't believe I forgot about that!!! Though if I drop Rapid shot (meaning drop 1 level of Ranger) to get Toughness I lose Manyshot, hmm.... What then would be better to lose; Manyshot or Improved Precise Shot? I am thinking Manyshot due to it only being burst dmg while Improved Precise Shot is always on. Thoughts?

    As for taking the fighter level I did consider that, but I want to have access to the 9th level spell Mass Heal, which means I can only splash two levels, and if I removed one level of Ranger to pick up Fighter, I would still end up snagging Rapid Shot, so it would be a bit redundant. In addition as a 2nd level Ranger I get both Rapid Shot & Two Weapon Fighting for free so it seems the better choice.

    Again thanks for you advice on this. I am really excited about playing this character once the bugs are out of it. Oh and last night I ended up snagging "The Silver Longbow"!!!!

  12. #172
    Community Member furbyoats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,092

    Default

    This was probably already addressed in the thread (forgive me for not wanting to read through 5 pages for one comment.)

    But I believe that Half Elves can take EITHER the elven dexterity line, or the human adaptability line...but not both. You pick one and lose the other.

    I could be mistaken, but that is how i have come to understand the racial enhancements.
    Toastee McRoastybuns - Shinigamii - Theifing Slum - Bakabaka - Salsasnack - Tssst The Dog Whisperer
    MrBlonde - Omakase Omnomnom - Austrian Deathmachine - Consonar Crazy Ivan
    Ascent

  13. #173
    Community Member Bodic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    edit: I got sucked into an extended necro forget anthing I said.
    Last edited by Bodic; 08-23-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: dooh necro

  14. #174
    Community Member Bodic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    2,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by furbyoats View Post
    This was probably already addressed in the thread (forgive me for not wanting to read through 5 pages for one comment.)

    But I believe that Half Elves can take EITHER the elven dexterity line, or the human adaptability line...but not both. You pick one and lose the other.

    I could be mistaken, but that is how i have come to understand the racial enhancements.
    you are correct, but elves 10 base dex 6 base con Helves 8 base all
    taking human str as a helf negates the chance for elven dexI & II you can bump 1 dex via human only.

  15. #175
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eberak2 View Post
    You are right about the toughness feat, Can't believe I forgot about that!!! Though if I drop Rapid shot (meaning drop 1 level of Ranger) to get Toughness I lose Manyshot, hmm.... What then would be better to lose; Manyshot or Improved Precise Shot? I am thinking Manyshot due to it only being burst dmg while Improved Precise Shot is always on. Thoughts?

    As for taking the fighter level I did consider that, but I want to have access to the 9th level spell Mass Heal, which means I can only splash two levels, and if I removed one level of Ranger to pick up Fighter, I would still end up snagging Rapid Shot, so it would be a bit redundant. In addition as a 2nd level Ranger I get both Rapid Shot & Two Weapon Fighting for free so it seems the better choice.

    Again thanks for you advice on this. I am really excited about playing this character once the bugs are out of it. Oh and last night I ended up snagging "The Silver Longbow"!!!!
    The Silver Bow will be with you for a while. Get used to it, 'tis a great weapon. As for which to drop, I'd personally drop IPS. Manyshot is too good. Yes, IPS increases your targets to hit, but Manyshot is a massive boost to DPS. In fact, it's the only real DPS to ranged atm. Personally, I'd go with mass cure serious or even moderate and single heal. FvS aren't necessarily clerics, but that's just me, and your reason is good for what you want.


    Quote Originally Posted by Bodic View Post
    edit: I got sucked into an extended necro forget anthing I said.
    This thread has never really been dead enough for it to be necro'ed. It got most of its replies within a week of posting it, but it's been pretty regular since then.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

  16. #176
    Community Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    The Silver Bow will be with you for a while. Get used to it, 'tis a great weapon. As for which to drop, I'd personally drop IPS. Manyshot is too good. Yes, IPS increases your targets to hit, but Manyshot is a massive boost to DPS. In fact, it's the only real DPS to ranged atm. Personally, I'd go with mass cure serious or even moderate and single heal. FvS aren't necessarily clerics, but that's just me, and your reason is good for what you want.
    Dropping IPS hmmm.... well that is something to consider I have lots of time to finalize at this point. Thanks for all your advice on this. I am really looking forward to getting this guy built. I am about 200 favor away from my 32 point build so I am holding off on creating him until I land that, at which point I will probably put the extra points into STR & CON. Anyway I really appreciate your help thanks again!!!

  17. #177
    I <3 DDO Pwesiela's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere...I think...
    Posts
    2,515

    Default

    Updated OP to reflect some game changes.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

  18. #178
    Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    7,870

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eberak2 View Post
    Pwesiela thanks for posting this, it was instrumental in helping me with my new build.

    I know Rangers make the best AA but I went with something a little bit different. I went with a FVS 18/ RGR 2 build. Now I know there are many problems with this and I know many people would discourage it, but I figured this would be a VERY FUN Character to play.

    I chose FVS for two reasons, one their bonus to Ranged Weapon dmg as well access to spells (I like being a secondary healer/buffer). I have no intention of melee so to help with that I dumped most of my Skill points into Diplomacy.

    When it is all said and done my base dmg output (Using the Silver Longbow) will be: 9-18 (3-12 Bow, +2 Elf Enhancement, +2 FVS Enhancement, +2 FVS Feat) Which is pretty darn cool if you ask me! (and I know you were!!!)

    So here is how I went about creating this. (28 Point Build)

    Code:
    Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
    DDO Character Planner Home Page
    
    Level 20 Lawful Good Elf Male
    (2 Ranger \ 18 Favored Soul) 
    Hit Points: 220
    Spell Points: 1742 
    BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
    Fortitude: 16
    Reflex: 22
    Will: 10
    
                      Starting            Ending          Feat/Enhancement
    Abilities        Base Stats         Base Stats         Modified Stats
    (28 Point)       (Level 1)          (Level 20)           (Level 20)
    Strength             14                 14                   14
    Dexterity            18                 23                   26
    Constitution         14                 14                   14
    Intelligence          8                  8                    8
    Wisdom                8                  8                    8
    Charisma             10                 10                   12
    
    Level 1 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Deity) Favored by the Silver Flame
    Feat: (Selected) Point Blank Shot
    Feat: (Automatic) Attack
    Feat: (Automatic) Elven Keen Senses
    Feat: (Automatic) Enchantment Save Bonus
    Feat: (Automatic) Heroic Durability
    Feat: (Automatic) Immunity to Sleep
    Feat: (Automatic) Light Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Magical Training
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Longsword
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Rapier
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Shortbow
    Feat: (Automatic) Medium Armor Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Shield Proficiency (General)
    Feat: (Automatic) Simple Weapon Proficiency
    Feat: (Automatic) Sneak
    
    
    Level 2 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Defensive Fighting
    Feat: (Automatic) Sunder
    Feat: (Automatic) Trip
    
    
    Level 3 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Ranged Weapons
    Feat: (Automatic) Child of the Silver Flame
    
    
    Level 4 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 5 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Fire
    
    
    Level 6 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Favored Enemy) Favored Enemy: Evil Outsider
    Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness
    Feat: (Automatic) Bow Strength
    Feat: (Automatic) Martial Weapon Proficiency (ALL)
    Feat: (Automatic) Wild Empathy
    
    
    Level 7 (Ranger)
    Feat: (Automatic) Rapid Shot
    Feat: (Automatic) Two Weapon Fighting
    
    
    Level 8 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 9 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Precise Shot
    
    
    Level 10 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 11 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 12 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Cold
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Ranged Weapons
    
    
    Level 13 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 14 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Beloved of the Silver Flame
    
    
    Level 15 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Improved Precise Shot
    
    
    Level 16 (Favored Soul)
    
    
    Level 17 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Acid
    
    
    Level 18 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Selected) Manyshot
    
    
    Level 19 (Favored Soul)
    Feat: (Automatic) Leap Of Faith
    
    
    Level 20 (Favored Soul)
    So for my level 18 Feat I had two options: Manyshot & Power Critical. I figured Manyshot is the best bet here due to burst dmg. (But if others feel differently then I am open to changing that.)

    Dex & Str will get boosted with in game Loot items.

    For my Charisma modifier I am planing on using a +2 CHA Tome and other loot items to boost it up to the minimum spell level requirements.

    I would like feedback on this build, but I intend this Character to be more of a support DPS and healer/buffer. Thoughts???
    The way to make this build work is to mix a level of wizard into it. Ideally, I'd have suggested to go half-elf with ranger dilettante as well but then you can't take Angel of Vengeance PrE.

    1 fighter, 1 wizard, 18 FvS gives you 9 feats and you can skip mental toughness (by taking elven arcanum I). If Divine Avenger comes out in U12 (which it should) then half-elf with ranger dilettante will be stronger due to the free (mini) strength shot.

    You need maximise to qualify for Angel of Vengeance PrE which is an absolute must have for any FvS as it is so powerful (and you can be AA and AoV at the same time). If you want to wait for Divine Avenger PrE then you still need at least maximise to be able to effectively heal (enhancements and items aren't enough).

    Feats for a half-elf 18 FvS (Divine Avenger)/1 fighter/1 wizard w/ ranger dilettante:
    6 base feats: Weapon Focus: Ranged, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Improved Precise Shot, Quicken Spell
    1 more out of: Toughness, Improved Critical: Ranged
    1 fighter: Manyshot
    1 wizard: Maximise spell
    1 Half-elf bonus: Ranger Dilettante (up to +8 strength to damage)

    Another alternative would be to drop down to 17 FvS to pick up all of the feats above. In this case, 2 monk is another option but quicken spell would then be skipped in favour of Zen Archery (as the main purpose of quicken spell anyway is for Mass Heal a level 9 spell that you won't get as a 17 FvS).

  19. #179
    Community Member fco-karatekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    Feats
    ...But DO NOT neglect constitution or strength. I will always recommend a starting constitution of 14. As an elf, I recommend going 14 Str, 14 Con, 10 wis, and the rest into dex. ...
    After this truly inspiring guide, I have built three Ranger AA's over the past year and a half - one following this religiously - and two mods. I have to add only ONE caveat to the whole guide - if you are A NEW PLAYER, GO 16 CON!

    Pweisela is correct - you CAN go 14 CON, but only after you know what you're doing. I went 14 con as a newb, and was absolutely miserable. I tossed that character, went 16 CON, learned the ropes, and now know that the 14 CON will work, but it relies on the player to know his limits. I also went Helf on the latter, and the versatility, etc enhancements REALLY make that race shine as an AA.

    Other than that, this guide should be required reading for ALL ranged characters.

    Thanks for the guide - back to farming Cannith for me!

  20. #180
    Community Member fco-karatekid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    South Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    3,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eberak2 View Post
    ...I would like feedback on this build, but I intend this Character to be more of a support DPS and healer/buffer...
    How'd this FvS turn out?

    Specifically, how's its CLW, CMW, and CSW?

    My helf AA took advantage of the healing amp line, and I'd like to compare her output (120-ish CMW and 200-ish CSW) with what your results were. For mine, it's absolutely amazing to be TWF'ing on manyshot timer and refill at half my HP bar with a CSW. Granted, the blue bar goes away in a few casts, but REALLY keeps her alive and viable!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This form's session has expired. You need to reload the page.

Reload