Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by AylinIsAwesome View Post
    Not every player can finish a T3 Shroud item by the time they cap, especially if they're new.

It's been a while since I've played my AA, so I may be mistaken, but I thought I remembered the DoT from Acid procing when you hit mobs with Improved Precise Shot.

Regardless, I do agree with Terror Arrows + Paralyzing Bow for when you need to do CC. Only way to use Terror Arrows in a group.
    All of the Imbued Arrow's damage continue with each hit from Improved Precise Shot. (I think that is what you mean?) So yeah, you get Acid spread across multiple enemies if you tag them with an arrow through another target.. But the same goes for the all of them.

And I can totally agree w/ the T3 aspect.. I didn't get my Lightening II bow until I was capped.. And I had the full ingredients prior to making the character... Except that first blasted crystal. *mutter mutter*

Incorrect.

The attack speed increase of the capstone is rated at somewhere between 12% and 15%, and the set is at 10%. The two do not stack with one another.

You can get by with the AA set from Shav instead of the capstone.
    You understand that all ranged speed increases are ~half right? So that is 25% to 10% or 13% to 5%. It is not 13% to 10% as you would suggest.

Community Member AylinIsAwesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xyfiel View Post
    You understand that all ranged speed increases are ~half right? So that is 25% to 10% or 13% to 5%. It is not 13% to 10% as you would suggest.
    Would you be able to post some numbers?

I haven't managed to get the set on my AA yet (I've only seen the ring drop when I'm on my other characters), so I haven't been able to test it yet.

Thumbs up

<>
    Last edited by merentha; 11-10-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: .

Quote Originally Posted by merentha View Post
    I heal for around 45-65ish by swapping on the Heavy Mace from Invasion (keep forgetting the name).
    Scepter of Healing.

Would you be able to post some numbers?

I haven't managed to get the set on my AA yet (I've only seen the ring drop when I'm on my other characters), so I haven't been able to test it yet.
    I have, multiple times, since we first could get the capstone on Risia back in Feb09. Others have posted the same results. I don't have the numbers on hand nor do I check anymore unless some change to speed is known added. Know it is the same for any ranged weapon, on any build. You can test this easily with just haste. Also, there is overhead on melee, speed boosts have never been exact.

I have, multiple times, since we first could get the capstone on Risia back in Feb09. Others have posted the same results. I don't have the numbers on hand nor do I check anymore unless some change to speed is known added. Know it is the same for any ranged weapon, on any build. You can test this easily with just haste. Also, there is overhead on melee, speed boosts have never been exact.
    I see.

Well, thank you for correcting my mistake.

Community Member

Also, there is overhead on melee, speed boosts have never been exact.
    What do you exactly mean by overhead on melee?

Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    lvl 15: Weapon Finesse/Improved Critical: Slashing (for non-finesse characters)
    lvl 18: Improved Critical: Piercing (for finesse characters)/Power Attack (non-finesse characters)
    Does power attack work for ranged weapons? If so, it seems like power attack at 15 and weapon finesse at 18 (use finesse weapons till then) might be a nice way to go too.

The Silver Bow. Until you get a GS bow, and sometimes even after, this bow is your ultimate weapon against 90% of the mobs in this game. It has an increased base damage. It has an improved crit range, and it’s available at lvl 6. There is no reason for any AA to not have this in their arsenal. It drops from the lvl 9 quest “The Church and the Cult” in House P. The questgiver is up on top of the Golden Wing Inn. It really isn’t a difficult quest. If you don’t have this bow, go get it. Now. I’m not kidding. Stop farming favor or xp and get this bow.
    I just wanted to thank you for this info specifically. My own AA is a level 7 elf ranger that I really do enjoy playing (but mostly solo). I have decent melee weapons for her, but had only junky bows. Went to run that quest today and got the Silver Longbow on the first try.

+1 rep, thank you.
    Nivinith Spellsinger Bard
    Peace, Love, & Broccoli
    "If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold,
    it would be a much merrier world."
    -JRR Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Sani_Medicor View Post
    Does power attack work for ranged weapons? If so, it seems like power attack at 15 and weapon finesse at 18 (use finesse weapons till then) might be a nice way to go too.
    It does not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sani_Medicor View Post
    It doesn't, but that does not mean that Power Attack isn't worth considering as a feat choice.
    I don't have a zerging problem.

I'm zerging. That's YOUR problem.

Whoo! Leave for a weekend and come back to find all sorts of stuff! Where to begin?

Well, how about here:
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post
    In my post above, I was mostly pointing out options.

I mostly agree with your op on how to build an AA.

I have a few different preferences, but those are just to suite my tastes, I don't try to pass them off as a better choice for most people.

Anyway, just wanted to show possible options if someone wanted to go those routes.
    Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by voodoogroves View Post
    Have you had any experience w/ a dumped-dex build using more STR/WIS and Zen Archery?

Something built like an exploiter perhaps; since Rangers get their combat feats w/o need for the attributes. Thief 1 / Monk 1 / Ranger rest. You could essentially dump DEX, INT and CHA within reason (though likely you'll have some points you could throw into one or the other).
    I've personally never played with Zen Archery. It may have some benefit, but most likely with a build other than the one you've put up. I'd say you'd be better off with something like 12clr/6rgr/2monk than the rogue/monk/ranger (mostly because dex is a valuable stat for rogue, monk, and ranger, so dumping dex would be detrimental to all three classes of the build. Better to go with dex and use the feat you would have used on zen archery on something else.). At least with the cleric, you get healing and several valuable spells. But that's neither here nor there. Zen archery would be something I'd want to play around with before saying yea/nay on though. I imagine it would be a feat more to benefit the secondary purpose of a character, however, rather than as a feat taken for the primary purpose. As a primary AA, I'd say (off the cuff) that it's building an archer just so you could use a certain feat. Not necessary.

The attack speed increase of the capstone is rated at somewhere between 12% and 15%, and the set is at 10%. The two do not stack with one another.

You can get by with the AA set from Shav instead of the capstone.
    This is perhaps my biggest gripe with ranged combat. The speed enhancements for ranged combat are 1/2 the advertised amount. Which is crappy programing or crappy detailing, but either way the ranged gets the shaft. However, the capstone is easier to get than the ToD set in the short term (You'll likely hit 20 before getting the set). But the two should stack....*grumble*allothegearstackswithenhancement s*grumble*

Then after you get the set, TR or LR, dropping two levels of Ranger if you want to. Rogue is nice, Sneak Attack + UMD = awesome.
    Meh, rogue sneak attack can be compensated with the Tharnes Goggles. 1d6 sneak attack really ain't that great. UMD is handy, but more of a nicety than anything else. With nothing fancy, my cure serious wounds hits for 50+, and with over 500 sp, I've never had an issue self healing. Most other things you'd want to cast (GH, teleport, blur, shield) are available on clickies.

But like you, I'd definately suggest remaining pure for your first time through so you can get a handle on the playstyle and methods of the AA, before making some wierd splash build that's likely to raise eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgog View Post
    It doesn't, but that does not mean that Power Attack isn't worth considering as a feat choice.
    Correct, PA doesn't work on ranged. However, if you've chosen to add to your strength and not go the WF route, PA will be a boon for when you go melee.

I think that's most of the comments I wanted to hit on...
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Community Member

Dear friends and fellow archers ...

... my main in 'Rahmanii' ... 20th elven ranger .... 3 x TR'd .... on Sarlona ... Guild of the Black Dragons ...

... just quickly i'd like to mention a couple of points in clarification...

1. either of the ToD archer sets will stack with haste, capstone and black Dragonhide armor .... this i have personally tested over and over ... let me be very clear ... ALL 4 OF THESE ALACRITY BONUSES STACK .... feel free to ask for a demonstration in-game ... the quantity of misinformation on this alacrity subject is significant .... ( *note: i do not as yet have the abbot quiver)

2. Rahmanii uses ranged 95% of the time ... and will lead the kill-count in approximately 80%-90% of the quests/raids that she takes part in without any inordinate thought or extra endeavor ... this is a conservative estimate and is especially true of epic and high-level elite quests... i mention this in response to several previous posts alleging that ranged dps is 'gimped' ... lol ... i may have a poor AC, moderate saves and hit-points, no rogue skills, no mass healing etc etc etc ... but Rahmanii can dps ... as can AA's in general lol ...

with all affection,

Rahmanii

Community Member

+1 gov.

the only situation i can recall using melee is when i solo bastion

althought the killcount is smth i mostly ignore as it only counts the last hits.
    AA is DPS, for sure and not to be underestestimated. it can save a ton of clrs SP (massheal doesnt always count).

Quote Originally Posted by Govynda View Post
    2. Rahmanii uses ranged 95% of the time ... and will lead the kill-count in approximately 80%-90% of the quests/raids that she takes part in without any inordinate thought or extra endeavor ... this is a conservative estimate and is especially true of epic and high-level elite quests... i mention this in response to several previous posts alleging that ranged dps is 'gimped' ... lol ... i may have a poor AC, moderate saves and hit-points, no rogue skills, no mass healing etc etc etc ... but Rahmanii can dps ... as can AA's in general lol ...

with all affection,

Rahmanii
    No doubt, a well played and well equipped AA is a boon to the party. The trick is to play it well.

Sadly, many, many, MANY AA's don't, and the rest of us suffer for it, being lumped into the "Oh great, an archer..." category.

Like you, probably, I've never been turned down by a person who knows me. But even I've been on the recieving end of ranged malice. Until the end of the quest, at least.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Pwesiela is correct.

Whoo! Leave for a weekend and come back to find all sorts of stuff! Where to begin?
    I've personally never played with Zen Archery. It may have some benefit, but most likely with a build other than the one you've put up. I'd say you'd be better off with something like 12clr/6rgr/2monk than the rogue/monk/ranger (mostly because dex is a valuable stat for rogue, monk, and ranger, so dumping dex would be detrimental to all three classes of the build. Better to go with dex and use the feat you would have used on zen archery on something else.). At least with the cleric, you get healing and several valuable spells. But that's neither here nor there. Zen archery would be something I'd want to play around with before saying yea/nay on though. I imagine it would be a feat more to benefit the secondary purpose of a character, however, rather than as a feat taken for the primary purpose. As a primary AA, I'd say (off the cuff) that it's building an archer just so you could use a certain feat. Not necessary.
    Yeah, like I said - noodling an idea and wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

I guess what started me thinking down this path was the following:
    - rangers get the feats w/o attribute requirements
    - zen archery removes the attribute requirement to hit from DEX
    - without actual ranger levels you'd still need to invest in enough DEX to qualify for the feats (and take the actual feats)
    - how much to-hit do you really need since you aren't PA-ing? can you still hit reliably well with a STR/WIS/CON build and all level-ups into STR? A 16/16/16 human for instance ...levels into STR

Again, just thinking; thanks for the response though!

Community Member

nicely said Pwesiela ...

in regards to the 'i get all the agro but have to kite in order to stay alive' problem (a problem in most groups ... not soloing or otherwise)... perhaps this is where our Dwarven and WForged brethren will show their merits as AA's because they are able to stand-and-deliver with their far superior hitpoints .... and DR in the case of the WF...

Rahmanii ( elf ) self-buffs to just over 500hp ... i find that the stand-and-deliver approach is workable most of the time and very melee-friendly ... even melee enhancing at times ... now as my 'guards' increase more and more, the 'kill em quik' mission statement is also increasingly made manifest .... those lacking shot-on-the-run will find that the -4att is well left behind also... just stand ur ground and shoot em down!

... many of the other solutions to the ranged-agro-kiting problem seem to involve a slower outpouring of dps ... which is a kind of win-lose solution as opposed to the optimal win/win with dps and melee-happiness both .... therefore although i use many methods circumstantially, i'm a big fan of 'Stand and Deliver' Archery ... done right, Rahmanii will 1. hold agro ... for other melees' sneak-attack and flank bonuses
    2. draw the mobs to the melee ... not away ...
    3. absorb all the damage herself ( and self-heal )
    4. operate at her peak dps

this is the goal ... sometimes i screw up pretty good though lol ...

i also have alot of GSteel Haste/Displacement/Stoneskin clickies ... which make the 'stand-and-deliver-' approach more viable ... my cure serious wounds heals me for about 150hp/spell also ...

hope this is helpful ...

Rahmanii

Quote Originally Posted by Govynda View Post
    nicely said Pwesiela ...

in regards to the 'i get all the agro but have to kite in order to stay alive' problem (a problem in most groups ... not soloing or otherwise)... perhaps this is where our Dwarven and WForged brethren will show their merits as AA's because they are able to stand-and-deliver with their far superior hitpoints .... and DR in the case of the WF...

Rahmanii ( elf ) self-buffs to just over 500hp ... i find that the stand-and-deliver approach is workable most of the time and very melee-friendly ... even melee enhancing at times ... now as my 'guards' increase more and more, the 'kill em quik' mission statement is also increasingly made manifest .... those lacking shot-on-the-run will find that the -4att is well left behind also... just stand ur ground and shoot em down!
    Particularly why I advise new rangers to get aquainted with melee combat. I think a lot of new ranged characters get into a "I must get as far away from the enemy as possible" mentality and fail to realize just how damaging it is for the group they are in. The mob beating on them will die faster if they
    a) hold their ground and fight (either melee or ranged)
    b) bring the mob to their party, thus alowing them to take the aggro (intim or hate)

As for Shot on the Run, I used to have it back in the day when you couldn't reload your weapon while running without it. Boy, those were the days. Glad they fixed that. But it also meant waiting for the introduction of Fred to switch out two feats (I kept dodge for a while, but have since replaced that too). At level 20, if a -4 to attack honestly means the difference between life and death on your ranged character, you invested too much into charisma.

Also, I am seriously unconvinced as to your statements about the alacrity bonuses. In my own tests, I have failed to see any improvement in RoF (and still working on getting my own quiver too...*stinkingTHFhumanpaladinthinkingthathecouldu seitmorethananAAcouldbecausehe'sthatspecialandwill neverTRintoarangedcharacter*)
    Archangels
    Pwesiela is correct.

Community Member

Haste / AA Tod set / Capstone / Black Dragonhide

these all stack ...

... i can't help that they do ...

... they just do ...

... u made me a little nervous stating so confidently that they don't stack so i just went and timed a few minutes of shooting a wall again ... just like all the other times i tested, ... blackdragon armor gives me 3 more/minute ... capstone gives 7 more/minute ... AA ToD set gives 3 more/minute on top of the black dragonhide ... etc ...

they all stack my friends ... sry lol

Rahmanii

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast