Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Member

Default Caster Killer Advice

I was inspired to construct a dedicated caster killer.

Question is....what is/are the best class/classes for such a character?

I was thinking rogue for the sneak attack.
    I was thinking Paladin for the saves and martial weapons.

Would a Paladin/Rogue break the space/time continuum?

This sounds fine for a caster killer.
    I suggest five rogue / 15 paladin.

2014 DDO Players Council

Finger of Death normally works well for me
    Don't let common sense stop you...
    Qualified Devil's Advocate ` Refugee Boldrei '06 / Keeper '09

Stormreach Advisor
    Founder

2 levels of Paladin is all you need for great saves (as long as your Cha is good enough). Then you want Evasion (so either Rogue, Monk or Ranger). I'd take Rogue so you can UMD Heal scrolls for better self-healing.
    Could make it Rogue 12 (Acrobat II) / Ranger 6 / Paladin 2. I wouldn't take Tempest I because of the upcoming nerf to TWF, but Ranger 6 also gives you decent range abilities, which can be useful to take down perched casters. TWF Finesse with decent Str and you should be set
    Ranger 12 / Rogue 6 / Paladin 2 would probably work as well, for more DPS but less survivability.

Community Member

In my opinion, anything can be a really good Caster killer. However, I would suggest also considering the Ranger or Wizard. Rangers get Evasion and high Reflex saves, plus they can attack the Casters out of Melee Range - just be sure to get a fairly high Wisdom or choose Warforged to counteract the Will Save problem. For Wizards, they can simply throw a spell on them for which they are weak against; not everything is going to be strong in all three Saves.

Community Member

Thanks all.

I was thinking 3 levels of paladin, but now I think 2 is good enough.

Then the Assassin specialty? Can I get away with that in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by DavionFuxa View Post
    choose Warforged to counteract the Will Save problem.
    There are spells that require will saves that affect forged.

Community Member

There is the one feat where I can replace my Wisdom save bonus with my Charisma bonus.
    Is that worth the Feat and spending 4 ability points elsewhere?

Additionally, it occurred to me that 1 level of Sorcerer gets me Charm Person and that can be good at distracting casters.

Thoughts?

Sanity: It's a tiny island off the mainland of Foolishness. Exports are currently sanctioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishkunfana View Post
    I was inspired to construct a dedicated caster killer.

Question is....what is/are the best class/classes for such a character?

I was thinking rogue for the sneak attack.
    I was thinking Paladin for the saves and martial weapons.
    Monk. Monk. Monk.

Monk.

Also, Monk.

Sanity: It's a tiny island off the mainland of Foolishness. Exports are currently sanctioned.

Thanks all.

Paladin 2/Rogue 18

Assassin...

High saves but still very delicate, especially when the character has aggro and is reduced to level 1 for damage purposes.

Again, I have to say... Monk.

Of course, you *could* make an Arcane Archer....

Thanks all.

My Main character Star was a 2pally/18 rogue assasin for quite a while, till I started TRing. It works great. Saves in the 30s, tons of sneak damage, and an instakill attack that can work quite well on casters. Its hard on build points though as no stat is really a good "dump" stat, and you won't really have enough feats to waste one on force of personality.
    Star Firefall
    20 Rogue Assasin
    Currently on life 42 of 42 (Final Life!)

Community Member

Thanks for the input.

Avoiding the monk for now.

Maybe another time.

Community Member

There is the one feat where I can replace my Wisdom save bonus with my Charisma bonus.
    Is that worth the Feat and spending 4 ability points elsewhere?

Additionally, it occurred to me that 1 level of Sorcerer gets me Charm Person and that can be good at distracting casters.

Thoughts?
    Going 1 level of Sorcerer really wouldn't be good for anything, even with Heighten. I would advise against it.

As for the feat that changes your Will Saves to be based off your Charisma (also known as Force of Personality); I advise against it because there really is no character class where you will have enough feats to really consider it.

Note that this is different for Insightful Reflexes, where builds can include that feat. Insightful Reflexes is the skill that changes your Reflex Saves to be based of Intelligence. However, I don't think you could make a decent build where you would be able to make up for the Will Saves.

Community Member

OK- dropping the Charm Person idea.

In the green heart of GERMANY - where wilderness means the next village is 3 klicks away.

Casters are best dealt with if they are Tripped or Stunned. They have low STR and a low fort-save, so are prime targets for these combat tactics. (Fighter and barbarians are really good at this)

Good for defenses against their spells are high saves (2 Paladin) and Evasion (2 Rogue / 2 Monk)

-->
    12 Fighter-Kensai / 6 Rogue / 2 Paladin
    with high STR for combat tactics and a base CHA pre-race of 14 for saves.

Alternative:
    12 Fighter-Kensai / 6 Paladin / 2 Monk

Best race would be a Dwarf, as they get racial boni on saves against spells, up to +5! And dwarfs also handily get up to +3 racial boni on Trip and Stunning combat tactics.
    Erzskalde (Warchanter) / Erzmarschall (melee FvS) / Erzsoldat (waiting for TR-time) / Erzschmied (ranged Artificer)

AOK - From Argonnessen

Assuming you mean monsters that cast magic, I find that when there's one among many (kobold shaman and a ton of fighters), I find it best to simply sneak closer to them, select the desired caster, then cast (in case where applicable) Charm Humanoid. Makes it incredibly easy for all of the melee's around to simply kill the caster off, then voila. But that's just me.

A sorcerer. Fight fire with fire.

If you create one with decent saves, specially reflex and fortitude, and good hitpoints, you can laugh at your enemy spell casters, take that 200 damage fireball to the face, laugh at the fact it only hit for 40 damage, and return the favor with your 1400 damage polar ray or finger of death.

If you absolutely want a melee, pure monks work well enough (good saves, evasion, stunning blow vs casters)

If you're talking PvP then forget melee, any caster that isn't brain dead will murderize any pure melee class by switching to save-less spells. In that case, you want something with a good ranged attack, like for example an arcane archer, with a w/p bow. Add 2 paladin levels for good saves, and you already have evasion so...
    Last edited by Solmage; 06-12-2010 at 02:54 PM.
    Devs: Thanks for making Druids available to VIPs without the pack. This more than anything, has made me want to buy the pack.

Community Member

One of the things about enemy casters is their ability to start doing damage to you from a distance. Kobold shamans are notorious for hopping away, and sticking to walls like Spiderman, where you cannot reach them with melee. One major priority isn't so much killing them, since they are mostly easy to kill, as it is to STOP them from casting right off.

There are 3 basic ways to solve the problem- melee, stealth, or ranged.

So this implies a few things- first if you are using melee, you need to be able to charge the monster fast, and then stop it from escaping. So Expeditious Retreat & Jump clickies are helpful. To disable it- Trip and Stunning blow are great.

Assassin 2 stealth is a fine way to pop off a caster or 2, just sneak in, and do the deed. If they are moving about, you can mitigate the slow stealthing with 20-30% boots of Striding, or Ranger sprint boost, or a haste potion. Even the Assassin 1 poison can work against a caster- blocking spellcasting. But stealth fails vs Constructs, and Undead.

Ranged is actually best achieved with magic. There are a whole stack of insta-kill spells, and many direct damage ones. Against Undead casters- this is the best way to go.
    If you are working with other party members, you can also be more subtle, and opt to disable it with a Hold monster/Person spell, which permits auto crits. Toss a Soundburst to immobilise a pack of them. Or selectively Blind a monster so that your rogue can get his backstabs in.

Bards are surprisingly effective against enemy casters- Fascinate is powerful. Or use Otto's to take them out of the fight. I use a pair of Heavy Bursting picks on the Held ones, and usually kill them in a half second. Music of the Dead can work on the Undead, but a Clicky of halt Undead or Command Undead is fast, cheap and effective.

If you are running a Cleric/FvSoul, take a look at Command. It's like remote Judo, and then your heavy hitters can go all LAPD on it when it's on the ground helpless.

Actual ranged combat has major drawbacks. The rate of DPS is low, and the caster is usually able to do much mischief before it finally goes down. One of my Guildies gets past the problem by plinking at casters only from a very lonnnng distance away, so that it cannot acquire him as a target.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by RobinofSpiritwood View Post

If you are running a Cleric/FvSoul, take a look at Command. It's like remote Judo, and then your heavy hitters can go all LAPD on it when it's on the ground helpless.
    Thank you all for the input.
    I decided to go Pally 2/ Rogue assassin 14 so far. (I have TR'd four other toons and this is my oldest. It needs more love.)

But this line won the thread.

Hero
    2015 DDO Players Council

Thank you all for the input.
    I decided to go Pally 2/ Rogue assassin 14 so far. (I have TR'd four other toons and this is my oldest. It needs more love.)

But this line won the thread.
    You may have waited to long to thank him since he hasn't made any posts in over a year and a half.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast