This build came about during update 4, so 9.4 = Mod 9/ update 4. But it doesn't really change for update 5, I don't think.
Ever notice that turtle tanking is really, really effective in about 2% of the game? So I was interested in making a true lockdown turtle tank, but in so doing I needed to be an optimal build the other 98% of the time. This was what I came up with.
When I saw it, it reminded me a lot of the original Batman Evasion Tanks, from back around when the cap was 10 or 12.
Target audience: Mainly power-gamers, because of resource needs to achieve top-end AC, including farming and Tomes. But any build with good AC, DPS, and UMD can work in hands of just about anyone, if willing to focus on AC equipment.
- Lockdown turtle tanking -- i.e. able to Intimidate all enemies with sufficiently ridiculous equipment and buffs.
- Lockdown hate tanking (if those modifiers actually work now!)
- Very solid TWF and Sneak Attack DPS when tanking is not needed
- self-sufficiency for passable soloing
- Trap skills
- Versatility through very high UMD, and modes for DPS, hate-tanking, and turtle-tanking
- Saves are only just barely good enough, despite putting some real build capital toward that.
- Soloing is a little weak until UMD gets good.
Questions I anticipate
- Why no Monk splash? I really struggled with that, but Defender II is clearly required, and Rogue 8 is extremely significant with Improved Uncanny Dodge. So I have to give something up to fit the Monk splash. AND I can't afford any points in WIS. Critically, IUD works while shield-blocking, but Monk AC does not. The bottom line is the Monk splash is only a hair better AC in TWF mode, and quite a lot worse in turtle mode. Finally, being True Neutral has some minor benefits.
- Why so much CHA? It turns out I need that to hit Intim goals, but then the synergy is quite good anyhow: UMD is awesome on this build and FoP allows me to comfortably tank WIS and still get an acceptable Will Save.
- Don't shields suck? Yep. Farm up a Lorrick's, and stick it on a bar somewhere and only bust it out when turtle tanking a boss. Dual-Khopesh all the rest of the time.
Human Stalwart Defender 12/Rogue 8
Alignment: True Neutral. You can UMD every piece of equipment in end-game, so might as well get the benefits of Superior Stability and immunity to most alignment damage.
STR 15  + 1 Human enh + 6 item + 5 bumps + 2 Fighter + 3 Stance + 3 exc + 3 Tome = 38 (double rage and double-potion to 46)
DEX 15  + 6 item + 2 Rogue enh + 3 Tome + 2 exc = 28 (+ 4 acrobat + 4 double-potion = 34)
CHA 15  + 1 Human enh + 6 item + 3 exc + 3 Tome = 28 (double-potion to 32)
WIS 8 
INT 11  + 2 Tome = 13
CON 13  + 3 stance + 6 item + 3 exc + 3 Tome = 28 (double-potion to 32)
34-point is surprisingly minor (pick one of the big three to take to 16), but 36-point probably increases CON to 15 (and then I guess INT to 12? Might pick up some good Haggle by end-game that way?)
Master Feat List: CE, Toughness, PA, Focusx2, Specx2, TWF, iTWF, gTWF, Khopesh, oTWF, SF: Intim, Deneith Dragonmark, FoP
(no room for iCrit -- will have to rely on Min IIs someday; but take it "along the way" and respec later)
Leveling and feat sequence
1: Rogue 1. TWF. HBF: Toughness
2: Fighter 1. FBF: Khopesh
3: Fighter 2. FoP. FBF: Focus: Slashing.
4: Rogue 2.
5: Fighter 3
6: Rogue 3. oTWF
7: Fighter 4. FBF: Spec: Slashing
8: Fighter 5.
9: Rogue 4. iTWF (must eat +2 DEX Tome before here)
10: Fighter 6. FBF: PA (iCrit until have Min IIs)
11: Rogue 5.
12. Fighter 7. CE (must eat +2 INT Tome before here)
13: Fighter 8. FBF: gTWF
14: Rogue 6.
15: Fighter 7. SF: Intim (PA until have Min IIs)
16: Fighter 8. FBF: gFocus: Slashing
17: Rogue 7
18: Fighter 11. Least Dragonmark of Sentinel
19: Fighter 12. FBF: gSpec: Slashing
20: Rogue 8.
That works out pretty well -- not much is delayed in an annoying way.
Standard tanking mode (includes Stance)
50 Toughness Enh
45 Shroud Item
When extreme HP are needed:
+20 Yugo CON potion
+20 House D potion
Enhancements (in no particular order)
10 Fighter Intim IV
1 Human Intim I
6 Rogue Haste Boost III (IV is unaffordable anyhow, and Rogue HB II is a prereq for Acrobat, so I think I hafta take this on the Rogue side, not the Fighter side -- a blessing in disguise)
6 Fighter STR II
6 Human STR/CHA I/II
6 Rogue DEX II
1 Fighter Item Defense I (Stalwart prereq)
3 Fighter AC Boost II (Stalwart prereq)
6 Fighter Toughness III (II is a Stalwart prereq also)
6 Stalwart Defender II
1 Fighter Weapon Mastery: Slashing
3 Human Toughness II
3 Rogue Balance II (Acrobat prereq)
3 Rogue Tumble II (Acrobat prereq)
1 Rogue Faster Sneaking I (Acrobat prereq)
4 Rogue Acrobat
3 Human Versatility II
6 Rogue Sneak Attack Damage III
1 Rogue Skill Boost (this is very minor, but does effectively give me 10 skill boost per rest, making it effectively always on for traps and UMD, and I seem to have an odd point anyhow)
2 Human Recovery I
2 Fighter Extra Action Boost I
The following assumes a +1 INT Tome before 4, and a +3 INT Tome before 20.
1: 4 Intimidate, 4 Spot, 4 Search, 4 Disable, 4 UMD, 4 OL, 4 Jump, 4 Balance, 1 Tumble, 3 Haggle
On Fighter levels: Top off Intimidate and UMD; Extra ranks if any to Jump
On Rogue levels except 20: Top off UMD, Spot, Search, Disable. Extra ranks into Intimidate then Balance (or Haggle or OL if desired)
20: Top off Intimidate, Spot, Search, Disable, UMD
Final ranks (more if you eat the +3 Tome earlier):
FULL: Intimidate, Spot, Search, Disable, UMD
6 Shroud item
9 CHA (11 with double potion; theoretically 13 with +7 item and +4 Tome and store potion)
2 Lesser Mark
4 Fighter enh
1 Human enh
2 Bard song
75 (77 with double potion; 79 with ridiculous equipment)
6 Shroud item
2 Bard song
3 Skill Boost
54 -- Can UMD everything I believe (almost everything even when solo)
4 Icy Raiment (though wear light armor until near to end-game)
6 Superior Stability
4 Shield off Wand
Medium-term or rarer buffs
3 Defender stance
+2 Acrobat DEX
+2 potion DEX (note no DEX limit even when turtling -- use Heavy NOT Tower shield)
4 Insight weapon
4 Bard Song
87 raid-buffed in TWF-but-care-about-AC mode (pretty darn impressive without a Monk splash, if I do say so myself)
+3 Lorrik's vs. Shield wand
2 shield block
2 Defender bonus
95 Max Protect (though 8 of that could wear off during a lengthy boss fight)
4 Defender base (10 short term with Stoneskin)
4 Defender bonus (I think it's 2 per tier if I am inferring correctly from some posts)
15 Lorrik's blocking
11 (BAB 18 / 2 + 2) from levels
34 (40 short term with Stoneskin)
Fighter 12: 8/4/4
Rogue 8: 2/6/2
Superior Stability: 6/6/6
Attributes (without potions but including stances): 9/11/9
* 38 against traps
Max Protect saves (add double potions on each attribute): 36/38/32
Save are not amazing by modern DDO standards, but seem adequate to the task.