Default Consolidated list of Trapmaking improvement suggestions

I'm no trapmaking expert but I know a lot of you folks have a lot of great ideas for improving the feature. Let's see 'em. From my limited experience, here are some obvious improvements.

1. Improve the cost-benefit ratio. The cost-to-benefit ratio of the traps is very, very low. This can be improved a number of ways: lower the trap part requirement, increase trap parts recovered per trap, or increase the damage of the traps.

2. Make the DC of a spell trap based on the rogue's level and/or tiers of the Mechanic PrE, NOT the scroll level.

3. Make traps recoverable once set, if not activated by a mob.

4. Remove the timer on the traps. A trap should be permanently active after it is set and not turn off after a short period of time.

5. Reconsider the use of Trap the Soul gems as a trap component. No other class skill relies on another class for its use. Additionally, one of the gems (water elemental) is so rare that it prohibits the construction of Deadly Cold Traps. As far as I know, the only way to get that gem is to use a Trap the Soul Shroud weapon in Epic Turn the Tide.

6. Dramatically increase the radius of the noisemaker trap. In its current form, it is nearly useless.

Any others?

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

I support this thread

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Draccus View Post
    Any others?
    * The Free Agent Vendor sells Trap Bags, which can contain both trap parts and the traps themselves. Heck, let it store Thief Tools too.

* Combining a vial with mechanical parts creates a noisemaker grenade.

* Limit the number of mines that can be effectively deployed in close proximity. Additional mines aren't wasted, but won't trigger until several seconds after all higher-priority nearby mines have gone first.

* Grenades are shifted to work more like a spell than a weapon:
    a. The damage increases, a lot.
    b. The cooldown increases, a lot.
    c. Instead of equipping like a weapon, the grenade is immediately thrown when the icon is pressed.
    Last edited by Angelus_dead; 07-21-2010 at 01:23 PM.

damage feedback

I'm not sure how I feel about allowing non mechanics to have the trapmaking feat.

Allow me to attach grenades to my bolts for exploding bolts, like in The Dukes of Hazard opening credits.