Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Trevorlar View Post
    Thanks Glenalth. Sorry for the ignorance...swap a feat. Did not know you could do this? Is this the option to redo enhancements?

Thanks again.
    Two options that both involve Fred in House Jorasco.

1. Talk to Lockania in the Marketplace and complete her quest for a free feat swap with Fred. Typically you want to avoid doing this at early levels as at high levels swaps become very expensive.

2. If you're level 4 still, get a Flawed Siberys Dragonshard and a bit of plat and talk to Fred.
    You can buy the shard from the DDO store, but the low level ones are very cheap and plentiful. I think at level 5 you have to use an Imperfect Siberys shard instead, which is only slightly more expensive.
    Glenalth Woodwalke ■ Preston the Ranger ■ Brisqoe the Dentist ■ Prescription Liberator
    AoK @ Argonnessen

Community Member

Thanks Glenalth. Sorry for the ignorance...swap a feat. Did not know you could do this? Is this the option to redo enhancements?

Thanks again.
    Thanks...beat me to the punch...found the Fred talk while you were typing.

Community Member

Thanks...beat me to the punch...found the Fred talk while you were typing.
    Got it done. Had the shards already. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by first_wolf View Post
    oh thanks for the AC answer, now i know what my fighter most aim for to get usefull amaunt of AC.

+5 fullplate
    +5 addy tower shield
    defender prestege
    +4 protection ring
    compate expertise
    dexterity and dwarven+fighter enchantments to get higher max dex
    Enough tumble skill to tumble without using enchantments on tumble and lessening incumbrance XD

and i'm still only at 48 AC
    Grab some barkskin pots and that will give you your 50+ AC. Though my ranger had a buffed AC of ~41 around level 10 which was proving adequate up until GH so 48 is probably still going to do you right until then.

Quote Originally Posted by cpito View Post
    It's taken me a long time to work up the courage to read this thread and it's good to see that my misgivings were misplaced. It's an excellent beginner's guide.

I would like to expand on the subject of making an archer useful, especially in end game raids and such. A ranger's midline DPS and maneuverability makes her an excellent candidate for aggro management. Let's take VoD as an example: In most typical runs, there is one main tank who will either intimidate or hate tank Sally. Sally likes to teleport away at which point the main tank scrambles out of his corner to do his thing to regain aggro while everyone else stands around. Instead of anyone scrambling, the AA can jump into the main tank's corner, instantly draw Sally back and dump aggro back on the main. This method comes in especially handy once Sally starts chaining. (Of course, as my cleric can testify, Archers can also make this part more difficult by standing in the middle of the group and pewpewpewing so Sally runs right past the scrambling main tank and lays a curse-laiden wallop on the party instead)

A similiar method can be used on the Judge in ToD1 if the archer learns how to stay out of flinging range. This helps keep him off any characters who may be chained in the lava. The start of Shroud5 pulling mini-bosses off kiter (IPS off please) and positioning Harry for surrounding is another job the archer should be used for. An AA with FE: abberation is the only kill team you need for Hound. Heck, even in Reaver a ranged toon should be able keep him cursed and shattermantled or destructed without drawing aggro then use the same weaponry on the ellies making them much easier to defeat.

As an avid archer, I've always thought that most people's real issue with playing them is that they require more thinking than your typical character. That leads to the issue most people have with archers in groups... too many non-thinkers playing them.
    I agree, the ranger feels much more like an FPS to me which I why I like playing my AA so much. Surviving means dodging, dipping, diving, ducking, and dodging. I find myself bunny hoping around the dungeon for fear that the next hallway I step out into is going to get me caught with a AWP head shot and the DM is going to announce, "HEAD SHOT!!!" to the entire party. My epic F41L will be talked about over voice for the next ten minutes. If I'm standing still or not checking over my shoulder every other second I get the feeling that something bad is going to befall me. With comparatively low HP, a negligibly AC at end game, and a front line roll, a ranger needs to stay on their toes at all times. If a ranger plays like this, however, she can get work done.

Updated the OP to reflect my views on h-orc and h-elf AA possibilities. Feel free to help educate me on these two races, as they are the ones I have the least experience with.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Quote Originally Posted by Victorie View Post
    Pwesiela is correct.

Hey Pwesiela AWESOME guide! I'm a newer player and I just started experimenting with the custom build feature. I've been using this guide for the basis of my AA. I have a question here :

Quote Originally Posted by Pwesiela View Post
    Weapon Selection
    Vorpal weapons. If you go weapon finesse, get a pair of vorpal kukri’s or sickles. If you don’t go WF, get one of the aforementioned or longsword, scimitar, or exotic slasher you may have access to. For trash mob melee clean up, there’s few things better than dualing vorpals. They may take some time or money to acquire, but keep working at it.
    I plan on going weapon finesse, I don't understand (noob here) what would be the difference between dualing vorpal kukris and dualing vorpal scimitars?
    Last edited by Ryryman; 11-21-2010 at 09:14 PM.

Only light weapons and rapiers are finessable. Thus, when wielding a Kukri or a Sickle the Dex mod will be applied to the attack bonus. A Scimitar will use the Str mod because it is not a light weapon.
    You could also use a rapier, which has the same damage profile as a Scimitar and also benefits from a Racial enhancement line, but going TWF with two rapiers will give you a worse to hit bonus than two Kukris.
    Toons on Orien: Meinir // Flodur // Twiddler // Thorkar // Impetor // Juliacantor // Minor all Soko Irrlicht
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargouille View Post
    We may or may not intentionally insert in red herrings, purple mackerels, or horses of different colors. Void where prohibited. Not available in all planes of existence.

Oh ok. Thank you for clearing that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryryman View Post
    Hey Pwesiela AWESOME guide! I'm a newer player and I just started experimenting with the custom build feature. I've been using this guide for the basis of my AA. I have a question here :

I plan on going weapon finesse, I don't understand (noob here) what would be the difference between dualing vorpal kukris and dualing vorpal scimitars?
    Kukri's benefit from the weapon finesse feat. If you went scimis, your to-hit would be based on your str and not your dex. So, if you do have WF, and if your dex is higher than your str, you want kukri's or sickles.

And thanks!
    Archangels
    Pwesiela - Completionist Arcane Archer; Pia - Silver Flame Assassin; Aes - of the Blue Ajah; Insene - Deathpriest; Enaila - Aiel Bodyguard; Uduk - Dwarven Meatwall; Vitalien -Warder
    Pwesiela is correct.

Kukri's benefit from the weapon finesse feat. If you went scimis, your to-hit would be based on your str and not your dex. So, if you do have WF, and if your dex is higher than your str, you want kukri's or sickles.

And thanks!
    Awesome, thank you!

Community Member

Thumbs up

This is my first time posting here, and I'd like to thank Pwesiela for the extremely useful guide for all newbies out there like me.

I took your guide as a base but decided to change it a little bit. I went for the STR route, with starting stats as an elf like this: 18 str / 18 dex / 12 con / 8 wisdom (32 pt build) - all level up in str.

Decided to dump entirely the wisdom in favor of max str and max dex (hoping the obligatory mental toughness feat would cover me on the mana side). With that, I thought that I would be able to: get a decent dex with the +5 elven enhancements and a good str score for melee and good damage on both melee and bows. I decided to leave con at 12, even though I know it's kind of squishy, but I had to compromise somewhere...

I also ate a +1 str tome and a +1 wisdom tome at lvl 11 (found both - I'm new at the game, so I have no funds to acquire them myself). The wisdom one was instrumental in getting me to 14 wisdom with a +5 item, and with a Power VII item, I have enough mana for buffs (for myself and the party).

Regarding feats, I will obviously skip weapon finesse (one of the reasons for me to go the str route was to free up one feat). I also took toughness at lvl 9 due to my squishiness (wasn't much of a problem anyway. Wearing moderate fortification and improved false life when it was possible saved me on the lower levels). I'm not sure if I'm going to take power attack or something else. I'm worried my to-hit might suffer too much with PA on.

Currently, I'm at lvl 12, and all I have to say is that I'm LOVING the ranger! Debuffing mobs with cursespewing bows from far away and paralysing them with paralysing bows or weapons when they get close really helps the healers and the melee. Manyshot is truly impressive with improved precise shot. I'm currently in the process of acquiring greater bane bows for specific mobs, but they are hard to drop at my level.

I still am struggling a bit with the targeting system in ddo... How do you choose your targets? Do you use tab, click on the specific mob you want to target with the right mouse button...? I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Also, if I stray a bit from the targeted creature, the target goes to another one. Is there a way to stick the target to a specific creature until it goes out of sight?

I have no idea how this lightly tweaked build will work out on higher levels. I guess I'll see when I get there.

My favorite class was the bard, but I think I changed my mind now. And that's, in part, thanks to you, Pwesiela! Thank you very much!

And thanks!
    Don't forget about Hand Axe. It's generally a cheaper alternative to a vorpal light weapon.

Vorpal Sickles normally cost an arm and a leg, way more than they're worth and Kukris are almost always over-priced for how effective they actually are.

Centre of the Universe-ish, winterland version

Regarding Power Attack, your to-hit should be fine. By my calculations you should be able to get to a 30 Str with a +6 enhancement item, and then throwing on Ram's Might gets you to 32. That should be fine, most enemies at higher levels don't have huge ACs, and I have little trouble hitting them with my Power Attack on and 30 Str. Just look to optimize your gear: +5 weapons, and/or greater banes, and heroism potions give you a +2 that stacks with pretty much anything.
    ---------------------------------------
    * Thelanis - Mercure *
    C.L.A.W. (Council of Law and War)

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercureal View Post
    Regarding Power Attack, your to-hit should be fine. By my calculations you should be able to get to a 30 Str with a +6 enhancement item, and then throwing on Ram's Might gets you to 32. That should be fine, most enemies at higher levels don't have huge ACs, and I have little trouble hitting them with my Power Attack on and 30 Str. Just look to optimize your gear: +5 weapons, and/or greater banes, and heroism potions give you a +2 that stacks with pretty much anything.
    I see, thanks for your response! I have 2 heroism clickies that I have always on, it really helps. I also collect some divine strength clickies (or was it power? the one that gives +6 to str and fighter BaB - it was actually for my bard, but I juggle them amongst my characters), and use them before a boss or hard battles.

I guess I should leave it for last, then. For now, I'm using a +1 shortsword with cursespewing and a +1 longsword with paralyzing. That's all I managed to buy with my current funds. I noticed that +4 or +5 weapons with good effects on them have very high level requirements, and prohibitive prices on the AH, so I'll have to pull them out myself from some quest or raid.

Things might get better if I enter a guild later on, considering ship buffs and all that.

On a side one, one thing that attracted to me in this game was the community. Seems like one of the best aspects of DDO. It's really newbie friendly, all things considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenrir_Lorengard View Post
    I still am struggling a bit with the targeting system in ddo... How do you choose your targets? Do you use tab, click on the specific mob you want to target with the right mouse button...? I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.
    I usually right click on my first target and use tab once the fight starts, because they're hard to click on when they're moving around. It's hard to hit or click a moving target unless they're running directly toward/away from you.
    Also, if I stray a bit from the targeted creature, the target goes to another one. Is there a way to stick the target to a specific creature until it goes out of sight?
    [/quote]
    You probably have soft targeting on (targets the nearest thing to your white circle). The default way to turn it off is by pressing G.
    "Sometimes you have to roll a hard six." After the funeral, we all wondered why he didn't just take 10.

Yeah, good weapons are fairly pricey on the AH. But you're also coming up on the levels where your money-making ability increases dramatically. If you're VIP or have Gianthold, there are collectibles (relics) that drop there that sell for nice amounts on the AH, once you have enough for yourself. And in the Orchard of the Macabre (part of the Necropolis IV area), there are more collectibles (tapestries et. al.) that also sell quite well. Plus, decent items start dropping for you in chests, and what you don't want you can auction. Decent weapons, mithril armour, and +4 and up ability-boosting items should all sell for nice amounts on the AH.

And a guild will help too, if you join an active one of a good size.
    * Thelanis - Mercure *

This is probably a n00b question, and may have already been answered.
    How do you pick what feat you get when leveling? I have an AA, and I wanted point blank shot so I could conjure arrows.
    Yet the only way I've found to get a feat I wanted when it wasn't the standard, was to talk to Fred.
    Sarlona ~ Lrenaj Mornaur ♦ Lrel Jayden ♦ WeepingAngel

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaCereal View Post
    How do you pick what feat you get when leveling? I have an AA, and I wanted point blank shot so I could conjure arrows.
    Yet the only way I've found to get a feat I wanted when it wasn't the standard, was to talk to Fred.
    Which level were you leveling to? Not all levels get feats, only levels 1,3,6,9,12,15,18. You get new FE on levels 1,5,10,15,20.
    Archangels
    Pwesiela is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by NinjaCereal View Post
    Are you leveling up according to a path, or are you going custom? If you are leveling up on a path, it makes all of the choices for you, some of them non-optimal.
    * Thelanis - Mercure *

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast