Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guild fee

Community Member

Default Guild fee

Heard a funny thing today, about a new:ish guild on Thelanis that charges 4000 pp a month - per character - for membership. It was a new member that asked in advice if this was the norm in DDO, so this is all just hearsay and I won't give out the guild name as it could very well just be loose talk or a joke.

But it raises an interesting question - with guild levels, there will be advantages to be in a guild beyond the "old ones", as you will now also be able to get some quite nifty boosts and use guild-only items. So what do you think - will we see LFM:s saying "Join the Korthos Empire guild, 75th level, 1000 pp a month" soon? (Guild name example just made up by me)
    Various hedge-wizards and halfwits, please see MyDDO for all your squelching needs
    Lyrandar 2006 - Devourer 2007 - Thelanis 2009 - Ghallanda 2010

Well, I'm actually acquainted with the notion from various other games as the guilds had upkeep and it was logical.

Since you have to buy ships and constantly resuply it with thingies it might make sense and if it's mentioned to the prospective member beforehand I don't see a problem with it.

We would never enforce such a policy in our guild but I wouldn't hold it against anyone.
    Synaan : Synay : Synaya : Syngheal
    To lead is to follow your people.

Its an interesting concept now that there actually are ongoing expenses related to a guild. I'd rather be in one where people would just all chip in to keep the ammenities active.....but I can see this becoming standard practice with the new mega-guilds forming.

Smaller casual guilds will never be able to maintain larger airships with all the really valuable ammenites, so I can understand them possibly joining together to share the benefits, and using a membership fee as a means of sharing the costs.

I am wondering if there are any plans to implement a guild tax option as a means of funding guild expenses, as in other games.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by synkos View Post
    Well, I'm actually acquainted with the notion from various other games as the guilds had upkeep and it was logical.
    Yes, just to be clear I wasn't meaning giving stacks of scrolls/sp pots to guild healers or helping out guildies with loot/plat/advice/flagging/what not, things that we all do (if guilded).

More about the large new guilds doing this for profit for the guild leader / officers. Of course the guild level they would be charging money for is also dependant on having many members (or ones that play a lot), at least when level decay starts increasing. And of course, the guild ship stuff costs lot of money, too.

Guess it could get interesting.
    Various hedge-wizards and halfwits, please see MyDDO for all your squelching needs

Nothing I would ever do, as I dont play enough to warrent it, but I could see a medium sized raid focused guild thriving with this.

Pay for alot of the raid consumables (avoiding some of the possible issues 'he did not put in this time' 'oh i put in extra last time' ect), have a few extra boss beaters in the guild bank, and would make sure that accounts were active and serious about a major guild level grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MajMalphunktion View Post
    Hate me if you want, as of right now I'm not letting anyone crack open the build for this. Nope no way. Nada. I need developers working on the expansion pack, and that only. Again, hate me all you want, but creating a whole new realm takes priority over a broken bag. This is pretty much true of a few of the other issues that crept in today also.

I have heard of this long before airships were around. Some guilds take collections or taxes to pay for their heals scroll and mem pots for when they run guild raids. Makes sense to me but I would never pay it to be in a guild. Not that I am cheap, in fact most of my characters are healers, I just don't like the idea of pay to play in guild membership. If it works for them then what's the big deal?
    My real forum Join date is July 2007. Maybe one day someone will develop the awsome technology to fix this currently unfixable bug.

I thought an incorporated tax level (a la Warhammer) would be a decent addition. Just put a 2-5% tax rate (adjustable) on your guild, and it's removed automatically whenever you detach things from the AH or sell things to the vendor, etc.

Would help finance larger airships and free the devs up to add more expensive things.

Just something I thought would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Razcar View Post

More about the large new guilds doing this for profit for the guild leader / officers.
    I see all kinds of problems arising over this. Might be nice to have the Warhammer model that taxes loot drops/sales.

Make it that the revenue can only be spent on the Airships and ammenities, and a whole lot of griefing can be avoided.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crann View Post
    I see all kinds of problems arising over this. Might be nice to have the Warhammer model that taxes loot drops/sales.

Make it that the revenue can only be spent on the Airships and ammenities, and a whole lot of griefing can be avoided.
    Good point there.

That's a nice contrast to another guild where all members below level 7 get 4k pp, to help them start their wallets a bit. (It's always annoying while you wait to get through that "Starter's Hunger" stage when you don't have another character on the server.)

I agree, I like the way warhammer automatically took a % for your guild. There will be some upkeep to have the nicer ammenities on the big ships.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by TekkenDevil View Post
    That's a nice contrast to another guild where all members below level 7 get 4k pp, to help them start their wallets a bit. (It's always annoying while you wait to get through that "Starter's Hunger" stage when you don't have another character on the server.)
    Yeah I have no idea if it's true, and even if it is they're of course free to charge whatever they want for membership in their guild, it doesn't interfere with the EULA afaik and so that's their prerogative.

But it is an interesting issue and I do not think when seen the start of this yet really. Major drama-warning ahead...

Community Member

Yes, I don't see why such a feature shouldn't be implemented, as long as it can be easily disabled and ignored.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmnh View Post
    I have a policy of not drinking anything that gets blocked by the wordfilter.
    T: Micron, Eversmile, Vs, Kreea, Reckluse | G: Wychcraft, Chuckling

Quote Originally Posted by synkos View Post
    Wouldn't be Fallen Sword, perhaps?

I've seen Guild taxes in other games as well, but those games had the tax built into the system - you knew what you were in for from the get-go. I've noticed that any free-form rules are going to be b**ched about ad nauseum, especially if you don't advertise that such rules are in place.
    There is an "Alternate" Forum, PM Strakeln for details.
    Arkats Padawan of Zen Noobility
    Wielder of the Stiffler Salute
    Eberron Lore - Lore-Keepers Lounge

Honestly I could understand why a guild would do this, however my small guild won't do it. It's totally up to the members to provide if they feel that they can. When time permits I'll do some bloodstone farming to help pay for the airship as I'm the leader (the only other players are my wife and two friends of ours who don't have access to some of the higher level quests.)

Wow, that's just plain silly IMO.

Who wants to deal with the accounting/chasing of people to pay their dues? What would you do, boot everyone that doesn't pay up ? You going to keep track of each persons join date to make sure they pay up on time ? Offer refunds if you boot them or they quit? Every time you demand something from someone, they're going to demand something back in return.

Seems like an awful headache to me. I'd rather just spend my time playing the game instead of nagging guild members for plat all the time.

For you Leaders/Officers of guilds out there:

Just for reference, take a look at the list of plat costs from the WIKI:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Guild_Airships

As an Officer or Leader of your guild, if by the time your guild reaches high enough level to use the plat priced items and you don't consider these prices to be "chump change" by then, maybe its time to do some serious looting

If people want to donate out of their own free-will, by all means, accept it; Otherwise, it's YOUR guild, you should accept the responsibilities that comes with that role.
    Leader of The Madborn, Thelanis
    Searros, Kangaros, Xearos, Fearos, Tearos, Zenros, Rocknros, Rargasauros, Whilyros, Frostyros, Rosificer, Levonestral, Clankros, Stabbyros

Quote Originally Posted by Levonestral View Post
    Wow, that's just plain silly IMO.

Who wants to deal with the accounting/chasing of people to pay their dues? What would you do, boot everyone that doesn't pay up ? You going to keep track of each persons join date to make sure they pay up on time ? Offer refunds if you boot them or they quit? Every time you demand something from someone, they're going to demand something back in return.

Seems like an awful headache to me. I'd rather just spend my time playing the game instead of nagging guild members for plat all the time.

For you Leaders/Officers of guilds out there:

Just for reference, take a look at the list of plat costs from the WIKI:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Guild_Airships

As an Officer or Leader of your guild, if by the time your guild reaches high enough level to use the plat priced items and you don't consider these prices to be "chump change" by then, maybe its time to do some serious looting

If people want to donate out of their own free-will, by all means, accept it; Otherwise, it's YOUR guild, you should accept the responsibilities that comes with that role.
    ^^ See, this is why I love The Madborn. Makes sense to me that it should be an opt-in feature, so that those with the loot can spend, while those that don't yet have the cash to blow don't need to...everyone still contributes Renown no matter what.

That being said, I wish they had a mechanic like they do in WHOL, as a previous poster pointed out. It was great...the guild leader could specify a % that automatically comes out of any coin pickups, and players had the option to contribute more depending on what they wanted to do. For example, the guild I was in had an auto-contribution of 10 or 15%, but since I could afford it, I changed my auto-contribution to 35%. It was no-hassle...no bookkeeping...just easy way to earn guild funds without gouging your members, and besides a couple whiners, there were really no complaints, as long as the guild rate itself stayed low.
    Yazston the Invoker, Nyyarlathotep, Thongo Stonesplitter, Stumpvvater Jack, Iaug Sothoth, Egostu Theman, Hastuur D'Rlyeh,
    Vehnison Deerslayer, Guendaril Kherras, Khaloss Meierson, Haestan Cloudreaver, Ygolonac
    Member of The Madborn

I tried charging my guild a monthly fee for having the joy of running with me...

Yeah, didnt go over real well.
    ~PESTILENCE~
    Looting's our business and business is good.
    Officer On Thelanis - Deathseer, Deathslasher, Deathcount, Deathslicer, Deathspinner, Deathsneak, Deathswiper, Deathdoctor

A lot of other games have an automatic tithing system built in. It's not a terrible idea since you can use it for more than airships. SP pots for raids and etc. We finance from donations and the sale of donated equipment to the guild treasurer that no one takes after a set period.
    “If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed.”

Community Member

I think it depends on the game and the guild really...

In WoW there is a guild bank that stores crafting materials, gold and other things that may be needed by the guild, so naturally in raids pieces that aren't needed or can be sold for profit are done so by the guild leader and the funds go to the bank. This is done to help progress the guild as a whole. Its nothing right out of the pocket of each member and everyone eventually has a time when they use the funds/supplies.

In DDO its a bit different. I'm a member of Alpha, and as a whole the guild is great and very pleasant. I'm a VIP member so I get tossed Turbine Points monthly...seeing as my highest level toon is 16 I really don't have a lot to spend the points on right now. So, I may buy a few potions or things for a guildy or diamonds to help upgrade the ship. The other night a very nice level 20 cleric ran me to get flagged for Shroud. Its kind of a give and take relationship.

What I'm getting at is if you put money into the guild like as a fee then you EXPECT a certain kick back and that will lead to trouble. I know if I paid plat to be in a guild I'd damn well deserve to get whatever I wanted from leadership. It doesn't cost anything to just exist as a guild...its actually only going to hurt them because if you have to pay 4k plat to be in the guild why keep your alts in it? If your alts aren't in it then all that potential guild rep they could be earning you is tossed in the toilet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast