Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Renderguard will stay just as it is. The guild charter makes no allowances for quitters, and membership recruitment ended upon creation.
    "I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities" - Vaarsuvius, OoTS #674

Who can keep track of all the flights and hotels?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkeysix View Post
    But is it cumulative or only finishing it once? My understanding is that it is like experience points. IOW, if I am in a guild that just did Shroud on Elite, then my guild would get x number of points. But if a 'rival' guild has 6 groups that do it, they get 6 times the 'xp' for their guild.

Even as I type this, I find myself cringing. I am NOT saying I am worried about this for the reason of I want to have the most "renown" in my guild. I am saying that I have lots of friends that play this game and I have seen silly things like DKP in guilds destroy them...and that was something the guild did internally. An external point system for a bunch of game addicted (myself included) guys could spell a huge shake up in how guilds operate.

Right now, I don't think anybody in my guild cares if I have done SoS on elite...but some people might if it gets us a popcorn machine on our airship!
    While I can't say for sure as the system won't be updated on Lammania until I think they said Tues, it does sound like it will be per quest, not only the first time. (if that was what you were implying)

If that wasn't then here's the other point I was trying to make in my post. I know that some if not many of the smaller guilds keep themselves relatively small because they all know their guildies abilities and no one has to try to be the "big guy on campus" (most of the time), this usually leads to quicker more efficient runs. I also know some of the large guilds (and i'm not naming names or pointing fingers) take a long time to finish quests that other guilds fly through in no time at all.

So to wrap up my point, If guild a finishes 1 raid every 25 minutes, and guild b finishes 3 every hour 15 minutes, whats the difference?

If that makes sense.
    Knorgh (triple triple completionist) Currently 12 Wizard/6 Ranger/2 Monk

Quote Originally Posted by mudfud View Post
    Not to be rude or mean, but why care about other guilds? Worry about yourself and your guild. The problem with most people is they are so focused on others as you stated in the previous post before it about how obsessive people can get if they don't have something you do.
    How does me having a lvl85 storm airship and all the amenities effect you because you don't?

People as a whole need to focus on themselves and what it takes for them to have the fun. I can't have the fun for you and send it to you in the mail.
    Looks like you have been around since 2006. No doubt you have been in a guild or two and have friends that play that may be in other guilds. My worry is about my fun. Not trying to sound too self-centered, but I am mainly worried about how this will effect me and the people I like playing with.

I will make no bones about it: I have seen crazy stuff like this cause friends to quit playing together, guilds to break up, guys to quit the game. A stupid DKP system broke up one good guild I was in, and a lack of a 'guild raid schedule' broke up another one. Hell, I would rather guilds broke up because somebody hit on somebody's girlfriend or called mama a name than some of the things I have seen. (And this really isn't about my guild. I think my guild leader is way more worried about the bunny hat nerf than the guild rep system )

I sincerely hope that this ends up just being a fun distraction. I hope it is no more of a draw than PvP. It isn't going to keep me up at night, but I have heard lots of the guys I like playing with talking about this...and they aren't saying the same things...that makes me sad.
    Last edited by Seamonkeysix; 06-05-2010 at 11:34 PM.
    “No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy”

Quote Originally Posted by Towrn View Post
    While I can't say for sure as the system won't be updated on Lammania until I think they said Tues, it does sound like it will be per quest, not only the first time. (if that was what you were implying)

If that wasn't then here's the other point I was trying to make in my post. I know that some if not many of the smaller guilds keep themselves relatively small because they all know their guildies abilities and no one has to try to be the "big guy on campus" (most of the time), this usually leads to quicker more efficient runs. I also know some of the large guilds (and i'm not naming names or pointing fingers) take a long time to finish quests that other guilds fly through in no time at all.

So to wrap up my point, If guild a finishes 1 raid every 25 minutes, and guild b finishes 3 every hour 15 minutes, whats the difference?

If that makes sense.
    I hear you. I hope that it works like that. I REALLY hope the end product is that guildies run with guildies and people get into more positive social and fun gaming situations with their buddies.

I actually think that could happen. I actually really like playing on Sarlona and the people who play here are the best in DDO, imo. Sometimes I can be a bit cynical. I think I am just worried about the possible negs this could bring.

I do appreciate the feedback. I really mainly wanted to see what the Sarlonian horde was thinking about this.

Who can keep track of all the flights and hotels?!?!?!?!?!

I hear you. I hope that it works like that. I REALLY hope the end product is that guildies run with guildies and people get into more positive social and fun gaming situations with their buddies.

I actually think that could happen. I actually really like playing on Sarlona and the people who play here are the best in DDO, imo. Sometimes I can be a bit cynical. I think I am just worried about the possible negs this could bring.

I do appreciate the feedback. I really mainly wanted to see what the Sarlonian horde was thinking about this.
    You should look at the 2 thread over on the Lamannian Threads about this, 1 I started and has some really good ideas in there from other people over there testing, and the other is the Feedback:Guild Leveling thread where there is some really great discussion of how it is working, how it should work, what else could be added and what should never happen.
    Knorgh (triple triple completionist) Currently 12 Wizard/6 Ranger/2 Monk

I figure that since ours need be only half the size, it should start out with double the pimp

Quote Originally Posted by geoffhanna View Post
    I figure that since ours need be only half the size, it should start out with double the pimp
    Heck, Halfling Commandos need not worry. There are billions of you little guys!

Looks like you have been around since 2006. No doubt you have been in a guild or two and have friends that play that may be in other guilds. My worry is about my fun. Not trying to sound too self-centered, but I am mainly worried about how this will effect me and the people I like playing with.

I will make no bones about it: I have seen crazy stuff like this cause friends to quit playing together, guilds to break up, guys to quit the game. A stupid DKP system broke up one good guild I was in, and a lack of a 'guild raid schedule' broke up another one. Hell, I would rather guilds broke up because somebody hit on somebody's girlfriend or called mama a name than some of the things I have seen.

I sincerely hope that this ends up just being a fun distraction. I hope it is no more of a draw than PvP. It isn't going to keep me up at night, but I have heard lots of the guys I like playing with talking about this...and they aren't saying the same things...that makes me sad.
    This is the reason you choose to stay small imo... my guild has is not one of the "famous" guilds but we will hold our own....because we know how to have fun and not obsess over small things like no cleric epics :P
    Are some people gonna go and try to make mega-guilds to farm guild favor and then use that as an extension of myddo type screening...probably but that doesnt effect my play because if my guild cant quest in a given day then I have a few honorary guilds that will let my bards create chaotic havoc without worrying about my guild level.
    Last edited by Dragonhyde; 06-05-2010 at 11:42 PM.
    Halflings Rule and never irritate anyone that can cast dispell

Quote Originally Posted by moops View Post
    While I think that some of the Guild things look fun--The DPS Dummy for instance--I don't think that anything that guilds get for renown is a necessity to the fun that I have in game. . .Or to our Guild completing quests or Raids--that said, tho we are small we have quite a few power gamers in our guild, so I don't imagine we will be too far behind--as we do raids and quests quite faster than most groups, and are rich enough to choose guild renown over end rewards--and many of us are expert famers--tho Im not about to farm a quest purely for renown. . .
    yep. caffeine has no plans and will have no merger plans . we wil lpal yas we always have. renown will coem with time.

Caffeine, We aren't strategically savvy!™.
    Video Archive of Quests

o m f g!!!! Guild ships drop torc scrolls? I want one!!!!!

QE was formed by a few people in big guilds that got sick of running in big guilds. Some of our core principles go against some of the very things you are scared of. We will not chase after a bunch of things to keep up with the Joneses. If some of our members dont like that, very likely they will find a guild that will. We will participate in guild renown as much or as little as we as a guild see fit. This is a promise, as all active members in QE have been voted to be accepted by every member.

Now can other small guilds say the same? I have no freaking clue, but it should be fun to watch a few train wrecks regardless

Guild size means nothing to most seasoned vets. Most know that no one guild is made up of the top players on the server, rather the best of the best are spread out between a number of guilds. Most of the start up guilds that have ballooned quickly either have a bad rep, have many horrible players (horrible, not new) or are folding. Likely only a few of the very large start ups will stand the test of time.

So grab some popcorn and wait with me for the mod to see if any guilds self destruct, and hope we get a good show with lots of laughs, and some hurt pride (we can all use a little less pride so i dont mind if someones including mine gets hurt )
    Sarlona's #1 Piker!!
    QuiknDirty~Quikster~Quikfire~Quikkilla~Quikinator~ Missquik~Quiktunes~Fatalbert~Bignugly~Quikmeister~ Member of Quantum Entropy!!

Community Member mediocresurgeon's Avatar

Guilds tend to stay small because (a) its easier to get to know everyone, and their playstyles/strengths/weaknesses, and (b) not everyone likes everyone else. I never like bringing up Guild Drama, but we all know it's there! Smaller guilds are easier to manage for this reason.

Smaller guilds won't necessarily need the biggest airship available (Who has 70 people logged on at the same time, anyway?) so they probably won't be missing out on much. Reiterating what Hex said, the bonuses are nice, but it won't be worth losing sleep if your guild doesn't have them.

The nerfing will continue until morale improves!

Quote Originally Posted by mediocresurgeon View Post
    Guilds tend to stay small because (a) its easier to get to know everyone, and their playstyles/strengths/weaknesses, and (b) not everyone likes everyone else. I never like bringing up Guild Drama, but we all know it's there! Smaller guilds are easier to manage for this reason.

Smaller guilds won't necessarily need the biggest airship available (Who has 70 people logged on at the same time, anyway?) so they probably won't be missing out on much. Reiterating what Hex said, the bonuses are nice, but it won't be worth losing sleep if your guild doesn't have them.
    and eventaully jsut from running the things we ru neveryday(we being caff and QE) both guilds will be level 100 and have the biggest ships for th emsot large,small,andcrew hookpoitns anyways. niehter guild is gonna go out and absorb or be absorbed jsut to save days or weeks time to get the msot options. i find it highly entertaining to see these guilds merging and becoming these huge groups of people who really dont know each otehr at all. i am positive , that those guilds will be the ones avoided by people who actually know what they are doing.

Video Archive of Quests

Actually from what I read they plan on scaling the renown so that smaller guilds will have as much chance as the bigger guilds to gain it. Haven't talked to anyone in testing to see if this is true but that is what the developers stated in an interview.
    ... a soldier,
    Full of strange oaths, and bearded like the pard,
    Jealous in honor, sudden and quick in quarrel,
    Seeking the bubble reputation,
    Even in the dragon's mouth.

of the darkness within my own soul's desire

Quote Originally Posted by Nysrock View Post
    Actually from what I read they plan on scaling the renown so that smaller guilds will have as much chance as the bigger guilds to gain it. Haven't talked to anyone in testing to see if this is true but that is what the developers stated in an interview.
    It is Imminent.... my Master.... *deep breathing* It will be done... They will join us.... or die.

So in looking at what is possible in the future of guilds and feedback I am getting from guys checking out U5 in Lamannia, I can't help but wonder what is in store for the current guild structure on Sarlona. My understanding of the guild renown and perks available to guilds sound like there will be strength in numbers. This is no time to get DoOoOmMMMy, but in the discussions I have had with guys that are actively looking at guild renown, I am wondering what it will mean for they way guilds are currently set up.

I have always been predisposed to join guilds of competent and mature gamers, not necessarily large in size. Scheduled 'guild raids' and so forth have never been a prerequisite of any guild I have been in. That being said, I tend to find myself in mid-sized to smaller guilds. Now I am wondering if that type of guild will even exist if large numbers are needed to get the best perks in guild-land.

I have talked it over with friends and guildies and am wondering if some of the smaller, but like-minded guilds will combine. I am also interested in seeing if there will be a mad rush to guild recruit right after U5 launches. I don't believe in l337 guild crapola, but I have always been one to look for a guild that has good guys, not just lots of them. I wonder if that will even exist soon.

I am posting this in Sarlona because that is where I play...and I am wondering what my Sarlona peeps are thinking about how guild renown is going to change things around here. (Or if it even will)
    im the leader of my guild and we are still small (9 members). i have been asked three times now to combine with another small guild. and even one larger one. though i have no intention of doing so. so i see what you mean there. i know that i won't be spamming invites. i prefer quality players over quantity
    *Sarlona server*
    -Wraistlynn 20th TR wizard-
    -Khellendros 20th Cleric-
    -Malystrix- Monster build

Quote Originally Posted by Wraistlynn View Post
    im the leader of my guild and we are still small (9 members). i have been asked three times now to combine with another small guild. and even one larger one. though i have no intention of doing so. so i see what you mean there. i know that i won't be spamming invites. i prefer quality players over quantity
    thats the perfect mentality to have as a guild leader.

its also something thatgets lost in most peoples mind when they are starting a brand new guild from scratch.

Video Archive of Quests

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by DelScorcho View Post
    Some guilds will combine, some will chug along with the ford festiva of airships, and some will expand with newbies. The biggest question is which guilds will we lose.
    Hopefully all of them. Guilds have NO PLACE in this game. after joining many guilds over the course of 3 years on this account and other ones i own i have found that the drama less guild does not exist. guilds are equivalent to second grade recess where kids stand around in little groups and if you aren't in one of those little clusters your shunned and treated badly. same thing. guilds are an abomination to this game and update 5's guild enhancements are the next terror to hit this game.

Or you could try to find a guild that fits your playstyle rather than joining every one that invites you.

Just sayin'.
    Person Æ, Sarlona
    Tanka Yomero (Human Hybrid) .:. Darani Yomero (Drow Sorcerer) .:. Yomero (WF Paladonk)

Smile Half the size, twice the pimp

Heck, Halfling Commandos need not worry. There are billions of you little guys!
    Someone keeps feeding us after midnight.

p.s. not worried at all, am really looking forward to this. Even if all we ever get is the entry level rowboat

Quote Originally Posted by drewrayder View Post
    Hopefully all of them. Guilds have NO PLACE in this game. after joining many guilds over the course of 3 years on this account and other ones i own i have found that the drama less guild does not exist. guilds are equivalent to second grade recess where kids stand around in little groups and if you aren't in one of those little clusters your shunned and treated badly. same thing. guilds are an abomination to this game and update 5's guild enhancements are the next terror to hit this game.
    If "every guild is bad" in your experience, and tons of other people have a differing opinion, such as "I like my guild", perhaps you should arrive at the logical conclusion that the problem isn't with "all the guilds", but with you really.
    Devs: Thanks for making Druids available to VIPs without the pack. This more than anything, has made me want to buy the pack.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast