Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Community Member Lorien_the_First_One's Avatar

Default I've had enough...

I think its break time. When my sub runs out later this week, I’ll take a little break. For all those I play with in game or chat with here…I’ll certainly be back at some point (at least as Premium, I have a few thousand TPs waiting to be used), but U5 has stripped the joy of this game from me for now.

/rant on

I joined the game in 2006 and I’ve had a sub ever since. This is the first and only MMO that ever got my money for more than 1 month (I’ve always been a FPS gamer). What drew me to this game was, and I quote from the box, it was “real D&D”, “no grinding”, “no travelling, just quest”. I loved it. It felt like D&D, there was no ninja looting (except silly stuff like a handful of coins on the floor), and you ran the quests you wanted to, no real grinding, just as promised.

Slowly it’s lost that feel. The game has become more and more of a grind. SoS was the first really over the top grind, so I pretended it didn’t exist.

At one point I loved ToD – it flagged just like Shroud, one run in each quest and you were in. Sure, until/unless you had boots you had to be strategic with who had what jobs, but that gave you options around grinding and forced strategy choices. Then they change the boot mechanic and forced a grind. Another area that I just didn’t want to play in. I went from flagging every character as fast as possible to “eh, why bother”.

Then came Epic…it seemed to be the definition of grind, and it added ninja looting. Another thing crossed off the list.

So TR became my end game. Get characters to 20, then try something different with them, super twinked with shroud and raid gear showing up starting at L10-14. It’s been fun.

Then U5 comes… You know what really got me? It’s not the nerfs, it’s not the new grinds they continue to add, because you can adapt to change and choose what grinds to ignore… It’s that they have continued to strip D&D out of the game, and that’s why I came, to get my D&D fix.

I can’t stand the change they are doing to the dice notation. It’s been iconic that way for a quarter century – DICE is what makes the game D&D. You need idiot text, fine, but what should be first and foremost is the D&D flavor.

Then there are the scrags…the only trolls that work they way they are supposed to. Rather than fix all the trolls to work properly, they break the one set of trolls they got right to dumb it down and take away yet more D&D lore.

And then there is guild renown. In D&D how well you are known should be based on your deeds. Links to favor, raid completions, quest completions, even explorers and rares would make sense, but based on how lucky you were at looting bodies? Really? That’s what you are famous for?

I know these seem like small things, but that D&D flavor is important.

The DDO team is doing their best to make a successful game, which is their job. But I don’t think they care if this game has anything to do with D&D anymore. It’s just another MMO with a FPS like combat interface.

/end rant

And no, you can’t have my stuff, it all sucks anyway

Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar
    Tempest's Spine where my minions bow to my greatness

Nnnnnnoooooooo!!!!!!!!!
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

WikiGnome

Quote Originally Posted by Lorien_the_First_One View Post
    And then there is guild renown. In D&D how well you are known should be based on your deeds. Links to favor, raid completions, quest completions, even explorers and rares would make sense, but based on how lucky you were at looting bodies? Really? That’s what you are famous for?
    Based on comments by MadFloyd, it does not seem intended and there is hope for that to be changed.

As for the rest, I completely agree on all your end game comments. Many of these are part of the reasons I don't play end game and only sporadically play the rest of the game lately. I,m not quite sure why Turbine does not address those flaws like ninja-looting or excessive grind which, quite frankly, I can't really conceive anyone defending. For me, U5 is full of improvements is finally an update that I am looking forward too for the first time in a long while but I completely understand where you're coming from.

I have never played with you but I'll miss your forum presence, so I'll be hoping this is only a temporary break. Take care man.
    Last edited by Borror0; 06-07-2010 at 08:32 PM.
    DDOwiki.com, #1 source for DDO information.

Lorien, you and I have had disagreements at times, but I will definitely miss your opinions, more than once has something you have said brought a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) angle to light that I had missed.

I hope to see you around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Philam View Post
    I nominate you as head developer of DDO!
    Quote Originally Posted by FlimsyFirewood View Post
    That tears it. I need to get a donkey.
    Concentrated power is the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

At the top of tempest spine drinking my big ole beers:)

Going to miss you around here. But I cant say that I disagree with alot of what you have said either. It seems more and more like the devs went to staples and purchased the DDO wide easy button to install in the game. The grind is getting worse. I love the RR lotto. The boot issue yeah love that one. The content I seem to run the most high lvl is the Vale stuff well and RR. Good luck you better get back soon.
    Toons are in a constant state of flux. Khyber server.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillea View Post
    Maybe your forum name should be lord_of_halfling_rage then...

Default Not too sure what you talking about ...

This game is fully D&D like ,like in VON you have to fight pillar and sh!t to beat a gargantuan Red Dragon that doesn't move !!! You can also have totally realistic AC like 109 !!! Like in P&P the GM really listen to us so we enjoy the world and encounter they created for us !!! And no there is no grind in this game at all ... its all an illusion ... and they will revamp/recycle SoS pretty soon you should wait to see what they gonna do with it , probably remove the randomness so people run it . TR is totally what we all need , i wish there would be a reward to loose 5423 hours of my life to TR the same toon 12 times !!!

All the new content get easier and easier , also a lot faster , a bit like cheap greasy fast food we all enjoy so much !!!

I wasn't aware they would have that much creativity for guild renown !!! This is wonderfully so D&D !!!

We all know that this game is as close as it get to have the D&D experience . I really don't know what you talking about .
    BTW I don't do Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by acidtiger View Post
    Say what you will about WoW, but they have content and I don't feel like I'm being bent over every update.

Community Member

damn, bro. sorry to see you go, but i totally agree with everything in your post. been kinda feeling this way myself, but im stuck till october. biding my time until then.

alot of you good players that have stuck it out are calling it quits. my love for the game is lost. wife is happier, but meh. i loved me some ddo. now its just plain hard to log in at all. either way, you will be missed here by some, and hated by some. i wish you well, and wizzly, and a few others. maybe update 5 isnt the dooom we all expect, and only take a break for a bit. you never know.
    woundweaver 20 cl woundcleaver 20 barb woundbleeder 17 barb woundreaver 20 ftr woundheal 18 cl
    woundedsoul 20 fvs woundedfist 20 monk woundshadow 20 fvs woundtoaster 20 wiz woundtusk 15 monk

I think its break time. When my sub runs out later this week, I’ll take a little break. For all those I play with in game or chat with here…I’ll certainly be back at some point (at least as Premium, I have a few thousand TPs waiting to be used), but U5 has stripped the joy of this game from me for now.

/rant on

I joined the game in 2006 and I’ve had a sub ever since. This is the first and only MMO that ever got my money for more than 1 month (I’ve always been a FPS gamer). What drew me to this game was, and I quote from the box, it was “real D&D”, “no grinding”, “no travelling, just quest”. I loved it. It felt like D&D, there was no ninja looting (except silly stuff like a handful of coins on the floor), and you ran the quests you wanted to, no real grinding, just as promised.

Slowly it’s lost that feel. The game has become more and more of a grind. SoS was the first really over the top grind, so I pretended it didn’t exist.

At one point I loved ToD – it flagged just like Shroud, one run in each quest and you were in. Sure, until/unless you had boots you had to be strategic with who had what jobs, but that gave you options around grinding and forced strategy choices. Then they change the boot mechanic and forced a grind. Another area that I just didn’t want to play in. I went from flagging every character as fast as possible to “eh, why bother”.

Then came Epic…it seemed to be the definition of grind, and it added ninja looting. Another thing crossed off the list.

So TR became my end game. Get characters to 20, then try something different with them, super twinked with shroud and raid gear showing up starting at L10-14. It’s been fun.

Then U5 comes… You know what really got me? It’s not the nerfs, it’s not the new grinds they continue to add, because you can adapt to change and choose what grinds to ignore… It’s that they have continued to strip D&D out of the game, and that’s why I came, to get my D&D fix.

I can’t stand the change they are doing to the dice notation. It’s been iconic that way for a quarter century – DICE is what makes the game D&D. You need idiot text, fine, but what should be first and foremost is the D&D flavor.

Then there are the scrags…the only trolls that work they way they are supposed to. Rather than fix all the trolls to work properly, they break the one set of trolls they got right to dumb it down and take away yet more D&D lore.

The DDO team is doing their best to make a successful game, which is their job. But I don’t think they care if this game has anything to do with D&D anymore. It’s just another MMO with a FPS like combat interface.

/end rant

can i save this speech for when i quit later this year? you pretty much hit it on the head, just not the same game anymore and getting worse with every nerfdate. besides your is much more civil and does not have all the ************* ******** cussing and ****.

oh and tc man

I think its break time............

Never ran with you, but as Borro0 says, will definitely miss your presence.

When I'm scanning threads, you're one of the names I generally stop to read responses for.

Take care, happy questing in the RL realm.

btw my loot sucks too, don't feel too bad

Cheers
    -Perma (Rob)
    Last edited by Asketes; 06-07-2010 at 09:09 PM.
    (Perma) - Khyber - Official Helpers Guild Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is an extremely valuable party buff.

Yeah... every mod/update they seem to be moving further from what drew me to the game in the first place... Simplifying to the point where it no longer even feels like D&D, and then limiting choices at every turn... How many epic/raids even need or can use a caster let alone 2... Most bards can buff as well as any caster... and well they are not much better than buffbots now... While the changes to TWF I think are being blown way out of proportion, many other changes seem to be too much....

But good luck Lorien.... many more may be joining you soon...
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

My reasons for breaking are pretty much in line with yours. DDO is feeling less D&D, and the grind keeps increasing. And ninja looting is terribly unfun.
    Thelanis - Former VIP for ~4 years. Not currently playing.
    Former officer of Indago, server-wide 2nd place: Titan, Queen, Reaver, & Abbot
    ==GREAT MEMORIES========= :: PESTILENCE :: =========GREAT COMMUNITY==
    Vhlad / Vhladx / Vhladxx / Vhladxxx / Vhladxxxx / Vhladxxxxx / Vhlade / Vhlader / Vhlada

You will be greatly missed here on the forums. You are one of the forum posters that even when I don't agree with you I always looked forward to what you had to say.

I can't blame you however as it is a discrace what Turbine is slowly doing to this once great game.

Take care and I hope to see you back one day.
    Last edited by Narmolanya; 06-07-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Origanal wording sounded like I don't agree with you on this issue and I do agree.
    My real forum Join date is July 2007. Maybe one day someone will develop the awsome technology to fix this currently unfixable bug.

I'm thinking we should Truly rename this game to WoW: Eberron Unlimited Grinding
    (Say): Haywire says, '"Hey, I don't come into yer home and play with things."'

Spot on for all comments listed bro. Only know you from forums obviously but /salute. You saved me the trouble of posting a lot of posts by saying what I was thinking already.
    sravana, kirtana, smarana, dasya, atma-nivedana
    ...NAMASTE...

Founder
    2015 DDO Players Council

Well Lorien, your rant is spot on man, spot on. I can deal with some grind, a bunch of nerfs, but moving the game away from D&D is wearing away my dwindling desire to log in anymore as well.

Take care man.
    Git off mah lawn!

If, If's and But's was Candies and Nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Asketes View Post
    Never ran with you, but as Borro0 says, will definitely miss your presence.

When I'm scanning threads, you're one of the names I generally stop to read responses for.

Take care, happy questing in the RL realm.
    This

Daaag,
    Hang with me dude. No shroud, no guild, no epic just rolling alt after alt and running the harbor and the marketplace quests over and over and over.
    It's mind numbingly peaceful.

Wow, It kinda feels like George Washington just said "F this" and hopped off the one dollar bill in disgust.
    Good luck.

Hall of Famer & Hero DoctorWhofan's Avatar
    Tempest's Spine where my minions bow to my greatness

<<rubs hands and starts planning to catch up to Lorien's post count...>>

If you stay away too long, I will hunt you down.
    +The Goddess of Tempest's Spine+Merc's Only, THELANIS: List is here: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php...94#post2798094 LEGIONNAIRE /Salute to Rameses, He has RETURNED!

Quote Originally Posted by phillymiket View Post
    Wow, It Kinda Feels Like George Washington Just Said "f This" And Hopped Off The One Dollar Bill In Disgust.
    Good Luck.
    This!
    (Perma) - Khyber - Official Helpers Guild Noob
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladrin View Post
    Grease is an extremely valuable party buff.

/rant on

/end rant

Well said; here's hoping they listen. +1
    Proud Officer and Member of the Exploration Society Thelanis Server
    "Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV." Morty
    *Dunkurk Qirva Donnar Zoraida Dolvar Zorg Salii Smally Kungfugee Kruknud Smully Warfrog*

Lorien never grouped with you in game but you helped me out alot on the forums. Thanks man
    Pinotnoir Drinksalot
    Chesttie~Dansant~Crystina

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast