Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Highest Ranged DPS Build?

Let me start off by saying that I know that ranged damage is subpar, although its likely to get a buff from the devs sometime. Thinking about rolling a ranged character, just for fun.

I would just like to ask whats the highest DPS ranged build (assume pure ranged damage). Would it be 20 ranger, for the capstone? Would it be a funky fighter/ranger multiclass for kensai bonuses? Would it be a Kensei III?

Edit: Does Doublestrike work on Ranged Attacks?
    Last edited by jadenkorr; 07-11-2010 at 05:55 AM.

Ranger arcane archer.

You may be able to work arcane archer in to a kensai elf but I'm not certain how good it would be.

There is also rogue mechanic repeating crossbow users they are capable of doing some great damage but only when in sneak attack range. I've used one, and when you are in sneak attack range the shot damage is great but you tend to pull aggro with that 3 shot burst.

Pure 20 Elven Ranger or 18 Fighter (Kensai 3)/1 Barbarian/1 Bard

The first gives more utility and survivability while keeping good (For ranged) damage.
    The second one is pure damage that should use the bard level to take UMD and keep it maxed. (It is still way behind the dps charts to many a melee build.

I suggest the ranger and If you like the play style and have resources tr into the kensai.
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

Human Ranger Arcane Archer with heavy repeater usage in between manyshots.
    If you are a new ranged character and don't have higher end gear, slayer arrows will do around the same damage. Once you get better gear though, the repeater starts pulling ahead by a good margin due to its higher rate of fire. I say human for the extra feat, healing amp, more con, more str, and human versatility. Elf is very viable and most would argue the better option.

Thanks everyone for all the information. It seems theres a lot of varying opinions regarding what build is the best ranged dps, probably due to less people being interested in ranged combat -> less data available

Anyone have any numbers on ranged dps?

Quote Originally Posted by jadenkorr
    Edit: Does Doublestrike work on Ranged Attacks?
    No, a ranged attack can't benefit from Double Strike effects right now.
    Server - Thelanis
    Diaries of a True Reincarnate (Wizard, Sorcerer, Melee, Divine, Artificer, Druid)

Community Member

I have no data.

I would also take into account 12fighter 6 ranger 2 monk (rogue for even more damage if you get sneakattack bonus)

Kensai 2 arcane archer elf

Does not get all the bonus 18 fighter gives. But does give you rams might (+3 damage on every arrow and 2 favorite enemies of +6)

Quote Originally Posted by MrCow View Post
    No, a ranged attack can't benefit from Double Strike effects right now.
    Hmm thats interesting, considering that both TWF & THF can benefit from Doublestrike. WAI? Im pretty sure that ranged attacks benefited from the previous attack speed increases that have now been replaced with doublestrike.

Halfling Assassin Thrower hands Down

Quote Originally Posted by GhoulsTouch View Post
    Good joke.

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

I don't know what does the best ranged DPS.

There are several routes you can go though.

But honestly, the best choice, which has little to do with best DPS is a pure Rgr.
    Especially since you talk about the Devs maybe boosting ranged in the future.

You want future proofing (resistance)...stick with a pure class.

But Ftr18/something with SP 1/ something else....maybe Rgr1. Kensei III/AA might be best.

Rog18 Assassin III/add something with SP for AA. Maybe add Rgr1. Is probably best at SA range. But not sure if it is even possible to get all the feats you need to make this build good.

An old Crit Rage II Bowbarian, may still be best.

But a pure Rgr is pretty darn good. And he has sooooo many other abilities, to make him a very powerful char in other situations as well.

So choose wisely.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Quote Originally Posted by Talon_Moonshadow View Post

But Ftr18/something with SP 1/ something else....maybe Rgr1. Kensei III/AA might be best.
    I've seen this argued before, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not seeing how +1 crit range is comparable to losing capstone speed increase ( which is ranged combat's Achille's heel to begin with ), and even more loss to attack speed for not having 20 Bab ( let's agree that permenent MS isn't WAI. We all know to enjoy it while it lasts ). Yes; Kensei get damage bonuses, but Ranger's get Favored enemies and Ram's Might.

I know you were saying you weren't sure Talon, so don't think I'm putting words in your mouth, but like I said; I've seen peeps who're convinced of this. Just don't see it happening /shrugs
    THE SEXY of ARGONNESSEN ~
    Now bringing the sexy back to AoK!!!
    Ashamed officer of : My Little PWNY
    Proud officer of :Archmagi

Quote Originally Posted by bandyman1 View Post
    I've seen this argued before, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not seeing how +1 crit range is comparable to losing capstone speed increase ( which is ranged combat's Achille's heel to begin with ), and even more loss to attack speed for not having 20 Bab ( let's agree that permenent MS isn't WAI. We all know to enjoy it while it lasts ). Yes; Kensei get damage bonuses, but Ranger's get Favored enemies and Ram's Might.

I know you were saying you weren't sure Talon, so don't think I'm putting words in your mouth, but like I said; I've seen peeps who're convinced of this. Just don't see it happening /shrugs
    I remember it was discused in a previous thread that the 25% increase in ranged attack speed does not translate into a 25% increase in rate of fire. I know that doesn't sound right, but from what was posted, attack speed for a bow is only part of the total firing animation (reloading is accounts for the other part) so the 25% increase in attack speed only affects the first part of the animation. This means the capstone only adds ~10% (? can't find thread for exact # atm) increase in overall rof. Still not bad, but much less than what one would expect from the description.
    Ghallanda: Neatoelf15wiz/1rgr, Neetoelf17wiz, NeatoManhuman13rog/6pal/1mnk, NeatoHombrehuman12ftr/6pal/2rog, Kneetoedwarf17clr, Kneedoughdrow18clr/2mnk

Minimize expectations and you'll never be disappointed

Community Member

Well lets break it down a bit. Not considering elf, since both builds could be elf.

KENIII/AA

Damage
    +2 weapon spec
    +2 greater weapon spec
    +1 Ken I
    +1 Ken II
    ~+1 Fighter Strength (can get 3 more str from enhancements and could work out to +2 dmg depending on starting stats)
    +4 Power Surge

+11 total damage

Speed
    +35% Haste Boosts

Crit Multiplier
    +1

Ranger/AA

Damage
    +10 Favored enemy
    +4 Favored enemy enh
    +1 Rams Might

+15 damage against favored enemy
    +1 damage against non favored enemy

Speed
    +20% capstone

So ranger gets more damage against favored enemy, fighter is more dps in bursts due to action boosts.

Personaly I like the more burst damage of the fighter, using your max dps when you need it. And everything about ranged DPS is bursty due to the CD on manyshot.

Feel free to fix my numbers this was just a quick post.

The problem with the kensai builds is they tend to be pretty bad when not ranging.

Rangers can carry their favored enemy and rams might bonus's to melee and also get the free twf feats. The kensai will suffer here as almost all their bonus's apply to ranged and thus when meleeing will lose most of their effectiveness. As an arcane archer you need to have a melee option or you are severely gimping your overall dps.
    Ghallanda Rerolled
    LeLodar LeLothian LeLoki LeLoman LeLonia LeLog

my question is, if the kensai 3 variant picked up a two-hander to dps with while manyshot is on cooldown, will he do more dps than the ranger version dual wielding, now that U5 has closed the gap between twf and thf

Quote Originally Posted by bandyman1 View Post

That 25% increase is actually only about half that at ~12% speed boost, unfortunately the low rate of shots regardless makes this number significantly worse off, your shots per minute goes from 61 to 67 with the ranger capstone...woohoo?
    The bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to keep me tame.
    Thelanis
    Toons: Diclonius, Sempresno, Slitmuno, Slitmdos, Slitmtres, Skyfe, Calcatrix, Marcosias, Sumona, Tarokian, Etc.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by GhoulsTouch View Post
    Actually, I find throwing Halflings of any class to be very effective.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by HarveyMilk View Post
    my question is, if the kensai 3 variant picked up a two-hander to dps with while manyshot is on cooldown, will he do more dps than the ranger version dual wielding, now that U5 has closed the gap between twf and thf
    very good point. As a fighter 18 you would have plenty of feats to grab 3-4 TWF or THF feats.

Default Imo

I have a level 20 AA, 28pt build. he was not built well as he was my first ever character in DDO. I have reworked him many times trying to fix him and have him now at a desirable point.
    Firstly, as a note, I have an AA ring form ToD crafted (+9 Dex) and a +3 Dex Tome, and his end result Dex is only 34. (But he is a 28pt build)
    O another note, I do not have the ranger Capstone, as the AA ToD set gives you ranged alacrity also, and the 2 dont stack.

Now, with a Lightning II bow and Slayer arrows, my toon has max potential for a single arrow to be over 1100pts. Even red named bosses like Harry are not immune. I also tested it out on Epic Black Loch, as none of us in the group knew if it would affect the zombies. It did, along with the Lightning Strike.
    My AA also has Imp Crit Piercing for use with rapiers, but mainly uses kukris as at the time, he didnt have a good dex to duel rapiers, so a rapier and kukri combo were better for duel wielding. I use vorpal and para combos.....cursing and para enfeebling kukris (I have a rapier set also, but the kukris work better)
    I also have Empower healing as a feat, and he has over 800 sp, so he can heal well (with the few raid healing amp items)

Now, I thought about and started what is going to be a monster build but go ranged instead of melee. I am talking rogue/ranger/fighter. He is going to be a kensai II Elven Archer. He has good trap skills, UMD and can duel wield scimitars as well as go ranged combat. He may suffer a bit overall, but currently he is a very good and versatile character to play. He has saved more than 1 party in trouble.

I am sure all you number crunchers can tell me how he will or wont work, but to be honest.....I dont care. This is a game, games are meant to be fun. I have had no rejection based on class for him yet, unlike when I first started out on my ranger, having to prove I could play the ranger well enough to earn a reputation as a decent player and get invited to groups.

I am sure there are plenty of people that can crunch the numbers to give you the maximum dps ranged build possible, but you would be much better off just making something and running with it. And have fun!
    Last edited by Lanuric; 07-11-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    Lanuric and Fenuric Halven, Arrass Katlan, Arconstruct and Kierahn the Servant, Gruntak the Songmaster, Kohahn and Dehli of the Blades, Taikiji, Shurikai and Dojuwa of the Ninjic
    Sarlona Guilds I am in:
    Ruby Covenant, Halfling Commandoes, The Harpers
    A collection of my Short Stories

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast