Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Default The Repeater Bug - Missing Shots

With Rogue Mechanics getting the neat perk of free Repeater Proficiencies, I think it's time to bring this particular bug back to attention.

When firing off many volleys of bolts with a repeater, quite frequently 1 or 2 shots will simply disappear. Repeaters fire 3 shots per volley, so these lost shots are easily noticeable. Note that these are not shots missed because the bolt misses the target box of the monster. They are shots that simply disappear. The firing animation plays, but nothing is registered on the target.

I did a bit of documenting on this effect, though I can't quite pinpoint what's causing this error to appear simply from observation.

Basically, when firing shots on full auto, lost shots consistently happen by the 13th volley. The 12th volley will have 3 shots, the 13th will have 2 shots, and the 14th will have 1 shot. Then it will reset and go back up to 3 shots.

This isn't always the case. Sometimes shots disappear at more random times, and there will be only 2 shots per volley. However, I'm not sure if this is simply some residual effect from the lost shots happening on the 13th volley.

With a prestige enhancement actually putting a focus back on repeater builds, I really hope the devs will take a look at this issue.
    RedShirt / Roleplayer of Giant Slayers, Inc. on Thelanis, formerly Tharashk.
    Member of the DDO Player Council

Coldin-Artificer; Lynton-Bard; Alydyn-Swashbuckler;
    Takai-
    Monk; Rosein-Paladin; Ellyiana-Cleric; Aurixs-Sorcerer

I've noticed it to, it's reminds me of heals that don't land due to lag. I have noticed that if you purposely fire slower the shots never fail, it may be lost shots due to latency but who knows.
    Last edited by zztophat; 06-26-2010 at 01:38 AM.

Scholar Of Adventure & Hero Missing_Minds's Avatar

Quiet honestly, I don't expect them to look at it until they do a review of ranged combat like The Piaz said they would do this year.

Yeah it's pretty annoying. After all you make a repeater build for the range speed and then you lose your shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
    Repeaters fire 3 shots per volley
    Also, why do repeaters have clips of 4 bolts when they (rarely, see OP - lol) fire only 3 before reloading?

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Bradik_Losdar View Post
    Also, why do repeaters have clips of 4 bolts when they (rarely, see OP - lol) fire only 3 before reloading?
    No idea. Repeaters in PnP actually have clips of 5 bolts.

Takai-

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Missing_Minds View Post
    Quiet honestly, I don't expect them to look at it until they do a review of ranged combat like The Piaz said they would do this year.
    Hopefully they're already hard at work on that and we'll see something by Update 6 or 7. It would be nice to see a chime in from Turbine saying something about it.

Takai-

No idea. Repeaters in PnP actually have clips of 5 bolts.
    So did the ones in DDO originally. I'll give you one guess as to why they changed that.

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    So did the ones in DDO originally. I'll give you one guess as to why they changed that.
    Probably the same reason all ranged got nerfed into oblivion back in development. It was overpowered, and everyone was using it.

Takai-

Probably the same reason all ranged got nerfed into oblivion back in development. It was overpowered, and everyone was using it.

On my way out the door for shopping/errands. I will try to revisit this tonight and post my numbers from before. Basically once you reach 200+ shots per minute, you lose shots. There was no volley number either, it was totally random. Maybe you see 13 because that is where your attack speed puts it.

In my case, I would lose shots since the first volley. It is probably related to ping times? Mi ping is never below 150ms due to the actual distance to the server.

Been playing around with a "Repeater Mechanic" a bit, just hit 18 before the servers went down.

This bug is TERRIBLE and it is not even in the Known Issues list.

Some observations while I was leveling:

-Getting higher than your target helps, either through jumping or standing on something
    -I seemed to have an easier time hitting at medium range
    -Small enclosed areas like caves or small rooms seem to make things worse
    -Larger open areas like Wilderness zones and big rooms seem to help
    -While fighting dragons in Tor the bolts never disappear
    -Firing slower indeed helps

I want to repeat that while fighting dragons in Tor just about every bolt landed, either a hit or miss. I'm not sure what to make of all this, I assume it has something to do with the room or perhaps the hit box of the dragon. Though I did hit the giant equally as well.

A nod from Turbine that they are at least planning on caring at some point would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
    Well, Brick Wall, I'm not saying you'd have to stop calling people idiots while you solo.

Community Member

bumping this; I just paid hard-earned cash for a +3 repec stone to respec my rogue to mechanicII repeater build due to the U5 int->repeater damage. I found the bolt loss to be egregiously broken.

The entire drawing-aspect of repeaters is their superior fire rate. Calculate in the fact that bolts mysteriously disapper WITH Improved precision active, and that throws that superior fire rate out the window.

And it appears this bug has been around for YEARS! Seriously Turbine...?

And NOT on the known-bug list! Seriously Turbine...?

Even my 9 year-old noticed...surely the devs have as well

Hatchery Founder
    2014 DDO Players Council

I'm hoping there will be a ranged combat pass someday soon (Update 7 maybe?) and with that a fix to this bug.

It's easily fixed by just firing slower, but obviously that defeats the whole point of using a repeater.

Takai-

Quote Originally Posted by Arkat View Post
    If it was it was in alpha or earlier. I played with a repeater in beta and it was 3 shots.
    Long Live New Xoriat
    "I wish I had a chest so big you could zone into it." - Tolero at Gencon '07
    Thank you Gary - 3/4/08

A few things I've noticed with Repeaters...

General Issue: When the shots fail to land, a quick tumble in any direction seems to clear it up. It's a sloppy fix, but I don't think the Devs will ever get around to fixing it since the missing-shot bug has been around since Day One.

Mechanic-Only Issue: When setting mines, my repeater seems to bug out if I take a shot before the mine "clicks" to activate. Nothing fixes it short of a relog. But, I've tested it a few times, and it seems to be a prime reason for my Mechanic's repeater getting wonky and ceasing to work. I've taken to equipping a melee weapon while setting mines, just in case, and only swap back to a repeater when the mines activates and lights up.
    Last edited by Memnir; 07-20-2010 at 11:01 PM.

doesn't haste cause this happen? as it makes you cross a certain "threshold" where your shots start to disappear.

people who use repeaters shouldn't be hasted. but hopefully, this will be fixed. the problem probably involves with how reliant the servers are on the client. For example, you can SMACK into the ground for 100 damage, rubberband back into the air, and smack it again for 100 more damage(total of 200).

I played a repeater build to cap and did a lot of testing with a 0.0% loss / 30ms ping, but like most people gave up when I couldn't find any way to fix it besides delaying between shots.

Something needs to be done about this, it's ridiculous to encourage people to play repeater builds with U5, then casually pretend there's nothing wrong with them.

Community Member

Mkay...looks like the best I can hope for is experienced advice as to how best deal with the bug. Ideas/Input please

Is it the fire rate of the repeaters that cause the ‘misfires’..? For repeaters, does firing faster (rapid reload, rapid shot, haste, rogue attack speed) seem to extrapolate the issue..? Does actually firing slower cause more bolts to actually land?

Is there a click play-style that best avoids the lost bolts?
    -Button mash the attack?
    -Click off each bolt individually?
    -Click/Hold for the 3 shots; lift for reload; click/hold to fire next 3..?

Also - I have both rapid fire and rapid reload. If it’s the fire rate that seems to be causing ‘misfires’, and since only minimal gain is garnered by having both...well, it just seems I’m spending a feat to increase my fire rate by a tiny amount, and possibly increasing the rate of missed bolts (thereby possibly spending a feat to actually lower my dps). I find this disturbing...

Any advice as to how best deal with this issue would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm having fun with the repeater build, and would really like to know where one-third my bolts are flying off to.........

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast