Community Member

Default green steel heavy repeater could use advice

The only green steel items I have made are jewelry and never an weapon.

I was thinking of building this

Tier 1 Effect Frost
    Tier 2 Effect acid burst
    Tier 2 Bonus Effect Aspect of the Ooze

Tier 3 Effect Frost blast
    Tier 3 Second Shard acid blast
    Tier 3 Bonus Effect Aspect of the ooze II

I thought Aspect of the ooze II would be funny but it would suck on dps.

or

Tier 1 +6 int
    Tier 2 +1 exceptional int
    Tier 2 aspect of ash I

Tier 3 +2 exceptional int
    Tier 3 +2 exceptional int
    Tier 3 aspect of ash II

the + 6 exceptional adds 3 to all damage

or

Tier 1 Effect acid
    Tier 2 Effect shocking burst
    Tier 2 Bonus Effect balance of the land and sky I

Tier 3 Effect Frost blast
    Tier 3 Second Fire blast
    Tier 3 Bonus Balance of the land and sky II

Seems to be the best damage 1d6 acid 1d6 shocking burst ( on crit 20 shock 2d10 4d6 frost blast 4d6 Fire blast) and then balance of the land and sky has acid, cold, electric, and/or fire damage, 10~20% for each to trigger, and 80%+ chance for at least one per hit.

Any other ideas?

Community Member

Lightning Strike, Radiance II, or Earthgrab.

I wouldn't put any sort of ability boosts on your weapon, there's plenty of room for those on your body slots.

This is my preferred planner:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...roud/index.php

You can click on the final enchantment, like Lightning Strike or Radiance, and then work backwards along a valid path to get there.

Community Member

I use http://perfectweb.org/ddo/crafting/base_crafting.php

Earth grab doesn't get Tier 3 Second Shard which isn't a huge loss and radiance doesnt seem to have very good tiers.

Tier 1 Effect holy
    Tier 2 Effect Shocking burst
    Tier 2 Bonus Effect Aspect of lighting

Tier 3 Effect shock blast
    Tier 3 Second Shard good blast
    Tier 3 Bonus Effect Aspect of the lighting strike II

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    Lightning Strike, Radiance II, or Earthgrab.
    Agree with this one 100%

If you want a exceptional INT you should aim for either a ToD ring or a ToD ring + Epic item with at least 1 colorless slot.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by darkvirus View Post

Earth grab doesn't get Tier 3 Second Shard which isn't a huge loss and radiance doesnt seem to have very good tiers.

Tier 1 Effect holy

Earthgrab is for getting that grab on things for auto-crits, and for the occasional Stone Ele. I'd probably rank this last. Grab doesn't work on bosses of course.

Radiance is primarily to get the Blindness for auto Sneak Attack. Sure, you have to be REALLY close to Sneak Attack with your Repeater...but hey, when you start shooting things they're going to come get up in your grill, and when they do, they're already blinded and now they have a 50% chance to hit you and are eating two handfuls of Sneak Attack d6's. Radiance doesn't work on bosses.

I'd recommend Lightning II as the general all around at-range damager. Always works, Holy is good (so with Silver Arrows you'll bypass demon damage reduction), and Electrical damage is the best elemental damage...too many creatures ignore Fire, Cold, and Acid.
    Last edited by rimble; 06-20-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rimble View Post
    Earthgrab is for getting that grab on things for auto-crits, and for the occasional Stone Ele. I'd probably rank this last.

Radiance is primarily to get the Blindness for auto Sneak Attack.

I'd recommend Lightning II as the general all around at-range damager.
    I'd say the order depends on what you plan on spending most of your fighting time on and what you have for GS components.

A Earthgrab bow is much cheaper to make and I find it does far better against trash monsters than the Lightning Strike.

For Epic content I think the Earthgrab bow is your best option, it also performs very well on dungeons with a lot of trash mobs.

Lightning Strike is very nice for bosses, but if you're going to be running Epic Demon Queen it's just about as good as a normal holy weapon. Tripple Positive is a nice option in this case and can be used on things like portals.

Radiance is awesome for sneak attacks when you're running solo or plan on having aggro. I think it's likely the least useful of the three when compared to its cost to make and ranks about even with Tripple Positive depending on how you spend your time.

Tier 1 Effect holy

this was posted in the rog thread so I assume the weapon is for a Rog. Radience blinds mobs on crits and blind makes all subsequent attacks sneak attacks even if yo uhave aggro while giving the mob a 50% miss chance. It is the single best greensteel mod for a rog by a huge margin.
    DDO Rogue FAQ: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=244964
    Find me on Cannith: Level 20's: Scathach (x2) / Boudicca / Caileach / Fhirdhia / Cuchulain / Maedb (x2) / Dagdha

Community Member Talon_Moonshadow's Avatar

On a Rogue, i really thing Radiance II is your only choice.... At least for the first weapon.

And if in doubt go for the most damage you can get from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jandric View Post
    ..., but I honestly think the solution is to group with less whiny people.

Community Member

Tier 1 Effect holy

This is the Rad II selections? Sorry for noob question, never dealt with GS before and only been playing three weeks. Have not been able to find a list for Rad II or Lighting, just want to confirm.
    Last edited by Talass; 12-14-2010 at 04:02 PM.

Also, you might look at a Vacuum weapon. I've seen a lot of ranged players use them very effectively in Epic Content since it can be a one hit one kill.

T1 - Neg
    T2 - Shocking
    T3 - Shocking/Neg

Take Improved Precise Shot.
    Rapid Shot and Rapid Reload and profit.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Quote Originally Posted by Wraithkin View Post
    Also, you might look at a Vacuum weapon. I've seen a lot of ranged players use them very effectively in Epic Content since it can be a one hit one kill.

T1 - Neg
    T2 - Shocking
    T3 - Shocking/Neg

Take Improved Precise Shot.
    Rapid Shot and Rapid Reload and profit.
    I would go this path.
    Ghallanda - now with fewer alts and more ghostbane

Question, can someone tell me that when Vacuum procs, do the soul gems go into your inventory? Or does it lay on the ground like the spell Trap the soul.

Also, same question with Epic Souleater q-staff.

Both cases they end up on the ground. I can't give you a proc rate. Repeaters with Imp Precise Shot/multi shot and Staffs with Glancing blows have the opportunity to proc multiple times with each individual hit, though a TWF hits a single target more times a minute.
    WAR IS PEACE
    FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
    IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

it is my understanding that trap the soul guard does not put items in your inventory, and i know the trap the soul spell doesn't. i can't begin to imagine why the weapon would, but haven't tested to be certain.

@talass: no, that's for lightning strike. someone already posted this one, but here's the shroud planner i like to use as well:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...roud/index.php

you start by choosing what item or weapon you want and how far you want to upgrade it (so for example, you could just get a recipe for a blank by using altar of fecundity, or get the recipe for a pos/pos raise dead clicky if you go altar of subjugation. you could also plan to 3 tiers, and then just only go part of the way, of course)

so, for example, to make a radiance weapon, you would start with choosing repeating heavy crossbow from the drop down weapon menu, and leave it on devastation (the default, for tier 3).

this would bring you to this screen: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...peater&altar=3

next, you could just choose the end result. in this case, we want radiance, so: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...iance_&altar=3

note that many effects were removed, because they will never lead to radiance. now, we want this to be general purpose, and ideally able to break boss DR. since we can buy silver arrows, that means we just want to get it to deal good damage. we could go with holy (2d6 on a normal hit to evil creatures), or we could do good burst (1d6 on a normal hit to non-good targets, +3d6 on a crit). personally, i like good burst, but YMMV. so: http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...__good&altar=3

(at this point, you may also notice that our chosen spell-like is sunburst. it's kinda crappy, since the DC is so low, but we're pretty much stuck with it, and at least it looks cool when you use it).

next, we get to choose our remaining options. to be honest, none of them are all that good. we can add either dexterity or intelligence, neither of which are particularly needed on the weapon (particularly since we want to be able to use other repeaters). we don't need combustion since we don't cast spells, and i'm guessing you're not making an AC build (i'm certainly not going to), so that leaves either flaming/flaming blast or fire absorption. personally, i'm not a huge fan of adding fire damage... too many things immune, and others even absorb it. so i'm gonna go with fire absorption. so it would look like:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...abs_10&altar=3
    and then
    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...abs_20&altar=3

and now we don't need to worry so much about wall of fire or scorching ray.

now all we have to do is go down to the "how do I craft this item?" link below and we get to:

http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~delalle...10,fire_abs_20

and that's our crafting instructions, easy as can be

try it yourself, take a look at all the stuff you can add... it really helps understand why greensteel weapons are among the best in the game

(oh, and on a side note... while the blinding effect from radiance won't work on bosses, the 4d6 light damage *does* work... this isn't by any means the "best" boss beater you're likely to find, but it is reasonably good, especially for your very first weapon as a rogue. later on, you'll probably want triple positive, or lightning, for bosses, and vacuum or earthgrab for epics if you run those. but, as has been said... when it comes to rogues, your first choice should always be radiance, especially for ranged rogues who can break DR using silver arrows and a holy repeater instead of needing mineral)

thanks for the answers, +1.

If you have the mats, Positive all the way for an Undead beater.

IMHO this is the only GS weapon that is useful at Epic, certainly easier to get that the Epic Silver Slinger (and may be better, though I haven't done the math).
    Argonessen: Breyard, Kayuss, Breymer, Vilar, Zhanmadao
    Guild: Fellowship of the Shrine
    Disclaimer: All my posts are in the official DnD language of Common. Common is not a standardised language, so if you think you see a spelling mistake - you are wrong!

Personally, I made a Radiance II, an Ooze II, and a Triple positive for my Rogue mech. (Actually, 18 rogue/2 arti)

The Radiance II is a no brainer. Unlike the Lightning II, you're not waiting for a 1% chance at a lot of damage, you're adding damage to anything susceptible to blinding and sneak attack.

However, the combo of good and fire damage makes it suck against vermin most of the time except for sneak attack.

So, I made the Ooze II. cold + acid generally hits everything resistant to fire and the lack of alignment damage means true neutral and good (i.e. Eladrin) are more susceptible if you need to grind them out. Also, the "main" effect (Ooze Sunder) hits about as often as a critical would for helping to reduce enemy AC. The oozes are kind of fun, mostly because they mess with the enemy AI when you're also using a deception item to dump your own aggro on them.

The Triple Pos wasn't really made (initially) by me for undead. It was mainly for use with the Tira's Splendor rune arm which adds Silver DR breaking to weapons. The combo meant I could run Shroud with Tira's Splendor and throw all three tiers of good damage instead of using a Silver Slinger and/or relying on a full arti for silver or good weapons. Also meant--when an arti was along--I could go Deadly weapons instead and a 1.5[W] weapon.

My next project is to make another set of repeaters for my other shooters although one already has a Triple Pos--for alignment damage and undead, now that I appreciate Greater Disruption as well--and is using Acid (or Acid burst?) of lacerating for vermin clearing at that level until I can make a Rad II.

As far as Lit II, waiting around for lightning strike seems a little like a waste of time most of the time (from using it on loot gen epic bows last life on both arti and rogue mech), but when it hits it's nice.

So, to sum up...

Triple pos for those susceptible to good damage and for undead is a good start. Also "cheaper" in ingredients. Will suck against neutrals and vermin though.

If you have several sneak attack dice, radiance II can be a power bow for a long while.

Ooze II is fun and helps out those who use things like power attack, and for an arti will probably work even better because of putting more aggro grabbers downrange...

Good luck though.

My build: http://ddocrafting.info/myddo/khyber/Skippypater/

(The shield, if Skippy's wearing it, is "walking around gear" because I sort of get tired of talking to vendors with bolts stuck out of them. Also useful for those rare "turtling" situations. Who knew arti came with shield proficiency?)

2+ year thread necro. Well done guys! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfurnace View Post
    2+ year thread necro. Well done guys! lol
    Wow.

And we aim to please.