Default Speed up DDO without investing in a new computer

Hi all,

I wanted to share my experience as I found a way to speed up DDO a LOT for a 15$-40$, depending on which USB flash drive you buy.

First of all, you need:
    -USB2.0 port on your computer
    -USB Flash Drive Hi-Speed of 8gb or more
    -a clean copy of DDO recently installed on your computer

Then, you just need to copy your DDO folder directly on the USB Flash Drive, should take like 15-20 min. After that, you just need to enter the DDO folder on your USB drive and open the dndlauncher.exe, which will open DDO.

Don't worry, its normal if its take time to do the check up before you can sign in, it's only the first time. After that it is gonna load the launcher fast.

After you sign in, you should already see a difference in the first character you gonna load in DDO and when you will start moving, it is gonna be better than before by a lot.

I tried it on 2 computers, a laptop and a desktop that were having difficulty to play quest without lagging, and the desktop was lagging A LOT! And after I tried the USB Flash Drive, I didn't get any more lag, and I was able to put it to high graphic

P.S. You need to know that as of know, I tried this with computer having windows xp, Im gonna try with windows 7 soon and see how it does. Will update as soon as I try it.

Hope this help you, and you be nice to have people write in this thread to tell the difference between before and after

Have fun guys and girls!

Xalekk - 18pal/2rog Xalek - 18barb/2rog
    Xalekia - 18Rng/1Mnk/1Rog Alekian - 12wiz/6mnk/2ftr
    Cynvan - 18Clr/2Mnk Aleathiel - 20 sorc

Community Member

interesting move, moving the client to solid state..

keep in mind if you have an SSD drive, this will reduce performance. though, if you have one, you probably are not worried about performance

or you could just overclock...

edit: disclaimer; overclocking can ruin your computer, even if you know what you are doing. dont mess with it. although, a quadcore at 4.3ghz runs things smoothly for me

Could also look at getting more RAM as well.

There are actually many, many, many things you can do before -anyone- should invest in a brand new computer (CPU, if socket/mobo can handle it, GPU, PSU, RAM, and even cooling can improve performance). Defragging your HDD consistently helps as well, though do NOT defrag an SSD. On a laptop, improving cooling (if its older, cleaning out air flow channels) can improve performance drastically. most laptops can upgrade RAM, and most can also upgrade the CPU, but not much beyond that. Best upgrade for a laptop is undoubtedly an SSD. Also note that mobile CPUs tend to be much more expensive due to higher temp thresholds, and proprietary tech.
    Last edited by sinohptik; 05-31-2010 at 06:18 PM.
    Tyndin, Tynzerg, Gamha, Aphophus, Silasteel and... others.. i cant remember! On Cannith and proud member of Oort Cloud.

Interesting, I'm not very tech savvy.

Does this really work?

How can I tell if any of my flash drives are "Hi-Speed"?

I have an old computer and DDO barely runs, I can only manage 3-4 fps in a raid. I'd love to see if this could help that out any.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunga View Post
    Well, Brick Wall, I'm not saying you'd have to stop calling people idiots while you solo.

Myrdinn, when was the last time you defragged your hard drives? DDO frags like mad.
    M O R T A L V O Y A G E
    Permadeath Guild
    Stay Hard

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Executie View Post
    Interesting, I'm not very tech savvy.

Does this really work?

How can I tell if any of my flash drives are "Hi-Speed"?

I have an old computer and DDO barely runs, I can only manage 3-4 fps in a raid. I'd love to see if this could help that out any.
    the idea behind it is sound, though i have not personally tested it. Though, there are numerous things i would suggest to improve gaming performance before moving a client/executable into an external solid state drive.
    Tyndin, Tynzerg, Gamha, Aphophus, Silasteel and... others.. i cant remember! On Cannith and proud member of Oort Cloud.

The computer I tried it was lagging bad after a fresh reinstall, dunno if it could have help to defrag it. but one thing im sure, a USB flash drive is faster than a hard drive, and for 20 bucks, I though it worth it. And as a plus now I can play DDO on any computer I want, just need to keep my usb on me

The question is more why NOT do it, since the flash is faster than a 7200 hdd and it also mean you don't have to worry about defrag anymore :P
    Last edited by Myrdinn; 05-31-2010 at 09:46 PM.

Xalekk - 18pal/2rog Xalek - 18barb/2rog
    Xalekia - 18Rng/1Mnk/1Rog Alekian - 12wiz/6mnk/2ftr
    Cynvan - 18Clr/2Mnk Aleathiel - 20 sorc

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdinn View Post
    USB flash drive is faster than a hard drive
    Not faster than all hard drives

For 20, i would look into RAM. And defragging your HDD should be done on a consistent basis, no matter the computer, or where the DDO client is run from. though, i will say, having a thumb drive is extremely handy overall.

Either way, im not doubting it helps things, only that i personally would pursue other options for the money if i was looking to quantitatively boost gaming performance, and not simply make it "playable"
    Last edited by sinohptik; 05-31-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Community Member

THis will only improve speed if you have a bad hard drive(In this case I'm just going to describe bad as slow transfer rate) in your computer....While flash drives are solid state, USB 2.0 has a slower transfer rate than SATA. Most USB pen drives will definitely not have a better transfer rate than the average new SATA II hard drive. Not to mention the overheads of USB.

A storage medium is only as fast as it's slowest bottleneck, the USB interface here is actually slower than the flash memory of the USB stick.

if USB pen drives were that good, solid state internal hard drives would never exist, as people would just load up on cheap pen drives.

My advice, if your hard drive is slowing you down is to get a second identical ne and set up a RAID 0 array. My hard drives are /considerably/ faster than a USB drive due to this.
    Last edited by Maxson; 05-31-2010 at 09:52 PM.

I use a game booster and defrag my game files before I re-launch each time...it seems to have helped plus it shuts down any annoying update thingy's like window updates and other program updates.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxson View Post
    *snip*
    A good amount of people still use IDE, believe it or not.

Beyond all that though, id rather the investments i make let me turn knobs higher than just making it more playable

I still prefer a SSD boot drive and then main storage, as opposed to a RAID array. Doing a RAID array on most OEM computers can also be tricky...

edit: though, i will say having a boot sector, saved onto a thumb drive, can be a lifesaver!
    Last edited by sinohptik; 05-31-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Community Member

Tips for cleaning up a system:

1) Try to have DDO installed on a different partition or even better a different hard drive from your main windows partition/hard drive.

2) Defragment all partitions. Auslogics Disk Defrag is a good tool for this purpose, the inbuilt windows defrag tools just aren't as good.

3) Full Virus and Spyware check. AVG Antivirus Free Edition and Spybot - Search & Destroy (www.safer-networking.org) are good tools.

4) At least 2 gigs of ram in your machine, preferably 4 gig.

5) A dedicated 3D video card, 256 MB one should be sufficient. 512MB preferred.

6) Clean your Registry, for first time you can try Auslogics Boost Speed as that will do several types of clean ups on your system. You can also get a hold of Advanced System Care Free Edition.

7) If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can plug a compatible USB Flash Drive in and use that as extra ram. Windows will give you the option if you wish to use it as such, it needs to be a clean usb flash drive.

8) Ensure windows is fully up to date, and that all drivers especially the graphics drivers are also.

9) After doing all that, run Disk Defrag again :-)
    Visit the DDO Wiki! Unique items: Quest Rewards - Raid Loot - Chest Loot - Item Sets
    DDO Store List, with references on how you can gain items ingame for free!

Community Member

I strongly recommend AGAINST using AVG, i, and some previous clients, have had some severe difficulties with that program...

I personally prefer Avira. Microsoft also puts out a nice set of free AV tools. Otherwise, thank you for typing that out so i didnt have to I would also throw in: Upgrade your Power Supply. Get a Good one, but dont worry about huge numbers. A PC Power and Cooling 370w will be more than enough to handle any standard single card system, and can be carried to any new computer as long as certain standards dont change.. They can be found, on sale, for around $30.00. This also allows to upgrade individual components a lot more easily. Dont buy a low cost power supply, ever. I personally stick with Corsair or PC Power and Cooling, though there are some other good ones too.

Most OEM power supplies are barely sufficient, and when they die, they can literally take everything in your computer with them (including HDD).

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by sinohptik View Post
    I strongly recommend AGAINST using AVG, i, and some previous clients, have had some severe difficulties with that program....
    Strange, neither me, nor any of my clients have had any problems using AVG. Just one of those weird things.
    Visit the DDO Wiki! Unique items: Quest Rewards - Raid Loot - Chest Loot - Item Sets
    DDO Store List, with references on how you can gain items ingame for free!

have you tried just putting the program on a second drive on your computer itself? It should do the same thing
    Cannon fodder build The Stalwart Defender, Raid Tank
    Worst Shroud PUG EVER!!!!!! Epic Fail (started 1/13/10, necro'd 3/9/10, 4/20/10, raised dead 3/ 9/11, necro'd 4/9/11, 5/28/11, fame petition necro 8/5/11, necro'd 9/30/11, KIA 10/3/11, True reincarnated famed (by cleric Cordovan) 10/4/11,

Almost most all MMOs are

50% video card
    20% ram
    15% HD
    5% CPU
    5% sound card
    5% Defrag the darn drive!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    *pokes the patch with a stick* get out there you,
    Quote Originally Posted by Tolero View Post
    We were pretty up front that the twf update was going to be a nerf regardless of lag or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
    Um, I'm almost afraid to ask, but exactly just what is 'sneak humping'?

Never tried it with DDO, but when I was playing Vanguard, I used to copy the heavy use files to a RAM Drive to speed things up. Worked pretty well for that game. You need a lot of RAM though.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCalico View Post
    Almost most all MMOs are

50% video card
    20% ram
    15% HD
    5% CPU
    5% sound card
    5% Defrag the darn drive!
    Actually WoW is very CPU intensive and not nearly as graphics intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraMonk2 View Post
    Tips for cleaning up a system:

1) Try to have DDO installed on a different partition or even better a different hard drive from your main windows partition/hard drive.

2) Defragment all partitions. Auslogics Disk Defrag is a good tool for this purpose, the inbuilt windows defrag tools just aren't as good.

3) Full Virus and Spyware check. AVG Antivirus Free Edition and Spybot - Search & Destroy (www.safer-networking.org) are good tools.

4) At least 2 gigs of ram in your machine, preferably 4 gig.

5) A dedicated 3D video card, 256 MB one should be sufficient. 512MB preferred.

6) Clean your Registry, for first time you can try Auslogics Boost Speed as that will do several types of clean ups on your system. You can also get a hold of Advanced System Care Free Edition.

7) If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7, you can plug a compatible USB Flash Drive in and use that as extra ram. Windows will give you the option if you wish to use it as such, it needs to be a clean usb flash drive.

8) Ensure windows is fully up to date, and that all drivers especially the graphics drivers are also.

9) After doing all that, run Disk Defrag again :-)
    The flash drive is not used as extra ram. It replaces your swapfile, not using the hard drive. In effect, it's an implementation of the OP that boosts the overall system speed by a bit.

If you want to do this you have to have a USB 2.0 port and a compatable flash drive. When you plug it in the popup window will ask if you want to use the device for "Speedboost".
    Carpe D.M.! (Sieze the Dungeon Master!)
    Founder #2003 - Interocitor Repair - Call for discount prices