Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    Which level were you leveling to? Not all levels get feats, only levels 1,3,6,9,12,15,18. You get new FE on levels 1,5,10,15,20.
    Any level with a new feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureal View Post
    Are you leveling up according to a path, or are you going custom? If you are leveling up on a path, it makes all of the choices for you, some of them non-optimal.
    Ah, that would be it. thanks!
    Sarlona ~ Lrenaj Mornaur ♦ Lrel Jayden ♦ WeepingAngel

What about AA's equipment?
    I understood the bows line but I really dunno how I've to fill all my equipment slot!!
    Someone can help me?
    ALL HAIL TO ITS SQUISHY-MAJESTY SIR KNORR, LORD OF OOZES AND MASTER OF SLIME
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=386688

Quote Originally Posted by Nephilia View Post
    What about AA's equipment?
    I understood the bows line but I really dunno how I've to fill all my equipment slot!!
    Someone can help me?
    See post #5
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Glenalth View Post
    See post #5
    Saw it before... about the rest of equipment?
    Which armor, bracers, ring, yak yak yak?

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

That depends on what you want? If it's just the best item in each slot, check out the loot thread in the Guide forum.

Otherwise, you need to have an idea of what effects you want. Bracers are generally armor or strength, but there are various effects you can get on named items that differ. Armor probably doesn't matter a lot to an archer, you'd want something with a resistance effect, maybe, or Dragontouched - you can get lots of effects on DT, but it's a grind even with the new system.

Rings are a good place to put ability enhancements, and if you're planning all the way to level 20 you'll eventually want rings from the Tower of Despair raid.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)
    ---------------------------------------

Specific items are going to depend a lot on your build and your play style. You should probably take a look through the loot lists and figure out what your ideal setup is and then figure out what easy to get items make good placeholders until you can get your ideal gear.

Personally, I'm trying to maximize both melee and ranged damage while keeping a respectable ability for self healing. Here's my load-out.

Goggles
    Tharnes
    True seeing, +5/+8 to sneak attacks, +15 spot/search.

Bracers - Swap spot
    Tharnes
    For set bonus, -20% threat, ghost touch.

Claw
    For set bonus, +2 dmg and 10% threat.
    Will be replaced with Wind Howler Bracer next update (ranged attacks get +2/+1 and 10d6 sonic damage on vorpal)

Gloves - Swap spot
    Bramble-Casters
    10pts DR vs most ranged attacks. Let's you ignore archers entirely in many quests, very good if you are drawing their fire to protect others.

Claw
    For above mentioned set bonus. Gets tossed next update.

Seven Fingered
    For UMD

Eternity
    When I'm in Healing mode.

Boots
    30% striding
    Because positioning is now your game. Gyroscopic would be ideal here, as are epic Dustless. Been unlucky on pulling interesting boots so far. Madstone would be good for more damage, but I need my spells.

Helm
    Minos Legens
    Until something better comes along or I get bored and make a Min II HP item.

Necklace - Swap spot
    Torc of Prince Raiyum
    So I can get my precious SP back for more healing.

Silver Flame Necklace
    Deathblock and absorption for dealing with beholders and other nasties.

Draconic Necklace
    For GH clicky

Cloak
    Greensteel, Concordant Opposition
    Disease Immunity, Blindness Immunity, 150 elemental spell power, +5 to UMD skills, +6 Wisdom, and more precious SP regaining.

Trinket - Swap spot
    Shimmering Arrowhead
    +2 attack is important since I built for strength, and while the crit profile on a bow isn't great the +4 seeker is still useful.
    The crippling on ranged attacks ensures you can keep your movement advantage when you need it.

Head of Good Fortune
    +2 luck to saves and skills, primarily for UMD but helpful for running through elite/epic traps.

Pale Lavender Ioun Stone
    Suck up those spells, blasphemy stuns, and curses.

Belt
    Knost's Belt
    For the set bonus, the +6 Con and Greater False Life are a wonderful bonus.

Rings
    Encrusted Ring
    +9 Strength and Frenzied Berserker set bonus for +2 damage.

Connor's Band
    +9 Dexterity
    To be replaced with AA ring at some point. Hopefully they update it in the future to make it more interesting.

Armors
    Dragontouched, dragontouched, dragontouched. Use robes for fast swapping and build multiple sets to fill your needs.
    Combat set has +5 resist, Corrosive Salt Guard, Disintegration Guard
    Healing set has Greater Potency, Healing Amp 10% & 20%
    Utility set has +6 CHA for UMD, +3 dex skills for sneaky sneaky, and smiting for my Min II scimitars.

Lvl 16 Robe of Shadow
    3x Nightshield clickies

Cloth of the Faithful
    Another Nightshield clicky and Wizardry VI for more precious SP. Is great SR at level when TRing.

I'm not going to get into weapon selection and shields (a good shield can be quite important) as I've already spent too much time typing this out when I'm supposed to be baking bread for tomorrow's festivities. Just remember there is no one right way to play, find your path and what works for you.
    Last edited by Glenalth; 11-24-2010 at 02:13 PM.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Glenalth gave a good breakdown of good item loot, but really it does depend o. What you're looking for. Feel free to myddo Pwesiela to take a look at what she's wearing if you want. Basically, you're wanting a str item, a dex item, heavy fortification, a con item, greater false life (sensing the importance of up yet?), and armor depending on what you're doing (dt is great for this). I'd add more, but I'm on my iPod, and it's a bit more difficult.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Thanks a lot all for your help
    Sincerly I wish to min/max both damage so now I've got at least a good idea of what I really need ^_^

Community Member wax_on_wax_off's Avatar

human adaptability: damage (or sometimes attack) is a really awesome enhancement that humans and half-elves have access to which can be a real boon for your manyshot.

manyshot + human adaptability: damage + fighter/rogue haste boost = win

I'm not sure if mentioned but do you suggest pure ranger or splashed ranger? I have seen numerous posts indicating that splashed ranger is very viable for AA due to ranger capstone not working very well and not stacking with quiver from LotD for instance. Picking up 1 rogue for better trap skills/UMD and fighter or monk is nice.

Charged gauntlet's lightning strike works on ranged attack?

And could the black dragon hide be usefull?
    Last edited by Nephilia; 11-25-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Community Member

from what i've read in this thread, AA capstone doesnt stack with Gilvaenor's ring, so i'm wondering whether 18/1/1 with rogue for UMD and fighter for an extra feat is preferred to pure 20 AA

i'm considering LRing an existing 34 point toon (currently 18/1/1 exploiter) into an AA, I have Gilvaenor set lying around (everyone assumes rangers must be ranged, rather than tempest), and wll predominantly use the toon for epics/raids, especially EDQ

so my question is: ranger 20, or 18/1/1?

My suggestion would be to level up as 1/1/18 till you hit capstone and then LR+3 to swap to pure ranger and obtain the Ranger Capstone. But staying 1/1/18 won't kill you, see below.

AFAIK, the ranged alacrity boni are as follow:

Arcane Archer Set: +10% ranged alacrity (competence) [mlvl 18]
    Ranger Capstone: +20% ranged alacrity (competence) [mlvl 20]
    Rogue Haste Boost: +15% ranged alacrity (competence) [mlvl 1]

Black Dragonscale {leather or docent}: +10% ranged alacrity (enhancement) [mlvl 14]
    Docent of Quickening: +10% ranged alacrity (enhancement) [mlvl 12]
    Quiver of Alacrity: +10% ranged alacrity (enhancement) [no mlvl]
    Haste: +25% ranged alacrity (ehancement) [mlvl 4 for pots, mlvl 5 or 6 for spell]

It is to be noted that competence and enhancement boni DO STACK with each other, but not with another bonus of the same type.
    Keeping this in mind, the best speed "combos" IMHO are:

lvl 1-3: Rogue Haste Boost I + Quiver of Alacrity = +25% (in case of a TR toon which has access to a QoA via the TR cache)
    lvl 1-3: Rogue Haste Boost I = +15%
    lvl 4-19: Rogue Haste Boost I + Haste = +40% (with BAB 19)
    lvl 20: Ranger Capstone + Haste = +45% (with BAB 20)

As you can see, the endgame attack speed are slightly different (5%), so by going 18/1/1 you wouldn't lose that much attack speed.
    What I don't know is if the higher BAB of a pure ranger would also increase his attack speed... Can someone put some input on this?
    Last edited by Maren_Vond; 11-25-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    "It's better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven."
    Legions of Hell
    Phaeden FvS20/Epic3 ~Phaeder~ Brb12/Ftr6/Rog2 (TR1) Phaedes Rgr20 Phaedex Wiz20 Phaedez Brb20

So, if I got the point, I can stack 1 competence bonus with 1 enhancement bonus, right?
    good to know, thanks a lot!!!

Yes, enhancement and competence boni stack.

And the Charged Gauntlets do not work on ranged weapons, you will have to wait for the Wind Howler Bracers (next update).
    Legions of Hell
    Phaeden FvS20/Epic3 ~Phaeder~ Brb12/Ftr6/Rog2 (TR1) Phaedes Rgr20 Phaedex Wiz20 Phaedez Brb20

Charged gauntlet's lightning strike works on ranged attack?

And could the black dragon hide be usefull?
    Gauntlets do not work with ranged, but there is a ranged version coming out next update.

The Black Dragonhide, works but since haste overrides it it's probably not worthwhile to farm. Check out the Quiver of Alacrity from the Abbot raid instead.
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Quote Originally Posted by Maren_Vond View Post
    My suggestion would be to level up as 1/1/18 till you hit capstone and then LR+3 to swap to pure ranger and obtain the Ranger Capstone. But staying 1/1/18 won't kill you, see below.

AFAIK, the ranged alacrity boni are as follow:

Arcane Archer Set: +10% ranged alacrity (competence) [mlvl 18]
    Ranger Capstone: +20% ranged alacrity (competence) [mlvl 20]
    Rogue Haste Boost: +15% ranged alacrity (competence) [mlvl 1]

Black Dragonscale {leather or docent}: +10% ranged alacrity (enhancement) [mlvl 14]
    Docent of Quickening: +10% ranged alacrity (enhancement) [mlvl 12]
    Quiver of Alacrity: +10% ranged alacrity (enhancement) [no mlvl]
    Haste: +25% ranged alacrity (ehancement) [mlvl 4 for pots, mlvl 5 or 6 for spell]

It is to be noted that competence and enhancement boni DO STACK with each other, but not with another bonus of the same type.
    Keeping this in mind, the best speed "combos" IMHO are:

lvl 1-3: Rogue Haste Boost I + Quiver of Alacrity = +25% (in case of a TR toon which has access to a QoA via the TR cache)
    lvl 1-3: Rogue Haste Boost I = +15%
    lvl 4-19: Rogue Haste Boost I + Haste = +40% (with BAB 19)
    lvl 20: Ranger Capstone + Haste = +45% (with BAB 20)

As you can see, the endgame attack speed are slightly different (5%), so by going 18/1/1 you wouldn't lose that much attack speed.
    What I don't know is if the higher BAB of a pure ranger would also increase his attack speed... Can someone put some input on this?
    There are still reports both ways of capstone stacking with the ToD set. If you have one, please check out the testing thread in this forum and run a couple sets for the good of archers everywhere.

Ranged attack speed enhancements only grant about 1/2 of the stated bonus so the speed difference isn't as much, though the limited boosts will hamper your overall ranged ability.
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Sadly, I don't have the complete ToD set, so I cannot help on those calculations.
    At least, not yet.
    Legions of Hell

Quote Originally Posted by Maren_Vond View Post
    Yes, enhancement and competence boni stack.

And the Charged Gauntlets do not work on ranged weapons, you will have to wait for the Wind Howler Bracers (next update).
    can u say me when update 8 will be released??
    And the new quest's chain will be for free or p2p?

can u say me when update 8 will be released??
    And the new quest's chain will be for free or p2p?
    There's no date yet. We're still waiting.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Also, for you folks that aren't keeping up with the Lamannia forums...

From the preview server. Drops in the upcoming "Operation: Blockade Buster" quest.
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast