Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default update 6 - remove hierlings to battle lag

I dont understand ... they remove effectiveness of TWF in update 5 and claim it will "HELP" battle lag ... they remove monk and ranger attack speed for the same reason ....

why was the first step to nerf players rather then nerf obvious contributer "THE HIERLING"

While i too enjoy the use of summons and hierlings they always seem to be the major contributing factor to lag in ALL MMO's.

in COH almost no lag at all until they launched all these classes able to summon hundreds of pets ... (not that they had a ton of lag even with all the pets)

wouldnt it make more sense to add more ways to heal yourself effectively like full heal pots that dont stun you in battle ... and remove hierlings from the game ?

I think many of you are about to neg rep me ... (not that i care) but before you do ... think about it clearly ... with dungeon scaling and casual difficulty do you really need a hierling to solo?

is it really that hard to find a party for most missions (raids take forever still but hierlings cant go into raids) After about lvl 10 most people dont solo anyway ... very few and the ones that do generally dont NEED hierlings but take one anyway just in case ...

soloing used to be an achievement in DDO and now its the way we work ....

not that i mind if people solo .. .shoot i solo first three chests in gen point on hard with my dark monk as a way to reset the slayer area as a loot run .. but i dont take a hierling ...

not that i think everyone can do everything on every type of build nore should they .... but really it makes more sense to nerf something that makes sense ...

it makes sense that hierlings add to lag .. .more soloing means more instances .. .more hierlings mean more computer controled AI to deal with per instance ... plus teleporting hierling to you prolly adds to it too .. since DDO's worst lag started when they introduced teleporting mobs.

again its not that i dont like hierlings but it seems as though if we truly want to battle lag .. this is the first place it needs to happen ... not player side dps.
    SITH HAPPENS
    [])])])])])])[]]██████████████████████████
    Quote Originally Posted by magnus1 View Post
    drfirewater... thanks for being the voice of reason!

/signed

There is lots of evidence that hirelings add to the resource use of a single player. If DA was acceptable because of a single players resource use being larger then average and TWF nerf by the same logic then there is no reason why hirelings should be exempt.
    Proud Recipient of At least 8 Negative Rep From NA Threads.
    Main: Sharess
    Alts: Avaril/Cyr/Cyrillia/Garagos/Inim/Lamasa/Ravella

I love hirelings. In many cases they are better than players. My wife and I run most dungeons with 2 of them so I hate the idea. We do not really have lag anywhere. I hear some raids are the only places they have lag why not just remove the raids instead of the hirelings? Seems like the same kind of suggestion. I am not being serious in case there is any doubt. Why do I like hirelings? My time is valuable, with their use I never wait I just play. If there is a LFM up for what I want to join we go, if not we use hirelings. We use them a high percentage of the time.

Hirelings are quiet, they do not afk, they have no problems playing my personal heal bot. They don’t complain about anything. They live in a paper folder, I do not have to feed them. They work very cheap, they are a mana batteries. Hirelings stay please tyvm.

Quote Originally Posted by Drfirewater79 View Post
    in COH almost no lag at all until they launched all these classes able to summon hundreds of pets ... (not that they had a ton of lag even with all the pets)
    You mean like the Fire Controllers at game launch who could summon around 12-15 imps, as opposed to the maximum long-duration* summons of ~8-10 now for Masterminds? Just sayin'.

*: Exempting Gang War, of course since that's short duration and long cooldown.

While we're at it why don't we just suggest they remove all the mobs. It is sure to fix the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Magusrex777 View Post
    I love hirelings. In many cases they are better than players. My wife and I run most dungeons with 2 of them so I hate the idea. We do not really have lag anywhere. I hear some raids are the only places they have lag why not just remove the raids instead of the hirelings? Seems like the same kind of suggestion. .
    Its not quite the same ball park really .... you see the lag in raids is caused by over use of resources ....

as someone who pugs ALOT i understand what you are saying about hierlings at times being better then real players ... but that is the problem ...

hierlings make players lazy and at end game .... those same players who do nothing but eat up resources with hierlings cannot play in groups....

Hierlings dont help you learn group dynamics or strat that is required for end game success ... or raid success for that matter ...

raids fill a needed resource sync ... raids actually reduce lag cause its 12 people in one instance where soloing and short manning causes more lag 12 people in 12 instances filled with monsters.

origionally this game had the slogan friends dont let friends solo ... while it didnt work marketing wise (hence the addition of casual and solo difficulties over the years) it does make sense when figuring out lag ...

not to say we didnt have lag before hierlings that would be a lie ...

but never had lag like we do today ....

while small instances and solo'd misisons rarely if ever actually lag out themselves they cause higher lag draw on big parties and not just raids ...

Again i like hierlings myself ... but they need to go if they are ruining game play enjoyment for large groups and only helping small ones.

if it has come to nerfing players to battle problems that hierlings cause then its an obvious NEED to eliminate hierlings cause there will be a smaller group of people effected by the change....

if you and your wife two man missions ... you dont really need hierlings ... and if you did it without hierlings you would be learning skills that would help you in end game ,,, not to say you specifically need or dont already have those skills but to say there are hundreds of people at lvl 20 who dont know where to buy heal scrolls and dont know what areas have cure serious pots .....

if there was no hierling option these people wouldnt be such a burden on everyone else and there would be less noob hate ... cause they would learn the game better and faster .. .much like us vets had to ....

Quote Originally Posted by Rhysem View Post
    While we're at it why don't we just suggest they remove all the mobs. It is sure to fix the problem.
    I did that as a joke already and got 4 neg rep for it lol .....
    SITH HAPPENS

/signed

If Dungeon Alerts "fixed" lag (because it removes AI from RAM), then removing Hirelings "fixes" lag, as it also removes AI from RAM.

/signed

They could always just add "angels on your shoulder" instead of hirelings. Instead of all the extra AI involved with an actual hireling, you just get their menu bar on your screen. All the benefits without the lag, or the feeling that you're walking your dog thru a quest
    Ghallanda: Neatoelf15wiz/1rgr, Neetoelf17wiz, NeatoManhuman13rog/6pal/1mnk, NeatoHombrehuman12ftr/6pal/2rog, Kneetoedwarf17clr, Kneedoughdrow18clr/2mnk

Minimize expectations and you'll never be disappointed

All this time and no one realized our Shroud lag wasnt caused by DPS, but by hirelings. Darnit.

Its not quite the same ball park really .... you see the lag in raids is caused by over use of resources ....

as someone who pugs ALOT i understand what you are saying about hierlings at times being better then real players ... but that is the problem ...

hierlings make players lazy and at end game .... those same players who do nothing but eat up resources with hierlings cannot play in groups....

Hierlings dont help you learn group dynamics or strat that is required for end game success ... or raid success for that matter ...

raids fill a needed resource sync ... raids actually reduce lag cause its 12 people in one instance where soloing and short manning causes more lag 12 people in 12 instances filled with monsters.

origionally this game had the slogan friends dont let friends solo ... while it didnt work marketing wise (hence the addition of casual and solo difficulties over the years) it does make sense when figuring out lag ...

not to say we didnt have lag before hierlings that would be a lie ...

but never had lag like we do today ....

while small instances and solo'd misisons rarely if ever actually lag out themselves they cause higher lag draw on big parties and not just raids ...

Again i like hierlings myself ... but they need to go if they are ruining game play enjoyment for large groups and only helping small ones.

if it has come to nerfing players to battle problems that hierlings cause then its an obvious NEED to eliminate hierlings cause there will be a smaller group of people effected by the change....

if you and your wife two man missions ... you dont really need hierlings ... and if you did it without hierlings you would be learning skills that would help you in end game ,,, not to say you specifically need or dont already have those skills but to say there are hundreds of people at lvl 20 who dont know where to buy heal scrolls and dont know what areas have cure serious pots .....

if there was no hierling option these people wouldnt be such a burden on everyone else and there would be less noob hate ... cause they would learn the game better and faster .. .much like us vets had to ....

I did that as a joke already and got 4 neg rep for it lol .....
    I am not a burden on anyone. I use hirelings and I am sure I can play as well as anyone. There are no real skills necessary in this game, it is simple like very other MMO out there, press buttons at the right time and collect loot. Neither one of us wanted to play a healing class like one of us has in every MMO we have ever played. I enjoy the hirelings, you have to manage them so it is not set and forget. I have not negged you and will not. However, I have received much neg rep over the coarse of my posting, only one person ever admitted it to and that was WHEN I could not neg rep back. I have never whined about getting neg rep. They sell hirelings in the store so I am not too worried about your suggestion, although if I had to guess, you know it wont happen either.

What causes more lag?

A. 6 people in 6 separate copies of the same quest, each with 1 or more hirelings
    B. 6 people in a group, in 1 instance of the quest, with no hirelings.

The answer is definitely B.

Therefore, Hirelings cause lag.

Community Member
    3rd star from the left, and on til morning...

I think hirelings are an integral part of this game.

Because (for life reasons) I mostly solo, I cannot survive without hirelings. I'd like to see the ability to use TWO in-game (not gold seal) hirelings at the same time, it would save me a ton of TP and a ton of hassle. I would love to see even more hirelings.

The removal of hirelings would more than likely mean I could no longer effectively enjoy DDO.

I fail to see why one person with two hirelings would create any more "lag" or overhead than 3 real people.

Personally, I think the issue is one of data flow to the client, why is so much data coming, whats in it, and does the cap need to be raised (discussed in another thread here.)

.....remove hirelings...really...cant believe someone suggested it..it must be a sarcastic joke and I fell for it...my bad

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    I fail to see why one person with two hirelings would create any more "lag" or overhead than 3 real people.
    You are replacing real people with hirelings in that analysis. To be fair it should be 3 people each with hirelings vs 3 people without hirelings.
    Ghallanda: Neatoelf15wiz/1rgr, Neetoelf17wiz, NeatoManhuman13rog/6pal/1mnk, NeatoHombrehuman12ftr/6pal/2rog, Kneetoedwarf17clr, Kneedoughdrow18clr/2mnk

Minimize expectations and you'll never be disappointed

We use them a high percentage of the time.

Hirelings are quiet, they do not afk, they have no problems playing my personal heal bot. They don’t complain about anything. They live in a paper folder, I do not have to feed them. They work very cheap, they are a mana batteries. Hirelings stay please tyvm.
    Mag you are the reason for lag Egats, one hireling per person and shortmanning the quest. That's a lot extra resources per person for the server to handle. At least you are not soloing with a hireling, because that is the worst case scenario

Ramping up to 1200 players online:

Everyone solos: 1200 quests active, each with monster AI plus player actions, plus 1 (or more) hireling AI

vs.

Everyone groups: 200 quests active (or 100 raids, or a combo of the two), each with monster AI plus player actions, no hireling AI.

1200 quests vs 200 is dramatic to server resources and server-side lag.

More soloing = more lag.

Period.

Quote Originally Posted by My2Cents View Post
    Oh the issue is not 1 player + 2 hirelings uses more resources...it is that 3 people instead use much less per person. As the server capacity should be based upon real live people actually playing the game and not extra mobs made so that those people can use up more resources per person there is an argument to be made that hirelings are bad for the game in the same manner that 'zergers' used more resources and had to be nerfed and twf'ers used more resources and had to be nerfed.

It's only logical if you follow the line of reasoning that it be applied fairly to all styles of play. In fact, the ultimate lag fix would be for dungeon scaling to work in reverse where mobs actually got slighly easier when more people were in your party as this would minimize the server resource use per person.

I am not so certain I buy into your reasoning that hirelings cause more lag. As a general rule I experience zero lag. Very infrequently have I ever experienced any and I cannot exempt my connection. I have been told by people who raid certain raids very often that they have extreme lag when they have a very high DPS party. So, when very highly geared people, a small percentage of the population(very forum active), get together to do something that most of them have done many times before experience extreme lag when they are trying to do it really fast(high dps). It is just as reasonable for me to assume that a small party causes no problems, but a large party doing extreme DPS is causing the problem. Removing the troublesome raids seems as reasonable a solution as removing hirelings. ( both pretty foolish IMO but that’s the DDO forums)

I could even suggest that doing high level raids brings out the worst in people. It makes them loot greedy, intolerant of others and helps foster an attitude that makes people act like they are better than others. It isn’t true in many cases but it is no different than suggesting hirelings make people lazy and play poorly. I am not happy about the nerfs either, I will live and so will everyone else. If Turbine(not forum dwellers) were to come out and say hirelings are causing extreme lag and removing them will help out a high percentage of the DDO population I would survive, live with it and not whine about it. How have most people handled the update 5 information on the forums? Largely like spoiled children.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaodan View Post
    Ramping up to 1200 players online:

Everyone solos: 1200 quests active, each with monster AI plus player actions, plus 1 (or more) hireling AI

vs.

Everyone groups: 200 quests active (or 100 raids, or a combo of the two), each with monster AI plus player actions, no hireling AI.

1200 quests vs 200 is dramatic to server resources and server-side lag.

More soloing = more lag.

Period.
    Yeah really i cannot see how people dont understand this issue ... really even if your soloing

if all the people on both sides are soloing .. .the one with the AI controled hierling requires more resources (only slightly but still more)

ITS CAUSE YOU ADD AN AI CONTROLLED ELEMENT !!!!!!!

its not rocket science every calculation the computer has to make puts more load on it .. .so every heal the hierling makes .. .every computer controled movement .. .every physics check both against hierling and for the hierling adds to the number of calculations per second the computer has to make ...

I am not so certain I buy into your reasoning that hirelings cause more lag. As a general rule I experience zero lag. Very infrequently have I ever experienced any and I cannot exempt my connection. I have been told by people who raid certain raids very often that they have extreme lag when they have a very high DPS party. So, when very highly geared people, a small percentage of the population(very forum active), get together to do something that most of them have done many times before experience extreme lag when they are trying to do it really fast(high dps). It is just as reasonable for me to assume that a small party causes no problems, but a large party doing extreme DPS is causing the problem. Removing the troublesome raids seems as reasonable a solution as removing hirelings. ( both pretty foolish IMO but that’s the DDO forums)

I could even suggest that doing high level raids brings out the worst in people. It makes them loot greedy, intolerant of others and helps foster an attitude that makes people act like they are better than others. It isn’t true in many cases but it is no different than suggesting hirelings make people lazy and play poorly. I am not happy about the nerfs either, I will live and so will everyone else. If Turbine(not forum dwellers) were to come out and say hirelings are causing extreme lag and removing them will help out a high percentage of the DDO population I would survive, live with it and not whine about it. How have most people handled the update 5 information on the forums? Largely like spoiled children.
    First off DPS lag is a myth ... its not the DPS that lags us out its the shear number of calculations being made every second .... the same number of calculations that would be made if the same people where doing other missions at the same time ... only difference is the more people together the more it effects you directly ...

its not caused by the fact that there are 12 people rather then 1 person and a hierling in a mission its caused by the shear number of people on the server and when you get lots of them together it magnifies the symptoms ... the symptom is not the cause ...

you dont have a cough because you have a cough ... you have a cough because you have a cold ....

the cough is the outcome of the cold ... just like lag in shroud is the outcome of high server stress caused by over instancing and to many calculations being made over all the world at once.

you might not experience lag .... ever .... if you never leave the marketplace i doubt you ever will ... This game has always seemed to show less lag over all in individual instances ... but world lag is always and has always been huge ...

now its worse cause with an influx of players since mod 9 aka DDO:E.Unlimited and hierlings now there are more then 3 times (infact if turbine wasnt lieing its 5 times our player base) the people playing ..

more people = more server stress...

now you take more people and rather then have them work together you have them each open seperate instances ... causing twice as many calculations for physics checks cause each is fighting off 10 mobs at once rather then each fighting 1-2 mobs at once (be it that others in the party contribute to the killing)

also the longer a mob stays alive (or the longer it takes to kill it ) the more calculations have to be made ... if its still alive it still needs to swing check its physics against you and you need to swing and check your physics against it ...

in a full group the mobs die faster ... or at least are active for less time ... even if everyone in your 6 man group sucks and you are uber ... they are still going to do SOME damage ... there for taking your over all time down if you play at your optimum level.

meaning not only are there less mobs in a full group but less time to kill them meaning less work the computer has to do to calculate moves physics attack damage attack range casting healing and DA ......

if this wasnt the case then they wouldnt have implemented DA ... cause it is the exact same thing they where fighting against ... solo play zerging activated more mobs needed more calculations and caused a great deal of server lag.

and just so you know ... highly geared people are not a small part of the population .... shroud gear can be grinded out very easily ... if you have 4 characters and each hit lvl 20 i can pretty much bet at least two of them have one tier III shroud weapon or item if not more ...

i have 5 characters at lvl 20 i rarely run shroud on my caster (has only 10 completions) i have 50 on my monk 22 on my main fighter 10 on my other fighter and 6 on my healer (i know i know but really i suck as a healer so you dont want me to play him trust me) and i have two single shard weapons and one single shard item and one double shard item on my monk ... i have two single shard items and two double shard weapons on my main tank ... i have one single shard weapon on my other tank and i have two tier II items one on my cleric and one on my wizard.

and i have the pre crafted ingredients for a tier III for my sorc who is only lvl 15 and enough for another lighingstirke right now if i want ...

i dont run it every day ... shoot maybe twice a week ...

and there are many people who actually farm items who prolly have 4-6 items on each of there 12 lvl 20 characters.

and MMO's make people loot greedy not Raids ... you have any idea how crazy people would get about other people pulling wounding puncturing rapiers back in the day ... more people get crazy over non raid loot then raid loot if you ask me ... raid loot at least you know you have a 50 50 chance after your 20th run if you never got it ...

SPOILED CHILDREN!!! that is name calling and i have heard people get infractions for less ....

so watch out ...

as you prolly havent been with the game for the last 4 years and prolly dont know the trials and tribulations that have lead to update 5 being considered the worst move in turbine history and other stating only good thing to come of it is new content or dubing it Nerfdate 5 .... so i will let that one slide as you prolly have no clue about what your talking about ... .

which is pretty obvious be it that you cannot see past your own play style to see how more active mobs and more active AI causes lag for everyone else .....

if turbine came out and said hierlings create lag they would be saying they made a mistake and if you know anything about turbine you know they dont have the ..... ah .... how to put this lightly ... ability to admit they where wrong.
    SITH HAPPENS

Yeah really i cannot see how people dont understand this issue ... really even if your soloing

if all the people on both sides are soloing .. .the one with the AI controled hierling requires more resources (only slightly but still more)

ITS CAUSE YOU ADD AN AI CONTROLLED ELEMENT !!!!!!!

its not rocket science every calculation the computer has to make puts more load on it .. .so every heal the hierling makes .. .every computer controled movement .. .every physics check both against hierling and for the hierling adds to the number of calculations per second the computer has to make ...

First off DPS lag is a myth ... its not the DPS that lags us out its the shear number of calculations being made every second .... the same number of calculations that would be made if the same people where doing other missions at the same time ... only difference is the more people together the more it effects you directly ...

its not caused by the fact that there are 12 people rather then 1 person and a hierling in a mission its caused by the shear number of people on the server and when you get lots of them together it magnifies the symptoms ... the symptom is not the cause ...

you dont have a cough because you have a cough ... you have a cough because you have a cold ....

the cough is the outcome of the cold ... just like lag in shroud is the outcome of high server stress caused by over instancing and to many calculations being made over all the world at once.

you might not experience lag .... ever .... if you never leave the marketplace i doubt you ever will ... This game has always seemed to show less lag over all in individual instances ... but world lag is always and has always been huge ...

now its worse cause with an influx of players since mod 9 aka DDO:E.Unlimited and hierlings now there are more then 3 times (infact if turbine wasnt lieing its 5 times our player base) the people playing ..

more people = more server stress...

now you take more people and rather then have them work together you have them each open seperate instances ... causing twice as many calculations for physics checks cause each is fighting off 10 mobs at once rather then each fighting 1-2 mobs at once (be it that others in the party contribute to the killing)

also the longer a mob stays alive (or the longer it takes to kill it ) the more calculations have to be made ... if its still alive it still needs to swing check its physics against you and you need to swing and check your physics against it ...

in a full group the mobs die faster ... or at least are active for less time ... even if everyone in your 6 man group sucks and you are uber ... they are still going to do SOME damage ... there for taking your over all time down if you play at your optimum level.

meaning not only are there less mobs in a full group but less time to kill them meaning less work the computer has to do to calculate moves physics attack damage attack range casting healing and DA ......

if this wasnt the case then they wouldnt have implemented DA ... cause it is the exact same thing they where fighting against ... solo play zerging activated more mobs needed more calculations and caused a great deal of server lag.

and just so you know ... highly geared people are not a small part of the population .... shroud gear can be grinded out very easily ... if you have 4 characters and each hit lvl 20 i can pretty much bet at least two of them have one tier III shroud weapon or item if not more ...

i have 5 characters at lvl 20 i rarely run shroud on my caster (has only 10 completions) i have 50 on my monk 22 on my main fighter 10 on my other fighter and 6 on my healer (i know i know but really i suck as a healer so you dont want me to play him trust me) and i have two single shard weapons and one single shard item and one double shard item on my monk ... i have two single shard items and two double shard weapons on my main tank ... i have one single shard weapon on my other tank and i have two tier II items one on my cleric and one on my wizard.

and i have the pre crafted ingredients for a tier III for my sorc who is only lvl 15 and enough for another lighingstirke right now if i want ...

i dont run it every day ... shoot maybe twice a week ...

and there are many people who actually farm items who prolly have 4-6 items on each of there 12 lvl 20 characters.

and MMO's make people loot greedy not Raids ... you have any idea how crazy people would get about other people pulling wounding puncturing rapiers back in the day ... more people get crazy over non raid loot then raid loot if you ask me ... raid loot at least you know you have a 50 50 chance after your 20th run if you never got it ...

SPOILED CHILDREN!!! that is name calling and i have heard people get infractions for less ....

so watch out ...

as you prolly havent been with the game for the last 4 years and prolly dont know the trials and tribulations that have lead to update 5 being considered the worst move in turbine history and other stating only good thing to come of it is new content or dubing it Nerfdate 5 .... so i will let that one slide as you prolly have no clue about what your talking about ... .

which is pretty obvious be it that you cannot see past your own play style to see how more active mobs and more active AI causes lag for everyone else .....

if turbine came out and said hierlings create lag they would be saying they made a mistake and if you know anything about turbine you know they dont have the ..... ah .... how to put this lightly ... ability to admit they where wrong.
    Touched a nerve eh? Lol I have been playing MMOs since UO. I have always participated on the forums in every game. Zero infractions, can you say the same? I will let Turbine decide about my posting. I can easily say every single thing you are saying about the lag you could be making up. You might have some experience but you do not know for sure. I have played every single Turbine game, they have admitted many times when they have made a mistake. So I know some things.

Here is something else I know. In every other game I have played and this one, when I am solo or duo and have herded insane amount of mobs together to AoE, zero lag. Take a huge amount of PCs and put them in one place, 40 man raids in WoW, Huge PvP in WoW, huge raids in EQ, try to have massive guild meeting in AC1 and AC2 or do huge group pvp, basically any time you put a large amount of PCs together you get lag, the bad lag. Shoot, AC1 would teleport you out of town if too many people went but you could have 5000 Olthoi(exag) on you in the hive and have no lag. It is just as likely something coded into the way combat works that more groups of 12 are responsible as hirelings for lag. I will in fact trust Turbine on what is the cause for the lag vs people who are bitter on the forums about changes to the game.

Naturally removing hirelings is a radical measure, hirelings have a niche in the game.
    Thing is hireling lag and dps lag are not trivial and really deserve dev research.

The bits of drama seems to come from the varied player's experience.
    People not getting hireling lag is probably careful or not zerging and thus don't get in trouble long enough to get lag.
    Hirelings on passive mode or facing no challenge don't get lag either.
    Still there's people reporting hireling lag in situations that aren't too well documented.

Furthermore quests where u can get hireling lag are also ones where full group is advised
    (many players are wary about unnecessary dungeon scaling, they tell you not to bring hirelings).
    Thus only the people that insist on bringing hirelings there get to notice the hireling lag.
    This leads to more forum postings on some player complaining about the lag while soloing with a hireling.

Basically it comes down to that you felt hurt by the weapon fighting "nerf" and want to spoil other peoples fun. "If they nerf me, why not them?" Why not get rid of green steel and multiple weapon effects? I'm sure those cause lag too.

I've run dungeons with five hirelings, in fact it's one of my favorite things to do, and i rarely if ever get lag that isn't from some computer on my network deciding to download an update (six computers connected 24/7, doing their thing). Only once in the past few months have i had lag that was more than momentary. If hirelings caused lag as much as others are saying, i'd be having a ton of lag, which i'm not.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast