Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trap Making

Default Trap Making

So I'm running some Giant Hold quests with my rogue and disabling, when all of sudden a message flashes up, "You collect X pieces..."

Oh yea!! That's right! This was one of those update thingies--trap making. Cool. I picked up what I thought was about 25 pieces and completed the quest. During my sell/repair I notice I have 117 pieces. Bonus!! Heck there's even a notation to go see someone and get a recipe guide. Awesome.

This is where the enthusiasm dies.

The guide, really isn't much of a guide, except to say it pretty much tells you how sucky the traps are in the first place. The term: "very weak" is used often. My attention started to wander towards my router lights when 'very weak' was used.

20 mechanical pieces, 20 vials gives you...I think a weak grenade. Hunt down kobolds for more pieces. Or buddy up to a mage and/or sleep with the auctioneer and you get "better" traps. You can even make "noise makers" to distract guards so that they'll move away and you can pull a lever.

...or you could just kill the guards and not have to sleep with the auctioneer. I'm not even above sleeping with an auctioneer to get my party by--even if its the kobold one from Reavers--it's the cuddling afterwards that weirds me out...

Add Siberys Dragon Shards...

...what oh what would this game be without Siberys shards?!? As far as I know, you use them to eventually swap a feat--if you want--from Fred. That's it--to my knowledge. Other than that, they're a waste of inventory space. Still I keep crunching and crunching!! Crunch 1000 get a crappy Shard. Crunch 100 crappy Shards to get a Junky shard. Crunch 10 junky shards and you get a flawed...

Now I'm like a moth just staring at my router lights waiting for oblivion...

So I'm not "disappointed" with the whole trap making thing--I just don't care! I don't want to be bothered with a scavenger hunt--yet another list of ingredients to store, track, crunch, and trade for--to make a junky grenade or a kazoo.

I'm not sure what the DEVs where thinking. I can barely keep a party back long enough to search for / disarm a trap, much less build a noise making distraction to lure guards "away from levers." Come to think of it...where are there guards guarding levers?!?

I was a bit miffed at first, but I've made it this far without traps. With my interpretation of trap making, I won't be scouring Korthos and beyond for parts either.

I am curious as to what other people are experiencing with traps. Has anyone found a decent recipe?

Quote Originally Posted by BrinLondo View Post
    So I'm running some Giant Hold quests with my rogue and disabling, when all of sudden a message flashes up, "You collect X pieces..."

Oh yea!! That's right! This was one of those update thingies--trap making. Cool. I picked up what I thought was about 25 pieces and completed the quest. During my sell/repair I notice I have 117 pieces. Bonus!! Heck there's even a notation to go see someone and get a recipe guide. Awesome.

The guide, really isn't much of a guide, except to say it pretty much tells you how sucky the traps are in the first place. The term: "very weak" is used often. My attention started to wander towards my router lights when 'very weak' was used.

20 mechanical pieces, 20 vials gives you...I think a weak grenade. Hunt down kobolds for more pieces. Or buddy up to a mage and/or sleep with the auctioneer and you get "better" traps. You can even make "noise makers" to distract guards so that they'll move away and you can pull a lever.

...or you could just kill the guards and not have to sleep with the auctioneer. I'm not even above sleeping with an auctioneer to get my party by--even if its the kobold one from Reavers--it's the cuddling afterwards that weirds me out...

...what oh what would this game be without Siberys shards?!? As far as I know, you use them to eventually swap a feat--if you want--from Fred. That's it--to my knowledge. Other than that, they're a waste of inventory space. Still I keep crunching and crunching!! Crunch 1000 get a crappy Shard. Crunch 100 crappy Shards to get a Junky shard. Crunch 10 junky shards and you get a flawed...

So I'm not "disappointed" with the whole trap making thing--I just don't care! I don't want to be bothered with a scavenger hunt--yet another list of ingredients to store, track, crunch, and trade for--to make a junky grenade or a kazoo.

I'm not sure what the DEVs where thinking. I can barely keep a party back long enough to search for / disarm a trap, much less build a noise making distraction to lure guards "away from levers." Come to think of it...where are there guards guarding levers?!?

I was a bit miffed at first, but I've made it this far without traps. With my interpretation of trap making, I won't be scouring Korthos and beyond for parts either.

I am curious as to what other people are experiencing with traps. Has anyone found a decent recipe?
    Actually I would go as far as saying trapmaking is a complete disappointment. Not only you have to make more room next to your spot/search/disable/open lock/+6stat/Tools/+UMD/Potions/Scrolls/Wands ITEMS, you also have to get soul gems?! of different magnitude too?! Hec by the time I make just ONE really powerful trap, I would hold on to it not wanting to waste it so basically taking up another inventory slot! LOL

Community Member

My main is a rogue and I have not even bothered trying to make a trap. From what I read on the test server forums, the traps are beyond useless - negligible damage for a lot of effort. Setting up some limited AOE 50d6 damage for a minute or so or and spending another minute luring mobs in it (while the rest of the party sits there and does nothing ) or getting that arcane to blast everything with a fireball/firewall in a second? Which one would you pick?
    I have no comments on the grenades, but again, I really don't see a point in them with the current game setup.

I am not even going to start commenting on the soul stone concept.

I also find it really annoying that the parts take a spot in my ingredients bag and I really wish there was a way to not get them from traps. I have to carry 3 green bags now

I guess they would be nice for the roleplayers out there though. I still can not see any real practical use for them.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by trespasser View Post
    From what I read on the test server forums, the traps are beyond useless - negligible damage for a lot of effort.
    I have no comments on the grenades, but again, I really don't see a point in them with the current game setup.
    Yes, the damage output is too low to match the time/inventory investment. I deployed Fire, Force, and Sonic second level mines(best we can make without soul gems) vs Undead in Delera's yesterday, and was very pleased with visual effects, blast radius, timing to activation, sound effects on arming - but seriously? They couldn't take out Undead in Delera's?

And to get the parts, I had to rerun Church & Cult several times.

Quote Originally Posted by trespasser View Post
    I also find it really annoying that the parts take a spot in my ingredients bag and I really wish there was a way to not get them from traps. I have to carry 3 green bags now
    To make the items, you need 2 spaces per trap part & Syberis shards and one for completed item. So if you wanted to make say Fire and Cold sets, you need 10 empty inventory spaces, in addition to the ingredients bags.

Rogues need to get really big Santa sized backpacks...

Default love the trap making

first crafting i have actually enjoyed.now how about more for other stuff.i'd really like a Manual of Golems i have blood and bones and all kinds of other stuff in my huge sack.

Why did the Epic traps I disarmed give me parts to make weak traps? They didn't seem that weak when I wandered through them!
    Southern Tenant Farmers Union - Ghallanda
    Noret/Hultor/Deol/Domtro/Tamtro/Kintro/Lantwo/Sontro/Montro/Kantro

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gleep_Wurp View Post
    first crafting i have actually enjoyed.now how about more for other stuff.i'd really like a Manual of Golems i have blood and bones and all kinds of other stuff in my huge sack.
    I admin the concept is pretty nice, its the result I do not like. If the mechanics are adjusted and we actually get something worth it for the effort we have to put in, it would be awesome. Quite a few ideas were given, I like the charges one most - traps going more than once. Then we can actually bother to kite some tough bosses through them (i.e vampire in the church and the cult or dear old wizard king).
    Players have been using traps for a while now (wiz king, elite gwylan), just not traps made by them but the ones already put in the quest by the GMs.

The only part of the system I don't like is the requirement for Trap the Soul gems. I have a 20th level sorc and swapped out a spell to pick it up but it's still a pain. The spell components are also a pain but at least you can buy them.

I have enough cold trap parts to make some deadly traps but I can't get the right soul gem. Do high level water elementals even exist?

The traps aren't bad. I used a strong one in Cabal on elite (while farming trap components!) and it was taking the mobs down to about 1/4 health. I haven't used any deadly ones yet; I'm saving those for a special occasion.

The noisemaker traps are probably my biggest disappiontment. When I first heard of them, I thought they'd be great for soloing places like Monastery where you have to pull a lot of levers. But the range is so short that I haven't been able to get them to work yet.

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

Community Member

I'm not sure what the DEVs where thinking. I can barely keep a party back long enough to search for / disarm a trap
    The primary benefit to disarming traps is the +15% XP bonus, which applies regardless of whether other group members have gone past it yet. (Of course I'm not saying that's a good thing)

much less build a noise making distraction to lure guards "away from levers." Come to think of it...where are there guards guarding levers?!?
    Yes, that certainly is an uncommon event, and something that won't happen if you're in a normal party. But here's a long thread showing where it can occur:
    http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=236200

I do not anticipate there will be one. The DDO game is not someplace where trap-building would fit properly into combat. What the devs should do is accept that traps are going to be pretty weak, and instead reduce the cost of using them, such as by not having them load up your inventory slots like this.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kintro View Post
    Why did the Epic traps I disarmed give me parts to make weak traps?
    There is no such thing as a weak or strong trap part.

Community Member

Before I waste any components on them, aren't there any CC traps worth while?

We humans like gimmicks. Devs can get away with a complete waste of code.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by stem589 View Post
    Before I waste any components on them, aren't there any CC traps worth while?
    You can build CC traps, but I can't imagine a situation where they'd be useful.

Given time I could probably come up with some contrived possibility where they would help, but the CC traps seem very very weak. I haven't tested them a lot on live yet... my rogue's ingredients bag is nearly full anyhow, and it would be a burden to make space for a bunch of trap parts.

Community Member

so i got a 20th lvl rogue thought i'd find out whats up with these trap thingys.went to the guy in the harbor bought and read the books, learned i cant make a good trap by myself and immediately threw the books away and went to the AH and sold my trap parts.couldnt be a bigger waste than this.another gimmick gone terribly wrong! i have no idea what they thought we'd get out of this. traps that thieves cant make on their own is not something the rogue community wanted but maybe, just maybe traps will be in the ddo store and you can buy em.
    i dont have a clue what they were thinking,was this supposed to make up for the twf nerf? were they on some mind altering drug? did anyone see an explaination of why rogues need wizards to make traps?

Do have to say after a few weeks of consideration... these really do feel like a TR toy, more than anything else. Certainly not intended for anyone without a friendly arcane and/or plenty of cash in the bank that's also going to be spending a whole lot of time at low levels where they are effective, and not as an actual rogue alternative method of play... not even soloing, unless you're willing to grind out yet one more greensteel item just to be self-sufficient about it. Ah well, at least they didn't decide to nerf repair construct in the process, so mecha-troll-mode is still viable for soloing when bored till about level 12-ish.
    Last edited by Scraap; 07-06-2010 at 10:00 AM.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scraap View Post
    Do have to say after a few weeks of consideration... these really do feel like a TR toy, more than anything else.
    TR players are unlikely to waste time messing around with something as slow as planting traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus_dead View Post
    TR players are unlikely to waste time messing around with something as slow as planting traps.
    True enough. Rather why I referred to it as a toy, not a tool. Something to mess with for kicks, but never when it counts.

Default ...it was a good try

Have to commend them (DEVs) for the effort. I personally would be happy with just buying items from a vendor to use in dungeons. A bear trap here ( a la hold spell) could come in useful. A trip wire (a la trip or command) would come in handy. A simple doable idea went horribly wrong in a bad grinding fashion.

Community Member OmegaDestroyer's Avatar

I have a trapmonkey in the making and I was hoping traps would be useful. After reading this thread and the trapwiki, I think I'm going to just start over. I don't want to even think about what a pain it would be to get soul gems.
    Last edited by OmegaDestroyer; 07-07-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaDestroyer View Post
    I have a trapmonkey in the making and I was hoping traps would be useful. After reading this thread and the trapwiki, I think I'm going to just start over. I don't want to even think about what a pain it would be to get soul gems.
    Soul gems are easy and you only need one to make a stack of traps. It takes me just a few minutes to get a bunch on my sorc. So far, I've only done fire and acid traps but those soul gems plentiful.

I take my sorc to Amrath and buy 100 dragonshards from the Arcane Vendor.
    I then teleport to the Marketplace and use the altar to convert those 100 shards to 20 of the next level and then convert those 20 to 5 of the highest level ones.
    With my 5 shards, I head to the Vale. The Earth Ellies on the Lammania side are easy targets. In 5 minutes, I've got 5 soul gems for Acid traps.
    For fire gems, I head to Mt. Reyslon (sp?) and hit the Fire Elementals in the two spots where you cross the lava on the way up to the top.

Easy peasy. The dragonshards you need cost about 10k plat, iirc, so that's a bit steep.

Basic, universal rogue build advice
    "Not in the face! Not in the faaaaaace!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast