Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default How to play DDO with coloured 3D glasses for free

intro
    this guilde will show you how to play DDO in 3D with a pair of coloured 3D glasses you or a friend probably has kicking about somewhere.

its free
    yup, if you have some coloured 3D glasses then this whole guide will get you gaming in 3D for free! if you don't then find someone that does, knock em over the head (sap feat helps) and do what any self respecting halfing would do, "borrow" em for an undefined period of time. the previous sentence may contain excessive drama.

works for any DX9 game
    this guide is for our beloved DDO, but the driver is for DX9 and almost any DX9 game will work too. see their website for details on specific games.

for coloured glasses only, others will cost you cash
    if you have those tinted glasses from the cinema then sorry, they wont work with this. this guide is about using the cheap coloured glasses and your existing screen. any other method generally costs you cash, which is out of the scope of this guide.

perfect 3d experience at the expence of colour experience
    the very fact that the coloured glasses essentially "steal" 2 colours and use them to create depth means you will never get perfect colour in the image your looking at. this is why its free, its an old method and fundamentally flawed when it comes to showing colour pictures. its still fun though and seeing as its free and just a few clicks away well worth messing about with.

piccies
    here's one i made earlier (hmm, probably a wasted saying as i doubt the mostly american audiance was subjected to blue peter as children, go google it if your interested)

any way, here are some piccies of DDO in 3D, so grab what ever coloured glasses you have and take a look. i've covered the 3 most common types of glasses so hopefully one piccy will jump out at you. please note this is set up to my personal tastes, you will have full control of how easy on the eye it is when your using the driver.

clicky to see full size:

for red/cyan glasses:

for yellow/blue glasses

for green/magenta or trioscopic glasses

if this image works for you then you'll need to follow the extra step in post 4, which means some copy and pasting of text.
    Last edited by ReaperAlexEU; 07-08-2010 at 03:46 PM.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Play DDO in 3D, for fweeeee! how to use coloured 3D glasses with DDO.
    East? West? Which way's that? Putting East and West back on the (mini)map
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

instructions
    download, yes its free
    yes some bits cost, but not the bits we're using, we're using anaglyph and that won't time out or demand money from you. clicky clicky here, download and start installing as you would any other software, so yes that means security prompts to answer.

clicky here to see a screen shot of the website when i made my download, complete with red circles showing which bit to click on and confirmation that its all free

you can grab the beta version if you want, i've tried both and at the time of writing DDO runs fine with em. no DX10 doesnt work yet, and no i can't think if any benefits of the beta in DX9 mode.

full or anaglyph
    don't spam the next button, you have an important choice to make. anaglyph the option we need isnt selected as default, so either grab it off the list or grab full, doesnt matter which.

if its too late and you installed the whole thing dont worry. just uninstall and reinstall and go a little slower next time mr itchy trigger finger (or mrs, or other if your a forged)

once done carry on with the install clicking next.

ignore me
    irrelevant warning, move along, nothing to see. when the driver first starts it will be in their fancy 3D monitor mode, which it can't find cos we don't have one. this is not a problem as the next step fix's it

select output
    ok, if the control panel didnt jump up in your face after the install completed then go find it in your start menu. now we need to select anaglyph then the glasses you have on the right. if you have the "trioscopic" green/magenta glasses then check out the specific step in post 4. its just a copy and paste job.

dont forget to apply! seriously, its very easy to forget to click apply, no, really, ok don't believe me then! but i'll be laughing at you when you come back to this screen to sheepishly re-select your options then click apply! gets me all the time that does #mutters#

quick test
    on the help section clicky on the circled image, well, not on my screenshot but what i'm pointing to on your screen. the wizard will jump up in your face, won't harm you to walk through it. what your doing here is making sure you have the right settings for your glasses. if the colours are all screwy and the image still seems flat then you have the wrong options, try a different colour pair. if you have the green/magenta trioscopic glasses then skip down to post 4 as you have some copy and paste work to do, then come back here when your ready.

if you see stuff in 3D then your ready to fire DDO up so go read the next post.
    Last edited by ReaperAlexEU; 07-08-2010 at 03:56 PM.
    www.legendsguild.eu A light RP guild that's moved from Keeper in Europe to Thelanis
    Tired of chasing blue dots? Find a speed or striding item, vets are hooked on them and you will be too!

Community Member

DDO setup
    fire up and log in

turn wizard off
    ok, so it is kinda useful, but you can't set things up from the character select screen cos its all different in game. so press shift + numpad* to turn it off like it says at the top of the screen.

enter game, get to a safe spot.
    grab a character, any one, doesnt matter, i promise not to myDDO them and giggle. get somewhere safe with some nice scenery to look at for the "ooh and ahh" effect that will come soon.

turn DDO's numpad zoom in and out off for now
    open DDO's options and then go into keyboard bindings. scroll down and look for the numpad+ and numpad- entries, click the clear button to get rid of em. pesky gits come back next time you load up the game but thats fine, we should be set up by then. close the options screen down and get back to the game.

zoom to your normal level and work out what you look at the most in combat
    all the 2D stuff will be sat on the screen. some 3D stuff will pop out and most will be deep inside your screen. its really hard to see how many hit points you have if your looking deep into your screen at the combat. so i like to tweak the 3D to make the combat sit on my screen along with my hit points so i can keep an eye on things as i fight. my guide is based on that so find the area you focus on the most during combat.

make a note of the numbers
    when we turn 3D on and off some numbers will appear in the top left, you might want to make a note of em incase you bork the setting by pushing it too far then can't remember where you started from. erm, you probably can't see em yet but you will in the next step. just wanted to get this into your head now so your ready for it.

with glassess off set convergence on that point
    ok, that magic point i got you to think about, we're gonna use it now. if you havent already done so press numpad* to turn 3D on (toggle on and off if you want to make a note of the settings). when your done screaming in agony take the glasses off. the previous statement may be a single simple instruction with completely fabricated drama piled on top. anyway, with the glasses off use shift + numpad+ and shift + numpad- to change the convergence until the 2 coloured imaged perfectly overlap on your special point. for me that was the head of my stumpy dorf.

you're defining what depth is sat on the screen, anything closer will pop out, anything further away will go inside.

with glassess on mess with sepperation
    pop the glasses back on, the chat and other 2D bits should now be level with your special spot, everything else will either be popping out of the screen or sunk deep inside. using numpad+ and numpad- you can tweak the feeling of depth. this is adjusting how far apart the 2 images are, in theory the perfect sepperation is the distance between your eyes, but it might be wise to leave it smaller than that to make things more comfortable. while your eyes are rotating to look in and out of the picture they are still focused on your screen. this miss match between where you are looking and what you are focusing on is why some people find 3D uncomfortable. so don't go nuts, make it look good but not too extreme. chances are this is where you will want to know what number it started at. i think it defaults to 5.

well, thats it, DDO should be in 3D and barring some final tweakings should be looking quite nice.

yes, as mentioned the colours will be a little screwy, but i bet a crate has never been so interesting to look at!
    Last edited by ReaperAlexEU; 07-08-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Community Member

trioscopic
    if your here its either because i havent drowned you in waffle or more likely because you can't get 3D with your glasses and the default options. this probably means you have the new kids on the block, the trioscopic glasses that holywood have adopted for their latest set of 3D DVD's.

so clicky clicky to see if you have these glasses.

that website is a nice list of some of the films that come with these trioscopic glasses, if you have one on there, or if the colours in your glasses look a lot closer to the pics then read on. i will now attempt to teach you how to copy and paste! no, rly, thats all the magic there is to this step, the hard bit was finding what to copy and paste.

to copy almost anything press ctrl+c, to paste press ctrl+v. you can also use the edit menu too if you prefer to mouse it but ctrl+c and ctrl+v will also work in game to copy and paste chat. its a great keyboard shortcut to learn as it works in almost any situation in windows.

ok, first we find the settings file so open up windows explorer or my computer. not internet explorer, curse MS for their conflicting naming convention!

for vista and windows 7 its here:
    C:\ProgramData\iZ3D Driver

for XP and older its here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\iZ3D

you can browse to find it or practice your new leet cop+paste skills by pasting the path into the address bar. main reason thats useful is not for the egg sucking lesson but because "application data" in XP is normally a hidden folder so you can't just click your way through.

the file we want is "Config.xml"

when you find it select it, copy it and paste it. thats a real quick way of making a backup of it. but that wasnt how we change it, sorry, little bit more work to do!

don't double click on it. its not gonna self destruct or any thing but unless your a tinkering geek like me double clicking will just open it in internet explorer and not let you change any thing which isnt of much use to us. it wont hurt though and it might be nice to see it in a more friendly view, so have a play then come back here to carry on.

now you know where it is use wordpad to open it. wordpad is in your start menu under programs then accessories. normally i'd use notepad for this but it will all appear on one line in notepad #mutters#. you could also get a fancy text editor like the free notepad++ i have in my screeny (google will get you that in a jiffy). when you browse to the right folder make sure its set to show all file types (*.*). oh and you can paste the location into the open box for speed. so go find it and open it up.

ok, now select and copy the quoted block of gibberish below:

Code:
    <AnaglyphOutput>
    	<CustomLeftMatrix m00="0" m01="0" m02="0" m10=".3333" m11=".3333" m12=".3333" m20="0" m21="0" m22="0"/>
    	<CustomRightMatrix m00=".6667" m01=".3333" m02="0" m10="0" m11="0" m12="0" m20="0" m21=".3333" m22=".6667"/>
    </AnaglyphOutput>
    clicky for full screen piccy of the bit you need to change

now go back to the config file and scan down to find the matching section. select it then paste the new stuff over the top. make sure the <> tags are all in place, its easy to miss one out when you select something to copy. don't worry about breaking any thing here. you have a back up and even if you don't you can just uninstall then reinstall to get a fresh file. when your don't the text should look just like my screeny, only not as purty unless i managed to tempt you into getting notepad++. regardless of eye candy it should be the same word for word (spacing and tabs don't matter).

when the new block is in place save the file. now give your PC a reboot so the 3D driver can pick up the changes and go back to the select output step in post 2. when your there select the custom option on the right dropdown box the follow the rest of the guide.
    Last edited by ReaperAlexEU; 07-08-2010 at 04:06 PM.

Community Member

faq
    yes its a free driver, they make money from their 3d monitors and licencing their driver for other 3d solutions

no this wont work with polorised glasses (tinted)

yes it does affect performance, you might need to drop a few settings if your computer struggles with DDO normally

i play in windowed but it keeps forcing me to full screen! bloomin annoying that, but you can sort it out by finding DDO in the profiles section of the control panel and flicking it to windowed mode.

yes some colours will be borked. if you have a red lense then red will be filtered out of your other eye making reds look strangly shiney as the 2 eyes give you different information.

if you want to re-install its best to restart your pc before you install again

no i'm not getting paid by them, i'm just a big kid with a new toy and want to share the fun

all text and quickbars and other 2d elements will be at the same depth as the place you set your convergence to, this is why i set my convergence to my characters head, so i can see my hit points and the monsters names when i'm in melee. casters may need to use a different tactic, play somewhere safe and tinker, then let me know so i can add it to the guide!

don't play for too long like this. they say 30 mins at a time. your confusing your eyes and brain, and confusion like that makes them work harder, so give em a break!

3D movies don't look that 3D. oddly enough the 3D movie i watched that had the glasses looked rubbish, but when i plugged this driver in the effect was amazing! no idea why that is, sorry.

help and feedback
    please, if you have any problems let me know.

constructive criticism is also welcome, i want this guide to help lots of people try 3D out and getting other peoples feedback will help me tweak this guide for all.
    Last edited by ReaperAlexEU; 07-09-2010 at 06:09 AM.

OMG! I am instantly trying this when I get on my main comp!!
    Check out my: My Index of Builds / My Capped Characters on Khyber: Krythan II / Velkro Sorcerer / Krythen 13/6/1 Rogue
    Need Some XP? / AFK for a bit: School. / See WF Body Feat Appearances

Reaper, I applaud your effort. This is a really great thing for those that are interested in going through the steps needed. That said, do you really need three different threads about it? If you are that determined to have it available to the masses, send a PM to Tolero or Tarrant and see about getting it "stickied" in the User-Written Guides" section of the forums. I'll even second it for you if need be.

Excellent guide! +1
    °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸A R C H A N G E L S °º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸,ø¤°º¤ø,¸ ¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸
    Thelanis

Alandael ~ Allendale ~ iForged ~ Roba ~ Sylon ~ Pokah ~ Keyanu ~ Wreckoning
    Quote Originally Posted by Severlin View Post
    We don't envision starting players with Starter Gear and zero knowledge playing on Hard or Elite.
    Sev~

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormanne View Post
    Reaper, I applaud your effort. This is a really great thing for those that are interested in going through the steps needed. That said, do you really need three different threads about it? If you are that determined to have it available to the masses, send a PM to Tolero or Tarrant and see about getting it "stickied" in the User-Written Guides" section of the forums. I'll even second it for you if need be.
    well 1 thread was an old attempt quite a while ago, decided to re-do it properly with pics and stuff. want to let the one in general sink again after pointing it at this one.

i thought i should put one in the free section because i thought it might attract some good attention there.

i wont bump either of those threads though, i'll let them both sink. its in my sig so i hope it will get a trickle of traffic from there.

right now though i need some feedback. if its all positive then yeah, might be tempted to ask for a sticky. for now i'm assuming it will need some tweakage before its ready for that.

sorry if you think i've over done the marketing, i thought it was just enough to get the attention of the two halves of our community.

here's to hoping i can get enough feedback to tweak it and polish it off, then i might have to take you up on that offer of a seconding

Real cool!
    DDOcast - A weekly podcast about DDO!
    Characters: Sarlona: Mockduck (Cleric): Beefheart (Fighter): Mockduk (Ranger/Rogue): Monkduck (Monk): Veiovis (Fvs/Rog) Guild: Mockduck (Rogue) Cannith: Mockduck (Fvs/Rogue) Twitter Facebook

Great work!! I think i may have an old set of glasses from TROMA in 3d

Makes me want to eat fungus. heh-heh
    sarlona-currently playing:klornak cleric, mummrah sorc,megalon barb,onearm bandit monk, shuli fvs/mnk/ftr, todem rgr

Officer of Halfling Commandos

omg I just literally /hugged my character! my life is complete
    ~Juggles~

Quote Originally Posted by Calebro View Post
    DoOOooOOooOOooOm?
    THELANIS - Chief Scientist of DARPA
    Ravinex: Bard 18/Fighter 2 - Krotus: 20 Fighter - Hemium: Ranger 18/Fighter 2 - Stema: Favoured Soul 11 - Hemios: Ranger 15/Fighter 1/Monk 1

Quote Originally Posted by hydra_ex View Post
    DoOOooOOooOOooOm?

Yes. I can see your point, Watching 3D can be very bad for you, i"D say time your limit to the game of DDO if you plan on doing this 3D thing, otherwise your going to screw up your mind, and will not be able to play DDO again.

A definite +1 to you for all the work you put into this.

Have you considered putting this in PDF format and offering it as a download?

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by scottmike0 View Post
    Yes. I can see your point, Watching 3D can be very bad for you, i"D say time your limit to the game of DDO if you plan on doing this 3D thing, otherwise your going to screw up your mind, and will not be able to play DDO again.
    DDO does screw with your mind. Ever see your stats jump up and down for no reason? there's a paladin nearby, but unless you knew that...

I've also stood in one place and seen my spell DCs jump wildly around.

Also how many times have you had your firewall not turn up where it's supposed to be? or climbed a ladder only to be shunted back down it halfway? guaranteed fun if you have ooze/cubes/lava/a big drop under the ladder

How screwed up do you have to be to have an elite invitational for a computer game?

Under the circumstances, I think there's not a lot left to screw up your eyesight though is another matter but then again it always seems that way, everything good is bad for you.

I was just having a nice long argument with someone who practically insists that you shouldn't consume too much sugar because it will give you diabetes

Of course you shouldn't do this in 3D for too long, but then again you shouldn't do most things for too long. Even plain pure water will kill you if you drink too much of it.

So yea, everything in moderation.
    Last edited by Tom318; 04-17-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Community Member LoveNeverFails's Avatar

this. is. AWESOME.

I have to find some 3d glasses now...

Proud member of Sarlona's The Unrepentant. Gaming without pants since June 5, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by LoveNeverFails View Post
    this. is. AWESOME.

I have to find some 3d glasses now...

Or make yur own...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gArEMS-Stes

/VERY belated props to OP.

(edit: added "VERY"... I saw the 4/11 post dates, but missed the OP being a 2010 thread. >_< ...been a long weekend.)
    Last edited by cdbd3rd; 05-15-2011 at 08:19 AM.
    CEO - Cupcake's Muskateers, Thelanis
    DDO Freebies ____ Monster Manual

Community Member

hehe, glad people are still finding this, i did have a ton of fun messing about with 3D

as for getting some glasses, if you have any friends/relatives that like to buy DVDs/Blurays then chances are you can scrounge a pair from them. 3D's going through another revival and quite a few film studio's are shipping their films with some paper glasses.

if that fails either look into making your own as linked above, or check out amazon, they have quite a selection.

once you have 3D up and running, you have to go to the vale and hike up the mountain to that explorer by rainbow, then see what jumping off feels like

also if you play FPS games, try L4D2, 3D zombie blood is very fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast